(Close Window)
Topic: Flash Burst vs. FISM Flash
I was wondering if someone who has used either or both items could give me their honest opinion of the effect called "Flash Burst" which looks like a streamlined version of the FISM Flash that was available years ago.

Here's the description of Flash Burst:

"Flash Burst is a brilliant flash of light from nowhere! Imagine doing any one of your favorite routines and highlighting the point of magic witha brilliant flash of light. Your hands are completely empty AND in complete view; yet this inexplicable flash happens just inches from spectators! What's more, the unit resets automatically, can be used over and over, and is completely safe.

Use the flash Burst when vanishing or producing any object for an added special effect!

Comb your hair then touch the comb to your finger and have a flash appear!

Drop a flashcube in a plastic bag. Hold the bag in front of you. Now appear to concentrate, and there's a flash. It looks like it came from the flashcube!

Pick up a spoon and a fork. Rub them on the tablecloth and when you touch them, a flash appears!

Even use it with a vanishing Birdcage!

Produce a live dove from a flash of light.

Enhances any effect and looks like real magic!

No matter how you use the flash Burst your audience will gasp in amazement. flash Burst comes with professionally crafted gimmick and complete instructions."

I used to own a FISM Flash and found it to be a bit cumbersome. How does Flash Burst compare to this? Once you have the effect "in place", is it easy to use, comfortable to wear, and practical in its use? How small is the unit - can you hide it with regular clothing, without a jacket?

Also, is the flash bright enough to be seen through a darker color shirt (as in the photo on the HP site)?

Thanks!
I'm still waiting for my 'flash burst' as part of that order is on back order for a week. This topic was recently discussed here and prompted me to order. I understand the flash is similar but most importantly, the reset time was only a second.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=126259&forum=11
Hi Randy - thanks for your response! I did see that other thread, but I was hoping to find out a little more specific info.

I had a FISM Flash years ago, but sold it because it was slightly too big and bulky to wear. I don't wear jackets and will be performing this in a close-up situation, so I'm looking for something a little more streamlined.

I'd love to know your thoughts once you've received it.

Thanks again!
[quote]
On 2005-10-16 18:34, RandyStewart wrote:
I'm still waiting for my 'flash burst' as part of that order is on back order for a week. This topic was recently discussed here and prompted me to order. I understand the flash is similar but most importantly, the reset time was only a second.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=126259&forum=11
[/quote]

Back order? Where did you order it so we can avoid that place.
Sorry for the confusion. One of the items on my list was made to order which has caused the delay in shipping of other items to include Flash Burst. I had requested combined shipping to save on shipping costs. However I was aware of the delay before placing order and will be receiving it later this week. I'll post my opinions of the gadget ASAP.
I've owned flash burst for long time and I love it. it is compact and packs a nice punch! also you can order different color bulbs if that fits your venue. I also like the fact that you can put the trigger in your shoe and activate it with one of your toes. when I had tried to purchase fism flash, I found out that it wasnt being produced at that time, so the only way to get it was used. so I bought flash burst brand new and couldn't be happier :) you can get it at hocus-pocus.com just type it in the product search bar
Thanks Lunatik - one question - how big is the belt pack? Can you hide it easily with an untucked t-shirt or dress shirt?

ok - 2 questions - can you be wearing a darker color shirt with this?
I have FISM flash.. how big is Flash Burst in comparision?

Thanks,

John
I own both. Flash Burst is not as bright as Fism Flash . Flash Brust cannot penetrate through a darker color shirt . I have use Fism Flash for 4 years never have a problem. Sure fires every time . I have sold out my Flash Brust. I highly recommend Fism Fash. Go to get it if you can find one .

Hope this help.
Illusion77 I understand your question regarding the flash through dark clothes. I wasn't concerned with the flash being slightly less bright than FISM Flash by Cornelius as I secure the flash to the inside and right on the edge of my coat.

What compelled me was activation with my foot. I suppose you could rig anything that has a wire including FISM Flash but, although not afraid of anything, wiring devices scares me. The flash is to be used during a manipulation act and as with other hidden equipment within my act, I'll put up with any rigging or discomfort to achieve even the slightest effect - every effect I choose has it's purpose and contributes to an overall impression and presentation worth exercising.

I think I'd be happy with either FISM Flash or Flash Burst as I can tolerant and work with the cons of either design. When I first saw FISM Flash several years ago, it was presented to me with the flash cube in a bag. I hadn't thought about it's application in my own act until recently.

I do know the presenter had the bulb pinned down in such a way that the flash would be visible and quite bright regardless of color clothes worn. You'd have to lock the thing in a safe to not be seen! Hehehehehe. Again, I'm refering to FISM Flash by Cornelius which is just a fantastic device.
I got a FISM flash several years ago...it works great. My concern...and this applies to both John Cornelius and Steve Dusheck is that both of them have quit producing items. They are frustrated in that every time they produce something, it gets knocked off. Because of this, they have decided "why bother."

