(Close Window)
Topic: What self-working card tricks do you like the most?
What self-working card tricks do you like the most?
How's the effect?
and any recommendations that where can I learn it?
Impossible, has to be mine.
Karl Fulves has a series of books of self working card tricks.
:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
My absolute favorite is the "Upside Down Deck" by Francis Carlyle. You can find it in "Scarne on Card Tricks". It's almost like an in the hands double Triumph.
John bannons play it straight triumph is a favorite of mine and it's almost self working
I do like "'Twixt The Devil" by John Bannon from "Impossibilia" and it is selfworking in the spectators hands!
:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
Side Swiped from Aronson a marketed effect or Cardtoon. The invisible deck as well.
I always get a kick (and a strong reaction) out of Larry Becker's Will the Cards Match. Talk about simple, yet powerful...
I would second John bannons play it straight triumph (almost self-working), If I recall it´s on volume 6 of Michael Ammar´s ETMCM...
Lazy mans card trick gets great reactions. It is on one of the ETMCM dvd's.
Lazy Man's Card Trick
Untouched
Ah yes, self working card tricks. I'll be the first in this thread to say Gemini Twins! It's the first trick in Karl Fulves' More Self Working Card Tricks. I saw the Upside Down Deck trick on Penguin magic as "Do As I Do". I don't know how much it was on the site, but regardless, buying the book is a better investment.
If you get the Karl Fulves "collection", Hugard & Braue's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" and Scarne's "Scarne on Card Tricks", you should be set for life!
[quote]
On 2006-01-11 13:41, jcards01 wrote:
If you get the Karl Fulves "collection", Hugard & Braue's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" and Scarne's "Scarne on Card Tricks", you should be set for life!
[/quote]

Thx a lot
So, what card tricks do you like and recommend in those books?
I like darryl's clock trick.
Face value.
The encyclopedia of magic bu Nicjhlas Einhorn
An absolute killer is "Dead Reckoning" from Dear Mr. Fantasy by John Bannon.
There's an ongoing thread on the same subject here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=43388&forum=2&start=0

The strongest self-working effect I know is John Bannon's Play It Straight Triumph. I also like the methodologically similar pre-written predicitons using Shufflebored principle. I believe the idea for this revelation orginiated with Ali Bongo, but the most popular and well-known handling today is Paul Green's Jeopardy (which can be learned in his _In the Trenches_ DVD).

My personal favorite self-working trick is Rainbow Deck aka Stolen Cards aka Quintiplicate Coincidence. Rainbow decks can be bought for cheap many places, and Lennart Green's presentational take can be purchased for a little more.

Among the most cited self-workering effects:

Lazy Man's Card Trick (although I wouldn't use the handling described in Lorayne's _Close Up Card Magic_)
Untouched - Daryl
Blind Luck and Pure Skill - Dan Paulus (marketed as stand alone)
Out of this World - Paul Curry (umpteen sources, handlings)
Gemini Twins - ? (Fulves' book)
Overkill - Mark Wilson
Timely Departure - John Bannon (see _Smoke and Mirrors_)
Emotional Reaction - Dai Vernon (see _Inner Secrets_?)
Impossible - Larry Jennings (L&L used to have a promotion, they probably still do, where you get this trick for free with any purchase over 30 dollars)
It's hard for me to decide which one I like the most because I know so many. My two favorite self-working card tricks books are "Scarne on Card Tricks" and "Magic with Cards" by Frank Garcia and George Schindler.
Ah yes!! Dead Reckoning (John Bannon)... I forgot that one, and second its nomination. I also agree (as usual) with Dynamike on "Magic With Cards" as a tome of near self-working material. Curious though...Cain, what don't you like about Lorayne's Lazy Man? I personally endorse anything associated with Mr. Lorayne. Just curious...
Magiguy- without divulging the secret of the trick... I don't like the setup. The final face-up cut might telegraph the method. Argh; in other words, the cards are not truly examinable. Granted, when presented in the right situation this should not be a factor: astonishment follows rather than investigation. But it could be a problem. The handling I use makes the trick semi-impromptu.
Galaxy (OOTW) by paul Harris from Aoa
Good points, Cain. Thanks for the follow-up. I see what you mean.
Ar_B,

I would recommend Dear Mr. Fantasy by John Bannon. Within this text you'll get about 5 self workers, 3 of which I use regularly (Final Verdict, Dead Reckoning, and Power of Poker). Do a search on the Café for Self Working Card Tricks with IMPACT. That was a post a started a little while ago with many many good recommendations. I have been researching the best self working effects for the past several months. Another great source is Lennart Green's Green Lite DVD. If you have any other question you can PM me.

