(Close Window)
Topic: Needle Through the Hand
Years ago there was an effect advertised (I think in Genii) of the above title. There was no gimmick to it. It was very real. Is there anyone who knows this effect?

David :devilish:
Hi I don't think you can do it for real they are 18 arteries in the dorsal surface of the hand and 14 arteries in the deep dorsal surface.
This used an acupuncture needle, and went through a very specific part of the hand. :devilish:
I learned a version using a spinal needle (they're the longest, and hence look more impressive) although they're rather expensive.
look at diagrams of the tendons in your hand, you'll see there's a void with nothing in it just below your middle two knuckles.
If you're doing this (don't) but if you are, start from the back of the hand, and poke through to the front. That way, you're less likely to hit stuff.
Be prepared for it to hurt.
I think David Blaine did this on a TV special here in the UK. Jonathan Ross show as far as I know.
If anyone does come across this I would love to see the information.

EDIT. I posted this at the same moment the above was posted. I would still appreciate any further info though! Thanks for that James.
I don't know if this will work directly, but see this picture...

http://www.bmezine.com/ritual/A40101/high/iam00004321.jpg

If it doesn't work, search images.google.com for "needle through hand" or "hand piercing"

Disclaimer: don't do this...

anyway,
That picture should show you where roughly the sweet spot is.

Go slow. as I said, from back to front.

As soon as you feel any extreme pain, pull out - chances are you've hit something you shouldn't have.

Did I tell you to go slow?

The sorest part should be when it pops through your palm.

Don't move your fingers or hand too much when the needle is fully through, that'd cause tendons & muscles inside your hand to move which might collide with the needle if it's not exactly in the right place.

If your right handed, puncture the left hand - and vice versa. If you do it wrong, your hand will be out of commission for a few days - best to injure the hand you don't use too often.

Another cool part of this is a tiny stigmata like bruise that stays for a few days on the palm of your hand.

Always use clean needles, the thinner the better.

I think I've told you as much as I know.

Ooh, don't use piercing needles - they are designed to remove a small circle of flesh. Instead use medical needles.

-James
Sorry yes you can do it with a acupuncture needle you can go through the middle of the hand.
Here's where you should start the insersion...

http://www.bmezine.com/ritual/A40101/high/iam00004324.jpg

and "aim" for the area you seen in the 1st picture.
Cool, I'll need to find the price of accupuncture needles.. I stopped doing this cos spinal needles were so ***ed expensive.
Thanks for the tip.
Where can you buy acupuncture needles? :devilish:
For acupuncture needles go to http://www.goacupuncture.com/ and this picture will help more http://photos.bravenet.com/184/361/083/8/8454977E1F.jpg
Just seen some acupuncture needles on ebay too, although I dunno if that's entirely safe.

Here's the place I bought my spinal needles before - as I said, quite expensive.

http://www.bmeshop.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=927
Why dpe666?? U wanna try it....??? Your turn now...and tell me the result.
Go buy th enedle first...and good luck from me :o)
Hi james do people freak out by this act?
I used to know a sideshow performer who pretty much paralysed his hand doing this act,he had a really cool pincushion routine which involved having the needles hooked up to a pump which sprayed fake blood at the crowd.So unless your very experienced in this area,don't do anything stupid.
Do people freak out?
Yes. Yes they do.

However, I don't recommend doing this - for the reasons Zane13 posted. I'd say the reaction is slightly better than a really good blockhead routine.
I recently discovered that there exists a "magic" way of doing this, that was on sale in the 70s. I'm going to look into it more, I'll keep you posted.
-James
James,

Thanks, please let us know if you find out a source less dangerous.

I do blockhead and pen through eye. This would be a nice finish:)

Candini
Yes, I attempted blockhead with a pen at school (wrong thing to do really) and I did manage to get it in quite a way, its kinda tickles/itches when its in but I love these sort of stunts

any can someone make a video of themselves doing this if they can I would really like to see this done
I'll put up an article and pictures this weekend on my website. I did the Human Pin Cushion for the first time this weekend. A buddy of mine is a piercer, so I used 3 of his needles.

-One through the chest
-One through the hand
-One through the forearm

After the pains gone, watch fr bleeding, but that'll only last for 2-3 seconds.

I even stapled a dollar to my stomach...

