(Close Window)
Topic: Have you ever messed up your best trick?
I almost messed up a personal effect of mine but it ended up working out. I ended up using an improv fixit. Also, what happend?

P.S. I bet this even happens to the best of us.
I once screwed up "open travellers". Haven't performed it anymore because I realised I had to practise more to do justice to this effects. It has now been 6 months and still working on it. Getting there though :)
I have messed up (some slightly, some more) just about every single routine I've performed, funny enough...

Check out some of what Steven Youell has written (and others of course) on "being prepared" in every magic routine you do....

With enough preparation, any mistake you make should come easily because of planning and experience... You should have an "out" for anything, or at least be able to cover with something even more amazing should something seriously go wrong... in any case, don't fear it, because if you fear it you will shut down and can't react!
I have performed for years Dingle's twist, and never really had a problem with it until I was doing a shoot for TV...LOL I did mess up the sequence but it turned out o.k. as I did a quick fix. Kind of funny story not relating to cards, I use to do a dove act and one time I produced a dead bird (not the funny part). The bird had a stroke prior to the production(so the vet said) Anyway for a act like that preparation is the key, For 3 years I had a cover up for that if it were to ever happen. My cover up was to topit the sick bird, and steal a rubber bird under the silk....as I was doing the throwing motion. Well for a long time I never had to do it except that night. I am glad I was I prepared. So even if we don't mess up a lot you just never know it might be a week or like in my case 3 years...before you need that out.

tpdmagic
Steven Youell, being prepared?

A.
I will never forget the time I was floating a rose live on stage in front of 2000 people when "PING", the thread broke and the rose fell to the floor. I just turned and smiled with a small bow and the audience thought I meant to do it. I ALWAYS keep a deck of cards in my back pocket when I am doing anything to music. I fill the time left I did an impromptu card production routine. What was funny was that I still had a hoop around my neck that I had not used so I held it out, reached through it, and produced the final fan. A magician friend of mine was killing himself in the second row.

But man was I ever glad to have those cards...
I dropped a hand dye tube once. Looked up to ceiling and said, "What was that that fell?" Picked up the tube, pretended to put it into other hand, vanished it, then went right on with the color changing silk.

Another time finishing the guillotine we couldn't get it open. Had to lift it up and carry it -- with the spectator still in it -- offstage where the crew finally got him out.

It did get great laughs, tho... :kermit:
These are excellent stories! I'm hoping to hear more... Please, you experienced performers, keep sharing! (And thanks for sharing :) )
I did the invisible deck once and realized I pulled the cards out the wrong way. (I needed the even side but pulled out the odd side). I put the cards back in and told them I forgot to "shuffle the cards". I just shook them up and down while in the case. And when I pulled them back out, it is a different face card proving the cards are "mixed"; and the "shuffle" made their card turn over. It was a good save and the "shuffling" made it more amazing.

Miguel Rangel
Nerves, sweaty or dry hands and a failing memory has gotten the best of me more than once.
Lol never ever mess up a double lift because they will say for every following effect that you do.. "ah he had two card there" lol
I mess up my card tricks all the time!!! :)
That is not something to take pride in... It happens to me every once in a while and it hurts my feelings so bad I wont show that trick again for weeks...
I mess up a lot, probally a few times during every show; however 99% of the time the audience never knows.
It's all about taking a mistake and just running with it.

Here's a recent one - doing card on ceiling, tossed up the pack, "smack" it hit the ceiling, but the card didn't stick (hanging tiles), so I pick up the pack (good thing the elastic was still on tight) and asked the guy to concentrate on his card, I ended up just sticking it to my back and turning around to show the card "magically" there.
[quote]
On 2005-09-14 17:13, Tielie wrote:
That is not something to take pride in... It happens to me every once in a while and it hurts my feelings so bad I wont show that trick again for weeks...
[/quote]

Music to my ears.
I'm glad to hear you care Tielie.
Thanks for sharing!!!

Frank
Who hasn't? If not, they'd be lying. :rotf: :bluebikes:
<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
[quote]
On 2005-09-14 17:16, Lofty wrote:
I mess up a lot,probally a few times during every show, however 99% of the time the audience never knows.
It's all about taking A mistake and just running with it.
[/quote]

No offense, but if you're doing a show, you should mess up very rarely. I wouldn't think about doing a show until my material was 99% (100 is impossible).
I guess you're right.
That's why I never work with Tigers.

