(Close Window)
Topic: EBooks vs Books
I'm curious about this and I'll post my opinion first:

It doesn't matter to me if the information is contained in a book or eBook. What I am interested in is the information therein contained. I say this because most Magic & Metalism books are of an inferior quality to the many hundreds of books I have in my library. This is understandable to me because ours is a niche market so it's unrealistic to expect a beautiful and high quality book everytime.

I have a few eBooks and one Book on my website and I'll tell you a little later how incredibly lop-sided the balance is. Mind you, I am comparing just one eBook to the one Book I have featured on there.

What do you guys prefer, and why?
I do not mind eBooks but would never put one out becouse of the piracy issues.

Heck guys steal from your act when you will not publish your work for them to use.
I will be posting on this tomorrow.

I see no reason to make theft easy for these low lifes.

I personaly delete the file after I have made a hard copy.

I belive it is the ethical thing to do.

Jack

H.O.A_X
I think it's a mistake to equate the quality of a publication's content with the medium in which said content is delivered.

There are plenty of great e-books, and a whole lot of poorly written tripe in regular books.
What about these Andruzi books and things that seem to be "Works of Art" in a way? They sell for quite a bit. So, even though the information could be contained in an ebook, the actual hard copy makes it even better..... I like hard copy stuff since I can take it into "The Mens Room" with me....LOL (No computer in there)
Honestly...ebooks are the way to go.
Dave
As far as stealing I don't think it matters much, if people want to do it they can still scan the book then share that as an ebook. I like normal books, not for the same reason slim king mentioned, but close, I read while I wait to get my hair and nails done. Sometimes that can be a while.

Anabelle
Yes, but most who steal do not want to go to the trouble of scanning.

Jack

H.O.A_X
There are similar thread with this
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=140554&forum=135

Real Books!!
I used to be hard copy or nothing. I like to load my e-books into things like Palm pilots etc. I can now carry around a lot of books in one small space. That makes it really nice!
By the way that solves slims problem as well!
I liken this to the old record albums vs. CDs.

For those under 40, there was something special about getting your favorite album and opening it up. The layouts/pictures/lyrics opened up to a nice display. They would even have a unique smell. Watching the needle drop down on that first track added to the anticipation. It touched on all your senses making it more 'interactive' than simply popping in a CD. Now we have MP3 players which are even more distant and impersonal.

You young ones missed out.

And so it is with my books. A worn out book that has lived a full life is far more pleasing to the soul than a cold computer screen with the same content IMO. I'll take the physical book over an ebook everytime.

Music to my eyes.
I miss the smell Jim.... Your post just made me smell a dozen of magic books... the winner is Banachek "psychological subtleties". Smells very good :) It reminded me a period of my life when I was enjoying that book each day in the subway.

Maybe the main E-books advantages are to be able to add animations and maybe videos.
Would rather manufacturers put pdfs on a cdrom as opposed to folded, and often very poor quality instructions. This lets me print them, and bind them myself. I have printed and bound each an every one of my ebooks.
Icy_rabbit,

Do you also print the ebooks containing animations or videos? If so; do you sometimes have to go watch the real animation on the computer?

I sometimes wonder if ebooks should not contain animations at all, but maybe the various frames of the moves instead; So people could print them without losing anything (..but... "OOOuch!" for the cost of the ink)
I know that I approach "dinosaur" status, but I still prefer to have the book in my hands. I can underline, make margin notes, use sticky tabs, etc. The book is warm and tactile. But I know that e-books are the wave of the future. Publishing costs of a major printed book are probably going throught the roof. Which accounts for the high prices of the wonderful books from Stephen Minch and Todd Karr. But, oh what a joy to have them! I just purchased 620 pages of Annemann---"The Life & Times of a Legend" by Max Abrams.

I am becoming a more regular customer of Chris Wasshuber and I have a few of Alexandre's works. I am slowly coming around! But, I still usually print a hard copy of the shorter e-books, for the reasons mentioned above.

When you can add embedded video to an e-book, that increases their value exponentially. For instance, I never felt that the glide was a good move for me. I blamed it on my perpetually dry hands. However, the embedded video in Giobbi's Card College volume suddenly made the move crystal clear or me. Now I can do a glide.

So, here I sit squarely on the fence.

