(Close Window)
Topic: Alex Elmsley has died
I am sorry to have to report, via the Genii Forum and an e-mail that Alex Elmsley passed away on Sunday.

A true genius who will be sorely missed.

Best wishes

Peter
:(
....*rest in peace to Alex Elmsley*
Did he pass away peacefully at least?.
He may have passed on, but may his legacy live on and on...
Oh my God, Magic has indeed lost a legend. My condolences go out to his family. He will be always remembered as a true innovator and inventor and his contributions to the Magic Fraternity will live on. Another chapter has ended...may he rest in peace. :( :cry:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
May he Rest In Peace
But his magic will still go on and on....
I heard he passed from a heart attack. :/

RIP.
What terrible news! There should be a condolences page here in the Café with a 'sticky' on it!

Mr. Elmsley was my initial inspiration and I think it's fair to say that, with most magicians, never a day goes by without thinking of him in one way or another.

May he rest in peace and heartfelt sympathy to his nearest and dearest.

I love the Elmsley count.....thanks, Alex...
It would appear that the count has ended. Mr. Elmsley will be sorely missed. He was a great influence over my magic, and quite the gentleman. My condolences to his family.
A wonderful man who I had the pleasure to meet last year. He has contributed an enormous wealth of brilliant thinking to our field and will be remembered.

Bye Alex.
My condolences to the family, may his soul rest in peace!

Paolo Venturini
I think a broadcast message would be good. I remember a short time ago when Mr. Dean Dill had an accident there was also a message. and Mr. Alex Elmsley has given so much to magic, he will remain as long as the art of magic exists. May he rest in peace.

Jah
A sad day for the rest of us.

It is a comfort to realize how much of his spirit remains with us, represented in his body of work. A nice motivating thought to work all the harder to achieve what he did, and to be able to have our work live on after we do.
Message: Posted by: Canvey Card Sharp (Jan 10, 2006 09:26AM)
Joe Riding, Jack Avis, Peter Kane, Bob Read and now Alex Elmsley.

Yet another truly great British Magical Legend passes over. The guy's innovations were simply years ahead of his time.

R.I.P.
Alex Elmsey was a genius and his creations will continue to live on in the hearts of magicians everywhere. He has been an insipartion to me of what I want my magic to look like. I also admire him for taking care of his mother the way he did. Rest In Peace Mr. Elmsley

Joe Rindfleisch
Alex Elmsley.... Rest in peace mate...

thanks for all the great moves and magic you gave to us..!
Thanks for the inspiration, thanks for your thoughtfulness, thanks for everything. Rest in Peace.
Thanks for everything that you have contributed. Your magic will live on in us.

RIP
Rest in peace Alex and have a nice journey. You'll surely be remembered by generations to come.

Pablo
byebye
I had the pleasure of spending the evening with Alex a short time ago.
He was the perfect image of an English gentleman.
I am just so glad I had the chance to meet him.
His magic will live on forever.
Rest in peace, and thanks for everything!
His name will live on throughout the history of magic... :(
A sad loss.
I'm devastated.
I will miss him dearly.
His was the friendliest and kindest soul I ever had the pleasure to meet.
We met once at El Duco's Magic Weekend here in Sweden.
We sat for hours and talked. Well, he did most of the talking, I was mostly listening, absorbing every word he said.
A meeting I always will carry with me.
Rest well Alex.
[quote]
On 2006-01-10 12:49, RichHead wrote:
He was the perfect image of an English gentleman.
[/quote]

He was that. Thing was, however, he was Scottish. He was born in St. Andrews in the Kingdom of Fife on the east of Scotland. I was on my way home from work today when I remembered a funny story (well, I still smile about it!).

I was in Kirkcaldy in Fife for the Scottish Association of Magical Societies convention that was taking place over a weekend. I had heard different stories about Mr. Elmsley, including a few of his eccentricities (not exactly the right word, but my brain can't come up with anything better!). A few days before going to the convention, I was in Roy Walton's shop in Glasgow and he told me that "Alex might be coming up for a few days." Well, as I packed, I remembered what Roy had told me and duly packed the 2 massive L&L "Complete Works" books. They made my bag amazingly heavy (this was in the days before I had trolley cases!) but I made it through to Kirkcaldy. But there was no sign of Mr. Elmsley on that Friday.

Saturday came, and through the day I attended the events I wanted to see while all the while watching the door and hoping that Mr. Elmsley would walk into the room. Still nothing. I got ready to go to the Gala Show on the Saturday evening, only really wanting to see one act on the bill. As I made my way towards the theatre, I passed an old gentleman walking along the street carrying 2 hold-alls - one in either hand. The face looked strangely familiar, though I knew I didn't know the man from Adam. A few moments later, as I stood across the street from the theatre, it hit me like a baseball bat -- carpet slippers!!! I had heard that Mr. Elmsley wore carpet slippers pretty much all the time - even when outdoors - and the old man that I passed in the street was wearing carpet slippers! I had walked right past one of my magical idols! D'OH!!!

I could hardly sit still in the theatre and luckily for me, the act I wanted to see was closing the first half of the show. When they finished, I left the theatre and went back to the hotel so fast, my feet hardly touched the ground! When I arrived, sitting there in the bar of the hotel chatting with some of my friends was Alex Elmsley. I was introduced to Mr. Elmsley and will forever cherish the few occasions I had to sit and talk with a true genius. I cherish my signed "Collected Works" books all the more now that he is no longer with us.

That last sentence isn't strictly true as Mr. Elmsley will always be with us - through his books, his videos and DVDs and through his remarkable magic. He will never be forgotten.