A.
[quote]
On 2005-09-14 18:59, AJOJRF wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-09-14 17:16, Lofty wrote:
I mess up ALOT,probally a few times during every show, however 99% of the time the audience never knows.
It's all about taking A mistake and just running with it.
[/quote]

No offense, but if you're doing a show, you should mess up very rarely. I wouldnt think about doing a show untill my material was 99% (100 is impossible)
[/quote]

I consider messing up , forgetting A phase, leaving out a joke , have someone do something unexpected(like shuffle the cards) you'd be lying to say you never mess up, it's all how you handle it. Oh ya - I make a living doing magic, last year I did over 350 shows. After 17 years I just know how to hide a slip up.
While doing a kid's birthday party at my rich Uncle's house, the following happened; performing an old trick called "In The News" (newspaper and water), I began to pour the water into the rolled up paper. My sister, who used to be my assistant for years, on this night was just a spectator. Anyway, as I began to pour the water, she jumped up and said, "Wait a minute!" To my surprise, she ran to the kitchen and came out with a large bowl, which she positioned directly under the paper. Holding the bowl, she looked at everyone and said, "I've seen my brother do this trick hundreds of times, and I don't want him to spill any water on Uncle Fred's expensive new Persian rug (she likes to show-off in front of family. They all laughed) So I continued to pour the water into the paper. Just before I unrolled the paper to show the water had vanished, she removed the bowl and stepped aside, again giving me the center of attention (...and knowing that this trick never fails.) After showing each of the 4 pages dry, I then folded the paper into quarters and began waiving the paper in the air, as I pattered, "... you see, the water has vanished from the paper but is actually hanging in the air in tiny molecules. If I waive this paper, I'll try to collect those molecules..." At this point (for the first time ever) a glob of water flew out the top corner of the paper and landed on the hardwood floor, just 6 inches from the Persian rug I was standing on. Everyone exploded into laughter as I stood there frozen... As my sister ran to get the paper towels, I picked up the glass and finished pouring the rest of the water into the glass (laughter continues) As I sat the glass on my side table, I looked down at my sister (profusely drying the water on the floor)... then looked up to the audience and calmly said, "I guess there was more water in the air than I thought!" (Laughter re-ignites... good time was had by all... at my expense.) Whew!!!

Dave
I've only messed up a few small things like a glide here, a dl there. But it's cool because since the spectator doesn't practice magic consistently they'll forget. But I know how it feels, if I mess something up it crushes my self-esteem and confidence leaving me with this empty feeling in my stomach. I feel as though I failed every magician in the world.
Lofty,

You are definitely right that I mess up. Please understand that in no way was I saying I don't mess up or hinting that I’m better in any way. I didn't mean that at all. I was just stating that messing up "A LOT" is not good. I wasn’t taking into account your standards for mistakes. (Messing up patter, etc.) I think it was the way you stated it that made it sound like every other move you did messed up. :) No offense was meant of course.

James
^^cool ,

On another point, for the newer magicians, your audience doesn't know what's going to happen next. So when something happens, instead of going "oops", work with it and improve a little. - BE PREPARED.
This is why my daily wallet is a card wallet.

One of my favorite tricks is the Martin Lewis paper tear (actually Trevor Lewis but it's in Martin's notes). You intentionally drop the extra, torn tissue during a torn and restored paper trick. The audience gets a nice laugh, then pick it up and open it and it is restored too.

Or check out insert by Harry Loryane - it's a pick a card trick but you find the wrong card. Give it to the spectator and tell them to insert it into the pack to find their card, upon several unsuccessful attempts, the chosen card is actually in the spectator’s hand.
Card on ceiling the elastic came lose cards went everywhere
I made the funniest mistake at a bar.

I was doing the card revelation trick called card under drink (J C Wagner), when I knocked the glass over. They didn't notice it at the beginning, but suddenly they realized the table being wet, and their card swimming in the lake of beer!

THAT was a nice card revelation ;)

By the way, the trick is brilliant, and can be found on the DVD or the book called COMMERCIAL MAGIC by JC Wagner which also is brilliant.

