(Close Window)
Topic: Blizzard vs. white bikes
Hi folks, I am sure if you opened this thread you know at least one of the effects. Blizzard you can watch the vid at penguinmagic, white bikes at elmwoodmagic. I was wondering which one is superior but think I already know the answer. Blizzard, because the cards are examinable. But there may be something in white bikes to make up for it? I would love to hear your opinions. Markiquark
Nooo, you can't compare the two. They are different, IMO.
[quote]
On 2006-01-22 18:40, evolve629 wrote:
Nooo, you can't compare the two. They are different, IMO.
[/quote]

As usual, you are correct! Blizzard can be examined-white bikes can't.
I have had both and liked both !
White bikes doesn't use a deck switch so you can do it standing up or without a table. I like white bikes, and I've developed a handling that I think is better than the one in the instructions, PM me for details if you want it.

I have never had anyone want to examine the cards. You show them backs and 52 fronts cleanly, so they assume there is nothing more to see.
I like White Bikes and have used it when it frist came out. I think White Biukes is a trick and Blizzrad is a mind numbing KILLER effcet. Just my opinion.
I think that Blizzard is an amazing trick. However, I also own White Bikes, and would like to point out that, with a little forethought, you can take cards from the face and the back of the deck and drop them right into the spectators' hands, so it IS like they got to examine all the cards. I typically deal a few from each location, just to lock in the idea that cards were just randomly taken from various parts of the deck, and that I was being very open about letting them handle them...
Blizzard requires more skills and self-confidence to perform, but they are both great!
...but I will stay with Blizzard!
I do not like the 9 force in White Bikes.
Agree Blizzard takes more self confidence, but like the instructions say, once you have done it sucessfully and realize that incredibly it works even when hands are burned, your confidence grows considerably.

I have even done the switch back again immediatley afterward and used the clean deck for the next effect. Never once has the switch ever been spotted much less suspected.

Love the Blizzard. Bob
Why would you let a spectator examine all fifty two cards? Wouldn't that slow your act down? I almost never hand out my regular deck for examination. Most of the time, no one asks to see it.

White Bikes looks very practical for table hopping.
I occasionally have a few people examine a card or two after a color change, but that's it. Unless you do something that merits examination (I guess, like Blizzard), then they are fine. A deck of cards is something everyone is familiar with, which we can use to our advantage. Don't give them a reason and they won't suspect anything

That said, what I would do is have them "examine" after blizzard is performed (by "examine", I mean, ribbon spread, then turnover on the spread. One, it looks cool, two, they see both sides.) If they get picky, all you need to do is hand out one card. That's it. One. Anything else looks almost like you are pleading with them.

If you get any guests who are any pickier than that, then you probably wouldn't have shown them a lot of sleight-heavy magic anyway
I think Blizzard is the better of the two--couple of reasons why--NO FORCE-White Bikes uses an awkward force. And you are left COMPLETLEY CLEAN at the end -I think this is a great trick to close a set. Show all the faces blank and simply walk away--I guarantee they will look at ALL the cards!
White bikes is good trick except for the force. The same gimmick cards have been used for FADE OUT
It think the force is pretty well camoflaged in the trick. In fact, when I first watched the demo, it almost flew right past me. But then again, I wasn't expecting a force because I didn't know what the effect was going to be. You could substitute it for other forces, though. Like the one used in Overkill. Forget the name of it, though.

Maybe it's just me, but as a table hopper, I could never see myself doing Blizzard.
Where can one see a vidi clip of white bikes? BTW, Blizzard is a CLOSER... you can't follow it with anything.
Here's one place to view [i] White Bikes [/i]:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=826

View Demo button is on the right of the page.
Not bad, very nice. I like the LOOSE handling and letting spek hold the cards. Thanks.
I like it too. What I really like about the effect is that the misdirection you need is built right in.
Thanks for psting that link cgscpa. I strongly agree with Pete on this one. Allowing the audience member to hold the cards really adds to the effect. Effects like this are what really drew me into magic when I was younger.
The trick is also on sale right now at Elmwood magic.
Thanks for the heads-up cfrancis.
SIDEBAR NOTICE

Pete:

You could follow it with something. There's always a way to follow something. Just depends on how stuffed you would like your pockets to be.

For example, you do a deck switch with a blank-on-both-sides deck and do, say, Greg Wilson's point blank (essentially an ACR with blank cards where you make a signature jump to the top of the deck instead of cards).

To me, what defines a routine are the strengths of each effect, coupled with flow. Your strongest piece goes at the end, because, then, you truly can not follow it.
Many years ago before White Bikes, Robert Wheeler and myself produced a deck using Jokers instead of blanks. At the time we called it Oops with a different routine than White Bikes or Fade Away. It never sold because it was too expensive to make up. I like the Joker ending because in the laymans mind, it don't smell so much like a gimmaced deck. They probably have never seen a blank card before, therefore they are magicians trick cards. The Fade Away routine is much better because any card can be poiinted to. After the rest of the deck turns to Jokers, a Joker is waved over the selected card and it also changes to a Joker.

Only 50 decks were ever made up and I have probably have 5 or 6 left. These individual cards also work for Paul Harris' Return of the Bizzare Shrink, page 129 Book 3, AofA. By the way, this is a GREAT walk around trick. If anyone is interested in obtaining a deck or BS cards PM me. Maybe we can trade or work something out.
I like both of them. They are both very good.
But, out of the two, I personally prefer BLIZZARD.
It REALLY takes em' down.
I have also worked out some effects using a FULL blank deck of cards in which Dean Dill himself has giving me his blessing to use immediately after performing BLIZZARD. (When need be)
There simply are certain times when opportunity presents itself where one could CONTINUE to demonstrate his/her magical ability.
"more More MORE" the crowd screams.
Who are we to say when it ends?...
Just remember:
Either of the two you choose, be sure to have FUN.

