(Close Window)
Topic: Gum magic?
I was sitting here reading and chewing gum when I got an interesting idea, doing magic with gum. Any one have any ideas? I think it's a good concept. Hardly anyone carries a pack of cards or anything like that, and there are so many different varieties that no one will think you could do anything with it. Well, what do you think?
There are many gum effects in magic,

look around you may be impressed.

Matt
I believe Tom Mullica covers some gum effects in his Expert impromptu magic made easy series.

:bat:
There are two marketed effects that have been discussed at the Café, they are Sticky Situation by Andy Leviss, and Wrap It Up by Jay Sankey. I believe both involve chewing some gum and restoring it to an unchewed, wrapped state.

oblique
Yes, Andy Leviss's trick is pretty cool.
Basically you are chewing gum and you take it out, then you "magically" transform it back to a normal stick of gum. (unwrapped) Next you transform it to a wrapped piece of gum! Pretty easy to do trick.
Lifesavers- Mike Weber

Mike has two gum-chewing spectators. He makes their gum switch places.
I believe The "Art of Astonishment" series also has an effect in with gum.
[quote]
On 2002-11-10 22:47, Rodney Massey wrote:
Lifesavers- Mike Weber

Mike has two gum-chewing spectators. He makes their gum switch places.
[/quote]

Blah!
I hope they have the same taste. :huh:
Ultimate Impromptu Magic #1 by Dan Harlan has a very good gum trick by Aaron Fisher.

Alby
If they were the same flavour, how would you know they switched places? No, Mip, they are different flavours.
Rod
Mac King's "Tricks With Your Head" I believe has an effect where you spit your gum straight out and it circles around back to your mouth.

The same thing showed up in Magic Magazine within the last year in an article of the same name.
Sticky Situation is a great opener for any close up act, since you don't want to talk with gum in your mouth. :rolleyes:
This gum magic has interested me. I'm going to have to look into it more.
It's pretty easy to doctor up a wrapped stick of gum so that it has a different brand on each side (or flavor). For example, it's juicy-fruit on one side and doublemint on the other. Then you can do your favorite knife routine. You'd have to practice that paddle move, however. But the idea is sound.
Yah, ruben has a great point. You could take a bunch of gum tricks and make a routine. I also think Jim Pace has a gum trick but, I like the idea of a knife routine with some gum.
What's really coooool..... he he... if you could actually make a gum matrix... lol disgusting but coool... hey.. pick a gum. any gum. umm what else.. 3 fly with gum... or my favorite gum in lightbulb or bill in ABC Gum..I'm sure your audience will love you for letting them take the chewed gum out of your mouth, take a scalpel and try to find the signed 100 dollar bill lol
Look under "Little Darlings" --"Mouth Coils."
Someone talked about bubble gum mouth coils.
Well you could do chink-a-chink quite easily with 4 pieces of bubblicious. 2 in the hand, one in the pocket too. Or a transpo in the spectators hand. You could make a C/S gaff with 2 flavors of stick gum too.
Aaron Fisher has a few tricks with gum... (Elanor Wrigley is one, and Hey, Chewed is another.) They are published in his early lecture notes, and one was also published in an issue of the Minotaur.

Alpen
One rountine will be changing a cigarette in a stick of gum.

Another one will be changing a sugar gum into a sugarless gum.

Another one is to show Juicy Fruit both sides. Change it to Doublemint, next Big Red, etc.

I can't think of any more because it's too sticky. lol
Certain magic shops sell Bubble gum coils that have the look and almost same texture as hubba-bubba.
I use the "Bogus Bubble Gum Coils" in almost every show. They're really a great idea, and it's not the same old thing as the mouth coil. It gives you a reason to put (and have) something into your mouth. I completely agree with people who find the "eating a napkin" thing distasteful (no pun intended), especially for and with children.

Steve Thomas
This is a fun discussion!

I use sticky situation as an opener for my cigarette trick called OUTSMOKIN'. You can check it out at my site if you want.

The plot is that I am chewing gum. I apologize for my rudeness as I remove the gum from my mouth and look for a place. All the while I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking (Which explains the gum chewing). Then after I do the sticky situation trick. I go into the cigarette trick with a stop smoking theme.

I came up with another trick a few years ago that uses chewing gum. I came up with it when I was faced with the situation of doing magic for a blind person. So this trick (Called Smell Bound) was the result. What happens is I hand them two sticks of chewing gum, one in each hand. They're asked to smell them and guess what flavor they are. One is fruit (Juicy Fruit) the other is Cinnamon (Big red).
Without touching them I cause them to switch places. It does have a visual effect to it too because only the gum inside the wrappers changed. So at the end the juicy fruit one is opened and the stick of big red is found inside.

Ron Jaxon
I scoured my copy of Lifesavers last night and found no such routine about gum switching places.

Any other ideas which book this routine is in or where in the book it is hiding??

I'd love to read about it. It sounds quite funny.

Frank
Related to Gum Tricks Check out these products from Hocus Pocus Magic in Calif.

[url=http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/products_detail.cfm?item=3059][b]ABC Gumball Re-Combobulator by Wolf Magic[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/products_detail.cfm?item=2640][b]Bubble Gum Mouth Coils [/b][/url]

Both of these look like really great effects!
I will bet somebody that I will show them something they have never seen and never will see again. After the bet is set I pull out a piece of gum wrapper, open, show gum and stick it in my mouth. Need I say more?

AmazingBoz :bunny2:
I didn't think it was in Webers book. So where is it? It sounds interesting.
Years ago a me and a friend of mine came up with a trick that is done with chewing gum. We called it "Smell Bound." It was actually targeted to doing magic for blind people.

The basic effect is that a person would hold a stick of gum in each hand. They are asked to smell the flavors (remember it was for a blind person). One would smell of fruit (juicy fruit) and the other would smell like cinnamon (big red).
Then without touching them I'd make them switch hands. AS a bonus for the ones who can see. When they are opened the flavors are in the opposite wrappers too. It's a pretty fun quickie.

Ron Jaxon
There's a trick by David Kenney at Online-Visions.com called "chewed out" ,in the close-up section.
Gum to balloon.
Gum to elastic bands.
Growing wad of gum.
Gum to sponge.
Cut and restored strand of gum. Gag.
The wad jumps from one fingernail to another. Oldie.
[quote]
On 2003-01-15 09:17, Jaxon wrote:
I use sticky situation as an opener for my cigarette trick called OUTSMOKIN'. You can check it out at my site if you want.

The plot is that I am chewing gum. I apologize for my rudeness as I remove the gum from my mouth and look for a place. All the while I explain that I'm trying to quit smoking (Which explains the gum chewing). Then after I do the sticky situation trick. I go into the cigarette trick with a stop smoking theme.
[/quote]
Good one Ron.
There is a trick described in Genii August 1996 By Dan Harlan - Featuring Floyd Beatlebaum. It is an impromptu effect sawing a pack of gum in half and restoring it. Compares it to sawing a lady in half.
Sparks put out a paddle trick called Gum Machine using sticks of chewing gum. A search will bring it up at ELMS.
Harry Lorayne published the Great Stick of Gum Restoration Mystery in Afterthoughts many years ago. It was a Tim Wenk idea. I have not done it for years but it was a good trick for the right moment.
I think the best trick ever with gum is one by Tom Ladshaw. The only problem is that the gum is the modus operendi so if I tell you what the trick is I'll be roasted for exposing methods here.

Look for the Fechter's video with Tom on it or his lecture notes. It is worth the effort to find! :wow:
Sankey has released an effect called juicy fruit were the name of your spectators selected card is on the wrapper of your packet of juicy fruit gum instead of the words juicy fruit, Then they find they card folded inside. Although it's not Impromptu special wrappers and dupe I think laymen would find it quite entertaining.
Jay Snakey has an effect called "Wrap It Up" in 100% Sankey that's fun for the gum chewing crowd. You take the gum out of your mouth, wrap it in the wrapper, toss the package into the air and it changes into an unopened, unused piece of gum in the original wrapper.

Pretty easy to do, too!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Feb 2, 2005 10:09PM)
There's an old gag used as an ice breaker by some close-up workers:

You say you will turn a stick of gum into a piece of candy. You hold the gum over your close-up pad, then gracefully flip it onto the pad...where it just lays.

You look around, wordlessly, at the spectators for a moment, then say,

"What?!? Didn't you see the GUM DROP?!?"

Steve
I do this everytime I have gum in my mouth. Do a retension vanish with your mouth! You show the chewed up gum between your lips, pretend to take it out and suck it back in, now make it disseapear!!! I just swallow it (theres no harm in swallowing gum, its a myth mom's tell their kids) no one ever says "you swallowed it, cause in grown up land, you just don't do that, its great! Do it with candies too, after a meal at a restaurant! Its perfect. (for me)

Mac King has this in his book but he pretends to stick it on a person's shirt and freak them out, this is hilarious as well.
My favortie gum trick is called "Gummick Improved" by Lamont G. Ream. The effect is brilliant. A card is selected and placed on top of the deck. The performer presses down on the deck proving he can actually have the card penetrate through the deck. HE reaches under the table to obtain the card which was supposed to have penetrated through the table and finds he has chewed gum stuck to his finger. The performer then causes the wad of gum to go back in time to when it was a normal stick, then changes from a normal stick to a wraped stick of gum. Then it goes back to the card trick. The stick of gum now penetrates trough the table. The chosen card is discovered inside the foil wrapper where the stick of gum was a moment ago.
2 words STICKY SITUATION its such a great effect you can get it at elmwoodmagic.com and also wach a video demo
One of the Bill Severn books, "Magic Across the Table", contains a small section on magic with Gum. Just looking at it now, there are a few pretty good ones.
I saw an episode of the Virtual magician where he featured a bunch of magicians from New York. This one guy did a trick where he chewed a couple pieces of gum and stuck them to the bottom of his shoes. He then would lean forward at people and cars passing by like they do in the Michael Jackson "Smooth criminal" Video. I'm not sure how it's done or what the magician's name was but it's a cool idea for Gum magic.
Mike - do a search here for "the lean"
Sticky Situation

Always a surprise. Screams Impromptu.
I am a little frustrated...I love sticky situation, and did a review here about it...but the problem is the way the gum manufactureres have changed their packaging..at the end of the effect I like to switch the gimmicked stick for a real wrapped piece in my pocket...so I can hand it out.

Anyway, you USED to be able to get a gum in individual sticks (six to a pack )with the foil wrapper AND the outside paper wrapper. But lately, I have been batting ZERO in finding these sticks! Every brand I buy has gum that has the FOIL wraper, but they no longer bother to cover the foil with the paper wrapper. At least, I haven't been able to find it!
Am I just looking in the wrong places, or has anyone else been able to find the gum sticks with the paper wrapper as of late?
Eureka! Success at last! I found that if I get gum from the vending machines, it has the inner wrapper. Beats me why they don't do it otherwise, though.
Sticky situation is a great opening eyecatching effect for restaurants
I should qualify by saying casual restaurants, not elegant dining rooms
I have a quick trick that is a color changing/Flavor changing pack of gum, which can also be adapted to any color changing knives routine.
[quote]
On 2002-11-09 19:02, Ichazod wrote:
I believe Tom Mullica covers some gum effects in his Expert impromptu magic made easy series.

[/quote]

Anybody know where one can find that infinitely stretchy "bubble gum" that Tom Mullica has used in his act? It's not the same as the bubble gum coils that I've seen. Rather, Tom's stuff really stretches (or at least appears to stretch) to hilariously long lengths.
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 16:05, marknem7 wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-11-09 19:02, Ichazod wrote:

[/quote]

Anybody know where one can find that infinitely stretchy "bubble gum" that Tom Mullica has used in his act? It's not the same as the bubble gum coils that I've seen. Rather, Tom's stuff really stretches (or at least appears to stretch) to hilariously long lengths.
[/quote]
Hmm, he wouldn't happen to be using Silly Putty, by any chance?
Pink Silly Putty can be substituted as 'Already Been Chewed' if that stimulates your grey matter at all...

johnny
One of my fave gum magic is Richard Sander's Sugerless Bill. A borrowed bill vanishes and then reappears inside an unopened, sealed package of gum. It floors people everytime! :) This is not an impromptu effect as some prep is required.
I've got an old video of Homer Liwag performing a sequence with chewing gum. It starts with the "mouth retention vanish" and goes into a repeated thimble-type vanish and then closes with him stretching the gum out from his mouth and doing a "rigid rope" type effect. It's cool because of its informality.

MK
Tom Mullica's book Showtime at the Tomfoolerey has a great bubble gum effect, but hard to perform if you are not him. He just makes everything so personable to himself, which is actually great. I would read it and try to adapt it on my own.
Tommypockets, you're right about Mullica making everything so "Mullica." There's only one Tom! (I just feel bad for him that all his years of developing and perfecting his astonishing cigarette-eating routine have been undermined by society (rightfully) frowning on cigarettes.)

Does his book that you mentioned describe the actual material he uses for his bubble gum routine?
Marknem7, Showtime at Tom-Foolery has not only the actual material, but details of every move, joke, mannerism, subtlety of his entire act, not just the Gum Gozinta Balloon. If you can get your hands on a copy it is a great read to not only learn the routines but to see a master structure routines to fit himself, and his personality. I also agree about his cigarette act, Mullica has many cigarette routines that could become obsolete, and it is a real shame. That is coming from a non smoker.

Tom Fusillo
Hocus Pocus is now selling two dvd's on gum magic.
[quote]
On 2005-12-13 21:09, Corey Harris wrote:
I have a quick trick that is a color changing/Flavor changing pack of gum, which can also be adapted to any color changing knives routine.
[/quote]

Yes, and since you're not here to say it, it's published in the Linking Ring, the issue with the Ring 129 Parade. I don't remember the date off the top of my head though.
Another great reason to check out Richard Sanders Sugarless Bill is that you don't have to use a bill at all. A previously selected card, with the corner torn, can work just as well. You just have to experiment with the right pack of gum.
Thanks for that Jonathan, that's a great suggestion. Will look into that right now.
I just ordered Wrap It Up.