(Close Window)
Topic: Book Test
What is the best book test to buy (money is no object in this question)?
:pepper: :spinningcoin: :pepper:
That all depends on whether you want the spectator to freely handle the book. There are many out there that cannot be handled. The two best using non-gimmicked books in my opinion are Max Maven's Autome and Greg Edmund's Triple Threat book test. Do not confuse the Triple Threat available on ebay with this effect. The creator has told me they are not his and are not authorized by him. If you want to know where to get Triple Threat PM me and I will send you his website.

Samuel
What about Final Book Test? Not knowing how it is done and just reading about it, it seems amazing. I would assume that if the spectator handles everything it would see greater. Am I wrong?
I PMed you.
There's no doubt in my mind or in the mind of many many professionals that the "Mother Of All Book Tests" is the best out there right now. Very direct and uncomplicated.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :kewl:
Do you have a link to more info on that Mother Of All Book Tests? Perhaps a link to where to purchase it?
[quote]
On 2002-10-28 16:11, sethbek wrote:
Do you have a link to more info on that Mother Of All Book Tests? Perhaps a link to where to purchase it?
[/quote]

Sure, contact Marc Sky at Mindread@aol.com. He and Ted K are partners in this venture. He may have a few available. tell him Smetana suggested you write.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :kewl:
You're all wrong! David Hoy's Bold Book test is IT! Link this with the classic book test for the first book you handle and you get two book tests for the price of one. By the way... here's a tip that's worth trying out. (You''ll need to work out your own method because I'm not going into much detail) but make your selected page a chapter page. Then, when revealing the "first word, first line"... say something like. "No, hang on. You're confused. It's a chapter break, isn't it? Turn to the next page...(which, of course, you already know) and BANG you have something that never fails to convince!
This one has never failed to floor the participant.
Looks like I've created some contraversy regarding the best book test! :)
What about that really expensive one- Final Book Test?
Im loving all this feedback!! THANKS PEOPLE!!
Go with the Hoy. The tip Drewmcadam gave will boost its effectiveness immeasurably.
The Hoy can be done anywhere, at any time, with any books. I've picked up a couple of magazines in a newsstand & done it for a couple of reporters--writing my thoughts on the back of my business card, by the way.
It's in THE BOLD & SUBTLE MYSTERIES OF DR. FAUST & maybe in other places I don't know about. I published a minor variation of it in MAGICK.
Here is an extensive thread on this subject I started last year-

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=240&forum=15

:bat:
Whoa...thanks!
Hello Seth:

You asked, what the best booktest to buy is.

Here is my honest answer:

YOUR OWN!!!

ESPecially and MAGICally

TED LESLEY
I have to agree with Ted. I do a book test that I came up with after seeing Autome, and it uses parts of that idea, but I also use the other two books and do a piece that I learned from Richard Mark's book. I now have a 3 phase routine that builds on itself and the Autome` section is the last part. The results have gotten me major applause at the end (it would have been a standing ovation, but everyone was sitting down and I hate to impose).
Rick
Actually it is not that difficult to make your own test. A lot of online books-on-demand publisher will print your text exactly as you write it. They will never know they made a "prop".

Wont be cheaper then MOAB, but probably more fun:-)

-Mahlstrom
[quote]
On 2002-10-28 14:36, sethbek wrote:
What about Final Book Test? Not knowing how it is done and just reading about it, it seems amazing. I would assume that if the spectator handles everything it would see greater. Am I wrong?
I PMed you.
[/quote]

Do you mean Harvey Berg's Final Exam Book Test?

If so, the participant handles the book and chooses any page. It is very good, but in my opinion and apparently many other's, the Mother Of All Booktests is the very best one out and also the easiest.....and also the most expensive. :bg:

Keith Fields has a good booktest called INSIGHT. Some folks like it better than FINAL EXAM, but I'm not one of those folks who thinks it is better than FINAL EXAM. In fact, I would be willing to trade it for something that was comparible in value and like new.

For a fairly inexpensive (compared to others) booktest, try Larry Becker's ULTIMATE FLASHBACK. It is very good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg....$65 if I recall correctly.

Jerry Cargile
Autome is my favorite. effect : 5 spectators write down 5 numbers. An other spectator is given the book. He chooses one number among the 5, opens the book at this page and read the first line. The mentalist draw a design relative with what is written in line read by the spectator.

In fact, the effect demand a normal book but with a such caracteristic. It seem difficult to find but in reality it's very EASY to find. Ten minutes after watching the tape I had my own book (found in my libary)

Best regards, Karl

It's not really a book test but I like too "Newspaper test" of Al Koran. Even better and easier that most book test. And for public, I believe basicly effect is the same that a book test.

