(Close Window)
Topic: Harley Newman on UK TV
Harley was on Dirty Tricks in the UK this week.

It was great seing him work, and watchin gthe audiences reaction when he brought out the four-nail bed of nails. Ouch!

Kevin.
Excellant piece,,,should have done more.
How much do you want for your foldable bed of nails Harley???

Ken.
I'm glad you liked it! I totally enjoyed doing that show. What a creative bunch of folks!

I also got to wander London a bit, which was good. I watched some street performers at Covent Garden (mediocre) and a lady with a magic stand who I stood and wathed doing her pitch for about 1 1/2 hours. Such beautiful work! And I had to face down a gypsy on Portobello Road, who I spotted running a pickpocket operation.

If you contact them, maybe they'll invite me back, eh?
Harley,

I've seen the lady at Covent Garden (did she have a huge safety-pin in her head when you saw here too?). As you say she's better at what she does than some of the entertainers there.

Kevin.
I don't remember a safety pin. She was mostly pitching a turnover coin box. Most of the people who passed her, stopped. Most of the people who stopped, bought something. And she knew just enough other languages that she could grab their attention to do the sale. She was one of the best pitchers I've ever seen.
Next time your slumming it over here let us know in advance then we can show you the parts the Tourist`s don`t see!!!!

Like I said,,,good spot but FAR TOO SHORT.

Ken.
BTW Thanks again for you know what.
I really enjoyed Harleys slot on the show, by far my favourite bit of the series so far! I really liked the mask used after the bed of nails, very funny. Hopefully you will be back on our screens soon...

Jamie.
Thanks! I like the mask bit also, though I don't use it too often, these days. After years of using people from the audience to swing the hammer, I only do that when I either know that the person, or train them, or both.

Too many times, somebody missed.
Just to reiterate Kens question and out of curiousity for Red Stuart, do you have plans for the folding/collapsible bed of nails? I don't think I've seen it (we don't get UK shows here for another few years, which is why a major portion of Americans think you guys are out of date.... stupid Americans!). Anyway, Red needs a collapsible bed of nails and he insists on building it himself. What kind of set up do you have? I'm in the process of setting up an AOL screen name in my acount for him to use. Keep in touch, Harley!
Great show Harley, shame the segment wasn't a bit longer.
Bravo!
-James
When its Harley, its always a great show!

Next time you are this side of the world, let me know, I know more exciting places than Ken.

...actually, I am probably wrong about that you know. Kens been around a while ;)
Ok am I missing something here? I must be. Does the bed collapse for the show, or is it a storage issue. If it is a storage issue, this is what I did:

I am on my 4th bed. I cut a piece of 1 inch plywood in half. Then I cut a 6 inch swath from the center and hinge all three parts together. Use lots of HEAVY hinges or they will break/ come loose due to the weight of the nails. This enables the piece to fold up with the center as a "spine" and the nails point inward so they don't tear up the trunk of your car. Drill holes small enough to hold the nails snug in the three pieces. Then I push/hammer the nails through. Nails occasionally fall out, and I just replace them. Also, if one should wish, you could take out all the nails and replace them for each show - but that is a lot of work.

Comments?
I am lying on Harley's Folding Bed of Nails in these [url=http://www.memoryelixir.com/stuntworkshop/workshop2.html]photos[/url]. It's very clever!

Yours,

Paul