(Close Window)
Topic: I just got Prism, and Peek Performances. What "Feats" do you reccomend?
I've scanned Peek Performances, and I read the Book Test and they didn't really appeal to me. There was a method for a coin bend or vanish that look okay. I saw the Watch Peek, but I just don't think it would be convincing. In Prism, I've found more stuff. That book I'm actually reading page by page. So far I've seen three effects that I like. I like the routine "Desire", "Window Shopper", and "Shuffled Impulse". Like I said, I'm still reading it. Anyone else have this book and have any particular routines you like? Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
Hi, for Peek performance I suggest you listen to what Richard Busch ask's you to do at the start, Not to skim. Other wise you miss a lot of important info, you really cant skim that book and in my honost opinion its one of the best books ive ever read, full of great ideas including the book test you talk about which I feel is the best impromtu books (join with the hoy) that you can do. As for prism if you like it keep rereading it, again full of lots of usefull ideas and effects:)

Darren
I’ll admit that I haven’t performed much from Prism yet. Still, there’s a bunch of stuff on my “to learn” list.

Desire is an excellent psychometry routine with a nice twist at the end. This effect has me constantly looking for different ways to mark a bunch of business cards. So far, the best way I’ve come across is in Larry Becker’s “Stunners”. The down side of that method is that you have to print a special set of cards. How do you mark your business cards?

I made a Mind’s Eye Deck at one point, but stopped using it after I learned a few nice full deck false shuffles. On a similar note, Vision Version is also pretty clever.

If you can do the billet switches (I’m still working on a good one), “Geometric Coin” and “Your Choice” look pretty good.

“Resolution” is very simple and I think it would play nicely under the right circumstances. On the down side it uses a method that people try to stay away from.

“Middle Telepathy” reads well, but I haven’t tried it.

Rainbow Matrix has potential if you can come up with a context or presentation for it. I haven’t given it the thought yet.

Also, there is a coin prediction in the beginning of Peek Performances that people seem to like (I don’t own the book yet). You may want to give that one a try.

Thanks,

Elliott
Reading
I haven't tried desire yet. To me the best way to mark cards (real cards for a one-way deck) is to use the razor method. I have like 6 words on my business cards I could use. I won't go further on that. The mind's eye deck is KILLER. I've wrote up a foolproof way of doing it. I use the method read cutting the cards, also you can just use a VERY CONVINCING Card Force. The cards are white they aren't marked. Anyway just check my posts you'll see I reviewed the Deck. Ed, (Eddini).

[quote]
On 2005-09-11 13:02, ElliottB wrote:
I’ll admit that I haven’t performed much from Prism yet. Still, there’s a bunch of stuff on my “to learn” list.

Desire is an excellent psychometry routine with a nice twist at the end. This effect has me constantly looking for different ways to mark a bunch of business cards. So far, the best way I’ve come across is in Larry Becker’s “Stunners”. The down side of that method is that you have to print a special set of cards. How do you mark your business cards?

I made a Mind’s Eye Deck at one point, but stopped using it after I learned a few nice full deck false shuffles. On a similar note, Vision Version is also pretty clever.

If you can do the billet switches (I’m still working on a good one), “Geometric Coin” and “Your Choice” look pretty good.

“Resolution” is very simple and I think it would play nicely under the right circumstances. On the down side it uses a method that people try to stay away from.

“Middle Telepathy” reads well, but I haven’t tried it.

Rainbow Matrix has potential if you can come up with a context or presentation for it. I haven’t given it the thought yet.

Also, there is a coin prediction in the beginning of Peek Performances that people seem to like (I don’t own the book yet). You may want to give that one a try.

Thanks,

Elliott

[/quote]
Desire rocks I have used it 3 times in a parlor setting for audiences ranging in size from 15 to 45. I used disposable color, when it hits their jaws drop, when it doesn't it appears to be an interesting way to select and audience member. Squarot is just great and Kirigami is wonderful. Learn Kirigami and all you will need is a pebt and one sheet of paper to take command of any size audience. Elemental is just other-worldly...

