(Close Window)
Topic: List of Tarot effects
Can everyone contribute to a list of Tarot effects?
One that I just bought is "Tarot insight" from Tannens.....I thought it wasn't that good until I showed some friends and they bugged out. List books, effects, routines,best decks, etc. ....A VIRTUAL ONE-STOP TAROT CENTER.......
There's a good list under a post called "Fortune Telling".....I don't know how to create the link
Well, theres this one , and that one and the other one... :)

no, really, I have like a half dozen of original Tarot ideas (watch for the book)

but in the meantime, get the BOOK OF THOTH by Stephen Minch. lots of good ideas in there...more info? PM me...
Also, be sure to use the search function, there are a large number of items on that topic already in here, as well as discussion on which things done with cards can be effectively used with tarot, and when it might not be the best idea!
k
It's really hard to beat Eugene Burger's routine in which he casts a spell to burn a pentagram-shaped hole through a chosen jumbo Tarot card (yes, you can get Rider-Waite cards in Jumbo). It's in [i]The Experience of Magic[/i], I think.

Rick Maue has some good effects in his excellent [i]Book of Haunted Magick[/i].

Jim Magus has a book, [i]Turn of a Friendly Card[/i], on Tarot effects.

In my experience, nothing has the impact that a good reading has. For this, there are really excellent books, most notably Rachel Pollack's [i]Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom[/i] and [i]The Open Labyrinth[/i]. Ron Martin's [i]Tarot Reader's Notebook[/i] is also very good.

As with all advice, you will have to find your own way, but these books all have good ideas in them.

Yours,

Paul
Let us not forget some great tarot presentations in Christian Chelman's Capricornian Tales.

Or "The Book of Thoth" which is nothing but tricks with tarot cards.
I think that T.C. Tahoe has an entire book on the subject.,,,????
If you're not afraid of a little kid, 8 year old Eleazar Goodenough has an article on making a Tarot Box to hold an oversized Tarot deck and switch a card. But be careful, he was only 5 years old when he wrote it and you know how devious those 5 year olds can be.
http://magicnook.com/WizJournal/JULTOC-B.htm
I just hit the motherload of tarot cards, in a little used-bookshop downtown.
I've been in this town for 12 years now, and not once had I been in there until yesterday. They have all kinds of tarot cards, and some are very old looking (and some are new).
Does anyone know of any rare, valuable, or just extremely cool tarot decks I should keep an eye for ?
I saw a number of round decks, and miniature decks, don't remember any jumbos though.
The Black Hart has some good Tarot effects, both for sale and in the Black Book.

Rick
You can get jumbo ("Giant") Rider-Waite cards directly from U.S. Games:

http://www.usgamesinc.com/newstore/product.php?productid=516&cat=3&page=4

Yours,

Paul
Thanks everyone, please keep adding to the list. I found a list of tarot effects at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wisdom/discussions/tarot.html
There are some in my book "The Black School".

You can also get "Scoring With The Tarot" on my website.
I've made many more Touchdowns using the Tarot since I've read "Scoring With The Tarot"..... All NFL players should get a copy!
[quote]
On 2005-10-02 13:40, Mystician wrote:
Does anyone know of any rare, valuable, or just extremely cool tarot decks I should keep an eye for ?
I saw a number of round decks, and miniature decks, don't remember any jumbos though.
[/quote]
Two cool (and scary too) decks are:

The H. P. Lovecraft tarot deck made by Chaosium Games, whitch I have talked about earlier here. I suggest you do a searh.

The Gothic Tarot deck, made by Monolith Graphics
http://www.monolithgraphics.com/pages/tarot.html
T.H. Waters' Man, Myth & Magik has a few tarot effects.
[quote]
On 2005-09-30 19:57, Slim King wrote:
I think that T.C. Tahoe has an entire book on the subject.,,,????
[/quote]

http://www.tctahoe.com/shadowad.html
And Anabelle's two books in pdf format, also includes some tarot effects.
Mystician,

check out http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/

This is the best place review the multitudes of decks.

My current pet deck is the Golden Tarot. I cannot reccomend it enough. I is what Tarot should have looked like for the past several hundred years. It is made from collaged painting from the 1400 and 1500's. I turned Baba onto this deck to, and he loves it. Oh yeah and the edges are gilded in Gold - sweet, unless you need to make a short card.
Thanks everyone....this list is great.....please add more!
T-Ray

You might want to get a copy of "The Book of Haunted Magic" by Rick Maue also the companion videos as well. There are wonderful tarot routines in the book as well as a ton of great effects and essays. The tarot effects in the book are not hard to perform and the outcomes are really strong. I personally perform a few of the tarot effects from the book and trust me these are great routines.

To demonstrate the strength of one of the tarot effects "Predetermined" here is something that happened to me. About a year ago I had a gentleman approach me four months after seeing me perform. I was having dinner and he came up and said to me "Excuse me your Adrian Deery right"? he then said "I remeber you he said you were the one that did the trick with the tarot cards, you were the one that predicted my death." He said "I am still shook up about that" He really was concerned about this. Now remember I learned that effect in the book and on my honor that was a true story. Hope this helps.

Sincerely

"CARPE NOCTEM"

Adrian Deery

PS. You can order the Book of Haunted Magic and the companion videos directly from Rick at http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Thanks Adrian, I have them both and they are great....everyone should check them out. Anymore? I just got "The Book Of Thoth", but haven't read it yet. T.A. Waters book is also really good.
I just pick up an old supposedly "haunted" Tarot deck that was owned by an old menatlist named Princess Yvonne....anyone heard of her? Keep adding on to the list without judgement.....this is just a list...for everybody (not just me).
Thanks Peo and Senseistrange - I was mostly referring to older decks, mostly - something rare or valuable maybe, without my having to become a scholar at it.
I already know well of aeclectic, and that's an awesome site.
Peo, you nailed it with one of my absolute favorite looking decks, the Gothic deck by Vargo. They don't have that one there, unless I missed it.

SS, Thanks for the tip on the Golden deck, that is indeed nice. I'll have to see if they have it there.

I remember they had a number of circular decks, and minature decks too. I remember seeing the rider-waite and tarot of the cat people decks.
I have to get back there and hunt around some more, but they keep really short, odd hours. Basically, it's an old couple that runs the bookstore, they have money, so they open and close when they feel like it, more or less.
She also invited me to call, and she would come to open the store, but I really don't want to impose on someone like that, I'd rather try to get there when they're "open", as I don't have anything specific in mind yet except browsing.
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 06:12, Peo Olsson wrote:
And Anabelle's two books in pdf format, also includes some tarot effects.
[/quote]

Anabelle's effects from those two eBooks are now inside The Black School book. A couple of her wonderful Tarot routines are also included in "Scoring With The Tarot" with slight variations.
Thank you for the mention Magiker.

Here is the link to our Black Artefacts website: http://www.blackhart.co.uk

The FIRST bizarre efect I ever performed was 'Power of the Tarot' and it is still in my repertoire today.

Keith Hart
GREAT SITE Black Hart! I will be a customer soon...
Hope I am bnot repeating the obvious, I perform in wizard costume and do all my card tricks using a tarot deck, just use minor arcana less the paiges and there you are a "normal", deck,
Thanks.....are there anymore???
[quote]
On 2005-10-02 13:40, Mystician wrote:

[/quote]

My personal preference is the [url=http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/heron-marseilles/]Tarot de Marseilles[/url], with very ancient looking cards.

And then there is of course the great Chelman Tarot with the same pictures and a very convenient extra features.

S%