Bob
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 00:47, bobn3 wrote:
I got a FISM flash several years ago...it works great. My concern...and this applies to both John Cornelius and Steve Dusheck is that both of them have quit producing items. They are frustrated in that every time they produce something, it gets knocked off. Because of this, they have decided "why bother."
Bob
[/quote]

Yes, we have probably seen the last of the brilliant items from John Cornelius.
I had mentioned to him about Kenton Knepper selling knock offs of thought transmitter
and John said he didn't see why inventors bothered anymore. He also said he felt he really got copied a lot on thought transmitter. Sad.

James
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 02:18, Xiqual wrote:
[quote]
Bob
[/quote]

I had mentioned to him about Kenton Knepper selling knock offs of thought transmitter
and John said he didn't see why inventors bothered anymore. He also said he felt he really got copied a lot on thought transmitter. Sad.

James
[/quote]

What knock off has Kenton done?
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 23:31, MagicChris wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-18 02:18, Xiqual wrote:
[quote]
Bob
[/quote]

James
[/quote]

What knock off has Kenton done?
[/quote]

He was selling a thought transmitter knockoff and a crystal car [which is a knockoff too, so it was a knock knockoff]
A few other items on his webpage. It's just funny how he preaches about stealing and he sells that crap.

James
Yes,its really funny since I recieved many emails from Kenton website about stealing,ethics and respecting the originator-inventor but he sells knockoffs!Thats magic in 2005...
Trouble is if people support these rip-off merchants, buy buying 'crap' from them, they will continue to knock of others ideas. Personally, I refuse to buy from people who have ripped of others ideas like Knepper, and I think others should do the same, perhaps they will learn.

Anyway, back to topic, does anyone know where I can find a fism flash or flash burst, have searched and no luck, but there must be some about.
[quote]
On 2005-10-19 10:57, MagicMcQuade wrote:
Anyway, back to topic, does anyone know where I can find a fism flash or flash burst, have searched and no luck, but there must be some about.
[/quote]

For FISM Flash you can go directly to the Cornelius site.

Hank Lee and Hocus Pocus currently offer Flash Burst. For Flash Burst there seems to be a $10 difference between the two vendors so check them both out and take your pick.
Thanks Randy.

Now I just need to decide which one to go for :-( Maybe ill flip a coin!
I was disappointed when my FISM Flash broke almost a year ago. Is there anyone that fixes these things? Also, do they still sell the toe switches or is it just a matter of finding one? Or would it be better just to find another or try flash burst because I'm not sure exactly why it's broke (I think it's the bulb or filament parts inside). So that's three questions in one if anyone can point me in the right direction on this. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Mack Magic
I went to Cornelius site and there doesn't seem to be any repair service available. How long have you had the FISM Flash? It may just need the bulb replaced. I wonder if a technician at a camera shop would be able to rig the thing. If you get lucky you may find someone at a Radio Shack who can help you.
I took mine out of storage after 12 years and thought it wasn't working. I took it to a camera shop to fix. It was still working just wasnt making any noise when it was on. I emailed John and his recommendation was to take it to a camera repair shop. He also recommends making sure the batteries are making good contact. So you may want to clean the contacts. I saw the camera repair person use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts.

Hope this helps,

Mike
[quote]
On 2005-10-22 10:55, MikeOB wrote:
It was still working just wasnt making any noise when it was on. I emailed John and his recommendation was to take it to a camera repair shop. [/quote]

Wha? You want it to make noise? I'm confused. You said it worked but wasn't making noise and you set it out to repair it? What sort of noise do you want it to make?

I suppose a bright flash and a fog horn effect would be interesting. Hehehehe.
When you turn it on since it is a p**** f**sh it made a whistling sound like any other f**sh when it recycles. I assumed all the other fism flashes did the same thing. After I got it out of storage it did not make the sound which is a good thing but it also was not working. The photo repair shop did not know how to fix it but they cleaned the battery contacts. It suddenly started working when I got it home. I defiently would not want it to make the noise a f**sh does. hehe

Mike
Randy, did you ever get your flash burst ?

