(Close Window)
Topic: Do people appreciate free stuff?
Have any of you experienced that it seems like people don't appreciate free stuff? That they tend to think that it's not worth anything since it's free? And the opposite, if they pay for it, they think it's very good. If you have a personal little anecdote you can share I will be grateful.

Mikael
I used to sell knives & jewelry, I always tried to work it out so the customers would get something extra at no cost. Some people thought it was great & others wouldn't accept it because they didn't believe it.

I think that most people figure there is some kind of catch to anything free, so they are very suspicious of it.

I know I am :baby:

:bat:
"Free stuff" is one of my great selling points (if that's not an oxymoron!).
In my birthday shows, I point out to the birthday mother than I finish by giving the birthday child a magic gift, a magic birthday card, and a giant balloon sculpture.
That "free" stuff has been a solid closer for the deal countless times, giving me the edge over the competition.
And, when doing just balloons for a sponsored event, I point out that giving the children free balloons as they come in the door, makes the parents happy (everyone likes something for free and, if you get it right off the bat, you'll pay for just about anything after that).
That, too, is a great closer for the deal.
:bigdance:
Thank you for your replies. However, I did not mean if people get "something extra at no cost" or a gift when they have already been paying money, I meant TOTALLY free, like if you would do the entire show for free.

Mikael
Once again, people are suspicious of free stuff. Why would someone want to do something for free? I think since a lot people(excluding all the wonderful, kind hearted folks here of course) wouldn't do or give something for nothing, they don't understand why someone else would.

:bat:
That's probably the main reason I don't do free shows. Even if you have them "pay" in something other than currency, they appreciate the show more.

Mike