Like I said, It will be up by friday. I'm stuck out of town and waiting for new head gaskets to be put on the car!
I saw it on THEM special too.But instead using needles, he uses a screwdriver
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Sep 27, 2005 08:25AM)
Scott, you may want to hold off on using those needles. I myself am a body piercer, been at it since 1993. A piercing needle cuts its way through the flesh, actually carving its way as it moves through skin. That's why you notice a lot of blood. Plus the sharp cutting edge causes tissue trauma when removed, that's why you feel pain for a few days afterwards. I highly reccomend you find some antique hat pins. They are longer, thinner and will not do what a piercing needle does. Most piercing needles are only 2 or 3 inches long... not so impressive for the perspective of the "cheap seats" in the back. When you take a hat pin (about 4 to 5 inches in length) and push it through your skin, the effect is way better. In addition, the hat pin does NOT cut flesh. It works its way through the skin without cutting. Better for your body because A) Less trauma, B) Little or no blood, and C) No cut inury to heal from. Here's a tip from Red Stuart: "Use your saliva to clean and lubricate the pin AND the subsequent wound. Your saliva has enzymes in it that are good for you!" Use the same aftercare for the stapling. Enzymatic saliva heals the wounds with little or no scarring at the pin site.

Stay safe!

P.S. Swee, the screwdriver thru arm trick you saw on THEM is completely fake, as is most of the stuff you see on TV
I use hypodermic needles and BBQ skewers.
Dang! Have you seen Tim Cridland? That guy's nuckin futz.

http://www.mindandmatter.net/sys-tmpl/zamorapainnegationphotos/
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Sep 30, 2005 12:30PM)
Yeah, Tim studied the Sufi, which is one of many followings of such types of acts. Similar "pain" rituals can be found around the globe. It is real.
Does anyone have anymore info on this besides through & through?

Thanks,
Mike
Interesting looking back on this; seems folks weren't as concerned about the "no method" practice a few years ago.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 17, 2009 03:46PM)
My Method is "Abstinance" or "Just Say NO!"...The Only needle stunt I ever performed was "Needle Thru a Balloon"....I never wanted to walk around with permanent Needle Holes or marks or scars....A Kevin Gerrone "2-Headed Rattle-Snake" will gather a whole lot more $$$$ than permanent scar tissue...But if applause and attention is what one seeks...and IF some Producer is going to give you a Contract on par with a Major League Baseball Salary....then...quite frankly....All bets are Off.......and even "I" will perhaps be seeking advice on this subject....(How come you Guys don't take up Juggling?)....
Juggling makes me want to throw up.

It's just, when the things come down, you're supposed to catch them.
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jul 18, 2009 03:30AM)
Isn't this thread a bit too detailed for the board? DPE666, you're asking a lot of said detailed questions lately on this forum viewable by children...and a few morons.

I have already voiced my disgust at Dan Hauss's 'release' of this onto DVD, and it's been shared by other sideshow professionals here.

YOU DO NOT IMPALE ON A FREAKING WHIM! You BUILD up to it. How have you been building your pain tolerance? WHO have you PM'd? What is your MOTIVATION to do this for the public?

If you have questions this detailed, please...do your research as to who performs the feat PROFESSIONALLY (Tim, Andrew, Kelvikta, -Nipps?-BTW, you need a spanking... ;)...ahem...), and PM or E-mail THEM.

You're getting awefully lax here, and it's causing others to follow suit on the board.

This open forum ISN'T THE PLACE.
It frustrating the living end out of me.

BTW. Most of the above comment makers should see Swingshift perform in Freaks in Vegas, pure ART. . .and maybe after , chat with Andrew. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Let him tell you some horror stories (I just came back from O'Shea's, and he's got some dandys)..you need to know what can go WRONG, as well as how to execute the act.

Please now, can we go back to PM's....PLEASE?!?!?
I hate to be the only voice of reason here.
In case you hadn't noticed, this thread was started in September of 2005. I forgot I even started this one. The last time I posted on this thread (other than this post) was September 23, 2005. :devilish:
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jul 18, 2009 02:20PM)
Whoa, SO my bad.

doh.
[quote]
On 2009-07-18 15:20, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
Whoa, SO my bad.

doh.
[/quote]

I love you.
[quote]
On 2009-07-18 15:20, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
Whoa, SO my bad.

doh.
[/quote]

Its all good. :devilish:
Can I get some info on doing this the fake/safe way? I believe Brian Brushwood performs it but I only heard that second hand.