I've heard two people now say that fism flash is brighter, but my flash burst seems plenty bright to me. I'll have to double check the instructions that came with it but I think I read something to the effect that they upgraded the bulb.. ? (Unless that's just in reference to the original bulb in the flash unit)

I can't say how much smaller Flash Burst is than FISM because I've never seen FISM to compare them. I will say that I think the FB module could stand to be a bit smaller, and in fact, there is some dead space inside the thing.
I'm considering taking the guts out and mounting them in a custom box that's slimmer - the wiring isn't tricky at all (well, I was an electronics tech for years too). The best part of FB has to be the toe switch - I can see applying that to several effects.. and the FB has a kill switch on the module too, so you can walk about normally without flashing every 1.1 seconds. ;-P
Afterall, nobody wants to be accused of flashing !
Just got it a couple of days ago. This flash, if memory serves me, is just like that of FISM Flash. The instructions state the bulb has been "upgraded" whatever that means. Although I'll be using mine while pinned to the right side inside my jacket, I decided to use it under a shirt. That thing is pretty bright even under a dark shirt. In fact it appears brighter under a dark shirt as white shirts just absorb too much of the bulb's light.

As for the module size, it's 3 x 2 3/4 inches with a velcro strap that fastens easily around your waist. The kill switch is handy and very accessible even under a shirt. Just a click and it's on or off.

My only concern was the instructions had no company contact information such as an e-mail addy or phone number for customer questions. I'd like to know how many flashes you can get out of these bulbs before they burn out! Or do high-intensity gas flash bulbs never burn out with reasonable use?

The flash is fired by a pressure sensitive switch powered by two AA batteries.

Otherwise I'm extremely satisfied with it great enough to order another for backup and I'll be using it for sure!

Highly recommended.
Glad to hear you really like it - and that the flash is just as bright.
Steve Johnson is the inventor, but I found that his home webpage is down.
Flash it up and flash it down!! Feel like a clown?

Keep it round!!

:rotf:
Uhhh... yeah..
Hello,
For those that own and use the FISM Flash, I'm wondering where you place the trigger unit and what you use to secure the bulb in place behind your shirt. I have been using it for 2 years, but never found a great solution to either of these problems. The best spot for the triggering device for me is under the armpit in terms of triggering it with the most ease and while having both hands free, however it also seems to be one of the most awkward places to secure it. As for the bulb, the elastic works but tends to move around and can get uncomfortable if worn for awhile. Also, is anyone aware of how to rig up a toe switch for the FISM flash? Mystician, I noticed that you have some past experience as an electronics tech, so if you know I'd love to find out. :) Thanks!

-Oz
Hey Oz,

I fish the bulb part through my sleeve and trigger it when I point at something. As far as triggering, I have the main device near my pants pocket and trigger it when my other hand is in my pocket. I secure it using an ace bandage around the thigh. Probably not the best solution.

Mike
Oz,

Maybe you can adapt to FISM what comes with FlashBurst for the unit. A thin fabric waist belt with a receiving piece of velcro on the side. The unit is pressed against the waist and holds in place. That arrangement all goes under the shirt. For the bulb, try pinning it to the outside of your undershirt. You may even use a safety pin to hold it in place. Throwing on shirt covers it all and you can start flashing the audience. Ugh wait that didn't come out right...well you know what to do.

Can't help you on the wiring for foot activation. That's why I went with FlashBurst so I could avoid that problem.
I have both units. My preference is the Flash Burst because on the "safety switch" and the toe switch. Also I like the colored "gels" or sleeves that you can buy for the Flash Burst. FISM flash was just a bit awkward for me to activate without looking "fishy". A lanyard or big elastic loop attatched to the bulb is great for holding it in place (you wear it around your neck under your shirt).
Hi Oz, regarding the toe switch, offhand I don't know where to procure one, but I'm sure I can find out. They also wouldn't be hard to make; essentially it's just a leaf pressure switch: two parallel, thin, flat, slightly arched strips of metal (copper probably) that close the circuit when they are compressed together. Heat shrink tubing can be found in all sizes, that'd make a great "housing" for it. But let me see what I can dig up on the 'net or from one of my catalogs first !
Thanks Mystician. Probably best to post it in here as I'm sure others are interested as well.

-Oz
Anyone who's interested in toe switches need look no further than the one used by professional cheats and U.S. intelligence agencies. PM me if interested.

Larry
So far, most of the switches I've found commercially available are sold by companies who specialize in gadgets for people with disabilities, people who are wheelchair bound, paralyzed, etc.. and they usually don't have the prices.

On the home front (aka cheaping out !) I got one of those pressure mats that are sold this time of year for halloween, you know, the ones you step on and it triggers that little white box which plays a screaming sound.
I cut it open and found it to be much more simple than commercial pressure mats - basically, there's it's just a little round metal disc (known as a "force sensing resistor") in the center that's about the size of a half dollar, but thinner, and the connecting wire is just two leads, soldered on the disc at two points. Squeezing the disc triggers the sound.

It'd be easy enough to just take a couple of small strips of duct tape and make a tiny pressure pad by sandwiching it loosely in the strips of tape, and stick that in your shoe.
Or, probably even better, cut out a small strip section (say, 2" x 1" )from that same mat, which is just foam and a clear sheet of plastic inside - I'm not sure, but I think somehow this works off of a static charge to affect the disc (this is interesting stuff to me, I'm going to keep digging), and laminate the edges to enclose the disc inside it. This would look pretty darn close to what comes with Flash Burst !!