-Jacob
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Sep 15, 2005 01:57PM)
If I do rarely mess up, it is a careless mistake like a casual DL, or taking a treble, but I know enough to get myself out of trouble, so I will do a card change or go straight into a another trick and bring the old trick back into play. If you mess up, you shouldn’t even hesitate; make it look like it was meant to happen. If you mess up a lot, practice more. If you are a performing magician, you shouldn’t be going out to perform if you aren't refined and know exactly what you are doing at what precise moment. I know sometimes it can go wrong, I don't think 1 magician in the world has never messed up with something, but use what you can do. I can’t stand it when I'm in the magic shop and someone comes in and says 'What is a really good trick that gets great reactions, I've got a show tonight in front of 200 people'. And they just don't have time to practice and perfect it.
....funny thing about mistakes, no one really knows but you!
Many years ago when I was very young! I knocked Zombie ball onto floor

It split in 2 pieces & rolled majestically to a stop!

The audience was so quiet you could hear a pin drop!-For a few brief seconds We all were focused on the ball-It really was special!!!!!!!
Two days ago I've asked for a quarter and perform the Coin in the Bottle. After the effect I've returned the wrong coin... The guy was smartest than me, he claim: "Hey, gime me back my coin!", and we switch back the quarter again, and nobody understood what's happened.
Always! Why be any different with my best trick! :bg:

Many years ago whilst still at school I performed a big show for my class. The finale went decidedly pear shaped... I nodded to the teacher who quickly realised something was wrong... she started clapping, the class started clapping... and I got away with it! :)
Had a sword cabinet mess up on me once...

The routine was scripted so that I was sword fighting with the stagehands while the assistant hid in the cabinet. I lost, got skewered, and lay "dead" on the stage while the stage hands thrust the swords through the box... except... something jammed, and my poor stagehands were at a loss as to how to recover.
:swordbasket:

As the audience started whispering nervously, I got up, turned the box so the front door was facing the wings, and peered inside to determine the problem. Having spotted it, I turned to the audience, mugged an overt "eww, that looks bad," face (which immediately dispelled their fears of an impaled assistant), yanked the sword out, then fixed it. I helped the stagehands finish inserting the swords, walked back to my mark, and said, "Obviously, I'm not the only one dying here..." and keeled over, "dead" once again (to a roar of laughter from the audience), while the stage hands spun the cabinet around. They then flung the doors open, revealing just the swords, rather than a bleeding assistant (much to the relief of the audience).

No excuse, we'd needed more rehearsals. All in all, though, it went better than it could have gone- malfunctioning illusions can reveal secrets or, even worse, injure people. I'm just glad the two semesters worth of improv class I took in college finally paid off.
^ ouch!
If I ever on a double lift, take one card instead of two, I just say, Oops, I got two, and turn over a double. They don't think twice about it.
While doing a hand chopper routine I chose a very pretty black girl to be my assistant /victim. Then I remembered that the fake severed hand that I throw up into the air immediately after the blade drops matched in color with a caucasian and NOT a black girl. Of course I didn't throw it into the air and she never asked what the white hand in the bag was for - thank goodness.
Flashback Books.....They hate me
Ken De Courcy, erstwhile editor of the Supreme house magazine 'The Magigram' once issued a challenge (not original with him I seem to recall).
Magician take a walk through town; sees through a window of a hall another magician performing the vanishing birdcage. He can't hear what's going on, he can only see what's happening. Trick goes wrong and the birdcage is dangling from the performer's sleeve. Magician says something to the crowd and they all burst out in tremendous applause.
Challenge: What did the performer say to his audience?
Don't ask me, I don't know!

Ciao for now
Erik
I was in a magic competition once, doing my cards-and-doves act. This act was so tightly routined that one thing just flowed into the next, so there was no room for error. Suddenly, I notice that one of my birds, who was hanging in his bag in position for a production, fell on the floor.

Talk about re-scripting on the fly! And this was a silent act done to live music, so there was no place to say anything... I just had to re-work the routine and go on.

The dove turned out to be fine, but I think I lost a few pounds in a few seconds.

Oh, yeah, I won the competition.
I always get caught when stealing something, one time when I went under the silk to produce another colr silk the silk kinda floated out of my hand, I laughed, then vanished them both.
My assistant missed his cue during our Canvas Covered Box illusion. We were performing it as part of a variety show troupe contracted to perform at a juvenile detention camp, so I was even more anxious than I would otherwise have been.

I was never so relieved as when we finally made the switch and I was inside the box. The "kids" rushed the "stage" (the show took place in the camp gym) and proceeded to dismantle the box board-by-board.

Earlier in the same show I performed Gene Anderson's T&R Newspaper. During the flash restoration the "other" packet tore free from the newspaper and hit the stage.

