(Close Window)
Topic: Key-r-ect 7 keys padlock
Hi all, I am trying to find information on the history and inventor of the master brand padlock and the correct title of this trick. I know it as Key-r-ect or 7 keys lock.

any accurate help would be appreciated.

Ian McColl
I believe this effect was originally known as "Seven Keys to Baldpate," which is a reference to a mystery novel, not sure of the author (Earl Biggers?). The inventor of the trick itself may have been Ted Annemann.

Key-r-rect was a mechanical version of the same effect, and I believe it was marketed in the 1960's. Hopefully someone else can fill in some of these blanks for us. SETH
Hi Seth, thank you. I am told the inventor of the Master brand padlock version died in the last few years and can you tell me if it was Ted Annemann who made this version until his death.

Ian
Ian -- I don't believe Annemann produced Key-r-rect because he died in the 1940's, and Key-r-rect wasn't produced until the 1950's or 60's. I also think Annemann's version of this effect did not require a gaffed lock, but relied on other means.

FYI, there is a new version of this effect being marketed by Viking, called the "Hemingway Lock." It uses a very large padlock, which I assume is gaffed in some way. See http://www.vikingmagiccompany.com/?nd=full&key=91

I don't know why, but this effect always interested me. I don't perform mentalism and have never performed this trick, but was always intrigued by it. As you probably know, you really don't need a fancy gimmicked lock, you can accomplish the same thing by buying a neat-looking lock at your local hardware store along with some extra keys, and then working up the necessary switches either manually with sleight of hand or by using one of several well-known gimmicks. SETH
The gentleman who made the Key-r-rect was Merrill Magic. I think he was from Louisana.

Keys to Bladplate is the same effect but a totally non mechanical method.

Richard
Hi Richard, thank you, do you know the name of the inventor and when he passed away?

Ian
Though Key-R-Rect and Hemingway Lock(a Collectors' Workshop item) are both mechanical, the methods differ. In Key-R-Rect the spectator can open the lock at the end, while Hemingway Lock requires the performer to open the lock.
...and then there's Ken Allen's (?) Lock of Gibralter that works a tad differently and all the other Monte-type locks and locks through plastic frame variations that work on yet a different principle.
Hi, thanks for the slightly off topic information all given with the best intensions but this seeking of information is important to me.

I am hoping to find out before the end of the week.

Can any tell me the maker's name, the inventor of the Key-r-ect padlock trick using a Master brand padlock??

cheers

Ian
The original instruction sheet is signed by Carl Wolf. The address is:
Merriss Magic*1462 S. Elaine Drive*Baton Rouge, LA 70815.
I think http://www.stevensmagic.com still has a few sets left.
Carl Woolfe is the man.

Richard
Thank you all, just in the nick of time, I aslo got a private email to say it was Karl Wolf from Baton Rounge.

thank you all

Ian
[quote]
On 2005-09-09 20:32, Ian McColl wrote:
Thank you all, just in the nick of time, I aslo got a private email to say it was Karl Wolf from Baton Rounge.

thank you all

Ian
[/quote]

F.Y.I> It's Carl with a "C". :)
G'day Julie, thanks you for that correction, Carl Wolf (Merriss magic) of Blaine drive, Baton Rouge.
Got it! by any chance do you know where I could locate his wife as I would like to phone her about Carl's invention.

regards

Ian
No, I don't know how to reach his wife. My only contact was a friendly note he sent me when he resumed manufacturing his lock after a long hiatus. I seem to recall George Robinson @ Viking is selling this kind of apparatus now. I don't know if he is the actual manufacturer.
Hi Julie, thank you very much I will try the old number or write a letter to the old address on the original instructions, which I have just een sent.

thank you again

Ian
Probably is going to be hard to reach her right now as that part of the country is in turmoil after the hurricane Katrina.

Richard
I knew Carl Wolf. He was from Baton Rouge, LA. He died several years ago. His family gave most of his magic collection to a friend of mine. He is the inventor of the "Key-r-ect". If you would like email me or pm me and I will see if I can get either his wife or one of his children to call you or email you. I would not want to give you their contact information without their permission. My address is tim@magicbytim.com

Tim
The Hemingway lock is completely different in appearance and function from the Key - R - Rect lock.

