(Close Window)
Topic: How to use Muscle Pass?
Hello there!
I just can do the muscle pass. But no master at it.
I think muscle pass is much like a flourish. Doing it nakedly under spectator's eyes.
Can the muscle pass be used as a secret move in a routine? Is this routine very hard to handle?
I'm a Chinese coin magic lover. Any feedback is appreciated.
The muscle pass is a utility move that you can ditch with.
I am currently learning the muscle pass for one routine in particular, Daniel Garcia's "Quarters", a coin through glass routine.

I never saw a need to learn it until now. :D

By the way, this effect is available on Daniel Garcia's recently released Daniel Garcia Project vol. 3.

Steve
Yeah, I saw that in the beginning of his torn vhs. He does a few things that included before he gets into torn (to bad he doesn't teach them). Anyway yeah, ive heard of people who use it to show both hands empty. I also saw another man utilize it as a production of a coin. He showed his left hand empty closed it and reopened it to reveal a coin.
Thanks all above.

My doing mucle pass is unnatural. I don't know the detail moves utilizing muscle pass. So I dare not do it for a routine.

Does the moves utilizing muscle pass look natural and convincingly?
You can use it to ditch a coin into a topit with very little movement. Or as Chad Long does, you can shoot it into a coin purse as you dump out the coins from the purse onto the hand.
Here's a nice interlude production with many variations and uses found in my Unlectured Lecture Notes. I call it the MP Pitch.

Classic p*** a morgan in your right hand and finger p*** a morgan in your left hand. Using subtlety approach the spectator with both hands 'empty'.

Reach out and produce the morgan as if you're going to begin a coin roll but stop and hold the morgan before you begin the roll.

Now reach over with your right hand to take the left hand morgan and MP pitch the classic p*** morgan 'softly' into your left hand finger p*** as the right finger tips take the left hand morgan. The proximity of the hands, the cover of taking the coin as you're pitching, and the horizontal 'flight' of the pitch is perfect in concealing the transfer.

Now you can go to a miser's bucket or your pocket with the right hand coin and classic p*** it as the left hand produces 'another' coin the same way.

Repeat until nausea sets it. This accomplishes the same thing as a Sylvester Pitch but with much less movement and all in the context of natural actions.
I've played around with Charlie's idea in the past and it certainly does work. I prefer not using the MP in that situation. There can be a noise issue. I prefer to use my own [b]Pivoting Changeover Palm[/b] or my [b]Flying Changeover Palm[/b] to accomplish the same function. They're both described in my new book.
Shoot Ogawa has some great routines using the muscle pass which you can see in the DVD Cultural Exchange 1
[quote]
On 2005-08-25 12:16, milamber wrote:
I am currently learning the muscle pass for one routine in particular, Daniel Garcia's "Quarters", a coin through glass routine.

I never saw a need to learn it until now. :D

By the way, this effect is available on Daniel Garcia's recently released Daniel Garcia Project vol. 3.

Steve

[/quote]
Dose Dan teach the Muscle Pass? Is the Muscle Pass in Bobo because I can't seam to find it in there?
If you have a topit, the muscle pass is great for ditching a coin. Also, look at one phase of Shoot Ogawa's coin's to glass routine. He uses it quite a bit as Jordini stated.

I like to use it covertly as a changeover. Not often as much as I like to just do the good ol' coin falling up.

In an older Genii Magazine, there is a routine called Jet Coins Across. I forget the guy's name. But he does the routine cleanly using the muscle pass in a few ways. Even using it as a click pass! Its genius! Look through some back issues if you have any means to do so and check it out.

Have fun with it. See what you can come up with. I am sure that you could come up with at least 5 ways of using it covertly. :) Let us know if you ever do. :)

Brian
There is no muscle pass in Bobo. Go to Dan Watkin's excellent site where he teaches how to do the MP in his Foundations section.
[b]http://www.coinvanish.com/[/b]
Tobias Pashia has a pretty cool muscle pass effect which will be on his next dvd..

its cool, gets great reaction.
Shoot Ogawa uses it to vanish a coin in his hand. Check out cultural exchange
vol-1.