It just wasn't my day...
I remember doing an ace assembly years ago to to about half a dozen people. To my shame I really had lost the last ace. With out skipping a beat though I asked one of the spectators to shuffle the cards and cut the cards anywhere she wanted. He friend then turned over the top card to reveal the last ace.
The hardest thing to do in a circimstance like that is to keep your cool and not look as spell bound as the other spectators.

Lord Anacho. Whenever I make an unrecoverable screw up I often say "Bad day at the office." Or something to that effect. It never fails to get a laugh as most people can suddenly empathise with your situation
I remember doing a Halloween show and in my opening I use vanishing & appearing candles. I had the vanishing candle opened a bit higher than I usually do. And I really thought I had a good grip on it.

Well it went down with a good spring.. Bounced off my pinky finger with a good enough spring to shoo tit up out of my hand a good 3-4 inches above it.. Tried to snag it out of the air.. but I missed and it ended up on the floor.

I really thought nothing of it.. as I was figured no one really knows of collapsible candles.. pretty much picked it up.. continued.. ended up topit-ing it.. when I was done as I usually did... Hands empty.. and I don't think anyone really knew what it was.
Believe it or not, my magic act got MUCH better once I realized that even the pros screw up every now and then. Odd thing to find consolation in, but it took a lot of pressure off.
I've since talked to dozens of professional magicians, and just about every one I've asked has had at least one horror story.
Very rarely do I make mistakes, but I just keep going when I do. Just keep showing more and more people and get more practice so that there'll be an even smaller chance of it happening again.
I was doing the Tabray Rope Routine and went blank about half way through the routine. I got lost. I stopped, apoligized, and went to another routine.

I felt like an idiot.
[quote]
On 2008-01-19 22:49, GWSchott wrote:
Believe it or not, my magic act got MUCH better once I realized that even the pros screw up every now and then. Odd thing to find consolation in, but it took a lot of pressure off.
I've since talked to dozens of professional magicians, and just about every one I've asked has had at least one horror story.
[/quote]

We all have horror stories & you learn more from your mistakes whether its your best trick or any effect in your routine

Over time you elimainate from your act all the effects that don't get good reactions & you perform these more & hopefully get better leaving you with a strong audience tried & tested act of your best material -hopefully eliminating mistakes by performing them more than the rest
I hate to admit it but once I was performing a close-up show at a private resident and began an effect that I had performed hundreds of times when all of the sudden I just drew a blank. For the life of my I didn’t know were to go next. So I covered that best I could by making a joke that got a good laugh from everyone and I move on.
Oh boy...this is a good subject. I do an Okito box routine with a story line with a few coin routines in the middle, one being hanging coins. In a restaurant one night I'm at the hanging coin part, which I've done a gozillion times, and right in the middle, just went blank. I repeated the same move over a few times adjusting the patter until the brain kicked in and then moved on. The key is to never let 'em see you sweat. Another time I was doing a bit that ends with a card to a flaming wallet. I wanted to really make an impression so under the table I over juiced the wallet which of coursed errupted into a huge ball of fire burning my fingers. Fortunately it was my closer so I was able to act natural long enough to make an exit to the mens rooms for some first aid. Was it worth the reacions???????? ......Oh Yea.................

To finish this I remember seeing Copperfield do an illusion on television that floored me. Later I saw him do the same at a live performance and one little slip revealed the secret to me. So I don't feel so bad about a slip up now and then.

thanks for reading, Glen
Yes, I sometimes mess up my best trick even I have done that quite a few years. It's important experience
[quote]
On 2008-01-19 22:49, GWSchott wrote:
Believe it or not, my magic act got MUCH better once I realized that even the pros screw up every now and then. [/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUoRGZowk

:)
I was once performing the Ninja Rings with some people at bad angles. At one point I apparently flashed the "key" to someone at my immediate right who them shouted out "He's got a hole in the ring!" Thinking quickly I used the old gag of putting your hand through the ring and say "Yeah right here in the middle." It got a great laugh and no one ever found out what he was actually talking about. Luckily the next part was the part where the spectator helps me link the rings. I let the heckler do it and I guess that made him think he was just seeing things.

That performance taught me that I should only do a performance with perfect angles every time.

Sam Weiss
Occasionally I had a problem with card on ceiling - the cards would all cut loose after the hit, and cascade to the floor.
Awkward - difficult to talk to a table while you're picking cards up.
It happened twice - in the one night.

I now use two bands - corner to corner, and width wise. Never had a problem since.
Sometimes it's good (in the long run) to make a mistake or two.

