(Close Window)
Topic: Making a street Table top
1= get your self an old but clean picture frame. (Ideal no glass just a board)
2= Get good fabric. (Crushed velvet)
3= One piece of thin ply-wood cut to the length of the out side of frame.
4= Camping mat will do the trick.
5= Tack nails (UK Term) wood glue and a staple gun.

Clean up frame, I think simple design is best sand and re-varnish if you need to.
Glue matt to ply-wood now cut matt so the wood is bigger than the matt by about half an inch. Stretch fabric over the underside of frame then staple it around.
Now a bit of glue and tack the ply wood into place.
If I have explained my self you should now have a nice table top.

I first made these up when I used to sell jewels on the streets as a pitchman before I even considered street performing.

Mario
PS still consider buying a table top there is some great stuff out there. This is great for making them on the road. I have a few around the globe now that I will use if I go back or will end up in a museam if I don't.
When I have been caught out I have put these together berets of materials but you would not know to look at it because of the frame.

PPS I have made these to order as well you give me the approximant size and I will make you one.
$150, Postage not included
There is one thing I have learned.
You give something away, no one says a word.
You charge the world for it and youíre a god. (Notice the small g)
Maybe you just donít see a good thing when it is shown to you.
Maybe if you donít part with cash you think there is a catch.
When someone shows you a trade secret, you thank them.
You donít just take the trade secret.
Donít let rivalry blind you.
There are a good folk come on hear you know who you are,
Bill Palmer, Danny Hustler, Kondini, Just to name a few.
There is a lot that are just full of one self.
This is a trade secret that I learned while living on a beach in the Middle East.
IT DESERVES its OWN THREAD.

Moderator if you want to remove this then please remove the whole post.

Maybe I am old country, where it is polite to open a door for the lady, put the toylet seat down, don't talk with your mouth full, be italian show some respect.
Great idea with the picture frame I am off to the swap shops to find a good one today. I don't get the second post.

hope life finds you well
Thanks for the great advice Mario - appreciate your generosity.

Keep warm.
Thanks
After 97 veiws you have managed to warm me up.
It does not tack much but it does go a long way.
This I do vow, from now on I will be as honest as I can be.
Mario
Nice tanle on the art of streets part 3?
Sorry but what do you mean?
Mario
[quote]
On 2005-11-25 18:57, tedb wrote:
Nice tanle on the art of streets part 3?
[/quote]

My guess at the translation is:

Check out the nice table on "The Art of Street Magic - Volume 3".
It's pretty cool. And for that matter, so is the DVD. If you don't
have it, I urge you to acquire it.

Anyway, that's my guess.
Thanks Frank
LOL
Mario
Nice table idea, that's my weekend gone..

A.R.
Mario,

Great stuff! I know I made one and the thing just looks great. My old table top looked like I made it out of junk that fell off a lumber truck as it rounded a corner. :)

Best,

Dan-
I saw something very interesting on TV. It was on the cooking show "Good Eats".
I don't remember the episode but they chef on the show always has some sort of "skit" to go along with the show and at the beginning of this particular episode he was a busker/sideshow guy.

His table was an opened up trunk standing on end with a tabletop on it, a la Cellini.

I wondered how they could have gotten that idea for the show.
I don't remember how the table looked but the trunk looked excellent.
Frank
Thoes old victorian cases are exerlent for Pitchman stand, my qwestion would be where did Cellini get it from?
Mario
Making the top was never my problem. My wife even made a nice servante for my cover. I used quilt batting for the filler for the cloth. My wife basically made a very shallow pillow case the same size as my table top. She stuffed that with the batting. It's wonderful, not too thick and still gives me that 'sponginess' that I need for a good Matrix.

The legs gave me fits though until Mr. Ammar told me how simple it was. I went to my hardware store and bought a little plate that goes under tables. It has four screws that attach to the bottom of the table and in the center is a threaded hole for a machine screw.

In the same section I found a screw that is a wood screw on one end and a machine screw on the other.

Now buy four dowels and drill a hole in the middle of each. Then screw the wood screw inside.