Keep in mind that I used all the above effects in three shows (yes paid performances)and they all hit.
I've used the Busch billet with great success, as well as the Zen fold.
"Coin in Mind" (Peek Performances) is a great "impromptu" piece. Very well thought out, and I've gotten great reactions from it. But you need to read the whole book, not skip around, to get the most from Busch's work.
Eddini,
You "scanned" Peek Performances.....?
There in lies the problem!
Ted (Leondo)
No, I didn't scan it. Scanning implies reading a paragragh here and there. I read WHOLE routines. I read the watch one. I read all three of the book test...ect. That's why I like videos better. With books as it's not a story it's hard to read. So with books, I've heard so you don't overwhelm yourself that read read the effects as you go along, and if you like the effect you read the method. With prism though I'm finding more stuff I find. I'm going through it (Effectwise) beginning to end and if I like the effect I'll read the method THOUGH I may read the method anyway. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).

[quote]
On 2005-09-11 23:28, leondo wrote:
Eddini,
You "scanned" Peek Performances.....?
There in lies the problem!
Ted (Leondo)
[/quote]
No eddini, Peek performance is set out in such away that you mus start reading from page one. Is very much tring to read a novel by reading chapters that appeal to you. You must start from the beginning and read through since the later chapters build upon the first ones.
Ed,
READ your books, digest the material, and draw your own conclusions. You have to put some work into it. Asking for the opinions of others is fine. I suggest you do so after reading the books your self. Video is great, as long as it goes hand in hand with the reading of books.
Asking others on the Internet to " read the book for you" is a great short cut, but you will never be able to develop and grow as the person and performer that you want to become.

I have read some of your previous posts. I admire your enthusiasm and eagerness to learn all you can.

Many years ago a young magician approached David Devant at the "Magic Circle", he said, "Mr. Davant, I am a magician, and I know a thousand tricks. How many do you know?" Davant replied, "I would say I know about ten".

I took the time to post only to offer help. Not to show you any disrespect, or tell you what to do. Please except it as such.

I will be presenting to a corporate group in Portsmouth in November. Let me know if you would like to get together for a coffee.

Regards,
Jon Stetson

PS. you did say you scanned the book. Listen to Ted Leon he is extremely knowledgeable and just about the nicest guy on the planet
The book test doesn't appeal to you??!

an impromptu easy to do word revelation isn't appealing?
my god
I don't like being "That off". To me a "Miss" is drawing two flowers instead of just one as your spectator did in a drawing duplication. To me that's a miss. I do get misses which is okay but ONLY because I REALLY missed, and not purposely, unless it's extremely little. Ed.

[quote]
On 2005-09-12 10:44, bumbacla wrote:

my god
[/quote]
Thanks Jon, I've heard of you. I go to Hank Lee's a lot. I wasn't trying to be lazy or ask people to read the book for me. I'm doing that now as far as Prism. I just asked what effects are people's favorites. I have more DVD'S. I learn better that way as stated. I have like 75 Videos/DVDS, while I have like 25-30 books for instance. I was curious as to which effects people like. I LOVE mentalism, and Card Magic the most. It's true though if you read effects/methods, right after one another you CAN'T learn much much less practice is what I was saying. I was saying someone here I forget who, and others say the best way to read a Magic Book, is to read the effects and LEARN the ones that appeal to you. In the Busch Book, I got it NOT ONLY for peeks, BUT for the book tests I've heard such great things about. That's WHY I went straight to them. I have trouble comprehending what I read at times. I learn better by SEEING it done. That's just how I learn. I AM going through the PRISM book from cover to cover. I'm sorry "Scan" is a poor choice of words in my top post here. Yes I'd like to meet you. PM me Jon with your email, or other info so we can meet for coffee. That sounds awesome. Thanks for your post Jon. You all are kind, Ed, (Eddini).

