(Close Window)
Topic: Table Hopping Cups and Balls with Carl Andrews.
Hi, is this worth getting? It isn't very much, so that's not the problem, I just want to know how many good cups and balls slieghts it will teach, for those of you who have it, how much of it do you use? How valuble is the stuff in it? Please tell me what you think. Thatnk you. -Cory.
I do that routine. I like it.

Keep in mind that it is only a 2 cup routine, though you certainly can bring in the third cup after (I don't do the section with the sponge balls that Carl does).
Try the search function. This has been discussed before here at the Café'.
Ok, thanks.
If you want an excellent cups and balls video, I would strongly suggest Ammar's video on the subject. It will give you a great foundation for this classic effect.
I have this vid and like the routine, but I bought it to get "Ain't No Mo," his sponge ball routine, which is a lot of fun. One of these days I'll have to spend the time to learn it!
If you are looking for sleights: Michael Ammar.

Once you have the sleights down, a very good two-cup routine, better than Andrews (unless you want to move into the spongeballs) can be found in David Williamson´s "Sleight of Dave".

José.
Carl Andrews Ain't No Mo and Cups and Balls routines are both excellent and worthy of your study.
There a a good pair of routines. I love the fact that the final loads don't take that much space. When I am doing Close Up work, I use sponge loads as well.

Get it!
I too think that this is a great DVD for a nice 2 cup routine, a great spongeball routine.

It also has one of the most magical cups and balls moves that exists, in my opinion and I added it to my 3 cup routine right away.

Of course there are other offerings on the subject of cups and balls, but since you asked specifically about that DVD I will stop there.
[quote]
On 2005-11-19 02:54, elgranmago wrote:
If you are looking for sleights: Michael Ammar.

Once you have the sleights down, a very good two-cup routine, better than Andrews (unless you want to move into the spongeballs) can be found in David Williamson´s "Sleight of Dave".

José.
[/quote]

Agreed with Jose's comments.
"Table Hopping Cups and Balls" is definitely worth getting. It's a good commercial routine.
Andrews routine is clean, entertaining, and well thought out. There are lots of opportunities for audiance interaction. I like the routine a lot and reccomend it.

The only drawback, imhop, is that you do need realestate on the table to place the cups. This is often difficult to come by on a table where people are having dinner. For that reason I do not usually do it for table hopping. I do use it for other closeup shows where I have my own table. I have a mini chop-cup for walkaround. I can always place that on someones hand w/out difficulty.
I agree that this routine requires some table space and air space (for the striking vanish) and really is not THE best for table hopping. You can always force in some table space if you want to do the cups (I use Johnny Ace Palmer's 3 cup routine from his video series). That said, Carl's routine is an excellent table routine with some really magical sequences. I've used it occassionally in that environment.
Greetings and Salutations Frank,

Curse you for firing up my curiosity! ;) Can you describe the effect? And, if possible, where else I might find a reference to it should I choose to study it.

Thanks,

Joe in KC
I liked Williamson's routine instead of this one.
Carl does a very good job explaining his routine I just prefer williamson's to this one.

Check it out and compare them.
The Wonder two cup routine is also, in my opinion a much better routine.
Later,
Mobius
Carl performing his version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3OxFkxIUYs&feature=related
I like the Andrews video. Apart from the two video set from Ammar, I'd also recommend the Bob White video on Cups and Balls. Ditto Michael Vincent's video.

Fortasse
Not my preferred routine, but it's consistent and meets the need

I prefer three cups routines because I only have two hands and this difference in number opens many possibilities both in terms of effects and in terms of misdirection
Two cups rely mainly on sleights... except with Tommy Wonder who's bag is alternatively like a third cup or a large load
I like his routine. It seems obvious to me that any routine seen on a DVD should merely be an inspiration to create a routine of one's own. Given that, I would have liked to see a bit more material on the DVD, but the limited amount on the DVD was good.

KJ
The nice thing about this routine is that you can perform it without a jacket and it is quite angle proof.
Carl used sponge balls for the final load and used the same balls afterwards in his Ain't No Mo sponge ball routine.
The sponge ball routine is also taught on the DVD.
Andrews routine can also be studied on his book Magic From Maui. There are a lot of good points in this routine...surely the thing you can do it without the jacket as Sadhu said....but I also prefer other 2 cups routines....Williamson's one the best to me....
Funny I just stumbled across this post today. What I like about my table hopping cups and balls routine is:

The loads are easy to hide (I already had them on me anyway) so nothing to hide. No bulges.

Leads into a perfect follow-up routine "Ain't No Mo". Any professional will tell you there is not much stronger magic for laymen than a good sponge ball routine in their hands!

The routine flows, nicely with several cool magic moments and Instantly resets

Thanks for your interest,
Carl
Thanks for the reply Carl!
I took stuff from Don Alan's chop cup and combined it with Carl Andrews' Ain't No Mo and came up with what I believe is very nice one cup routine. You cant go wrong with Carl Andrews stuff. Very nice, very workable.

(If you are listening, Carl, thank you for sharing this.)
I like Carl's routine quite a bit.
Thanks Don and Frank and everyone else who purchased my "Table Hopping Cups and Balls". It has served me very well, still does :)