Rest in peace, Mr. Elmsley, and thank you for everything.

Peter
May he rest in peace.
All the best to his family and friends.

Simon
That is very sad news.

I never had the chance to see him in person.

I want to say thank you as well to Alex for all he has done for the magic world. I know he will be sadly missed.
This is sad news...his contributions to magic will be never forgotten.

How does that saying go, "Remember them as in life not as in death". He did leave behind his works (Tahoe Sessions/Collected Works of Alex Elmsley), and gave us a chance to learn from his life's work. A purchase and close study of his work could certainly be a showing of respect.
My sincere condolences.
And Dennis Marks, TV producer in NY, writer of Batman TV serials and other things, fine magician and dear pal, died this morning... :(
Rest in peace Alex. Your magic will live forever. :(
Rest In Peace Alex. You will be remembered forever, as you were one of our very best. Thank you for your ideas.
You're in a better place now. I'll miss you.
With respect,

Michael
Wow, that is all I can say... I saw this thread and I was hoping it was a mistake. Sadly it is not. A man who has given so much to magic has been lost although his magic will be with me forever. One of the best cardicians ever, I wish his family the best of luck. :bawl:
As I can't express my thought on Mr. Elmsley's passing in my English, I wrote it in my native language (Japanese), but it appeared in crazy letters here. So I edited it. Memory of Mr. Elmsley's lecture in Tokyo is still vividly in my mind. I don't know appropriate words in English, but I thank him for his heritage left to us.

Hideo Kato
The magic fraternity has lost one of its greats, he will be missed by all of us but will live forever through his work.
Thank goodness L&L Publishing made The Tahoe Sessions videos. Future generations will be able to see a true genius of the art of magic.
May I pay my respects to one of the best and my condolences to the family.
He will be missed by those who knew him and by those who didn't. He will rest in peace.

-Cameron Fisk
This is a very sad news! :(

May he rests in peace and thanks for everything.

A sad loss! :(

Andrew
A sad day in magic. for both Alex Elmsley and for Dennis Marks
What a sad day for all of us. This is devestating news. Alex Elmsley was truly a legend in our art. He may be gone, but his contributions to our art will live on forever. In fact, I can honestly say that the Elmsley (Ghost) Count was one of the very first sleights I ever learned. May he rest in peace.

Godspeed!

Scott Kahn, MD
How old was he when he passed? It is always a sad day in this thing of ours when one of the greats Pass on to there next adventure. His name, creations, and methods will go on for ever as long as there are those out there who perform his material. Rest in Peace Brother, and may your next journey be [b]another[/b] great one. :angel:
Thanks for your time Alex...I'll miss you mate.
He will be missed. He was one of the great thinkers of magic and his count will always remind me of him.

Rest in Peace

Craig
We will all keep you alive Alex, with your special moves. Most of all the Elmsley Count.

Peace, Love and Soul.
Wow, just wow.
[quote]
On 2006-01-11 12:20, Scott Kahn wrote:
What a sad day for all of us. This is devestating news. Alex Elmsley was truly a legend in our art. He may be gone, but his contributions to our art will live on forever. In fact, I can honestly say that the Elmsley (Ghost) Count was one of the very first sleights I ever learned. May he rest in peace.

Godspeed!

Scott Kahn, MD
[/quote]

The only thing that I can add to this is "DITTO".

Thank you Alex for your inspiration to me and many others.
edh
[quote]
On 2006-01-10 17:42, Pete Biro wrote:
And Dennis Marks, TV producer in NY, writer of Batman TV serials and other things, fine magician and dear pal, died this morning... :(
[/quote]

Is this the Dennis Marks who marketed the Invisible Eye?

Gianni
That is sad news indeed, another cornerstone passed on. Alex Elmsley, an innovator, has secured his place in the history of the art, having left us with one of the most powerful tools we now use, The Elmsley Count. Godspeed Mr. Elmsley and thank you.

My condolences to the Elmsley family. Rest In Peace.
RIP Mr Elmsley.

Regan
An enormous loss to the world.

May he rest in piece.
A true inspiration, and a gigantic contributor to the magoc world. A Sad loss, just glad he had a full life.
Nick
My thoughts to his famly, rest in peace brother
One of the first "challenging" sleights I learned from my father was the Elmsley Count. At that time, I had wished I could pull this move off with next to little practice... Oh, the days of instant gratitude versus practice... anyway, when I was younger I could not stand the man who had invented this count... why was it so difficult to get it right? will I ever do this and look natural without hesitation? Needless to say it is one of the "rights of passage" in card magic now...

Alex Elmsley- I couldn't stand you when I was younger but I look up to you and the legacy to magic that you've left behind... you will not be forgotten.

*another wand is broken*

My thoughts and prayers are with the Elmsley family, may he rest in peace.
Rest in peace, Alex Elmsley. Thank you for your contribution to magic (particularly your wonderful count) which has given so many spectators so much wonder, and so many magicians so much joy.
Message: Posted by: stevengalloway220. (Mar 9, 2006 08:13AM)
I'm very sorry to hear this.Alex was a genius of his art and provided many a great move or trick.he will be remembered by generations to come.my condolences go to his family.
Alex Elmsley is most definitely a prominent figure in the magic world. His death has surprised us all, but his legacy will continue on.
A sad day indeed. I was very fortunate to have met Alex Elmsley a few times. Here are a couple of anecdotes that may be of interest: http://www.isawthat.com/en/articles/art010.html

Ariel