There is a similar lock being manufactured in the US now, and Stevens Magic has some of them. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. He may have purchased the rights from the estate.

This said, there are a LOT of other methods that really look better. The Master Lock used by Merriss was a cheap -looking warded lock. A pin tumbler lock would be a much better choice.

There have been a number of them that use a gravity system to do the job.

Also, before there was Key - R - Rect, there was an effect called "The Keys of Judah" which used a pin tumbler lock. The method was different from the Merriss version.

There is a great method that uses an ungimmicked lock, which really bears consideration.

Posted: Jul 8, 2006 9:03pm
I just checked on the lock that I got from Joe Stevens. It is far superior to the old Merriss model. It has a pin tumbler lock and everything. If you want one, order the Bogus Belt. Or maybe Pete has some of them left.
If I may...I had a friend (magic dealer) that had this trick used in his show for years...about 4 years ago, he tried to find another. In his search he found that the guy that built these had passed. My friend talked to the gentlemans wife to see about rights on making the lock, as my friend (also being an enginer) figured out how to make one. Good luck in your search!
I have no more Bogus Belts, and I was not involved in the LOCK part of it, Joe Stevens took care of that aspect and I never did get a lock from him. I used the Key-R-Ect that I had laying around here for several years... but... in the routine there is a nice handling using an ungaffed lock and keys with some subtle switching, which is easy as the gag prop gives you all kinds of misdirection.
I used to put a length of chain down a guy's jacket sleeve and lock the two ends together.

Richard
[quote]
On 2006-08-25 10:53, hugmagic wrote:
I used to put a length of chain down a guy's jacket sleeve and lock the two ends together.

Richard
[/quote]
Richard it might even be funnier to chain 2 guys together.
Annemann named his version after Geo. M Cohan's hit Broadway play originally produced in 1913. It was a comedy-mystery, and has been produced many times since. I have seen several televised versions, including one in 1962 with the late Fred Gwynne.
The Hemingway lock is an excellent piece of apparatus.
The Hemingway Lock and the Key-R-Rect are like polar opposites in operation, however. I love both, and own both. Each has its own features, however. With one, the spectator can open the lock at the conclusion, with the other, the performer has to.

Steve
This is completely off the subject, but in 1960, I saw Bob Torson do a routine with a lock that was similar to this, but had a pin tumbler. Bob told me it would only work with certain Corbin locks. He could control who could and could not open the lock. It has recently been reissued under various names. I don't know the originator, but it used a gravity system to make it work.
Wow! What a lot of tooing and frowing. The story, chronologically, at least to my recollection, is that Ted Annemann originated Seven Keys to Baldpate, indeed, named after the novel by Earl Derr Biggers (the Charlie Chan creator), or, more likely, after the subsequent movies, the first in 1917, stemming from the 1913 Broadway play by George M. Cohan. It's possible that Tom Sellers' Bank Night (or, in Britain, Just Chance), as well as an earlier idea by Joseph J. Kolar, may have inspired Annemann to adapt that effect to a lock and keys. He evidently devised it to help Max Holden sell more Change Bags, specifically the smaller Spirit Bag that was manufactured by Petrie-Lewis at the time for a Sealed Message Readings switch and maybe other mental-type effects, as well. Holden must have bought a bunch in maybe a deal (possibly hoping to cash in all the residual Great Alexander wannabes who Thayer (and Alexander, for that matter) had earlier made a killing on, as did Bob Nelson later), that he evidently wanted to ratchet up sales of. Annemann's effect, which was published in March, 1931, in his one-and-only hardbound opus, The Book Without a Name, most likely helped Holden do that.

Then other versions, some using trick locks and keys were subsequently originated and some of them marketed, the Stewart Judah one, for example.