Best regards, Karl
Friends:
Larry Becker´s "Ultimate Flashback" is in my humble opinion the cheapest and the best. It has nearly every good booktest in the world incorporated in it!

It has my highest recommendation!!!

(Larry, for this "plug" you owe me another 200 bucks!)

ESPecially & MAGICally

TED LESLEY
I use a combination now of "silver bullet"
"Hoy book test", mixed in with the presentation of Chan Canasta's book test.

E-Leoni.
Since you asked, IMO the best is the Mother of all Booktests. I use that and Larry Becker's Ultimate Flashback ( a very close second) in my shows about 99% of the time. For totally impromptu, I use Silver Bullet.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Don't forget "A Word In Thousands," Al Koran's marvelous creation. The book can be a current best seller if you like (and don't mind going to the trouble of remaking the gimmick from time to time); the subject can choose ANY word from ANY page; there is NO pumping or fishing; NO forcing of the page or word (the subject opens the book anywhere he pleases and remembers any word on either page); NO repeated words, paragraphs or passages (the text is completely ungimmicked and as printed by the publisher); NO requirement that the subject reveal the page number (if you want, the performer can discern and reveal the page number as part of the test); and the selection is done completely out of the performer's hands (out of the room if, if you'd prefer). What's more, you can do the "test" with multiple subjects and/or multiple words. I like to use two subjects, each of whom chooses a different word on a different page. The first word is discerned by the performer picking the same word from the same page as the first subject. In this instance, I have the first subject reveal the page number and I open the book to that page; then I ask the subject a series of questions for the stated purpose of enabling me to climb inside his head (as might a psychiatrist or criminal profiler, for example) and hopefully replicate the choice he made a moment ago. For the second word, which can be selected either immediately following the first selection or after the first selection is revealed (I like the second way because of a lovely handling that totally disguises and seems to eliminate the method), the book is disposed of and the performer divine's the word (and page, if he wishes) through an apparent demonstration of direct thought transference.
I am with the other fans of the Hoy test, and Autome. I combined both of those, and use it to great success. :devilish:
What about Master Key Booktest from Martin
Breese/Terry Seabrooke? Anyone partial to this? Is it not MOAB and components of Ultimate Flashback rolled into one? Comments?
O.k., just because I never see it mentioned, and with the right presentation accomplishes all a booktest should:

I get alot of mileage out of the old "clip book" described in Corinda's 13 steps.
I have been using Ultimate Flashback for years and love it. There is so much that can be done with it! For the money I consider it a best buy.

Stan :comply:
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Nov 4, 2002 10:14PM)
It is interesting that no one said anything about Richard Osterlinds's 'SeaFire Sequence'
It is a killer.

Ray Noble
Is "A word in thousands"the Derren Brown book test?The one with the librarian that he passes off as photo reading.If not which one does he use? :hmm: :magicrabbit:
Harry,

I'd like to know which one Derren used, also. I know nothing about book tests, but this was a VERY impressive effect. Does anyone know?
If memory serves me right, it should on page 108 of "The encyclopedia of mentalism as performed on TV", 3rd ed., 2d volume, by Nepomuk Resnizfoh.

Nennat probably has the exclusive rights for tihs series. Try to email them !

Hope this helps !
An earlier post mentioned the Master Key. I know a famous mentalist who was doing some corporate work in Las Vegas and dropped by the local magic shop to pick up a copy of the Master Key.

I have found great success with this booktest. I wonder why it is not more popular....

Any comments???

mike
Julien:
Very funny!
[quote]
On 2002-10-29 08:21, TLesley wrote:

You asked, what the best booktest to buy is.
Here is my honest answer: YOUR OWN!!!
[/quote]

Check out Richard Busch's "Number...Please?" It's not a book test, but his "Unknown Force" uses a nearly invisible mathematical force (when employed correctly) that should yield some amazing results. You can tailor the method to the sort of effect you want to present.

If you tailor your presentation away from the "knows ALL, sees ALL" angle, and use an "instrument of fate" approach, Busch's formula can provide you with a novel test that affects the participants on a deeper level.

Added bonus: A thin book (preferably under 150 pages) is best suited for this method. However a little foresight, a good memory (or crib sheet) and a keen sense of observation will provide you with multiple "outs" if you choose to use a thicker book.

Think of it this way...you're only required to be intimately familiar with 1% of the printed material offered to the audience while performing an effect that gives the illusion of having mastered (either through psychic claims, or a photographic memory) 100% of the material offered to the spectator.

Not a bad prep-work to effect ratio.