As always,
Dylan
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jul 19, 2009 02:39AM)
The only fake way is Harry Anderson's, or one of the other similar effects...Voodoo Needle Through Arm is available at most magic shops for about 30 bucks. It's a great little effect. Get's a nice reaction, and if you're not allergic to the components...it's a keeper. I met a guy in Vegas this past week who had testicles in his arm...well, it looked like testicles...dude had a weird reaction from performing that effect for years, like I had never seen. He had a great 'watch me move my testicles to my arm" trick as a result though...so, not all bad ;) He's a VERY rare case. Very weird, and very rare...lol. It threw me for a loop.

Brian's fake hand stab, which uses a knife in a comedic failed Russian Roulette (actually an old P & T routine-with a different premise) isn't on the market as far as I know.

You could perform a hand impale using a sleight...it just won't look very believable. The needle through arm does, at a pretty close distance.

Brett, you make me smile ;) My arse is doing fine btw... ;p
[quote]
On 2009-07-19 03:39, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
My arse is doing fine btw... ;p
[/quote]

Good to know, I was worried.
[quote]
On 2009-07-19 03:39, MagiciennesUnlimited wrote:
The only fake way is Harry Anderson's, or one of the other similar effects...Voodoo Needle Through Arm is available at most magic shops for about 30 bucks. It's a great little effect. Get's a nice reaction, and if you're not allergic to the components...it's a keeper. I met a guy in Vegas this past week who had testicles in his arm...well, it looked like testicles...dude had a weird reaction from performing that effect for years, like I had never seen. He had a great 'watch me move my testicles to my arm" trick as a result though...so, not all bad ;) He's a VERY rare case. Very weird, and very rare...lol. It threw me for a loop.

Brian's fake hand stab, which uses a knife in a comedic failed Russian Roulette (actually an old P & T routine-with a different premise) isn't on the market as far as I know.

You could perform a hand impale using a sleight...it just won't look very believable. The needle through arm does, at a pretty close distance.

[/quote]

I am very familiar with the Harry Anderson routine as I have been using it for a few years. I looked up a video of the Brian Brushwood routine and the needle through hand was used in his Mr. Happy pants routine. He performs the effect with the puppet on his hand and then passes the needle through the center.

Oh, and did the guy pass the needle through his arm or through the testicles?

As always,
Dylan
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Jul 19, 2009 05:42PM)
He had an allergic reaction from years of using the Harry Anderson method. As I said, a VERY unusual case. No ACTUAL passing of the needle was ever executed on the testicles or arm.

You can see his arm here: http://www.livestream.com/streetofcards/ondemand/pla_7873899630964380?initthumburl=http://mogulus-user-files.s3.amazonaws.com/chstreetofcards/2009/07/15/4661b222-e982-438f-81b1-b7d3f97348d5_1450.jpg&playeraspectwidth=4&playeraspectheight=3 His name's Aaron Olsen, BTW. Nice dude. Runs Street of Cards at the Magic Club in Vegas.

I think it will be around the 32 minute mark (not sure)It's near the end of the 'interview' I did there.

He threw me for a loop, I hadn't noticed the lumps till he 'produced' them. It really grossed me out...lol, they were all bouncy bouncy...shudder...

I was at Kenner's party last week and Brian was there. He's a nice guy. We don't agree on everything (he gives away a lot of secrets :s), but he's cool, we talked children-we both gots 'em. I had not seen the Mr Happy Pants, but THAT method of wearing a cover to pass the needle is as old as old gets, and I have never thought it looked believable. I'll check out the utube of it if my laptop stops freezing (OUT THE WINDOW WITH YE!)

There's no logical (well, believable) reason to cover your hand or other body part to impale it...it reeks of 'fake'. Don't cha think?

My daughter (she's 9, and MAN I MISS HER!!!-I go home tomorrow) impales her thumb with a hanky and a carrot, and learned it from a kids magic book.

Peace
A
"There's no logical (well, believable) reason to cover your hand or other body part to impale it...it reeks of 'fake'. Don't cha think?"

Couldn't agree more! If you can't do the magic out in the open, then clearly, you can't do the magic.