In the late '50s, I believe, or early '60s, Ken Allen Products marketed Lock of Gibraltar (neat name) by Carl Wolf, using a lock that, although reportedly sturdy, did not look quite like any lock common at that time (or since, for that matter), but with good instructions and, it appears, was used by some mentalists; and, indeed, Don Alan devised a clever routine, which, I think, was marketed separately by Ireland Magic (for 50 cents, would you believe? - roughly $8.00 in today's money, I think) as was his Chop Cup routine, then later was included in the St. Louis magic dealer, Don Lawton's Exclusive Manuscripts booklets (in Volume Four of five booklets, as I recall) and may well have been included in LOTS OF LAWTON, a compendium of the material in those "manuscripts" published by Magic Inc. around 1965. I could say for sure if I could locate my copy which has eluded me.

Sometime afterward, perhaps around the time Ken Allen sold his business to Bob Follmer (in March, 1965, according to one report), the Lock inventor, Carl Wolf, as Merriss Magic, marketed, as its one-and-only product, his Key-R-Rect (what a name - he should have stuck to the original one) using a far better lock since it was an exact replica of one of the ordinary locks prevalent at the time (Yale, I think it was) and I believe the trick mechanism was better too, from what I read (since I never owned or laid eyes on the Gibraltar original). I bought a Key-R-Rect directly from Merriss/Wolf in 1966 when I was a university student. And I know for certain that Merriss was Carl Wolf because he enclosed a separate signed letter to me, clarifying, or adding to, the instructions. At that time, his business or residence? address, was a place in Michigan, not Louisiana. Whether he actually lived there at the time, I don't know, of course. Perhaps there is a Michigan or Louisiana Forum member that might know that and even might have known Carl.

Following that, other locks were marketed - a further Judah lock, for example, marketed by - or through - Jeff Busby, the (David, presumably) Hemingway Lock and Repro 71's very clever Pentalock which overcame one limitation of Key-R-Rect: the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock.

I hope that will help clarify the situation and perhaps there may be other Forum members who may have further details to add or to correct me on.
What about the Keys Of Judah? Anyone know about it?
Yes. I mentioned it earlier. It depended on inserting a key into the lock, then moving it out one notch to make it work.
[quote]
On 2010-05-20 03:17, Bill Palmer wrote:
Yes. I mentioned it earlier. It depended on inserting a key into the lock, then moving it out one notch to make it work.
[/quote]

The technique used for CW's "Hemingway Lock" and some other models as well as "Keys of Judah."
Yes/but on the Mellon Version

It's two notches and House of Enchantment was making them in the early 60s The first (I believe) to do it that way.
Mellon put out the Keys of Judah in 1954.
Thanks Bill

Al I could find was a work order for the lock company, dated in the early 60s. That must have been a second run,
I cheated. I went to conjuring arts and did a search on it. I found the first ad for it.
Is anyone familiar with Mikame's Luc-Key?

How does it compare to the other mechanisms mentioned in this thread?

Here's a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHniAGAaDc
This works like Pent-a-Lock. Once you know that particular lock, you can spot it anywhere.

I think this also may be the method that Bob Torson's lock used. I saw Bob perform his version in 1960 at a convention in Houston. He could control who opened the lock and who didn't. It did not look contrived at all.

The first, though was definitely the Annemann version, which used an ungimmicked lock and ungimmicked keys.
[quote]
On 2010-05-18 05:47, Mandini wrote:
... Hemingway Lock and Repro 71's very clever Pentalock which overcame one limitation of Key-R-Rect: the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock.

I hope that will help clarify the situation and perhaps there may be other Forum members who may have further details to add or to correct me on.
[/quote]

There is (in addition) a Schlage Lock version where the one key left opens the lock AND due to lost ball construction keying, it negates the other 5 keys. The 5 choices can be made as usual but the remaining key opens (spectator can do it) and all is inspectable.

One key can be shown (by the magician)to operate before mixing the keys. The lock is then in a condition where any of the 6 keys work, triggering the construction device to make the lock operable only by that key. Mechanical. Resetting is a pain.

This is the same PRINCIPLE used by Schlage for the Home Secure Construction Keying whereby there is a construction master useable to lock the house while under construction and workmen of the construction trades can get in, but the first time the owner uses his key, the construction master is negated and cannot be made to work anymore.