I'll take pics with my digital camera and document the whole project, should be fun.
Oh, and Walgreens was blowing out their halloween stuff, I got the mat for all of $1.49 !

Larry, I'm interested, what kind of source do you have for toe switches ?

Here's what I've found:
http://www.tekscan.com/flexiforce/flexiforce.html
http://www.steadlands.com/interlink/interlinkpages/fsr.htm
http://www.sensitronics.com/force-sensing.htm

Most of this stuff though, is beyond what we want - this is often used for measuring force, we just want a simple switch.
Mystician, your PM box is full. Clear it out and I'll PM the information to you.

Larry
Argh !!!! again ?
That's the price of being popular I guess ;-)

thanks, gimme a second here...
Mystician, PM sent.
I made my own flash unit and toe switch years ago. It consisted of a sunpak camera flash. My toe switch was 2 minin bike cards with a sponge border. Inside was a wire soldered on a flat thumb tac, which one was glued to each card. You could trigger by applying pressure and the sponge would keep wires/tacs appart til then. I wore this inside my sock on my ankle bone. When needed, I would just tap my right heel on my left ankle...Great for walk around. PM me if you need details. It cost me about $30 to make + about and hour time. Please be aware of the capasitor in the flash units!
What about old microwave touch panels for switches? Anyone think of that?
Actually, I'd thought of the microwave type switches, but that seems overly complex for what's needed, and I don't know if they can continiously stand up to a person's weight.
So far, the screaming doormat mod seems perfect ! Total cost (of the switch), at the most is $6.99, the average cost of the mat. If nothing else, you get a LOT of sponge material from a mat :bwink:
Thank you Randy and Mike for the suggestion to go to the camera shop. It doesn't make the 'noise' or flashes so that could potentially be one of the problems. I believe there is something wrong with the battery connectors(metal pieces) too but I think that can be fixed.
The toe switch ideas/set ups are interesting. I suppose if you can't find one there are workable ways to make one.
Sincerely,
Mack Magic
I like the Flash Burst as a special effect, but I could tell after a little practice with it that I really wouldn't use it much if it required so much set up, running wires through clothing and taping switch in shoe. I ended up mounting mine under the top of my Instant Dove table with the switch at the rear and the flash in the front. Now it is really easy to use, so of course I will use it a lot more. In fact I just bought another unit on the Café to put under another table. Home Depot sells a cable stapler that is perfect for stapling the wires under the table top. The staples have a curve in the middle that allows space for the cable and the gun has a notch that you put on the cable to line everything up so you can't miss.

Oliver
Who sells the cheapest flash burst. I may have to pay shipping to England. thanks
You'll have to search on that. I bought my first one from Hocus Pocus and took advantage of one of their 25% off sales. The other I got a good deal on from a member of the Café.

Oliver
HI,
I noticed that GRAND ILLUSIONS at grandillusion.com has the FLASH BURST. I think they do any repairs on the FLASH BURSTS that are needed.
SHARPBIZ
Hi Again.
I noticed that I typed the wrong address for GRAND ILLUSIONS. It is
grandillusions.com. I forgot the s. Sorry
sharpbiz
Here's a direct link:
http://www.grandillusions.com/en-us/dept_44.html
After reading all these posts, I am confused.

I want to buy a flash unit where I can make it flash 12 times over 3 minutes. So I need complete control over the flashes, with no 'charge-up' time between flashes. Some of those flashes need to be 5 seconds apart. Can they do that?

My hands need to be completely free for the magic, so that means a toe switch, with the flash either coming out of my sleeve or from under the shirt I am wearing. I don't want to buy a unit and have to modify it myself - which unit comes with the toe-switch built in?

There are 3 available from what I can find. Which one is the brightest, and how easy is it to change the bulb?
On that question, can you put coloured bulbs into the unit?

On batteries, does it take normal AA batteries or some really expensive rare batteries and how long do they last?

FISM Flash - John Cornelius
http://www.magichutonline.com/FISM_Flash_by_John_Cornelius_p/fism.htm

Magic Flash - Lights from Nowhere
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magic-Flash-Light-From-Nowhere-Magic-Trick-C-Demo_W0QQitemZ220434303036QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3352e8883c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Flash Burst
http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1192

Make your own
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JGz6_wEsU
Stephen,

Having watched the youtube video, I'd say it was easy enough (and waaaay cheaper) to make your own (which I plan to do!)

I'm do electronics expert (although I know some) but I'd have thought that the less time you need between flashes, the stronger the batteries need to be to charge the flash. As for colours, you could just use a filter over the flash itself!

See you at MCM.

Regards,

Martin.