(Close Window)
Topic: Terry Herberts New DVD
I will give a full review over the next couple of days.
Ive only watched the show part so far.
Terrys work with His puppet would be the best Ive seen,
well worth the dvd price alone.
Excellent news Wayne - I'm just waiting for mine to arrive!

Just a quick question - Does the puppet routine use ventriloquism or is the puppet silent?

Thanks

Cliff
I got it and it is great. Silly Billy is on there as well interviewing Terry about performing for children.

Great stuff.
Ken
Its a silent puppet routine.....funny funny stuff
Hope all is well with You Cliff.
best'
Wayne
For anyone wanting to purchase Terry Herberts new DVD its
available at Practical Magics website, http://www.practical-magic.com
Most google searches were directing me to reviews of a movie with
the same title.

Scott Proctor
How much is it shipped in US dollars?
Does anyone in the States sell this?
$50 US for a DVD? Glad I don't live in the UK!!!!!
If I worried about exchange rates Id never spend a cent.

Heres a full effect list of the new dvd.

Silly Counting
Silver Sceptre
Blooming Wand
Two little Dickie Birds
Tale of a Cat
New style Magic painting
Multiplying Banana's
Monkey Puppet Routine
Three Little Pigs
As good as his last dvd if not better great ideas
Excellent DVD.
So it has to be bought from the UK at this time?

Jim

(James, why don't you carry it in the states?)
It was filmed by the people at practical magic so as far as I'm aware only they sell it. there great to buy from though. you wont regret it
Thanks for the review and comments. I've been a fan of Terry's for quite some time. I will be purchasing a copy.
Something always puzzles me about Terry Herbert. I have no doubt his DVD is excellent, but I am interested that he is often quoted as being England's number one children's entertainer. I ran London's largest children's entertainment agency for 3 years in the late 1980's, and I never heard his name around at any birthday parties, and I never booked him. As he lived on the outskirts of London, this is very curious. As an adult entertainer with The Great Fiasco he was well known....especially at magic Conventions. Is it possibly he created his own myth and legend? Many magicians do. David Ginn for example..........
I must say the Childrens Magic the Herbert way was certainly different. I am looking forward to the review of his new DVD as I am interested to see if he has updated his performance style and patter in any way. To my mind the Childrens magic DVD seemed a little dated. The structure of the show and tricks were very good, however he seemed to talk down to the children. In South Africa that approach would get you eaten alive by the little ones.
I have both Terry's DVD's. In my opinion, he is a first class children's entertainer. But in saying that, I learnt very little from his DVD's.

His style is perfect, and suits him well, but that is an old mans style (I'm don't mean to be rude or insulting here) and wouldn't suit a younger magician.

And vice versa, although the way I perform is very successful, it wouldn't suit Terry Herbert because it's suited to me being a lot younger.

Billy
The real question here should be 'what can I learn fron this seasoned professional' - not 'is he really the best UK children's entertainer'. Many others profess to be this, anyway. What Terry has done is to work in front of a live audience, then go into explanations. Take what you can from it - he is giving a lifetimes experience.
Billy, did you get anything from the DVD's - and I don't mean a routine you could copy, because I know you are not that sort of performer?
Just to take you to task about the 'older magician and his presentation' - I am an one of those (older magicians), but my style is nothing like Terrys because I am not him.
I think that what you are pointing out is that every performer has his own style and it COULD be age reflected :))))
If you are going to Southport next week, I would love to buy you a coffee and chat about this. That is what this magic business is all about.

Best to all,

Dave.
Billy,
I wouldn't say Hebert's style is necessarily an "old man's" style. Or rather, you could label it that but that there might certainly be young men whose personality would suit that style. It's the person more than the age. I myself am going on 14...

Jim
[quote]
On 2005-09-19 18:17, Daveandrews wrote:Just to take you to task about the 'older magician and his presentation' - I am an one of those (older magicians), but my style is nothing like Terrys because I am not him.[/quote]

Hi Dave, My 'old mans' quote wasn't meant to be insulting. I realise there are many 'older' magicians about who have a younger style. But if a younger magician who was just starting out now tried to copy Terry Herbert, they wouldn't get very far, as it's not THEIR style. But unfortunatly, this is what happens, so many magicians try and copy the style and mannerism's of their idols instead of being themselfs.

If you look through old magic books, a lot of quotes and mannerisms are very very dated, but a lot of older magicians still use these styles today. It might suit them but it certainly wouldn't suit me.