The difference for the trick is that the keying (combinating) and the plug drilling is done in an way designed to enable the effect, otherwise the Schlage padlock around the cylinder is normal. These padlocks are rekeyable by loosening a screw in the shackle toe hole when the lock is open. This secret was only known by Palmer Tilden, myself, and a few Schlage employees.

I used for my IBM entry performance, a variation with 6 keys and 6 padlocks. Six spectators each choose a key from six in a glass. Then instead of choosing a key to fit a lock, they chose a lock that they thought might fit their key. (same thing) At my signal they all turned their keys with a resounding click and no other keys operated any lock than the chosen ones. Obviously the notches in the each key differs from all the other keys.
[quote]
There is (in addition) a Schlage Lock version where the one key left opens the lock AND due to lost ball construction keying, it negates the other 5 keys. The 5 choices can be made as usual but the remaining key opens (spectator can do it) and all is inspectable.
[/quote]

This sounds interesting. Do you recall what the effect is called and where it can be bought?
The Repro lock I was thinking of must not have been the Pen-Ta-Lock, because the Repro lock I have uses a system that will work both before and after the unlocking.

Tangential to the subject was a padlock that I think Schlage had, or perhaps it was Kwikset, which may be a subsidiary of Schlage, that you could key to match the locks on your house. I still have the lock, but it doesn't match my house locks any more. When the bump key videos started making their rounds, I replaced all my locks with Mul-T-Locks.
What about:http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/ShoppingCart/Key_Choice_purchase.html
I would have to see it in actual use or see a description of an actual performance.

BTW, what is a "real" mentalist? They use this term in their ad.
[quote]
On 2010-07-18 02:30, ealexm wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-05-18 05:47, Mandini wrote:
... Hemingway Lock and Repro 71's very clever Pentalock which overcame one limitation of Key-R-Rect: the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock.

[/quote]

One key can be shown (by the magician)to operate before mixing the keys. The lock is then in a condition where any of the 6 keys work, triggering the construction device to make the lock operable only by that key. Mechanical. Resetting is a pain.

[/quote]

While I cannot speak to the Schlage system referred to, I can attest that the "Key-R-Rect" set that I purchased in the early 1970s works as ealexm describes; i.e., only 1 key is shown to open the lock and doing so triggers it to be opened by any key then, after being re-set (which in the case of "Key-R-Rect" can be done quickly, easily and surreptitiously) only the "special" key will open it.

Accordingly, Mandini's assertion that with Key-R-Rect "the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock" is incorrect.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Toronto) (Feb 5, 2011 09:56PM)
Does anyone know of the version of Key r rect that has a plastic plexiglass folder holding a bank note where the lock is holding all, such that only the one key frees the money? I would like to do this effect so that the birthday child can win the $20 locked up. I saw a version of this trick in the 80's, so I know it existed, just can't find it now. Of course I could have the plexiglass part made up to go with a lock, but was hoping to buy it all ready done.
Thanks for any leads!
Hi Christopher..
If you have Stunners (Larry Becker) has a great method for Key Rect.
There is a new version Key- Rect on the market called (Correct Key).
Mikame also makes similer outfit.
Tricky Ricky
[quote]
On 2010-12-31 09:02, Dick Christian wrote:

While I cannot speak to the Schlage system referred to, I can attest that the "Key-R-Rect" set that I purchased in the early 1970s works as ealexm describes; i.e., only 1 key is shown to open the lock and doing so triggers it to be opened by any key then, after being re-set (which in the case of "Key-R-Rect" can be done quickly, easily and surreptitiously) only the "special" key will open it.

Accordingly, Mandini's assertion that with Key-R-Rect "the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock" is incorrect.
[/quote]
This is only true if the performer can reset the lock before anyone tries the other keys. That's one good reason to put your toys away after you get through with them!