My problem was that there was too much machine screw remaining. I tried drilling the hole deeper into my dowels but even at the full length of my bit there was too much.

So, using the waste from sawing the dowels to the size that I wanted I made wood spacers. I drilled a hole in the middle of the dowel that was very wide. Then cut a small disk of wood to precisely the size that I want. I glued it to the top of the leg and left only about a quarter inch of the machine screw protruding.

Now I have a very nice table for about $25
Hey Mario, thanks for the neat description.

What about the legs?

What cheap/practical way to come up with support for the tabletop?

Thanks man.
Latig0,

You could head to your nearest music store and buy a keyboard stand. Usually around $40.00 here in the U.S.

-Nate
Hey Mario,

Is the the same one you showed me in Vegas during your busking school?
[quote]
On 2005-11-24 10:36, Mario Morris wrote:
1= get your self an old but clean picture frame. (Ideal no glass just a board)

[/quote]

...how big a frame? I'm gonna look at the "poster" frames here at Wally World and maybe get rid of the tv tray I'd been using.

I don't know what "camping matt" is. But wouldn't it be easier to cut the matt an inch smaller than the plywood then glue it centered in place so there's a half an inch around?

I'm also assuming the matt/plywood combination take the place of the actual frame backing, and that the "crushed velvet" fabric is centered through the frame.

(And wouldn't you know, my Wal*Mart stopped selling fabric three months ago. :rolleyes:)

There's also a place here in Providence where I can get an aluminum waiter's tray.

Thanks for the thoughts. Sorry no one answered you right away.
Instead of a picture frame I used a corkboard. you know the boards you use to pin up notes and stuff. Also for a base you can pick up a folding camping table at your local walmart for about 20 USD. Just secure your top with velcro.
I buy the velvet fabric at Hobby Lobby. I cut it a lot longer than the plywood, however. An old wood picture frame is the best. I cut the wood about an 1/8th of an inch shorter than the frame to allow the material to "snap" into place. I also got a great idea from Keith Fields on attaching a wood brace on the underside that is cut to the exact inside length of a trey stand. It holds the top in place very securely. The next one I make I'm going to do that. I also "pad" mine with some thin upholstery foam.

Sir Richard.
I would have commented, but I haven't been on here for a while. But you had recommended exactly what I had already done. So maybe I would have just nodded, and moved along...

Now others have also commented I will too. I think it is a great idea. Why wouldn't I. I have been using mine for about three years.

My top frame is a nice black lacquer look, I had looked at several second hand shops for the right frame, and ended up buying it at discount department store. The frame sits about 1/2 inch about the surface black outdoor carpet I used, and it works great for cups and balls. Nothing, not even oranges roll off the table top. The back of the top is painted with the word MAGIC.

My top sits on a Keyboard stand that has rubber on the legs where the top sits.

The Doctor
Great stuff
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 14:59, Bobert wrote:
Instead of a picture frame I used a corkboard. you know the boards you use to pin up notes and stuff. Also for a base you can pick up a folding camping table at your local walmart for about 20 USD. Just secure your top with velcro.
[/quote]

The folding tables I've seen at Wally World at short, meant to be set up next to a folding chair.
The one I have is perhaps just a little short but not bad for me. It could also depend on what our different walmarts stock. probably a regional thing
Hey there!

First time I've read this. I haven't been on in a while.

I love the idea of using the picture frame! Miter saws and me just don't get along!

Thanks for sharing Mario. I apprecieated it!
Hey there!

First time I've read this. I haven't been on in a while.

I love the idea of using the picture frame! Miter saws and me just don't get along!

Thanks for sharing Mario. I apprecieated it!
Sharp cutting equipment and me don't get along at ALL!
What is the shortest a table can be to fit on your key board stand? I have materials for making a table top around the house and I don't want to make one that's too short, but I don't want a large table either.
Chopingboard,

Your question is not an easy one to answer. Your table needs to be built to suit you. For example, my table is on a the third adjustment notch of my keyboard stand. This puts my table at about waist high which is comfortable for me. If you head to your local music store, tape measure in hand, and check out the keyboard stands you may get a general idea of what will be best for you.