As for the DVD, although I enjoyed watching it, there was nothing at all that I actually 'took' from it. If I was just starting out entertaining for children, I would have adapted his small puppet idea which I thought was very nice, but I already use Axtells Rodney Rabbit in my show which is hugely successful.

For a newcomer to magic, I think there is a lot to be learnt from Terry's DVD, and it would be worth buying, but I would suggest people just take an idea and try and adapt it to your own style and not that of Terry's.

Dave, I'm not going to Southport, but if I was, I would have really enjoyed meeting up for a chat. Some other time hopefully. :)
Billy - no offence was taken.
Will keep that coffee warm for another time.

Best of,

Dave
Hi Everyone
Please excuse my intrusion but I noticed that sometime ago there had been some postings regarding my new DVD, Magic for Under Fives that is being produced by Practical Magic in the U.K.
Some of you may like to know that there are some short excerpts being shown on http://www.magicweek.com and can be seen if you click on magic DVD's.
May I take the opportunity of saying how interesting I find many of the postings are and what a wonderful source of information can be found on this website
Regards to you all.
Terry Herbert
Hello Terry

Welcome to the Café

I have just bought your new dvd from Practical - Fantatsic

Having watched it I Immediatley bought Two Little Dickie Birds
What a beautiful routine.

I am also going to get Tale of A cat - I was never very struck on it until I saw your routine

And Monty The Monkey is Hilarious

I also bought your Original Video and am now perfoming your Flito Flower Routine
it goes like a bomb

Hope that you will share your wisdom with Café Members over the coming months and perhaps pop over to Magic Bunny Uk where you would also be most welcome

Wacky
This DVD is wonderful! The monkey routine is hilarious! The puppet Terry uses is great, Terry, are they available anywhere?
Message: Posted by: Jonty the Magician (Nov 14, 2005 01:43PM)
I bought Terry's DVD from Practical Magic's stall at Southport and also had the pleasure of meeting Terry there. Terry, I just have to say that I think both your DVD's are excellent, thankyou so much for sharing your experience with us. You've certainly been an inspiration for my show. I look forward to the next DVD coming out, soon I hope!! :)
Maybe some of you kids magicians out there with your different styles (old man and young man!) could put something of your own shows on DVD as well. There is so much experience out there, so many different approaches to kids magic, so much all you guys could share, I for one would love to see how others 'do it'. Go for it!!

Jon
L&L Publishers is selling his DVD.
Thanks for your notes guys. The monkey puppet I use Mike, is one I have had for sometime originally purchased from a puppet maker in the UK. However over the years I have used many puppets including monkeys, rabbits, pandas, usually obtained from toy shops, craft fairs & departmental stores. It is fun looking for the cutest puppet you can find that has some personality. Practical Magic I believe are in the process of having a monkey puppet especially made for the routine on the DVD.
Daniel, I think you will find that the DVD that L&L publishers are producing is the original one that I made for Supreme Magic nearly 14 years ago in video format and is still selling well.
Welcome Young Terry.
I am glad that Practical Magic put out this video.

Several years ago a gentleman had me make a flito flower prop for him. It was difficult to understand the whole routine and how things need to work. But we made it.

I actually had made up two. The second one was made up was sold at Kidabra this past year. I still make it up if someone wants one.

Richard
Hi Guys
You might like to know that at last the new DVD is now available in The States.
Tannens and Hocus Pocus have it and it is being distributed by Murphy's.
May I wish you all the Complimednts of the Season and a Very Happy New Year.
I would like to add my name to the list of places you can purchase Terry's new DVD. My web site: http://www.sillymagic.com is where you can get it. I will be selling it for $35. There may be some different prices being promoted. But from what I hear, I am offerring it at the lowest price.

Since we are based in New York, customers on the east coast will get their DVD faster than if they buy at Hocus Pokus.

Also, I would be terribly remiss if I didn't mention that I appear on the DVD interviewing Terry about many facets of performing magic for children. You will learn a lot from this segment. It is really something that sets this DVD apart from all the others.

David Kaye
David,

Is your web site down or under construction? The link posted mentions something about Apache software being installed:

"This page is here because the site administrator has changed the configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation, which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve configuration issues."

Just thought I'd pass on the problem getting to your site...

Ken
Hi Ken,

Davids site seems to be working now.

Bill
Thanks Bill.....
Terry's magicweek.com link to an excerpt of his show is no longer active. Here is the old link to it:

http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_dvds/features_magicdvds_006.htm

-Tod