(Close Window)
Topic: Johnson Cups & Balls set
Hey Cafésters,

Has anyone used Johnson Products brass cups & balls?

The weight is nice. Is there anything else to consider?

Your advice is most appreciated?

As a newcomer to c & b's I can't afford a really expensive set. but my aluminum set just has to go.

thanx,

r
I use the Johnson brass cups. I can't reccomend them highly enough. I love them.
I have a set of Johnson Cups and like them very much. In this price range (approx. $200) you could step up a notch and get smooth copper or brass Sherwood cups for $75 more. Take your time and look around, in this range there are many options. You may want to ask yourself what you want for final loads. The Sherwood cups deliver a tennis ball, the Johnson cups will accommodate a lacrosse ball.
The copper "Babe" cups are a great choice in this price range as well.

They're available from Gazzo at http://www.magicpitch.com
I love the feel of the Johnson Products cups. I just wish they would take a larger load. I prefer copper as well. Other than that, they are fantastic cups.

I use "Babes".
Yep, they're great also if you want to add the combo feature. I don't have them because they don't offer copper.....
I bought the JP brass cups this week, from a fellow Café member. Have spent the last couple of nights practicing my Williamson routine with these and all I can say is that they are really, really nice. If you feel the investment is worth it, go for it. If you are serious about the C & B´s, it is time to leave the aluminum behind. (I´m keeping my Morrisey´s in case my young son who is now four, shares my interest in magic when he is a little older).

Good luck.

José.
Thanks guys,

My preference has gotta be copper. Also, I like the idea of using a tennis ball for a load. Nice color contrast. Do you know if a baseball is roughly the same size as a tennis ball?

Does anyone make mini-tennis balls for cups and balls. though that might be too "cute."

I'll take a look at the "babe" cups.

Plus, Mr. Fitzwilly, are you referring to the Babe cups? Or some other cups when you mention the "combo" feature. What is the combo feature?

=r
In a combo set, one cup is chopped...I have the Bazar set, bought for under 60 bucks and they are copper and I am in LOVE with them...big final loads...

and yes, get rid of the aluminum ASAP :) they are depressing...
Mr. Fitzwilly is referring to the Johnson brass cups with a matching chop cup, thus making it a "combo" set. The tip off is that he was wishing they came in copper. Johnson's don't.
Real baseballs are slightly larger than a tennis ball. However, there are training baseballs available that are about the same size. You can get them from Dick's Sports. What you want is an 8.5" baseball. They go by circumference.

Easton and Rawlings both make these. If you can find them locally, then that's the best thing to do, otherwise you need to order a dozen of them.

The 8.5 inch ball will fit into the Sherwoods.
Thanks for the info guys.

Hope everyone has a swell weekend.

-r
Only downside to the Johnson's is that they feel top heavy to me. The brass rings nice, but I still prefer my Babes. I have had my Johnson's for over a year, and I am still handling them daily to build a patina. Brass will look the part in about 2 months. If thinking about the Sherwood's, don't forget to add the $50 shipping into the equation.
I got my Johnson's just a few months after they came out. I lucked out and found them on eBay for around $125. I absolutely love them. Although, NOW I prefre my silver Sherwoods or copper Risers. These things ring like a bell when struck with a wand. I have really been thinking about having them chrome-plated because I like the silver look better than the gold. Anyone ever done this, Bill?
[quote][i]On 2005-10-03 15:50, pepka wrote:[/i]

I got my Johnson's just a few months after they came out. I lucked out and found them on eBay for around $125. I absolutely love them. Although, NOW I prefre my silver Sherwoods or copper Risers. These things ring like a bell when struck with a wand. I have really been thinking about having them chrome-plated because I like the silver look better than the gold. Anyone ever done this, Bill?[/quote]I'm sure I saw a set of chrome plated Johnson Cups that sold on eBay many months ago. I don't recall the exact selling price, but it seemed to be reasonable, like under $300. So some do exist. I also saw a gold plated set sell there once. I'm not quite as sure, but I believe I saw a set of silver plated Johnson Cups once on eBay, too.

Greg
Rmofsky, the next time that I see you, either at the IBM meeting next month or whenever you stop by my house I'll let you try out my Johnsons.
The Johnson cups are no longer in production?
I think that they are still in production.
I had a set of Johnson cups, then sold them when I upgraded to copper Gazzo cups. For me, once I had handled the copper Gazzo cups, I knew that they were the ones. I have not personally used the copper Sherwoods, but you hear many people speak of these with love. For me, one of the factors in shedding the Johnson cups was the brass. Brass tarnishes, copper gets a nice patina. Plus with the big Gazzo cups, you can load an orange, so they are very visible on the street.

You are going to live with these cups for a long time, so if you have the bucks to bump up to the Sherwoods, the Gazzo cups, or other cups that cost most than the Johnson cups, you ought to think hard about it. But the world is wide, and many people love the Johnson cups.

Yours,

Paul
I tried the Gazzo cups but prefer the Johnsons, they are a better fit for me. Of course Gazzo told me the Johnsons were too small. Then again, I don't do the same kind of performing that he does.
You must go with the love cups.
The Love cups are good. I do like the heft of the Gazzo cups myself.

The early Gazzo cups have a small dimple in the bottom.

The later ones have the large dimple.

Evidently, the older Gazzo gets, the larger the dimple in the bottom gets. I mean the bottom of his cups, of course.
I've never heard of the Love cups. Where can I find out more about them?
Gary Animal made a limited run of them. They are an excellent cup. I think my buddy geemack bought a couple of sets. Right now the Love cups aren't readily available, but I have been told from a very good source that some will be available in copper in about 6 weeks.
[quote]
On 2005-10-05 09:10, CoinMan21 wrote:
The Johnson cups are no longer in production?
[/quote]
Whatever gave you that idea? They are still in production.
Johnson cups are great, but wish mine were copper. I don’t think copper was an option.
Limited Copper were made.
They are great in either material.