Here's my take on it...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=15245&forum=82#0
Somebody incorrectly listed the price of Ultimate Flashback. It's available postpaid for $79.50. Five paperbacks and a dictionary. The new instructions are 28 pages long and include how to change the covers on paperbacks in a matter of minutes. The instructions for Ultimate Flashback can also be found in my latest book, Stunners-Plus. And a little bit of news, I am in the process of producing a new type of booktest in conjunction with Lee Earle. It should be available in a couple of months. I think you are going to love it! Yep. That's a prediction!
That sounds really exciting Larry ! Have you considered putting up a website like Lee's with a selection of e-books to purchase ! Or, even doing something like what the "Ellusionist" is doing, offering video downloads for sale. I bet it would go over "Big" !
Regards,
John................ :cool:
I use Larry's UFB, in one way or another, in most shows. If you use your imagination a bit, you can come up with several more ways to use this excellent book test. IMO,it is, along with MOAB, the best there is.
best regards,
Tony Razzano
My instructions for Ultimate Flashback include my routine which does in fact make use of Ultimate Flashback and the MOAB. Incidentally if anyone has U.F. and does not have the expanded instructions, (I believe it comes with 13-25 pages while the currecnt one consists of 28 pages) contact me offline and I'll download it to you.

I meant to say that it comes with 13-15 pages from dealers. Mine come with 28.
Regarding, choice of a book test, a lot would depend on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something to fool the boys at the magic club. There are dozens of relatively low priced book tests around. Remember , my dictum, that expensive tests are ones you never use. Cheap tests are ones you use over and over especially when you're getting paid
At the other side of the chain are the higher priced tomes. Becker's U. Flashback, might be the best compromise. I own mosty of the booktests and truthfully, that and the Mother are the ones I use most of the time. But if I did two shows a year, I doubt, I'd spend the money for the Mother.
I've checked out Insight and Final Exam, while they have supporters, I'm not one of them
from
Ford
Hi,
"The Key" sold by Martin Breese was invented by the late Terri Rogers. "A word in Thousands" is an Al Koran effect, which is sold in an improved version at Tannen´s in New York, but there is another booktest of Al Koran, which you can make by yourself in a couple of minutes. You`ll find it in the book "Professional Presentations" which is still available. My late friend Stanton Carlisle described in one of his books a very clever booktest. For this you can use any book you can get hold of in a restaurant or hotel. The gimmick is a small pad of paper, which is clearly descreibed in my book "Paramiracles". This booktest is easy and powerful and I do it in every show.

ESPecially
Does anyone have an opinion on Steve Duscheck's Famous Quotations Book Test?

Incidentally, I remember reading an article several years ago. Can't remember who wrote it, but he mentioned an interesting presentation idea. He had acquired a dozen or more book tests over the years, so he'd bring them all to his show and set them on his table. He'd ask a volunteer to select a book. Whichever one was selected, that was the booktest he'd perform. Good way to stay on your toes!
As a sidenote, regarding Koran's second booktest, in his Professional Presentations, it is said in Pallbearers it had been previously invented by the late Hofzinser.

great booktest :-)
No-one seems to have answered Harry's and my question re: Derren Brown's book test with the librarian, as yet.

I understand that only the UK contingent may have seen the show. I'm very interested in knowing people's opinions on what technique was used because some of the book test techniques I've been looking at are on the expensive side and some seem very cheap (and I know nothing on the subject). If I go for something expensive I'd like to be clear that I'll get my money's worth. Derren's effect has been the only book test I've seen in a very long time so any comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Beetroot
If you search, you can find one book test that is very similar to the one you want info on, but the method, can be up-grade with today technology...or maybe just adapted for today audience...

and this book it's one of the first every mentalist must read...

don't wait until " 13 " to get it...inside this book you will find many little gem ,...try it.

Humbly opinion...lol

Kuffs
I've got a Paul Daniels book aimed at children (!!) that gives a method that could be used to duplicate the DB book test, if combined with a 'little gimmick' used by Peter Poppoff.

Cleanest method of performing this effect by far - and total chuzpah.

Kevin
'The Dream book test' is by far the best - any book, any time, anywhere - that sounds corny but hey. PM me and I'll have a word with the guy if you want to the instructions or just know more. The reason it's so good, is that magicians don't know it 'cos he doesn't advertise and is often reluctant to divulge the secret - but I think he should as I've been using it repeatedly with the same or different book - bust trick in repetoire!!.
I've used the booktest mentioned in PARAMIRACLES and it works for me. In fact there are a couple of things in that book that REALLY work for me. A little adaptation to fit my performance and off we go. Hey TED! Looking forward to the DVD!