[quote]
On 2011-02-05 22:56, Christopher Starr (Toronto) wrote:
Does anyone know of the version of Key r rect that has a plastic plexiglass folder holding a bank note where the lock is holding all, such that only the one key frees the money? I would like to do this effect so that the birthday child can win the $20 locked up. I saw a version of this trick in the 80's, so I know it existed, just can't find it now. Of course I could have the plexiglass part made up to go with a lock, but was hoping to buy it all ready done.
Thanks for any leads!
[/quote]
This wasn't a version of Key-R-Rect, if you want to be precise. It was a version of "Seven Keys to Baldpate," which was the original "one key opens the lock" trick. The one you refer to was put out by Repro 71 (Later called Repro Magic). Mike Danata acquired Repro Magic sometime around 2008, and now manufactures something similar called "Just Chance" that uses a locked wallet instead of a piece of plexiglass. His URL is http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk/ . Look under mentalism. Do NOT run the video of his magic studio. It locks up.
"Do NOT run the video of his magic studio. It locks up."

Ref the above comment, the video clip is coming from youtube, I've just run it & there appears to be no problems!

All good wishes

Mike Danata
I'm still having trouble with it. Maybe you need to check the compatibility with systems other than the one you use.
So it appears that Ed Mellon's idea with Jim Swoger's keying system were the first.... Is that correct, Bill?
Not really. Annemann's Seven Keys to Baldpate was the first. Mellon's was a way of doing this with a gimmicked lock.
Ahh

Gimmicked. Good.
http://www.nitelitemagic.com makes correct key (key-r-rect)
You need to spell check your entire web site.
I have both al Key-R-Rect with instructions (with as noted a copy of Carl Wolf's signature on the back) and a Collectors Workshop Geneva Prediction Watch for sale. But first a back story.

Our daughter Kendall turns seven tomorrow. Back on July 9th she suffered a catastrophic stroke and after being in a coma for five days the neurosurgery team at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital performed brain surgery to save her life. Now we are focused on her rehab and therapies, a lot of which are not covered by insurance. As a result I am selling most of my magic collection with 100% of the proceeds going to support Kendall's Occupational and Speech Therapy.

Here is a link to her story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7FLSIIVEp4

So please if you can help us by buying these items we would appreciate it. Remember it is for an amazing cause!

Key-R-Rect - by Carl Wolf Merriss Magic - $125.00

Geneva Prediction Watch - Collector's Workshop - $425.00

Actual shipping and insurance not included and will be agreed upon with buyer. Will ship domestic or international.

Please contact me at william3@thegillisgroup.com or call 561.531.2801 with inquiry.

Thank you for your support!

Bill Gillis
I have an original Penta Lock from Repro Magic of London, it works perfect, there are 12 keys, and a there is a brilliant handling, where the magi never touches the lock, yet it will open with any of the keys, or none of them, you are in complete control, this can be used at a kids birthday party, where the birth child wins or chooses the correct key or for adults with a ton of routines.
the Perspex/plastic holder is in good shape, the lock works very smooth and I want to sell it, and 100% of the money will go direct to Bill Gillis for Kendall, send $50.00 pay pal to Bill, and he will send me the mail info, I prefer to mail in the US only as it is pricey to send elsewhere, you may find an original for less, but remember the cause, we are helping a friend.
The correct web site addy http://nitelitemagic.com
Wow! I didn't know this had such a history.
I have a Hemmingway lock and seven keys that I use in my kids show and gospel show.
I see I'm going to have to take very good care of them as they may be troublesome to replace!
I was digging through a drawer of magic and came across Luc Key by Mikame. I've never even looked at it until today. Unfortunately the instructions are all in Japanese. Does anyone have the instructions or can you explain to me how the lock works in a PM or email. PLEASE?? This is such a great find as I've been looking to purchase a lock like this for the Jon Archer routine, only to find it in my own magic drawer. ANYONE?? ANYONE??
Hi all, I purchased Correct Key from Jim Grathoff of Nitelite magic and he even customised the unit for me for a particular routine. His equipment is excellent and I have been performing this for around 18 months (it will be most likely be featured in an upcoming book of mine). Check out https://www.nitelitemagic.com/correct-key-trick