(Close Window)
Topic: Mate in one chess trick
Does anyone if the Mate In One Problem (Corinda's 13 Steps, p. 70) is still valid today? Have the rules been updated since the 60's when this was written to make this unworkable nowadays?

Scott.
It's still valid.
It's not valid. You may no longer promote a pawn to a piece of your opponent's color.
This is the wonderful thing about forums. Everyone thinks they have a worthwhile opinion and you end up with no advance on original questions/thoughts.
I'm pretty sure this rule has been updated. [url=http://gameknot.com/fmsg/chess/2176.shtml]These guys[/url] say it would only be allowed under the "old rules". I remember reading a similar discussion elsewhere.
FIDE Laws of Chess section 3.7(e):

When a pawn reaches the rank furthest from its starting position it must be exchanged as part of the same move for a new queen, rook, bishop or knight of the same colour. The player`s choice is not restricted to pieces that have been captured previously. This exchange of a pawn for another piece is called `promotion` and the effect of the new piece is immediate.

Reference: http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101
Sounds to me as if a sourse has been cited!
I don't understand this thread. I'll start by saying that I do not represent myself as being an expert on the chess rules, but the question is: why, under any set of rules, would you have ever want to/be able to change your pawn (on reaching the last row) for A NEW PIECE OF YOUR OPPONENT'S COLOR. That doesn't make sense to me.

Gianni
You have appearantly not seen the problem in question.
You should take a look and apply you chess wit.
It reminds me of a problem, White to Move and Mate in less than one move. In this problem every king move created a discovered check but also blocked another line, allowing the king to escape. (One example, White has rooks on g7 and h8 and king on e8...black king is on a8.)

The solution: Pick up the king and don't put it back down...the position is mate, in less than one move.

Again, not according to FIDE, but you can't believe everything you read.
Gianni you have to play chess I guess...to understand...then read the problem.... these things would help
My mistake.
I read Corinda's effect a while ago and either misread it or just plain forgot it was a different color.
Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Thanks Curt.
[quote]
On 2005-11-20 17:24, EscapeMaster wrote:
This is the wonderful thing about forums. Everyone thinks they have a worthwhile opinion and you end up with no advance on original questions/thoughts.
[/quote]

Unless I've picked you up wrong, I think the exact opposite is true. That rather, worthwhile opinions as they are,through forums these same opinions get poked, prodded and questioned and we end up with massive advances on original questions and thoughts.

Bobser.
Apologies for being so curt.

Jaz you're a gent. Please forgive me.
Corinda's piece begins with the words "Many years ago..." and quite clearly refers to the laws of chess "at the time".

Barry