JLibby mentioned Duscheck's booktest, any comments on it?
No one metioned the Unfaked Book Test from Val Andrews that Ian Rowland praises on his website. I am thinking of purchasing it - is there a reason I shouldn't?
[quote]
On 2002-11-29 10:08, ALEXANDRE wrote:

JLibby mentioned Duscheck's booktest, any comments on it?
[/quote]

I have it, and while I haven't performed it yet, I like it a lot. So I was just curious to know what others thought of it.

See ya...

Hmmm. Should I be surprised that no one else has a comment about the "Famous Quotations" test?

Well, anyway, I think it's cool and devious, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on living, breathing people. I'll report back when I do.

By the way, I'm also fond of the booktest that came with Penn and Teller's CRUEL TRICKS FOR DEAR FRIENDS. Too bad it wasn't made to look like a more standard paperback book.

See ya!
I just received Larry Becker's Ultimate Flashback in the mail the other day. Just reading the instructions and playing around with it, I can already see so many incredible variations, especially when combined with other book tests (i.e. Max Maven's Autome). This is very exciting material.

Ultimate Flashback is really a very good deal, I would have paid much more for it. Anyone looking for a booktest will find this one very valuable.
I have Larry's Ultimate Flashback as well and really like it. I appreciated his extra instructions on the effect in Stunners Plus!, another fantastic book of his.

- Richard
Best marketed book test for the money: Larry Becker's Ultimate FB

Best impromptu book test: Hoy's (with a little added deception--see Stunners or Stunners Plus)

Best gimmicked book test: (tie) MOAB and Master Key

But my all-time favorite book test is: Jack Dean's Dictionary Test

Hofzinser also invented a beautiful book test that should be "reinvented." His presentation was almost "bizarre."
I read and purchased a lot of gimmicked and improptu book-tests but when i perform i always do my own version of Hoy's book test which it is similar with Canasta's method.
Hi, Booktester´s

Hofzinser (* July 19th. 1806 - +11.03.1875) invented not one, but four booktests. The best of the lot is "Das Wort" (The Word) in my opinion, which I tried out a couple of times on private parties and it had everytime a lasting impression. In 1948 the German Magician Marvelli, who performed it in all his shows, had the booktest remade for sale by Germany´s most famous magic dealer "Conradi Horster". About 30 years ago the new owner of the shop, the late Mr. Peter Ülsmann, discovered in a drawer about 25 copies of the booktest and sold them for Deutsche Marks 20,00 (In Dollars $ 10.00) and I bought three of them. One went to my late friend Al Mann and the other two are in my collection. Believe me, the booktest is outstanding. If you want to know more about it, feel free to ask.

Hofzinser had another, very spooky and bizarre Effect invented, which would be a sensation on any stage today. It went something like this: From a book was a page freely selected. Another book was put by the performer on a table nearby and this book opened all by itself on the free selected page! Wonderful!

ESPecially

TED

:bat: :bat: :bat:
The book test you use depends on your personality, the audience, and the situation.
My personal favourite is "Headline Hunter" by Fogel.
I agree that "building your own" (otherwise known as routining) is the way to go.

I'm currently doing primarily the Al Koran test that Ted Lesley mentioned, with convincers from Banachek, which builds to a seemingly more-impossible Hoy-inspired tossed-out-deck-style sequence (Curry), and finishes with a totally impossible and unexpected Pegasus Page (Emerson). It looks complicated on paper, but believe me, it's a very logical routine in performance!

For impromptu, I like the one in Richard Mark's Mind Warp. Busch's impromptu version of MOAB is also quite nice (in Peek Performances).
Ne plus ultra and moabt, are the only booktests that I have never dropped.Ive done val andrews insight double vision autome etc.These two or should I say four books will stay with me always.They are the best of the best.
I think the great thing about book tests is that there are virtually an unlimited number of methods you could use, and almost as many variations on the final effect. Far more than a drawing dupe or ACAAN or other popular effects. So my thought is: why spend money on a version that's already been done? I bet you already have books on your shelf that are full of parts and pieces, ideas and inspiration. That's my perspective, anyway. But then again, I haven't settled on a version of my own yet, so what do I know?
[quote]
On 2011-06-02 19:50, magic in mind wrote:
Ne plus ultra and moabt, are the only booktests that I have never dropped.Ive done val andrews insight double vision autome etc.These two or should I say four books will stay with me always.They are the best of the best.
[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. "Best of the best" is always a subjective assessment.

BTW, I'm not the only one wondering what it is that has prompted "magic in mind" to resurrect long dormant threads on book tests in order to reiterate his personal opinion about two of the more than 2,500 book tests that comprise the genre.
I think the book test performance here is noteworthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8dqTPMdlE

Regards,
Mike