(Close Window)
Topic: Capricornian tales
Just found on e-bay a new copy listed from £7.50 The capricornian tales is one of the best books available or at least should be in the library of any discerning performer.

Ragerds,
Glenn
I was fortunate enough to recently buy my copy used for $15 from someone here on the Café - the copy is in mint condition.
Great book, somebody buy it !
It is indeed a quality book to own.
INteresting plots devised and actually performed by Chelman.
The props he has created for them are fantastic!
This book is wonderful. I can't wait for the new Hauntics to be released.

-thomas
If the Surnateum is any indication, there are going to finally be some explanations for the wonderful "relics and artifacts" presented there by The Collector.

Rick
I should consider reading this book, once...
;-)
A very good book indeed. Someone should pick it up (I have it already).

Magixx
Christian...if you haven't read this, you should be ashamed...:bg:
The Capricornian Tales are a modern classic - a must read!
Best *** book on bizarre period. Christian, mine burnt in the fire...got an extra one for me? :)
OK os if not cabable of getting both. What are the suggestions between this and seance?
OK.....I bought Seance and Capricornian Tales.......ya'll have me salivating over these........
Gede,
Mine also went through a fire...a friend of mine perished in a fire in his home, only his magic collection in the other end of the home went with little damage. After his death several items were given to me as a "momento". The edges of the book are black, and the dustcover was burned onto the cover...

Weird that this book seems to attract fire... :eek:
Unhappy!!! You have thus not made the ritual as it was stipulated on page 107! :(
Ok so which one should I get? I cant get both right now. And one of them seems to attract fire. Though I'm sorry for what happen. I just don't want one of them to suddenly become out of stock or print.
Paisa -- I think it depends on what the focus of your performing is. Capricornian Tales is full of examples of fine storytelling magic that will inspire you to take this kind of magic in new directions. Seance is full of
very strong material focused on ... well on performing seances. While much
of the material in Seance can be used in other presentations, most ot the material
contained therein is designed for the seance room.

As far as going out of print, Seance was just reprinted, so perhaps you would be safer to wait on that one? Only a guess, I don't know how many they reprinted.

All I can tell you is that both contain a great deal of excellent material, so you won't be sorry, whichever you choose.

Dave
Get Capricornian tales, whenever you are reading, make sure you are soaked in you tub, when not reading, wrap it in plastic bags and drop it in a tank!

seriously though, remember paisa, it's all about your preferences! while seance needs a "fixed" and prepared room, capricornian would be more of a "walk around" effects compared to it.

think about what suits YOU and what YOU want to perform!
hope this helps!
Capricornian tales sounds like the route for me then. Thank PKG..ok change of plans in regard to what Baba just said on the post right below mine(this one).
Capricornian Tales is not walking around miracles...on the contrary, one must sit down, light a candle or three, invoke the Gods, and get to work...
I'd take either one if I could, but right now if Rolls-Royce cost ten cents a carload, I couldn't buy a Yugo hub-cap! :bawl:
What I meant is, that you can light a candle anywhere, set the mood and atmosphere, ANYWHERE, for seance you need a PRE-prepared place in most cases...

didn't want to make it sound like "street magic"
The "Seance" magazine (in book form) is very much focused on the seance situation. There may be only limited venues where that can be performed. If you want to do seances, then the bound Seance magazine is your best bet.

However, if you are looking for more general bizarre magic, then Capricornian Tales is an absolute requirement. As with most bizarrist texts, you need to tailor the effects to your personality and possibly alter the methods to suit your performance situation. Be prepared to seek some unusual props that do not come from a magic store. Capricornian Tales is for the serious bizarrist who wants to work with "real" bizarre stuff, not "This here green silk represents a ...."
I just purchased one of those, waiting on it to arrive.

Rick
Just a word of warning here. Beware of ebay. I recently found someone offering counterfiet Black Artefacts products on ebay. They were described as 'New' and 'Original'. They were neither. I obtained the illegal copy from a customer of mine who was purchasing waht he thought was a genuine secondhand item. When he found out that it was a counterfiet he contacted me and I obtained the illegal item from him.

Ebay and PayPal (which is owned by ebay) just ignored me. I contacted the illegal seller direct and now all my items have been removed. I now keep my eye on ebay to check if any more of my stuff is being sold illegaly.

I'm not too happy with ebay.

Keith Hart
Thanks for letting me know about that, Keith. I checked the guy's raiting and it seemed pretty good...even contacted a couple of people that had purchased from him and they had good things to say, so I feel pretty good about this one.

Thanks for reminding me though; let the buyer beware!

Rick
I have this book, its not really my cup of sake, so if anyone in Uk wants to swap it for anything Mentalism related, let me know!