That being said, Mr. Happy Pants, as a seperate character in Brian's show, nicely draws attention away from the fact that he is covering for the trick.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 20, 2009 04:18PM)
My scrotum is pierced 5 times, all happily full of median sized body jewelr (10 to 8 gauge). I could easily pass a "needle" through the skin, but that's faking it.

"Mr. Happy Pants".... my willy's lawyer will be contacting you.
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 17:18, thegreatnippulini wrote:
My scrotum is pierced 5 times
[/quote]

Now that I am done throwing up from the image, I have to ask, why on God's green earth would you do that?! I am not asking that as a retorhical question. I really want to know why someone would do that other than "to be different". :devilish:
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 20, 2009 04:38PM)
DPE, you should know that I have been a professional body piercer since 1993. Also, you're asking a man who put himself in the Guinness World Record by lifting heavy stuff with his nipples if he did something just "to be different". Think about it.

TGN
One might also ask, "Why would anyone want to be a magician?", or a lawyer, or a teacher, or a garbage man, or a philanthropist.

Philanthropist is easy. It has enough syllables to be impressive.
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 17:38, thegreatnippulini wrote:
DPE, you should know that I have been a professional body piercer since 1993. Also, you're asking a man who put himself in the Guinness World Record by lifting heavy stuff with his nipples if he did something just "to be different". Think about it.

TGN
[/quote]

Point taken. :devilish:
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 20, 2009 11:36PM)
[quote]
On 2009-07-20 17:44, Harley Newman wrote:
One might also ask, "Why would anyone want to be a magician?", or a lawyer, or a teacher, or a garbage man, or a philanthropist.

Philanthropist is easy. It has enough syllables to be impressive.
[/quote]

Philosopher...Can't get a Job...But knows why he can't get a Job...
Well, TGN, I have been selling body jewelry since around '93...when the fanciest thing to get was a CBR... Since that time, folks have stopped gauging their tongue to a 00 and have sanely returned to that 14g.

So many kids these days fill their faces with steel--its a hoot. I think one gal last week finally managed to pierce her mouth shut.

I 'member selling what I called the "Idiot bar" Some rockem' sockem; wanted a barbell with a spike for his tongue. At first I said no---it would be just silly, But greed took over, so I made him one. with the other spike I made another. A few days later the dude came by to say that the spike hurt the roof of his mouth. "Oh well", I replied.

I ended up selling that second "Idiot Bar to another that wanted a "spike" in their mouth...

Me..I am not pierced, but have sold enough metal to folks to build a fleet of Chryslers... Still going strong...
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 21, 2009 09:03AM)
You actually SOLD something to someone knowing the outcome will be bad? I pride myself in my work and would NEVER put anything in someones body that will have a negative outcome. In my career I have performed over 16,000 body piercings, my main concern is my clients' safety and health. You should switch to selling cigarettes... it makes sense, most tobacco execs never smoke, you're not pierced. Ever heard the phrase "never trust a skinny chef"?
I tried talking him out of it...but, well, you know... That was back some dozen or more years ago at the Oregon State Fair...

These days, you really need to see the kids with labrets sticking out of their cheeks, multiple rings hanging off their lip, etc... I have never sold piercing needles, cause I didn't want the toddlers to come home with stuff dangling from their parts... So they all pierce themselves with sewing needles.. I always recommend that someone go to a professional piercer -, otherwise they run the risk of septicaemia, or shock or worse.

But I have seen stuff like piercers putting 10 gauge rings in 12 year old girl's bellies--cause they didn't want to order any 14g stuff... I have seen mutilations done by "professional piercers" I have had folks come by and tell me things that the piecer has told them that makes absolutely no sense, medical or otherwise.

And while we can't autoclave every piece we sell, (and neither does any retail establishment), we do provide alcohol wipes. Though our customers rarely use them, not knowing what they are for...

But you and I probably deal with a different clientele. Perhaps your customers have been looking at piercing from a different "purist" perspective than my "Hot Topix and Spencers" crowd. You have had 16K piercing customers in the past years, and I can see that many in one week needing something for one hole or another.

And No, I do not need any holes in my body--If I was 30 years younger, perhaps I would have, but I have no holes, or tattoos and plan to finish out the term that way. A surgeon doesn't need to have multiple brain operations and organ transplants to be a good surgeon.