[quote]
On 2005-09-12 10:06, Jon Stetson wrote:
Ed,
READ your books, digest the material, and draw your own conclusions. You have to put some work into it. Asking for the opinions of others is fine. I suggest you do so after reading the books your self. Video is great, as long as it goes hand in hand with the reading of books.
Asking others on the Internet to " read the book for you" is a great short cut, but you will never be able to develop and grow as the person and performer that you want to become.

I have read some of your previous posts. I admire your enthusiasm and eagerness to learn all you can.

Many years ago a young magician approached David Devant at the "Magic Circle", he said, "Mr. Davant, I am a magician, and I know a thousand tricks. How many do you know?" Davant replied, "I would say I know about ten".

I took the time to post only to offer help. Not to show you any disrespect, or tell you what to do. Please except it as such.

I will be presenting to a corporate group in Portsmouth in November. Let me know if you would like to get together for a coffee.

Regards,
Jon Stetson

PS. you did say you scanned the book. Listen to Ted Leon he is extremely knowledgeable and just about the nicest guy on the planet

[/quote]
In Prism, Middle Telepathy Desire and Four Sided Triangle are surperb effects that play very well for me.

Iain.
Just for those RARE of you who don't think I like reading books or think I'm lazy and want people to read books for me, I'm writing this. You know that really hurt when allI asked was which effects out of these two books they like the most or do. THAT'S ALL I wanted to know and maybe reccomendations. Just so you know I just got done reading the Blue Book and am into a quarter of the Read Book, I'll list and rate without going into detail the "Feats" as I hate using the word "Tricks" with Mentalism of the Blue book. NO, this is not a review. I'll probably review it at a latter date. You HAVE to keep in mind I rate and judge these as far as my performing arena goes, CLOSE-UP "Street Work".

1.Desire, as I said I think it's a killer. I give it a (8).
2.Burnt Offerings asTis The Season To Be Lying****, ONLY if it is life and death like doing a underwater escape and you have a s******, OR if it is a normal assistant (if you use assitants) who do "The Help", but most s****** don't work that way, OR lastly if it's your husband (Or wife) in other words SOMEONE YOU TRUST who "Helps You". I'm VERY AGAINST disclosing (exposing) a secret to a laymen for you to fool lots of other people. I'm not into Pre-Show work either. There are exceptions. I like a Routine Osterlind does using it, BUT he has the person verify things. With that said this is okay as LONG as it's someone your trust and (or) spouse. (7)
3.Tis The Season To Be Lying, this is a nice one. It has a great theme. It's ingenious too. (7.5)
4.Pre-Duction. I didn't car for this for reasons stated above. (5).
5.Dangerous Game. I really liked this. It is a GREAT piece on Mentalism with GREAT THEATER. I rate this a (8.5)
6. The Tempermental Guest. This isn't for me. I rate it a (5).
7. I had trouble understanding this. That's why I'm more into DVD'S. I can't rate this then.
8. The Sprit is Willing. This is pretty good. It does take lots of work though. If;ve your into that, then it's a good (8).
9. Elemental. This is another one I had trouble "Following" so therefore I CAN'T rate it.
10. Double Under-Current. Not really for me. Too much work involved. (6).
11. Middle Telepathy. This is good, but again (For me too much work is involved). The Volume Three of Osterlind's ETMMM is just as good and easier and gets GREAT, GREAT, GREAT reactions. I like his psychological ploys though. I give this a (8) if you're willing to put the work into it.
12.Chaos. Not really my cup of tea. (5).