Magically,
Nick V.
Donkey's years ago, Ken Brooke sold "It's a Joker" where the deck changes to ALL JOKERS after being seen as a normal deck. Very clever and I used to use it a lot. Now I have to go find it in one of my storage areas and revitalize it! :bikes:
I'm very surprised that nobody's mentioned using BOTH. Similar effect, different method right? Great for flooring repeat audiences.
Great idea, Michael.
I own both and both tricks are excellent. Although I prefer to perform whitebikes because its a multi phase routine that leads to a strong finish and there is no deck switch wich makes it more practical for table hopping. As for the examination of the cards in whitebikes half of the deck is examinable.
How does White Bikes compare to an older Peter Duffie effect, "Wipeout"??? I've used Wipeout in the past, and the mechanics of White Bikes sounds very similar.

Dave
Both are quality effects.

I go with Blizzard because there is no force. They have a free choice of any card and you remove their card and it's 3 mates. Then watch out!!!

Dean came up with a classic of card magic!

Chris
You said it Chris! ... It is a Forever CLASSIC!!!
Blizzard is SOLID!
Free Choice, No Force, and the Deck is Completely Examinable!
[quote]
On 2006-09-09 17:14, Nick-V. wrote:
You said it Chris! ... It is a forever CLASSIC!!!
Blizzard is SOLID!
Free Choice, No Force, and the deck is Completely Examinable!
[/quote]

Nick you sound like an advertisement. They should hire you to do ad copy!!!!

Everything Nick said is true and on the money!!!

Chris
Thanx Chris:
I simply like to give credit where credit is due.
Not that Dean needs my testimonial (It's already a WINNER!),
My enthusiasm for this effect comes from the reactions I get when performing it.
I simply hope others who are considering this effect for their arsenal will enjoy it as much as I and others who own it as well do.
5 Stars *****

Dean is the man.
Both tricks are good in their own way. If you are into having the deck examined thoroughly by people to prove they are blank, Blizzard is the one. To throw another routine into the mix, check out Aldo Colombini's "Draw a Blank". I believe it preceeded the others.
[quote]
On 2006-09-10 13:18, Jon Allen wrote:
Both tricks are good in their own way. If you are into having the deck examined thoroughly by people to prove they are blank, Blizzard is the one. To throw another routine into the mix, check out Aldo Colombini's "Draw a Blank". I believe it preceeded the others.

[/quote]

Jon raises a good point. I don't beleive in having "props" examined. But..there are some effects that are so strong, they beg to be looked at. I never ofefr them to look at blizzard, but don't stop them either.

Chris
MagicChris, do you do Blizzard when table hopping? Just curious as I think it would take up a bit of pocket space.
[quote]
On 2006-09-10 17:56, cfrancis wrote:
MagicChris, do you do Blizzard when table hopping? Just curious as I think it would take up a bit of pocket space.
[/quote]

No, I don't. I try to do things that are very quick. Not rushed, but quick and dramatic ( transpos, coin flurry/jumbo coin, knot off rope, Anything Wallet ). Blizzard isn't long, but it takes a little more time than I'm willing to devote. Don't be put off by that, though. Pete Biro says he does it and I'd put more stock in his opinion of doing it.

I've been helping my dad lately and haven't been out their working, btu am just starting to get back into it as The Lord has blessed my Dad and I'll have time to devote to a couple of nights a week.

Chris
I purchased this effect yesterday and the saleman was too busy to run through it and I ran out of time. Is there a video demo other then the one on the penguin site? Would like to see a run through from further back.
Blizzard demo is here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=382

White Bikes here:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=826
I love Blizzard but find that if you are going to use the handling that comes with it, the sh*ll provided is not great- it's too flimsy for my liking, so its better to buy and use one of the higher quality versions, or just use a completely different sw*tch.
[quote]
On 2006-09-10 13:18, Jon Allen wrote:

[/quote]

I was watching that dvd last night. I am on my way to Toronto to buy the decks needed. A really strong effect. I really enjoy Aldo's work.
I've been doing Blizzard for years now and EVERYTIME I do it I think I'm gonna get caught because the "move" you need to do just seems so bold, but of the hundreds of times I've done it I never got caught because the misdirection is so smooth. The people that see this trick done are simply floored. There aren't many effects that amaze people as much as this. I always step back hope they take it upon themselves to examine the cards, and they often do, because they are so shocked at what just happened.

This is a modern classic!

Jeff
The discussion thread are interesting - will acquire White Bikes just out of interest. I own "Blizzard" love it, but for table hopping I'm using Aldo Colombini's "Draw a blank".
I preferred "White Bikes" and used it for years. I worked with "Blizzard" as well and personally REALLY ENJOYED the sneakiness involved :)

White Bikes worked better for me because I had a much better presentation for it that allowed me to really enjoy the routine and become deeply involved with the participants. Also, it was much easier for me to handle in some situations (no table).

Both routines are great. I would suggest considering each of them.

-Jerome.
I prefer blizzard, but with a equivoque (spelt right?) at end where spec has shuffled the 4 cards and placed down. (Plenty of time to do sneaky stuff, get them to concentrate on shuffle). I feel that its better that the spec 'chooses' and ends up with their card and then turn the rest over.