I was a soldier many years ago, but never had to fire my weapon in anger, does that mean I never served my country as a soldier?

But I will admit, to hang things off ones nipples, it might help to have a couple of bars, as the alligator clips tend to slide off...

And these days I am fat and happy AND a Chef!

Cheers
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 21, 2009 04:06PM)
No prob, I wasn't flaming ya, just had to put it out there that it's a bad call. Our companies motto isn not "customer is always right". I have personally shut down Korean kiosk vendors at local malls because they were selling piercing needles. I bought one ($5.00), got the receipt, went straight to the head mall manager's office and explained to him the legal ramifications of selling medical devices out of his mall.

Seeing as how you ARE uninitiated in the lines of body modification, (please do not take offense to this), you really have no business telling anyone what the best thing for their piercing is. Being a soldier who never fired his weapon in the line of duty simply makes you an unexperienced vet. About 12 years ago I had apprenticed a piercer who had no piercings or tattoos. I had to stop him one day from explaining the difference of sensation felt like between the two. There are more folks in the body jewelry business than I'd like to admit that have no idea what they are doing... they are there simply to profit from a trend.

Kahuna, I piecre for a LIVING, if I did not get paid to pierce I wouldn't do it. We have 4 shops, 6 piercers on staff, we do about 300 pierces per week. We helped institute Phila. body piercing regulations in 2002. Our company is the ONLY bod mod place in the WORLD that offers full benefit packages to its' employees. Full medical, dental, paid vacations, holidays and sick days. We are THE most legitimate body piercing business I know of. Tattoo shops split the money with the artist and they get paid cash for the day. That's it.

So when I say things about being a professional piercer, please don't lump me into a group of amateurs.
I won't lump you in with the fools... I am a retailer and when folks ask a certain question that I can not or will not answer, I refer them to their professional piercer...

We are not just a table top set up, in that we don't just have the spinner rack of Belly Bananas. We carry full line of stuff up to two inch for the ear.

For those that pierce for a living and have been doing it since before '98--good, you know what you are doing.. But there are hundreds if not thousands of folks wiping the chicken leg off their fingers and saying "Sure I'll pierce you tongue".

If folks want to get pierced, fine--they should pay what its costs to do it PROFESSIONALLY, preferably by someone that has been TRAINED. If you would see what I see on a daily basis, you would shudder...

We had some gal come by last week with severe pitting in her tongue. She said, I got pierced Sunday and the Piercer said I could change it out after three days... My wifey gasped, "Yeah, if the swelling is GONE..."
I recommended immediate removal... Jeez some of these kids are going to kill themselves..

I am a retailer, pure and simply. But I know more about the jewelry then just about any other retailer. You don't have to fire off a nuke to be a nuke systems dude...

But I will offer the vest advice I can to folks that will never go to a piercer, cause they don't do that these days... They do it in their bedroom with mom's sewing kit... Simple advice like: You don't want a 12g labret little girl, you want a 16g--- You know, highly technical things like that.

As for my "Idiot Bar" that I wrote about above... The guy was adamant--and there is no convincing some folks. If he didn't get if from me, he was going to get it from the piercing/tattoo booth next door. In fact they were buying things from us, because they had no stock... This from a supposedly big operation in Salem, Oregon.

I am glad you are trained in the anatomical/physiological aspects of where it is safe to pierce. More piercers should have that knowledge, just as retailers should know what goes where and what does what. As for us, we work with just a couple of manufacturers--One you should recognize immediately. They used to make their own in San Diego before moving headquarters to Reno...

And no, I don't feel flamed. Although I would say that never having to fire a weapon in anger during the army does not make me unexperienced--just lucky.

ciao

abigkahuna
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jul 21, 2009 08:18PM)
Hey Nipps, when are you going to start making screw in pieces for microdermal implants?

I kind of need a few.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jul 22, 2009 09:04AM)
That stuff is too small and precise for my tooling, but I could forge a pre-existing anchor top into whatever you need. I assume internal threading on your microdermals? Or do you need the whole she-bang?
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jul 22, 2009 10:06PM)
Well I have yet to unscrew the tops off yet. I just got them done a few weeks ago by another sideshow performer who is also a professional piercer as well. (And featured in Savage a few times too.)

I still think that I need to get down your way to have you put some steel in me as well.