Complacency is my biggest enemy.

DCB
I once by mistake shuffled a stacked deck in performance ...whoops.
:yikes:
I think anybody performing magic has messed up a trick at one time or another. The worst I have ever screwed up a trick required me to do false shuffles and I realized at the end of the trick my shuffles were not as false as I had hoped.
Somtime my dacning cane line break in a show but when fly off stage I jjust wave goodbyb it work
Once I was doing the penetration where the dime goes through the rubber sheet, and the sheet actually tore around the dime, leaving a small round hole. Now I won’t use one of those sheets more than a couple times.

And once my Zombie ball came loose during a performance, landing on the floor with a resounding THUD! I didn’t know what to do next, so I picked it up, set everything back on the table and went to my next trick. Only afterwards did some people let me know that they were impressed that I could “float” something so “heavy” (sounding).

But my absolute favorite, because in my mind it shouted “I AM A MAGICIAN!”

I used to open with an Appearing Cane. Normally I’d release the catch with my thumb and give it a quick toss. Inertia would spring out the top and bottom equally, so when I grabbed it, it was always in the middle. I’d give it a couple of twirls before standing it behind my table.

One night it was in the wrong position when I released the catch, and the tip hit the heel of my hand, sending the cane shooting about halfway across the stage. To her credit (and amazing agility) my assistant snagged the cane as it flew past her. SHE did the twirl, and then handed it back to me. The audience loved it!
When a magician messes up, it is a great opportunity for bettering. I say this from personal experience. I have performed in areas that were very humid and the linking rings would stick to my fingers, I would perform in areas that the client would insist on that is a magicians nightmare; outside. The wind blows all the time a magician performs outside, it is a natural law like Neuton's discovery of gravity or Capernicus' discovery of the earth's relation to the sun, or Einstein's theory of relativity. Tables knock down, silks fly, and sponge balls? heh, heh, heh.
I have had dove pans fail, canes not colapse...enough, Umbrellas blow away because of a sudden storm that took place at a carnival gig.
The list goes on. The reality is that all performers have bad shows for one or multiple reasons. How it is handled may determine the salt of the performer. I heard that Channing Pollock missed as he did a dove to silk. The silk fell to the floor and Channing Pollock had to actually leave the stage to ditch the dove so that he can retrieve the silk. He used the mishap as an opportunity for a second round of applause. He re-entered the stage and picked up the silk that was on the floor and took a second bow. Nobody was the wiser.
If you have not messed up you are not performing. I have seen Burton, Copperfield, and numerous others make mistakes. It is how you handle the error that determines how good you really are.

Robert
Yup.

-Mary Mowder
I've had tricks fail a few times, though I almost always have an out. But when I first started performing live, I included Bullet Catch 22 as part of my set, which always got great reactions until the day it failed. It was pretty embarrassing and I had no out. After the show I tested everything thoroughly and it all seemed to be working fine. Next gig, FAIL!. I replaced all the parts but no matter what I did, it never again worked at a live show. All I could put it down to was a change in humidity. Regardless, if an effect isn't reliable it's gone and I haven't performed it since.
Yes, and I'm glad I did. That taught me something. And I'm not talking about unexpected or unforesseable things, reactions, or factors that sometimes mess up a performance (those you have to live with), just about *me* being the one and only cause for the mess.
Slush Powder doesn't work so well when you grab the cup emptied during previous performance instead of your reset cup!

-Pete
[quote]
On 2011-03-09 22:21, rbattle wrote:
If you have not messed up you are not performing. I have seen Burton, Copperfield, and numerous others make mistakes. It is how you handle the error that determines how good you really are.

Robert
[/quote]

Copperfield's greatest mess up was cutting the tip of his finger off. Blood and all.
I saw the Masked Magician mess up live on Italian t.v. He tried to get out of it by introducing another card trick, which he messed up as well. Because they didn't understand him, he got out of it. Funny stuff.
My equivocation failed and I had to hand-out the "wrong" lemon for Bill to Lemon. As the spectator cut open the lemon and found it "empty", I had NO idea what to do. Then It came to me. "Oh, I forgot to 'double tap' the lemon", which I then did with the remaining lemon w/ my wand. It fit with a previous ruse I was using with a Cup and Ball presentation, and may have "increased" the magic.
In my "panic", I really just hoped the bill would be in there, somehow. lol
There are some very funny stories here, sadly I never messed a trick in a way that is worth mentioning D: