(Close Window)
Topic: VooDoo Criss Angel
Does anyone have a clue about that this effect?
Does everything cris angel do have to have cut scenes in it?
Either a lot more is happening than what we see or he needs to fire his editor!

LOL

Magickman
After watching the Mindfreak series last night, I too would like to find out more about the voodoo doll effect.
Here's a solution, have a camera on you, a cigarette, and an assistant... as you start to shoot, act as if ur assistant is a stranger.....got the point? :P
What about some gasoil putted on the ground ?:p
:P
Oh and don't forget the skin putty, a couple of thin tubes and fake blood...and you will need some editing programs (AVID, edit7, media 100, adobe premiere...)

and you can do that! just make sure ur assistants are good actors (add a couple of curses to add realism...heck even have a french assistant...remember "MERDE!") :P
Message: Posted by: TheNightBringer89 (Nov 11, 2005 05:02PM)
Well I think at least the part where he "burns" the spectator is possible, obviously the dirty work is edited out, think ashes on the palm. But who the frick is going to burn their spectators and expect them to be entertained? that's a fun word to say friiiiiiiick......
Itching powder would help...but that would be the itchy effect!
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 18:22, pkg wrote:
Itching powder would help...but that would be the itchy effect!
[/quote]

LOL!
Or how about some aphrodisiac? sheesh!!
Lol :)

that forum is a goldmine of good ideas :P:p
Maze : get ur hand one some 100K production budget, and I am pretty sure you can levitate up to 20 feet off ground and sell dvds n special tv appearances in no time! you can even make ordinary people disappear while they are walking, cars etc etc....
.....that's why I think that christopher reeve when playing superman was the first to really levitate .....:P:p shame on you mister Copperfield ! :P
Perhaps you are thinking of George Reeves? Or perhaps Kirk Alyn? Several Supermen flew before Christopehr Reeves... Why is it that I suddenly feel old?

Dave
Lol

well maybe because you remember batman as being adam west rather than george clooney too :P:)
I have no problem shocking a spectator with a small static shock but to actually burn a spectator. I would feel bad. I did the Vodoo card trick from Hollingsworth book. Well anyway I was asking them if they felt the warmth or heat from the card they had in there hand while I was burning mine. I thought I would make them feel the heat by tapping my card on the top of there palm and I accidently burned them. I felt awful..
I also remember when I was 18 working at the mall(Now 26 No judgeing)
I lit some flash paper and threw it upwards will needless to say my friend (Lucky I was) moved forward. and the paper hit her forehead.. Burnt a few of her hairs. She was cool but I felt awful. Again I was 18 and stupid. Now I'm 26 and dumb, so I have learned from it.
I once saw a very old (+- 1940-60)footage made in africa rainforest showing a guy in somekind of a transe levitate in the middle of the village at something like 2 feet of the ground ....(i am still looking for this one )...
more recently for those who are from france and know the show "thalassa" there was that documentary over the voodoo and his native land "benin",
at a moment they showed somekind of 6 ft straw pyramid under wich they putted a small voodoo doll ...and then the pyramid become animated and started running behind the villagers ...at the end they lifted the pyramid off the ground to show that there is nothing but that scary voodoo doll ..pretty impressive ...considering that it was made in clear daylight, and in the center of a clear place...
for those who wanna make further research it's called the "zangbeto"

:)
Reminds me of a an old french program...mystere (with an inversted s) had an episode about voodoo, a girl's revenge...and how her bf used to bleed and have "attacks"...
For the voodoo doll effect...
I found out a perfect way to mimmick the whole thing. Its quite simple once the theory is understood.... But it might be too sensitive or it could be considered exposure here...
The thalassa programme sounds interesting, I think I might look it up. I think it's worth pointing out that Vodou doesn't come from Benin, though - its roots are in Benin (where the word Vodu means spirit or god in the fon language) but Vodou as the religion is firmly a Haitian creation where the ancestral cult of Benin was mixed with various other African cults and a good dose of catholicism. Dolls aren't used in Vodou either (although I think in New Orleans Voodoo there is more use of them), at least not in the way people traditionally think.

