(Close Window)
Topic: Paul hariss' "pain"
Hi, in AOA book 1, there is an effect pain where the performer slams his hand down on the pin you get the idea,
is this safe to do?
That was originally in his 1977 Super Magic book, ( I have a copy) and from what I've read here, it seems most people won't do it. I think the exact instructions aren't extremely clear, there's something to it you have to do, that you might miss, (there is an earlier thread on the Café regarding this trick, try a search), and if you misunderstand ... ouch. I'm kinda foggy on it though.
The trick is actually Harry Eng's.
What is it that he uses, a tac?
I would never do it... Its way to risky for my tastes, But if I remember right its a SHIRT pin, and you have to @@@@ your palm first.
I've done it...once. It was an extremely nerve-wracking experience, but now that I've done it, I would say that I would probably do it again. It worked for me, but I made sure to find a pin that wasn't all that strong to begin with.
Is it something close to "A dangerous opener" described in the Coral Fang?
Can it be done with a tac?
It is not a tack pin. It is a straight pin, much like one what you would find in new dress shirts when you take them out of the package.
Well that sounds really bad, that could just as easily peirde skin,
I assume the one I performed years ago is the same or similar to Paul Harris' version. I don't remember where I learned it, but it was a long, long time ago. I was a teenager and dumb enough to try this. You stick a pin in the table. Then you slap your hand on the pin. There is a small secret here, which will prevent injury (which I almost just gave away -- I edited it out). PM me if you want to know. The pin will bend, about 90 degrees or more (as I remember). You might get a little wound in your palm, but it is so slight that it doesn't bleed. Your hand hurts a bit from the slap, not the pin. It is impressive and not as dangerous as it seems. Thanks for reminding me. I probably shouldn't attempt it again as I am on a blood thinning medication, and I might bleed now.
Pkg

It's not like "A dangerous opener" by Luke Jermay. If anyone one would want to try this, first slap the pin to see if it would bend with a sandel or shoe. If it doesn't bend you'll be glad you didn't try with your hand, lol
Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate.
"Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate."

Um, that wouldn't be bragging now, wouldn't it ? ;)

This is also found in Scarne's Magic Tricks, no. 91 "The Unstickable Pin". Signet books, $3.95 paperback.
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 23:58, johnjnesbit wrote:

"Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate."

Um, that wouldn't be bragging now, wouldn't it ? ;)

This is also found in Scarne's Magic Tricks, no. 91 "The Unstickable Pin". Signet books, $3.95 paperback.
[/quote]

Yes, you are right, and that's apparently where I learned it.
Message: Posted by: Almost Amazing Doug (Oct 20, 2005 01:06AM)
Yep, learned this many years ago as a kid, smarts just a little but have never punctured myself with it. The pin has always bent or flown out from under my hand. Last did it three or four years ago, I think.

I used to pair it up with "pin in crotch of elbow," which usually gets just as strong of a reaction. I still do the pin in elbow every once in awhile; I always have my elbow with me, but finding a large wooden tabletop in which to stick the pin for the first effect doesn't occur that often anymore...darn laminate tabletops anyhow! Anyone else remember or perform the pin in elbow? PM me if you'd like details on the elbow trick.

Doug
I have to read up on it again but it sounds like the one they did on mondo magic. I beleave they got hurt or acted like they did. But I could be wrong.
Yeah I did it, started with a straightened out paper clip and then a pin with a ball head then a normal one, doesn't hurt much if at all!
Thanks for all of your help, what size do you guys use?
I should have picked up on this earlier, but in response to Almost Amazing Doug's post, the "pin in crotch" must hurt a lot! Oh, my mistake, it is "crotch of elbow." Whew!
Message: Posted by: Almost Amazing Doug (Oct 21, 2005 06:00PM)
LOL, Bill!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that in all these years.

Doug
Yeah does is not peirce the skin I tried it and it feels like it is gonna peirce my skin,
Yeah I keep trying and it doesn't bent, I ca't sometimes get my arm together so much it wont go any further, whywont it bend?
Bang straight down on the pin, joker 55. Hit it hard enough to make a loud noise. He who hesitates is lost, and all that. The thing is not to be afraid of it. Just slap the **** out of it. Hit it like you want to drive it into the table.
But don't forget the preliminary action!
Ok, thanks but I was talking about when you put it in the crotch of your elbow,
I don't think the point of the elbow thing is to bend the pin; it is simply that the pin is squeezed up in your elbow without sticking you. Maybe some can bend the pin this way. I can't.
Message: Posted by: Almost Amazing Doug (Nov 7, 2005 11:14PM)
You are correct, Bill - the pin in the elbow doesn't bend, it just looks like it's being driven way into the flesh of the arm.

Doug
And just for the show, don't forget to put a little bit of curare on the pin. :)
LOL! Beyrevra, that would be just the thing to relax a nervous performer!
Message: Posted by: Almost Amazing Doug (Nov 9, 2005 12:55AM)
I'm big. It takes a *lot* of curare ;-)

Doug