(Close Window)
Topic: Small Group object lessons
Anybody use magic for object lessons in their small group, Bible study, or Adult Sunday school?
I use it for my youth group...never for adults. I might have to try though
No reason why it wouldn't work for adults, if you keep the message relavent, and primary with the effect secondary or reinforcing the message.

BroDavid
I used to do it alot, although I haven't been doing it as much. I guess I am working on too many paid shows...
If I think a trick I have will fit in the lesson, I will do it.
-Tyler
Absolutely! magic is a great way to present some themes from the Bible, which otherwise are hard to grasp.
Magic can be used in a way to make your small group look at something in a fresh light.
I use it as an object lesson for the AWANA program I am in, age 10 and 11.
You can raise the bar on many childen's object lessons to get a message across to adults. Of course if there are only "church" members, you are preaching to the choir. Any Sin Salvation theme could be applied to say Secular World View and Biblical View of the world. We might want to develop some themes around the culture war to make church members aware of the battle.
Okay, I guess what I am really asking is not if but effects do you use for objects lessons?
I usually work with Childrens Church Groups, but I think that it should work well for adults.

Just remember to don't make it a complicated trick, and keep it brief, as most adults lack concentration, and have short attention spans. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Steve :baby:
Sorry Bardin,
Couldn't help myself.

I believe a good trick can be adapted to any age group. You would just have to think it out, and change the way you put the message across.

You can't talk to little kids the same way you do adults. I'll oversimplify a bit, I obviously wouldn't talk about obeying mommy to Adults. But I could adapt the patter for the same trick, to talk about Obeying God.

As always, "You Play the Audience".

So in case all that seems indiscernable, use what you've got/what you know. (The old "Do whats You") Make it fit what you are trying to get across, or... if you have a topic in mind, find a trick that fits it, and run with it.

After reading this, it seems a little cliche, and generic, but hope it helps.
Steve