Again this is the last time I will post and "Rate like that", as this is NOT the place for reviews. I ONLY did that NOT to prove anything BUT to just show that I CAN and DO read books thoroughly, and I'm NOT lazy. I'm sorry if this comes off diffensive as I'm NOT trying to be. I WILL make notes in this thread as they come up that I PARTICULAR LIKE. Also please continue to tell me what favorites of yours that you like out of these two books. The Busch Book, will be the next I read from FRONT to BACK. Thanks, for your input, Ed, (Eddini).
I think 21st Century Imagery is a killer little routine from Peek performances
Eddini,
...go straight to the book test in Peek Peformances, the one that shows you how to use any paperback book, the one where you riffle the pages [while maintaining a finger break]. It's impromptu mentalism at its finest! Good luck!
fib
Busch is the most prolific and my personal favorite mentalism scholar of our time. His words are golden, pay attention to them all!
There is so much great stuff in there! the booktests alone are worth the prize! kiki
[quote]
On 2005-09-12 11:31, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I don't like being "That off". To me a "Miss" is drawing two flowers instead of just one as your spectator did in a drawing duplication. To me that's a miss. I do get misses which is okay but ONLY because I REALLY missed, and not purposely, unless it's extremely little. Ed.

[quote]

my god
[/quote]
[/quote]

what the hell are you talking about ???!!!

I'm talking about "paperback thought projection" what has a miss and drawing dupe got to do with this? nothing!!!!
Ed,
If you read only the effects out of books, you can miss a lot of good advice on performance. With mentalism, how well it's sold to the audience can be more important than the effect. I've seen some performers make a simple little 'trick' seem like a miracle.

By the way, I met Jon Stetson last year after one of his performances. He chatted with me and my wife for awhile. Sometimes when you talk to a performer after a show they still act like they're 'on'. You know what I mean, kind of a 'plastic' insincere tone to their voice. Jon, however, wasn't like that at all. It was just a friendly little conversation.

A side note to Jon: After voluntering at your show, my wife keeps noticing that she gets forks with bent tines at restaurants. I'll say,"that's odd, mines perfectly straight" whether it is or not. It's fun to feed her paranoia a little.
[quote]
On 2005-09-12 11:31, Eddini_81976 wrote:

[quote]

sometimes in mentalism you have to be a little `off`. it creates the `human touch`. if every drawing and word would be exactly like the spectators one, it will look too perfect and unbelievable. even a real `psych` couldn`t do that. kiki

my god
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thanks, I've gotten done reading Prism. It was "Okay", to me. I'm now reading Peek Performances, and from the beginning. I like his billet fold. Now I'm reading the other variations of the fold. Yes I saw the riffle test Fib, and it looks good. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
One of mentalisms "legends" publishes the majority of his thinking during the 70s and 80s and it gets labelled as "okay"

it was the foundations for todays performers, you have so much to thank maven for
Bumbacla,

I don't understand why you are criticizing Eddini for an honest opinion of "Prism."
If you think that "Prism" is more than "Okay" it might be more constructive to explain why you think it is so with example and explanation.

I happen to agree with Eddini that Prism is "ok" (or maybe slightly better than ok.) It is not a book per se, like "Peek Performances." Rather it is a collection of pamphletes. Some of the routines are fantastic in my opinion("Desire" "Four Sided Triangle"). Some didn't appeal to me because of they used things that I don't like. And there are great performance tips scattered throughout. "Prism" is a fascinating and important historical document but I wouldn't give it the highest marks as a stand alone mentalism book.

And I agree with you that we "have so much to thank Maven for."

Bennett
Brooklyn, NY
If anyone truly wishes to be astonished, they need merely to read what people write here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but their opinion is not necessarily based on complete information, or even nearly complete information. People get to form opinions based on anything they want, or even based on nothing.

If you bought a couple books and want to learn something from them, then I highly recommend reading those books and doing the work that entails finding out what works for you and what does not. Asking everybody else for their opinions is a distraction from the true work that can take you to your desired destination.

Here's a good example of what I would expect from someone who approaches fiction books (for example) in the same way that the originator of this thread has approached magic and mentalism.

