(Close Window)
Topic: Card Manip. Gimmick
What is the card manipulation gimmick that can let you spead your fingers wide and produce a card from the air. Manipulation style. If you look closely (and I've seen Peter Marvey and Jason Latimer use it) you can see something on their right ring finger. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this gimmick and where they are available.
I owned one several years ago,that was a flesh colored piece of metal with ears
attached to hold the cards. It also had a ring attached to slip over the middle
finger.
This is the only one that I'm familiar with. I did not like it at all. The first
two or three cards realeased o.k. but then they came out several at a time.
Also, being attached to the finger, by the ring, the movements were very limited,
and mechanical. My advice is to just keep praticing.
Same here. I bought the gimmick several years ago and used it once in performance. Very limiting in what you can do. Stealing and ditching is a problem. Get the McBride videos and learn the techniques
I agree too, practice gives much more, but if you still want it, search for Card Catcher.
I am very good with card manip, I was just wondering what the darn thing was. It fooled me when I saw Marvey perform it and like the "openess" it allows. Thanks guys!
Hi Josh:

I think the device you're asking about is different than what's being offered. For many years, there's been a device that is supposed to help you produce single cards one at a time. Like the others have said, it's better to learn how to back palm using sleight of hand.

The method that Peter Marvey used on the WGM show is different, and one that he's not shared with anybody else, as far as I know. There was some controversy and confusion when Peter Marvey released his manipulation cards a number of years ago. People thought they were getting the new "fingers spread" method when he was selling standard manipulations cards like Nielsen Magic cards.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the situation. It sure looked good when he was spreading his fingers while producing those cards on the TV special. I'd pay to learn how he does it.

Ron
I think you'll find it's a form of HO
Has anyone experimented with the deep back palm to achieve a similar effect without gimmicks?

Dennis
[quote]
On 2005-08-14 19:18, Daveandrews wrote:
I think you'll find it's a form of HO
[/quote]

What does that mean, "HO?"
Holdout

dave
Whats the name of the holdout ?

Is't available I'm current dealers ?
There is no name, it was a question, Peter Marvey has not tipped what he does or uses (if he uses anything) yet!

Sit back and think! The question you could ask is NOT what does Peter Marvey use, but rather how can I do that effect using what I know?

Right off the top of my headI can think of two different gimmicks/methods that can give you this effect. They will only work on stage and not close-up.
It's not a Holdout. Follow Harry's advice. It is similar to what is described above, but applied and used very differently. In my opinion the effect is worth it, but no it is not on the market to the best of my knowledge. But yes, you could reproduce the effect with a little imagination and some ingenuity.
Hey Jeb it's good to see you on the Magic Café again.
Tis good to be back :)
I had this gimmick a while ago too. I didn't like it at all. I would rather learn it the real way and do it like that. I feel it is more magical.

Jim
Marvey's gimmick is proprietary and not something he will release. You're better off learning the split fan or single card production using sleight of hand. Card producers get in the way.
I saw a video of him last night - it most certainly is a HO. A 'mini' one at that, but a HO.

Dave
Lance Burton gets gasps every night with his routine. And guess what...no holdout! It's not 'what you do', but 'how you do it', meaning how well you ENTERTAIN.
Sure the finger spreading very cool, but instead of getting all gaffed up for one portion of one trick in an entire show, you'd be better off working on an interesting presentation for your card manipulation routine.
Just my 2,000 pesos...

Ben S
Ben - never a truer word!

Dave
From what I know of holdouts, it is not a Holdout, a holdout is a device that straps to the arm or uses a pulley system underneath the coat or shirt. You could not do the Marvey single card production with the Kohler Holdout.

It is simply more acturally called a card production device or card producer or better yet, Peter Marvey's custom card producer gimmick.
Wm - Wish I had thought of that!!
It's what I meant. I would still categorise it as a 'form of' hold out because of the way in which he has to use it to make it work.

But what the heck, we know what we mean!!

Dave