Kind regards,
Nate
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/chopingboard/2011-04-11194818.jpg

I just made it. I used cotton velour instead of crushed velvet. The top is more of a teal in person. I think I'm gonna hit the streets for my first timeprobably next week. I'm super excited and nervous.
Chopingboard,

Alright, you cranked out a table top! Please post on how things go once you get out there.

Regards,
Nate
Thank you for all the tips....I need another one :)

Everywhere I want to work is on a slope! Any suggestions for adjustable legs to add to the table top?

thanks,

Danny
Danny,

You could make a table similar to the pdf instructions that Michael Ammar offers on his website. I made one like this and it seems to work better for sloped areas as it only has three legs. For $8.95 you can't go wrong! http://store.ammarmagic.com/ammar-performance-table-instructions1.html

-Nate
[quote]
On 2011-04-12 19:02, Nate Green wrote:
Danny,

You could make a table similar to the pdf instructions that Michael Ammar offers on his website. I made one like this and it seems to work better for sloped areas as it only has three legs. For $8.95 you can't go wrong! http://store.ammarmagic.com/ammar-performance-table-instructions1.html

-Nate
[/quote]

Oh no. I don't think so. That's asking for WAY more carpentry skills than I have.

Incidently, Is there any reason why I should use a piece of plywood rather than just attach the padding/fabric directly to the original backing the frame will come with?
Hello Ed,

Even though we have not met, I am willing to bet that you could tackle making the Ammar table! :)

The plywood will help in that you will have a more rigid surface to perform cups and balls etc. on. Attaching the fabric to the backing of the picture frame makes me think that the center of your "table" would be a bit flimsy. Furthermore, plywood gives you a better surface for attaching table legs.

-Nate
I recently made a table from a picture frame. Searching Home Depot to come up with a way to hold the table top against the inside of the frame fame, I came up with aluminum angles. They're 1/8 of an inch thick, and, of course, weight next to nothing. Using self tapping screws, I fixed one side of the angle to the frame, and relied on the pressure from the other side of the angle and the lip of the frame to hold the top in place.
I made the table 16x24 because at 24" I can open my keyboard stand, have it press against the bottom of my table frame, and it is just the right height for me.
[quote]
On 2011-04-13 06:19, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]
Danny,

-Nate
[/quote]

Oh no. I don't think so. That's asking for WAY more carpentry skills than I have.

Incidently, Is there any reason why I should use a piece of plywood rather than just attach the padding/fabric directly to the original backing the frame will come with?
[/quote]

I made my table without having to cut wood. The glass I had on my frame was a thick acrylic and it adds good weight to the table. If you can get a frame with acrylic instead of glass, you can just put some cotton batting and crushed velvet or cotton velour on top. A frame should hold the fabric in place so it doesn't slip.no nails
[quote]
Danny,

-Nate
[/quote]

Thanks Nate,

I am looking forward to building it already!

May God shower blessings on you and your table :)

Danny
Ed, you can have most any hardware or lumber store make all of your cuts for you. Home Depot or Lowe's will do it. It may take some time to get it done so don't be in a hurry. After that a few nails and some glue, if you have ever used scissors, paper and glue I bet you could build a lot more that you realize. The cuts are the hard part. When I was on the road and didn't have my tools I used this service often and built some amazing things.

Having a plan, like Ammar's pdf, makes life so much easier than having to figure it all out on your own. It's like building a model once the cuts are made and the plan tells you what to have cut.

Thanks for sharing his table Nate.
We have a betting pool in the house; "How long before Dad puts something in the project upside down and when will he relize it?"
Getting leggy in the UK is an interesting one. The Ammar table requires "Angle Top Plates" (Waddell) which are angled machined plates which can have table legs screwed into them.....sadly they don't seem to exist in the UK (or they may be called something else).

