(Close Window)
Topic: Snow Routines
Has anyone seen any good routines for the snowstorm illusion that have not involved the sappy story of seeing snow.... I am just curious who has put a new spin on creating snow. An idea I had was to have a labratory setting and try to create snow using just water and wind and the heat fromt he hands..... or somethingt o that degree.... Any other routines?
With that routine, you could somehow use the Insta-Snow powder. The snowstorm packets don't have to be used like it is snow. I saw a routine from a while back where the magician breaks up CDs and turns them into the Snowstorm effect.
-Tyler
Here's a thought: For a comedy magician, snow could easily become dandruff.

Nick Fox
Funny N Fox

Tyler That was Murray and his CD ACT. That was a great version of the snow storm. I am thinking of buying but I really want to avoid the sappy story as it seems everyone who performs snow does the same. any other different routines out there.............
Why not create your own routine? The reason a lot of people use the sappy snow story is because it works, kinda like sub trunk a lot of acts close with it because it works. The audience loves the story of snow as people can relate to being a child and remembering the first time they saw something magical.
Brandonford 1982,

the cd snowstorm is in the act of Danny Cole and not in Murray's act...
I have seen several well known magicians perform the snowstorm and they have all been depressingly similar.

1. Talk about your days as a child wishing for snow.
2. Cue the emotion-filled music.
3. Crank out copious amounts of snow.
4. Receive standing ovation.

Kevin James has the best rendition, in my opinion. I wish some of the other guys would work on coming up with a unique presentation. I live in Vermont, so wishing for snowstorms is kind of ridiculous and might get the audience to turn on me. Hey, maybe an idea for a less sentimental presentation...
I have thought about this for some time now and agree, it's always the same thing.

I have been playing around with ideas of "love" returning with winter, rather than the childhood snow thing. You know, I met a girl on the first day of snow....blah blah blah...she died/left/turned lesbian (whatever you want, she's gone) and I never thought I would find love again.

Later, when all was lost, I notice it starts to snow and (cue new girl walking in) I found another girl...(cue sappy music). Take standing ovation.

Yes, it's sappy, but it's not the same thing everyone else is doing. I think sappy is okay, just want to do something different with this effect. Any thoughts?

Keith
El rafael Thanks for clearing that up. Murray does a cd act though right?

tpdmagic That is my idea is to come up with some different ideas to do the snaow animator. I want to create a unique routine but I figured I would start here and get some good ideas.......

paraguppie
I like your idea. I was thiking of doing a comedy act or a mabey not even use snow. What else is blown into the air but mabey different color? Blood, Sand, oooh what about doing a name a color snow storm effect. Mabey mix snow storm with the sands of the desert trick. Mix the different colored petals together, have someone name a color reach in, grab a packet of that color and do the trick......... ANy thoughts?
If you use Red snowstorm loads, and have attractive female assitants release them at about their own chest height using an arm-mounted source of air, you could have an "American Beauty" themed presentation. Just a thought.

Nick Fox
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Sep 28, 2005 03:30PM)
Both Danny Cole and Murray use the CD snowstorm ending.
I Though So........
What I would love to see is the snow change color once in a while.

"I fell down the mountain and the snow flew all over"

(Snow comes white)

"I ended it nailing my head on a large piece of ice. I could have sworn I was seeing red"

(snow comes red)

"Then I realized it was due to the knock on the noggin. I turned over only to be blinded by the sun!"

(snow comes yellow)

The above is obviously a pointless (and kind dumb LOL!), non magical story but I'm sure you get the idea.

This could easy be accomplished with some very good lighting work.
How about peeing in the snow...then yellow snow...LOL
Just a quick question - are you doing the trick/routine for your audience or for yourself? Sorry bro audiences really like sappy. If for yourself, then I agree they are all pretty much the same. I have KJ's routine but I like the standard fan routine too. Personal note here - I thank Pete Samualson (spelling ?) has a very pretty (SAPPY) routine. Anyway that's my thought. Good luck.