"Hey, I just bought the complete works of Shakespeare. What is the best scene in the best play in this book? I don't have time to read it all, and I need to give a performance on Sunday. I already read part of 'Romeo & Juliet' and it doesn't seem very modern. The writting is all really old style and it's hard to figure out. I rate it a 4 out of 10 on my scale of value. I only gave it that high a mark, cause I've heard lots of good stuff about his work, and maybe there's a real good play in the book somewhere that I haven't read yet. Maybe there's one play that is worth the price of the whole book. Anyhow, there must be some really good writers out there....so can someone recommend something great. I just want the best, and I don't have time to mess around with some old stuff that is outdated and hard to read."

Please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, and take my thoughts to heart, as that is what this post is about. Let's all do some thinking and move magic and mentalism forward, not backwards.

Rocking on,
Jordan
Yes his stuff IS GOOD. I did RAVING reviews of his videos. I like the Red and Green books the best. Just some stuff used s*****s, and I'm not into that. I think HE is great. His DVD'S are awesome. It's just a Opinion, Ed, (Eddini).

P.S. You are right he is a LEGEND.

[quote]
On 2005-10-12 09:59, bumbacla wrote:
One of mentalisms "legends" publishes the majority of his thinking during the 70s and 80s and it gets labelled as "okay"

it was the foundations for todays performers, you have so much to thank maven for
[/quote]
Hey Ed,

From Prism, I like desire, 4-sided triangle, and (always wonder if I remember correctly), kirigami. On a related note, I try to read a book all the way through once, then again with a more critical eye, then again concentrating on what I like. But that is just how I do it, feel free to read your books however you want and however you learn best. People tend to think what works for them works for everybody else but that is like thinking the sun revolved around the earth.

I think the approaches used in Prism were of more use than some of the tricks, due to my performing style and routining requirements. Good luck and have fun.

-Carlos
I have the full set of the [b]original[/b] Color Series pamphlets - and while the man is obviously a genius, I think on the whole, the booklets were over-hyped. And, no, I didn't pay a ridiculously high price for them either.

[i]It's been so long since I read them, but [b]'Armchair Bowler'[/b] is good.[/i]

[b]Dr. Zordas[/b]
I bought them when they came out the first time.

I was a kid and thought I found treasure.

Not for the effects but the concepts.

Jack

H.O.A_X
Prism in my opinion is great, bloomin great.
Prism in my opinion is great, bloomin great.
Hi folks,

I would appreciate it if someone could p.m. me on this, because I will forget all the threads that I am visiting.

What is the full name of Bush and what is the book you recommend?
Same question for Maven.

Thank you! Mar
Eddini...
Trust me, man. I know how you feel. Sometimes it gets frustrating looking for really good stuff among the not-so-hot. But in Peek Performances, there is an impromptu book test with a paperback book that requires no marking, no playing cards, no numerical stuff, no muss, no fuss. Combined with a John Riggs p*****-w****** routine, which allows you to read a spectator's mind WITHOUT A BOOK -- and Banachek's "think of a letter," this is really good stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving, fib
Hi,

Don't give up on the ELEMENTAL trick in PRISM - I carried a prepared business card at all times and do it impromptu almost anywhere... it really can floor people if you got a good patter with it....

I almost all of Busch's work - so very cool - sticking with business cards again - See of White - how can you go wrong with that :)?

In any case - both books are worth their weight in gold for distilling the basic utility principles from them!
Dr Spektor is correct; Elemental, when properly performed, can really be a mind blower. Four sided triangle is good, too.
I found good stuff in Richard Busch's work and in Maven's.
I bought the color series when they first came out and have used ideas from the booklets for all these years.
Peace,
Parson
Message: Posted by: The Paranormalist (Nov 25, 2005 03:38PM)
I have the complete set of Max Maven's Color Series from when they originally came out plus Notions and many of his lecture notes all of them signed, each one is pure gold. Enough said!!!

Franklin