Mark Ross
In my case, it depends of whats inside. For theory I prefer books that I can read and re-read, make anotations and give them and overlook for remeber concepts.I think e-books are good if they are not very long.
By the way I love also CD (even old tapes) for listening in my car between performances. In thos moment thay are very thought provoquing.

Alexandre, wich is the content of your book?.Can you send me or put here a list with the effects and a little description?
E-books are a great way to distribute esoteric material to the magic community. Online sales and distribution makes it easier to accomodate the many (and small) market niches that would be difficult to support by conventional publishing efforts.

The newest method for receiving and paying for magic electronic media is by cell phone.
It depends what your needs are, what you are comfortable with, and what access you have to technology.

The advantages of print-based media:

1. Portable, (unless you're talking about a huge book vs a lightweight laptop).
2. Does not require power access, recharging, or upgrading.
3. Easy on the eyes, no "monitor strain".
4. User friendly, no need for knowledge of various platform interfaces or commands.
5. Can be works of art, collectable.

The advantages of e-based media (PDF's, HTML):
1. Instant access globally via download (instant gratification).
2. Can contain dynamic media as well as text (video clips, animation, sound).
3. Can be made to be searchable via keyword or phrase.
4. Some e-book readers are portable/handheld.
5. Can't spill coffee on it (although you can dowse your keyboard).

There are times when I wish books would come with a DVD of some of the moves or presenatations, and I wish that DVD's would come with printable text files, to break down the stuff on the DVD so that you don't have to keep playing a segment over and over.

Neither format is useful if the content is poorly written, hastily assembeled, ill-thought out, plagiarized, (or just plain stinks).

I think it's just as important for the magic community to review download-based instructional resources the same way that print-based resources are reviewed.

Douglas M.
Having published magic ebooks for more than 6 years I have dealt with ebooks both from a user persepective as well as a publisher and retailer perspective. I had countless discussion of pro and con of ebooks, many of which are available online on various forums. Six years ago when I started most laughed at what I did. Few understood the concept of ebooks and what one can do with such a digital format. Today ebooks are becomming an established format and more and more are putting out their own ideas as ebooks as well as more are starting to read ebooks. There is still a big and dominating 'I prefer books' group, but it is night and day to six years ago. Many do understand what ebooks can offer.

For me the digital format opens up a variety of features which is unaccessible with paper books. Searchability is probably the most important. Anybody who has more than a dozen volumes will find searchability a very important feature, which will allow you to get so much more out of your investment. I have seen countless personal magic libraries. Some as large as 10,000 volumes. Beautiful. Wonderful. But the owner has pretty much no hope to get much information out of his thousands of books. They are great to look at, to fondle, browse a.s.o, but what about all the information in them? Pretty much unaccessible. These people own a magic treasure which they can't even fully take advantage off. For me this is actually very sad. If they would have this information as ebooks, they could search through their libraries and pull out hundreds and thousands of gems, information and tidbits. They are missing out on the real value of their library, in my opinion. Books were 'invented' to diseminate information, not as an object to look at. Yes, some books are wonderful objects by themselves. The binding, the paper, the print. I have seen Gutenberg bibles which are pieces of art. But the information is 100 or 1000 times more powerful and more valuable.

Chris....
Searchability is good. So is portability. But, to me, the main advantage of e-books is, shamefully, instant gratification, which shouldn't really count for much.
I have read a few e-documents and e-books (not just magic related) but, personally, I find e-books are just not as satisfying to read as a physical, bound-book copy. Even if the information is exactly the same, I would rather have the actual book.
Chris,

Your site is wonderful!

You are doing the magic community a big service by making those hard to find/out of print jems accessible.

BTW: I sold my hardbound copy of Bobo to a magic collector two years ago, and now I can replace it electronically. Thank you.

Douglas M.
Douglas, thanks a lot. As you mentioned, we at Lybrary.com are not just working to provide you with the latest and hottest new ebooks, but also with the classics, with the hard to find, with the unusual and with the hidden gems. Hardly a week passes where I don't find some little booklet filled with nuggets long forgotten. Take for example the recently released "Mental Magic with Cards" by Hugard http://www.lybrary.com/mental-magic-with-cards-p-294.html. I was not aware of this book although I am pretty well read in magic. And what a great book it is. I could name three dozen books which 99% of us here have not heard of, which hold secrets of the highest quality. The electronic format allows us to resurface this information and make it available to a reasonable price for everybody to enjoy and work on - and that is the core mission of Lybrary.com

Best,
Chris....