I am thinking of using metal sockets for towel rail and just sticking the legs in these, and using a camera monopod for the third leg to get round the working on a hill problem. If I do this however then the legs will not be angled and I wonder how important this is.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Danny
[quote]
On 2011-04-13 14:47, Rotten wrote:
Ed, you can have most any hardware or lumber store make all of your cuts for you. Home Depot or Lowe's will do it. It may take some time to get it done so don't be in a hurry. After that a few nails and some glue, if you have ever used scissors, paper and glue I bet you could build a lot more that you realize. The cuts are the hard part. When I was on the road and didn't have my tools I used this service often and built some amazing things.

Having a plan, like Ammar's pdf, makes life so much easier than having to figure it all out on your own. It's like building a model once the cuts are made and the plan tells you what to have cut.

Thanks for sharing his table Nate.
[/quote]

I went to Home Depot. They would make cuts, but only horizontally. No 45 degree cuts.

I think you seriously underestimate my ability to really screw things up with wood and glue. I did just have a friend cut me some plywood and 1X2s that he had lying around and I was able to nail them together into a workable table top (+ three shelves) for my Dragon Nite Club table. (I've had that thing for years. I lost the table top and shelves through a series of circumstances that I won't go into here because I'll start crying.) I was even able to drill holes in one of the shelves to fit the nails from the frame into. But I was stunned that it worked and I'm not certain I want to try it on a regular basis.
Ed,

Glad to hear that you put something together. I hope that it works for you.

-Nate
It's good. It doesn't have mitered edges, not that that matters because I didn't actually measure or cut the wood. I measured the dimensions of my Dragon Nite Club table frame and made a (apparently pretty good) guess on what the 1X2's would have to be as well as the top of the table and the three shelves. I didn't screw up driving the nails to put the 2X4s together, and I didn't screw up drilling the holes for the bracing on the bottom shelf. But that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Anyone able to identify this table. Simple but clever folding method.
Here it is unfolded. No table top found. Initials T.W. in the logo.
That's very similar to my nite club table with a different design. I think my table also overlaps as opposed to this one which seems to meet in the middle. (Which would make it easier to carry.)
Nite club table is definitely what it appears to be. Kind of a sparkle vinyl cover.
I remember seeing that decoration (the shield and the diagonal design) on a drawing for a table in an old Tannen's catalog.

Can't seem to find it now though.
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 11:24, solrak29 wrote:
Hey Mario,

Is the the same one you showed me in Vegas during your busking school?
[/quote]

Hay Pal
Just noticed your qwestion and the answer is no, that was a lot simpler one with out the frame.
I now use table top with out frames for my take on the Cups and Balls, which reqwiers me to have a table without boarders.

Mario
Hey Mario Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I was able to work on making real professional table. Luckily I was able to borrow tools from a friend who makes armor for medieval re-enactments and everyone in the shop wanted to help with my table. I don't know what ya'll think but I think it's a very sexy table.
Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63704900@N02/5800655190/in/photostream

hopefully the link works correctly.

-Bobert
That's a good job well done. I have shown a quite a few folks now hands on how to make these tables tops.
For those of us looking to make this type of table and don't have picture frames lying around, do forget to look in places like good will. I was at one yesterday (Picked up a suitcase I plan on making into a table for my kids show, and found a whole lot of different size frames for like a few buck.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the wonderful thread
instead of trying to sell us an
overpriced table guy.
I know Wally World has 16X20 frames for about $8.00 or $9.00. If I get the bonus for second place fund raising for Children's Miracle Network, I might pick that up.
I just put one of these together because my tiny portable table hasn't been cutting it lately. Sick of bending over to pick up balls that have rolled off.

Also, If you're using a waiters tray stand, use velcro to attach the table top to the stand. Keeps the top from wobbling and blowing around, and comes apart easily. I got some sticky-backed velcro and stuck it to mine, then stapled the velcro on so it wouldn't peel off.
Ed also check out any good will shops. I have seen the size you mentioned for 5 dollars and less.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2011, The Cardfather wrote:
Here it is unfolded. No table top found. Initials T.W. in the logo. [/quote]

Looks a little like the table that TOWN HOUSE put out in the early '50s. (TOWN HOUSE: Bev Taylor & Don Lawton -- St. Louis, MO.) I had one in the '50s. TW might be TOMMY WINDSOR (Marietta, Ohio) old pro. who wrote a column in TOPS.