Robert Jones
I am not currently doing the illusion. I want to put into my act but I want to do it different than anone has. Sappy is not bad, But the I was a kid and saw snow bit is very overused. I just want a new fresh routine that can put a new spin on the snow animator. Oh and I want to use the barstool method. Not with the oriental fan. I had a thought of mabey talking about a painter and how he passed on but his spirit still lived through his art. HAve a blank canvas. Do the snow but di it side ways where the snow blows onto stage and is aimed at the blank canvas.(colored paper pieces by the way) and the pieces would stick to the canvas painting a picture. Or you could do predictions, revelations, etc. Basically use Ruber Cement and paint on the board in the design you want. when the paper blows it would stick to canvas. Thoughts?
Brandon that's a great idea! Go for it man!
Thanks Chris. I like the idea, and I may think harder on it.......
I agree, that's a great idea - go for it. Let me know how it goes.

Robert Jones
That is a really great idea, Brandon. Let us know how it works out!
Lots of little comedy bits to go with this...... Um the painter was painting a snow storm, (show the canvas blank), Mabey the paper could be the actual painter. he was born from dust, became man, died, became dust again, and the dust (paper actually) becomes the new painting and it is blown into the air towards the canvas.................... This is coming together nice........
I've not performed, this stunt yet, but plan to in my next major appearance.
I'm split between two different ways to perform this stunt. As I live & perform in Minnesota a sob story about never having seen snow won't work so I'm going the other way and telling of the Blizzard of 86. There is a popular childrens camp song sung to the tune of MacNamara's Band I plan to sing as I perform. I like to sing as I perform some of my tricks, kinda' like Shari Lewis but with more of a baratone. My other Idea is to ask how many in the audience have see "The Karate Kid" and I talk about the scene wher Mr. Miagi slaps his hands together to make his Chi hot and then fixes the kids broken leg. I then tell the audience that I thought that it was a bunch of movie malarky. But since then I've been taking some kung fu lessons and I need to show you something that is so cool. I
plan to use a DeLite to make my hand glow hot drying the tissue paper and blow
it around with a card fan.
Brandon-
I really like your idea of using the snowstorm with the canvas idea! Very original and very creative! Good Luck!
-Michael
Isn't this section for reviewing large stage illusions???

Perhaps one could present the snow storm as a snow cone machine that gets out of control...?
I do a butterfly storm from a Kabuki butterfly routine.
Who do you all think has the best hand held version of the sonw storm?
The best rendition I've ever seen of this effect was done by David Copperfield (complete with Sappy script (whatever Sappy means!))

It was in London a few years ago, when he was doing his "Flying" routine - surprisingly, "Snow" was his finale piece!
That was an awesome show of Copperfield's. I think his best.
Hey Daniel, I think Snow is a Grand Illusion....... don't you? It cannot be done in a livingroom, and it fills the whole stage....... Just my opinion though...
I have performed my "Dandruff Storm" routine for Gary Darwin and friends at the Denny and Lee Tuesday night show on several occasions. Yes... it got huge laughs. Tried it for laymen just to see if it had the same impact and yes it got great laughs. Could it be that the sappy story is becoming...well...sappy?
I have also been thinking about alternative presentations as I'm hoping to buy an animator soon.

Here are a few ideas that I've had to get you thinking......

Think rose petals......

Think butterflies......

Think golden leaves that you used to like walking through, but now all the leaves have gone.....

Think MONEY, ripping up a lottery ticket to create lots and lots of money

Think DLITE, ending your routine with reflective snowstorm material and a purposely positionned uplighter, giving the impression of millions of fireflies leaving your hands.

I'll keep thinking of some more, I stilllove the original dreaming of snow performance, but its still good fun thinking outside the box!