Lukas
[quote]
On 2005-08-28 20:46, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
There is no muscle pass in Bobo. Go to Dan Watkin's excellent site where he teaches how to do the MP in his Foundations section.
[b]http://www.coinvanish.com/[/b]
[/quote]
I don't mean to be rude by asking this, but my answer to the question to get to Dan's MP was wrong. Can someone please give me a hint? Thanks.
Evolve, I will PM you the password.
On my DVD 'Tied' I use it in lieu of a coin on the head ala Ammar's Coins Across. It gets great reactions from spectator's. Dan reviewed the DVD on his site. Also there is an easter egg routine (Dan tells you how to get there) on 'Tied', One of the sequences uses what Charlie described above as the MP pitch. I came up with the same idea (can't wait to session with you Charlie!) independently and it is amazing how far apart you hands can be and still do the MP deceptively!

A friend of mine (Mike Eaton) uses it to shoot a coin up a spectator's sleeve for a very cool coins across effect.
The MP is a wonderful tool to add to the arsenal if you don't already use it. Dan's explanation is accurate and will aid anyone willing to put in the time and effort learning it.
Cheers,
JTW
I use a muscle pass for two routines.

The first one is to "explain" how the magic is done. I start by doing a French Dr*p, then hold hands about a foot apart and kind of wiggle the hand that has the "coin", and say, did you see it jump? Then show the coin in the other hand. Then I proceed to "explain" how I did it. This time I actually take the coin (not FD), then show them what the wiggle looks like in slow motion. This is when I muscle pass the coin over to the other hand. Then I repeat the first part again to show them yet again at full speed.

The second way I use a muscle pass is to make a coin fall up. Muscle pass the coin upwards, then ask the spectator if they know how it's done. Then tell them it's a rubber coin, and do the rubber coin move... then drop the coin on a hard surface. Every time, the specator will grab the coin and try to make it bend. Of course, sometimes I have also switched in a pre-bent coin before I drop it, and that makes the mystery even more amazing!

TomK
I cant do it (yet) but I know there is a coins across, 3 fly type routine that is based upon the shuttle pass. It is great because it uses no gaffs, no extra coins, the coins can even be signed. I cant remember where I heard about it from...

Derek Merdinyan
Cultural exchange 1+2 show very unique ways to utilize the muscle pass. my hands are fairly large so its hard for me to do a muslce pass anything smaller than a poker chip so ya, not much utility for me =(. must need small h ands to do muslce pass with quarters
The Muscle Pass was first explained in Arthur Buckley's "Principles and Deceptions", available as a Dover reprint for very little money. It was originally used to produce a coin from an obviously empty hand. The left hand is shown open and empty, the right hand is waved in front of the left and the left closes into a fist. Another wave, and it is opened to reveal a coin. The hands are kept quite a distance apart, giving the impression that there is no way for a coin to have been passed from one to the other. All of this circa 1940, sixty-plus years ago!

Best, PSC
Thanks for the coinmanipulation link, this is gonna help alot!
I have seen a couple of the local fellows doing what Paul describes (from the Buckly book) with one significant addition.

The "catching" hand is never closed. The coin appears under a wave of the hand.

A very nice, almost, covert, use of the move.
Dan Watkins had a nifty use for producing a coin from a coffee cup if I'm not mistaken.
I have played with the MP as an aquitment, retention vanish into LH, LH opened and the coin is coin, MP the coin from R to L on the off beat and the RH is shown empty ...
I've used it to put a coin through a table at times. I do it standing and the table top needs a cloth or close-up pad on it. The coin is openly laying on palm up right hand (in MP position), and I put my hand under the table with it lying there. As my hand dips out of sight I simultaneously place my Left hand palm down on the table at least a foot from the edge. The Left hand shades the Right hand which MP's the coin up, over the edge of the table, and under the Left hand.

It seems like a logical thing to do so I'm sure others have thought of it before.

Ronnie Ramin
In Richard Kauffman's COINMAGIC there is a routine near the back where a coin is visible put through a table into a spectator's hand via the MP. Worth a look, especially for evenings around a coffee table.
I use the MP to make a silver dollar suddenly reappear in my hand after showing (ala "wiped clean" aquitment) both hands empty. There's more to the routine than that, but the MP makes the coin seem to pop out of nowhere.