Cheers,

Ron Slater
My favorite self working trick is the rising card.
[quote]
On 2006-01-11 15:44, Cain wrote:
Lazy Man's Card Trick (although I wouldn't use the handling described in Lorayne's _Close Up Card Magic_)
[/quote]

Just curious, what handling of it would you use? What's your presentation like?
Hey Cain: I, too, am curious. If you so definitely don't use my hndling of The Lazy Man's Card Trick, what handling DO you use? I have some new thought on the subject in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION. Some talk about how many louse up that trick. I hope you don't fall into that category. Anyway... HARRY LORAYNE.
Lennart Green performs a great 1 in 52 on one of his Vol. I think #4. It's been a favorite for a l'il while now.

I OFTEN perform "Out of this Universe" from CLose-Up Card Magic by no other than Mr Lorayne.

Dead Reckoning is an absolute STUNNER! Literally, you feel them kinda twitch it's soooo good.

Anywho,
my 2 cents

Dom
My favorites are Overkill and do as I Do.
[quote]On 2006-01-12 00:36, Cain wrote:
The handling I use makes the trick semi-impromptu.[/quote]
I am also interested in knowing your method. A handling makes it semi-impromptu?, or different set makes it semi-impromptu?

I know I can perform similar effect by using Crimp and Edge Counting.

BTW, why are we talking about Al Koran's Lazyman's Card Trick in a thread about Self-working trick? It is not a self-wroker but need a considerable (acting) work on performer.

Hideo Kato
Lennart Green's Stolen Cards
I'll second Overkill....
What's a good source for a you do as I do routine?
I do a hybrid play it straight triumph/lazy man's with a flick-er ERRR kicker. The deck is 1/4 stacked, a-la play it straight...card is selected, placed on top, and the deck is cut. The new top card is "flicked" into the deck with my middle finger...I turn over the card flicked to, do the old "indicator card" routine, and deal down to their card. You just have to find 1/4 of the deck (14 cards, really...if you flick to THEIR card, it's a bona fide miracle) that you can reliably flick into, then cut the deck accordingly, i.e. some people flick more into the middle of the pack, the lower 1/3, etc.
Color Separation - Magic With Cards, Garcia & Schindler is an excellent trick.
I do the 21 card trick quite often (Marlo's version).
Cheers,
Roger
Harry Lorayne's Out of this Universe, for me, too. Sometimes I opt for Tony Griffith's slightly-altered approach, 'Out of this Universe Plus' from "Griff on Close Up", of course based on Mr. Lorayne's excellent routine. Both are fantastic.

Cheers

Chris
[quote]
On 2006-01-11 15:44, Cain wrote:
Overkill - Mark Wilson
[/quote]

Overkill isn't Mark Wilson, it's a Paul Harris combination of Marlo and other ideas. Unless Mark Wilson has an effect with the same title...
I'm a big fan of "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson in his book "Try the Impossible".

Cheers.
Who doesn't like Paul Curry's 'Out of This World'? ;) My favorite would be my take on it of course, and Luke Jermay's ('Extraordinary Feat of Seeing Through The Fingertips' DVD)

I really find John Bannon's 'Dead Reckoning' very fascinating, both the method and the plot (re: silent spelling.) So...

The next on my favorite self-workers list would be 'Invocation in Mute' - which is my impromptu version of the Bannon spelling effect. (Not that there is something wrong with the original handling - which I must say is beautiful - but its just that I don't like carrying more than two decks of cards on me whenever I go out. I got them both in Mnemonica order for a particular routine. So I felt the need to develop this particular one.)

The '21 Card Trick' is another potent self-worker.

Aronson's 'Shuffle-bored' is another killer. I enjoyed performing this one.

'Einstein Overkill' is another good one.

That's all from me for now...These are the effects that immediately comes to mind.
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 10:53, Alel wrote:

The next on my favorite self-workers list would be 'Invocation in Mute' - which is my impromptu version of the Bannon spelling effect. (Not that there is something wrong with the original handling - which I must say is beautiful - but its just that I don't like carrying more than two decks of cards on me whenever I go out. I got them both in Mnemonica order for a particular routine. So I felt the need to develop this particular one.)

