(Close Window)
Topic: What is the shiniest coin you have seen?
Hi
I have read some posts on polishing coins, but are there certain coins that are potentially shinier after polishing? I am looking for the shiniest coin I can find for a misers dream.

Thanks.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 28, 2005 12:25AM)
Silver, polished smooth, then wiped free of oils is just like a mirror. When wiped with lab grade alcohol, the metal surface is about as reflective as possible. It gets the oils and dirt off so the light bounces off the metal surface. :)

so there you have it, much easier than fussing with coin polish.
Thanks.
I even thought of making special coins that has a convex surface so that it can reflect light to a large group of audience.

What do you guys think about this?

Please comment.

Thanks.
I have a Peace silver dollar. I started with TarnX to get the tarnish off. Then Wright's Silver Cream. Then I used a dremel tool with a buffing wheel to get buff it to an amazing shine. Then Windex for any oils. By this time I was wearing latex gloves.

Here's the kicker. I bought a brick of solid, pure Brazilian Carnuba wax. Using the Dremel tool and a clean buffing wheel, I picked up some wax. Then I transferred it to the coin, carefully working it in. I started with the tool going slowly so I was sure that I got in every crevasse. Then I turned it on high speed and melted the surface of the wax. I was using the speed of the tool, not hand pressure.

Finally I changed buffing pads to a clean one and buffed it.

I repeated the carnuba wax treatment, putting it on slowly, putting it on at high speed, finally switching to a clean buffing pad, twice every night for a week (this was getting boring).

I did that six months ago and the coin still looks like God held it in his hand.
Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaa!!
Insaine Rik! got any pictures of it? A hi res pic would make a nice desktop background! :P
I have a mexican coin that is almost pure silver it is quite large and heavy 33 grams I believe but the large silver surface when polished is mirror like so I imagine that any silver coin could also be shined as such but the large surface area adds to it I believe.

MONO
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 28, 2005 05:15PM)
Watchout on the polishing. once you lose the natural surface finish, coins start to look strange.
I love highly-polished Silver Eagle dollars - they look very special.

Rik, does the carnuba wax make the coins slippery?

Richard
I saw a chrome-plated Dollar-sized coin once...about blinded me! LOL!

Doug
I'll make a picture of the coin tonight. The polishing doesn't seem to have changed the surface of the coin. The TarnX was only on the coin for about 5 seconds or so. I pulled it right out and rinsed it off. I did the Wrights Silver ciream several times, until the coin looked great.

The carnuba was didn't make the coin slippery. This carnuba wax isn't the wax that's used on cars. It's used on the bowl of smoking pipes. I bought a huge block of it on ebay for about $10 I seem to recall. t was really cheap.
Awesome Rik! :P
After polishing it, it will just go back to the same color in a little while. But the shiniest coin I seen was probably the one that Devo did the coin roll on XB.
If you want really shiny coins why don't' you just go buy coins that come straight from the Mint? I am from Australia so I don't know if they call them that in the U.S. Because we are usually just weird.

But yeh, in the Mints you can buy coins literally from the press. I have seen ones where they let you make your own coins.
Cool, so they let you in there?
Yeh of course they let you in, well the "shop" part of it anyway.
My "other" hobby is coin collecting. You might want to go to a coin shop and check out their "proof" coins. These have a highly shined mirror-like finish. They fetch somewhat of a premium price, but not too bad for common coins. A proof Kennedy half dollar will run you under $5 (depending on the year and mint mark). A proof Eisenhower dollar would typically be under $10. By contrast, a proof Peace dollar is extremely rare and will set you back about $35K (that's $35,000!).

One thing to note... these coins are not designed to be handled all the time as you will when doing effects with them. So the coin will not remain in "mint condition." Fingerprints, dings, etc. will inherently reduce the attractive look of these coins over time.

I don't recommend using "collectible" coins, thus ruining them and lowering their value (condition is key), but for the investment of a few dollars, it would be worth trying out.
Also, I forgot...

Cleaning coins is a controversial subject with coin collectors. However, while you're at the coin store, ask for some coin cleaner ("dip"). I don't personnally use it on my collectible coins, but to shine up common circulated coins from your pocket change, it does a nice job of restoring to their new "shiny" state.