It's an interesting topic, but I think we can and should make the effort to be faithful to the truth when we use something like this for our magic.

I'm off to see if I can find the thalassa programme hoping it's on a re-run, MaZe, can you remember when it ran and what the title of the episode was?

Thanks!

Allan
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 07:20, pkg wrote:
Here's a solution, have a camera on you, a cigarette, and an assistant... as you start to shoot, act as if ur assistant is a stranger.....got the point? :P
[/quote]

You have to be kidding if you think the spectators (and there were 3 or 4, not 1) are in on it. Please take at least one acting course before you presume to decide who is acting and who is a genuine spectator. It's quite easy to tell the difference with a little dramatic experience. I have no idea how this is done, but those spectators are not assistants.
[quote]
On 2005-12-29 17:36, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-11-11 07:20, pkg wrote:
[/quote]

You have to be kidding if you think the spectators (and there were 3 or 4, not 1) are in on it. Please take at least one acting course before you presume to decide who is acting and who is a genuine spectator. It's quite easy to tell the difference with a little dramatic experience. I have no idea how this is done, but those spectators are not assistants.
[/quote]

with someone like criss angel's reputation, it is very VERY EXTREMELY hard to beleive (in my case) that no stooges were used. plus havent you noticed the EXTENSIVE editing? either his editor was on speed or some LSD, or he is REALLY that bad, or something fishy is going on here (which is the most probable...again, in MY opinion)

when it comes to magic, I beleive in "guilty till proven innocent"...sorry but that's just me!
And will someone remind me of the definition of a good actor?

so britney spears is a good actress because it clearly shows that she's tyring to act, and al pacino in scent of a woman is a bad actor because you cant really tell if he's really acting? (and that's a rethorical somewhat sarcastic question)
First of all, I never said anything about good or bad actors, as far as I can recall. I was a professional actor for 13 years (look me up on IMDB). I have seen every one of Al Pacino's films, studied many of them, and believe me, he wouldn't pass for a spectator on a magic show. It's not about good or bad actors. It's just that the task of an actor is different than appearing as if he or she is a random spectator on a a reality show.

Besides, don't you kind of make my point for me when you say there is a lot of editing on the Criss Angel specials? If the voodoo specs were stooges, why would he need a lot of editing? I agree that there is too much editing, and I agree that there are things happening we tv audiences don't get to see.

My only complaint with your attitude is that it is too crude and general for an art as sophisticated as magic. He uses stooges!! And lots of camera editing!! For all of it!! That's how it all done!!!

I am not talking about the entire series, nor am I defending Criss Angel. I have studied the voodoo effect for awhile, and am offering my opinion that those spectators are not stooges. I'm not saying he never uses them, and I'm not saying he doesn't use editing to clean up some of his magic. I'm just an experienced actor telling you those particular specs are not stooges, to my trained eye.
I don't know how he has done this effect...

but this is possible maybe not so clean, but with no stooges, no editing, no tv crew, no assistants

The only thing I need for this stunt is a little pre show work and an electronis device..
Definitely possible. Actually, without any electronics device, it can also work. But risk is high.
You are right, possible without electronic devices, but not sure fire...
The editting is actually done to appeal to the younger crowd. Watch some other kiddy shows (like I do with my nieces/nephews) and you'll see the similiarities. Remember... the XBow generation wants to see the same camera angle for an average of 4 seconds.
You know I like Criss Angel. I think his presentation style is very well done. But, he does use the living crap out of some shills. And cuts scenes. I think he does a great job at fooling magicians into thinking, "wow, I'm totally gonna buy that, that was way to cool and way to impromtu not to have" But upon futher review, we see the shilly truth. but hey, it makes good tv.
I like anything that gets people excited about magic even if it involves a shill a minute. But like Midnight333 says it makes for good tv.
One of his edited strengths in the first season for the younger crowd may have been the transition piece of the reclined beautiful nakeed woman with the sushi arranged over her body... in fact, those bits of bizarre characters - to me - were cool and helped defined his magic personae - in Season 1 that is.