[/quote]

I like your version Alel! Thank you for sharing this with me. It's a worry-free and impromptu Dead Reckoning!
The Inviseble deck...
[quote]
On 2010-07-15 04:51, J.Warrens wrote:
I'm a big fan of "Prior Commitment" by Simon Aronson in his book "Try the Impossible".

Cheers.
[/quote]

NICE call!! This is a really powerful effect.

A few more suggestions:

Impossible! by Larry Jennings
Scamp by Raphael Szaja
Annihilation Deck by Cameron Francis
Up The Ante by Martyn Smith
Smyth's Myth (this is a CLASSIC)
Matched Picture Cards by Nick Trost
Intuition by Nick Trost
Impromptu Out of This Universe by Harry Lorayne
Against All Odds By Darwin Ortiz
Untouched by Daryl Easton
Queensspell by Simon Aronson
Timely Departure by John Bannon

Namaste,
Vlad
I love Impossible by Larry Jennings as well as some of the effects at the beggining of Jennings 67 which are self working.

I love some of the work of the CATO principle- the effect I use is something that I came up with.

However, Daryl's untouched, if used in the right circumstances, is just a killer. It's simplicity makes it one of the strongest things I do.
I've had great reactions with "It happens in their hands" and a couple of other routines from Juan Tamariz "Verbal Magic".

Just my 2 cents,

Michael
[quote]
On 2006-01-13 07:01, joseph wrote:
I'll second Overkill....
[/quote]

I'll second that again. :lol:
I had completely forgotten how absolutely STRONG "Overkill" is!!! Time to dust this bad girl off and do some damage ;)

Just curious: those who perform this fine effect, do you use it as a closer? It seems to me that, after reading the effect again, it would be pretty hard to follow this in a card set. Comments?

Namaste,
Vlad
I have to say the invisible deck. I really like Jay Sankey's "X" handling of it. I had no problem sacrificing my deck to that trick.
And now that I think about it, Jay Sankey's Astal Projection is also a fantastic self working card trick if you don't mind a gimicked deck.
[quote]
On 2010-08-19 15:06, koolcracker wrote:
And now that I think about it, Jay Sankey's Astal Projection is also a fantastic self working card trick if you don't mind a gimicked deck.
[/quote]

Sankey's effect is excellent, but, I do not recall that he credited it properly. It is actually an Annemann effect straight out of The Jinx, called "King's Kards". Sankey's handling is slightly different, but, the effect first appeared long before Jay was born. I will have to check the video to see if Annemann was credited.

Namaste,
Vlad
For some reasons (which?) Juan Tamariz' "Never blind nor silly" (from his book "Sonata", Roberto Giobbi published it also in one of his "Lightest" books) hasn't been mentioned. It is a absolutely impossible looking location of two selected cards. Besides that it prepares the deck for OOTW. Jan
Maurice Fogel's Three Card Prediction is a classic which always plays strong.
Where, if I may ask, can I find Overkill? Is it in a DVD, book, etc.?

Cardamagically,
Dom :) ;)
Dom,

It's in Paul Harris' book, 'Close Up Fantasies'. The second book, I believe...
Many thanx Alel...I also did some searching it's also on The Stars of Magic Volume 1 DVD.

Cardamagically,
DOM :) ;)
I guess it is not really a trick in itself,but Simon Aronsons Self-Control is pretty cool.
I love Steven Youell's The Card Trick That Has No Explanation. I guess it would qualify more as semi-automatic, but that's good enough for me!
Brrr! by Thomas Baxter

Any Card Any Number
Today, my favorite self-working trick is "[b]Con Cam Coincidencia[/b]" by [i]R. Paul Wilson[/i], because the performance involves multiple participants.
For a long time I did Frank Garcia's "Quadruple Coincidence" which is on one of the old Tannen 'Stars of Magic' tapes.
[quote]
On 2010-08-30 10:55, SamChak wrote:
Today, my favorite self-working trick is "[b]Con Cam Coincidencia[/b]" by [i]R. Paul Wilson[/i], because the performance involves multiple participants.
[/quote]

Nice effect, and is included in Steve Beam's SACT v8.

Excellent choice Sam! I just read this after reading your post, so, thanks for the tip!

Namaste,
Vlad