(Close Window)
Topic: Can you recommend a GPS system?
I am in the process of researching different GPS units for my travels.

I have read reviews on the tomtom, the Cobra Nav One, etc.

I will only be using it for vehicle use. I'll be using it in more than one vehicle, and would like the following:

--ease of use (of course)

--good POI database with phone numbers. This way I can look for hotels in a vicinity and be able to call from the car. I would also like to be able to search for a business by name (not just category), such as Starbucks, Panera, etc.

If I found a POI that I wanted to go to, I would like to then just hit a button and have the GPS route me there.

If anyone has a unit they would or would not recommend, I would love your feedback.

Thanks,

Tim
Ok, I got one and love it.

Garmin Street Pilot 2720.

Helped me get to my show tonight....highly recommended.
Was it an impulse buy?

Google "waypoint collection" for some good sets of worldwide waypoints. There are some excellent hikes available.
I got one and I am deeply in love with it! I have an RTI system in my XC90 which has a monitor that pops up from the dash but I also have one in my mobile phone which is VERY handy as it needs just the GPS "block" in addition to the phone and I can carry that with me.
Garmin in my car has saved me... changing local chips is great... have used it in the deep south, the north east and home (L.A.) with great success. Take it with me and use in rental cars.
No, it was an not impulse buy.

As I've been using it, I have found that it is providing many benefits beyond what I even expected.

Maybe it's a toy, but it is an extremely awesome use of technology, and if you drive much to unknown places...it's very useful.
How do you input the address you want? If I have to go to 8 appointments in one day, is it a pain to input all the address? I was thinking just today about getting one, but havent researched it as of yet.
It depends on what your appointments are. If it's a residence, then you would put the address in manually. (still, very easy)

Most of my destination points have been schools, churches, and various things like restaurants or shopping, etc. They've all been in there.

Best thing to do is to go somewhere like Circuit City and play around with the different units. That's how I made my decision. Some of them didn't have the features that I wanted, and some were just not user friendly enough.

I did some research, and saved a lot of money by purchasing at Tiger Direct Outlet Store.
You was a bit slow on that one mate.
I only asked as your first post - Jan 6, 2006 2:00pm asked for advice. Then your second post - Jan 8, 2006 12:13am says that you bought one. And noone had replied too your initial post.

That sounds impulsive too me. ;)

(btw, I have been using GPS for 6 years, it is not a toy)
Okay, you got me!

The best humor always seems to come from the UK.

After all, it took us a year or two to adapt "The Office"!