Gary
Beware of the Flying Albino Brain Mites... just an idea.
Great one brian
Does anyone have any recommendations for Snowstorm illusions? I'm thinking of the traditional fan version.
I should clarify - I mean recommendations for actual products/vendors.

Thanks
The ones I picked up were from mondo magic..havent' had any problems with them...
For snowstorm the best out there is still Seo Magic in Japan. They make the finest snow storm and throw streamers in the world. http://www.seomagic.com

Jeremy
"When I was a child, I never saw a forest fire......"
Tim, for some reason I got to thinking of the forest fire setting and that led me to think of falling ashes... Falling ashes reminds me of Schindler's List. On a more serious note, what if you paid tribute to the millions that died in the concentration camps during the Halaucost (sp?) or would this be too morbid? Maybe you could even tie in the "sappy story" with it somehow and the "ash" is actually "snow"... Like have the story of an old man (possibly a great-grandfather) and his survival during that horrible time and the only thing that gave him hope was the snow... Each snow-flake had so much freedom as it fluttered about... Or in the horrific times of trial... as ash filled the air, grandpa would imagine it was snow... until one day the dark and gray sky turned to a deep blue with millions of white flakes (signifying the end of that tragedy...).

I'm sure it would already tug on some "emotional-strings" and with the right story under proper circumstances would really be an incredible piece if written in a respectable context.

Just an idea!
Bryan Gilles
Dang - I thought I was the only one who thought of the dandruff idea. haha. anyway - I tried it in a few shows and it didn't work for me the way I wanted it to, so I went back to my normal routine.
Does anyone know of a you tube video of the dandruff routine?
Make your own. If you have a KJ version it's on the video. The snow loads dwarf the packets in my opinion.
Half-baked idea... I don't do snow, but it sounds like quite a few of you do... The basic premise is the opposite of the standard presentation: Not "snow is so amazing and magical and I like it" but instead "Snow is really a pain in the *** because it messes up traffic and I gotta get to work on time and sidewalks need shoveling and the snowplow blocks my car in" and on and on.

I don't know how you'd lead up to it, but then when the "snowstorm" happens, you could be really, REALLY disgruntled and frustrated.
[quote]
On 2006-04-10 07:33, Bryan Gilles wrote:
Falling ashes reminds me of Schindler's List. On a more serious note...
[/quote]

>...implying the Schindler's List reference was on a *comical* note?! LOLOLOLOL
[quote]On Sep 24, 2005, brandonford1982 wrote:
Has anyone seen any good routines for the snowstorm illusion that have not involved the sappy story of seeing snow.... I am just curious who has put a new spin on creating snow. An idea I had was to have a labratory setting and try to create snow using just water and wind and the heat fromt he hands..... or somethingt o that degree.... Any other routines? [/quote]

I agree a different approach can be nice. I use my niece as a reference. "she was obsessed with the movie FROZEN and wanted to make snow like Elsa at her finger tips. So I created this for her"
can also be X-Men and you say you were intrigued by the the guy making ice at his hands.
like that you still produce snow but in a less childhood memory dream way

cheers
I actually prefer David Copperfield's rendition of this. For a long time, I was using (with permission) Kiki Tay's version. It was emotional for the audience, and worked for me. I no longer do a ton of stage shows, though, so it has been a very long time since I have even done this effect. If I ever go back to stage work, I intend to write my own.

[quote]On Sep 27, 2005, Bill Scarlett wrote:
I have seen several well known magicians perform the snowstorm and they have all been depressingly similar.

1. Talk about your days as a child wishing for snow.
2. Cue the emotion-filled music.
3. Crank out copious amounts of snow.
4. Receive standing ovation.

Kevin James has the best rendition, in my opinion. I wish some of the other guys would work on coming up with a unique presentation. I live in Vermont, so wishing for snowstorms is kind of ridiculous and might get the audience to turn on me. Hey, maybe an idea for a less sentimental presentation... [/quote]