(Close Window)
Topic: What is your favorite bar betcha?
Seems pretty self explanatory to me. Let's see what they are!
The trick where you say. I'll bet you 10 bucks the next card I turn over will be your card. Suckers take that bet everytime.
This is one I like. Order a shot of something. Take a napkin, unfold it and then lay it over the full shotglass. Tell the mark that you can drink the entire contents of the glass without touching the napkin. Bet a little cash on it. Then, make a big swallowing motion, you know... gulp! Ahhhhhh! Then say, "There, I did it." Of course they will tell you that you're a big fat liar. Say, "Go ahead and look for yourself," pointing at the napkin covering the shot glass. Whn they lift the napkin off of the glass, quickly grab the glass and drink it down. Then, as they sit there with the napkin in their hand, looking at the now empty glass, say, "See? Told ya."

Collect your money and then leave the bar quickly!
Harry Anderson's collaboration with Turk Pipkin on the Showtime-aired Hello, Sucker! is great fun!
I bethca I can drink 3 shots before you can drink three pints.
Unbelievably you can!!
You can`t answer 5 questions wrong, and if you like completely wrong (like: what did you eat today, answer: blue).

Nothing sneeky, everything is true and everyone looses on the 4th or final question.
Got this from the new bar betchas DVDs from Dan Harlan. Funny stuff there, some old and some new to me.
Bet someone to play darts against you. And because you're sure you'll win, tell them that they can double every score they hit. You count down regularly. That way, the other person can never win. Because you have to hit 501 and you can't hit a odd number when everything is doubled.
I bet I can drink 3 pints before you drink 3 shots....That is my favorite....Ahhhh..I like no bar tabs.
A proposition bet: I bet that I can push this billiard ball further than you just using one finger by using one finger push down on top of the ball from the edge of the pool table , the mark of course will accept , you allow them to go first and they might do badly but as the mark is having their go you lick your finger which creates less backspin allowing the ball to go further and of course unless the mark is superman you will win.

Rob
[quote]
On 2006-01-25 11:56, Reis O'Brien wrote:
This is one I like. Order a shot of something. Take a napkin, unfold it and then lay it over the full shotglass. Tell the mark that you can drink the entire contents of the glass without touching the napkin. Bet a little cash on it. Then, make a big swallowing motion, you know... gulp! Ahhhhhh! Then say, "There, I did it." Of course they will tell you that you're a big fat liar. Say, "Go ahead and look for yourself," pointing at the napkin covering the shot glass. Whn they lift the napkin off of the glass, quickly grab the glass and drink it down. Then, as they sit there with the napkin in their hand, looking at the now empty glass, say, "See? Told ya."[/quote]

Good trick. Works best if you use a hat instead of a napkin. It will cover the shot glass better. I realize it sounds idiotic...but Reis is correct, they will look every time.

Also, the old two beers and a shot trick.

While it is far from a magic trick, you get two full glasses of beer and one shot. Tell your guy that you bet you can drink both glasses of beer before he drinks his one shot. Now...to make it fair, you will drink one beer and when you are done, he is allowed to drink his shot. The rules are that neither one of you is allowed to touch the other ones glass. So...when you finish your beer, upend the glass and cover the shot glass. Drink the second beer at your leisure. He can't do anything about it, because he isn't allowed to touch your glass.
I like tieing a cigarette into a knot without tearing the paper. It's wicked hard to do, but it always gets the money once you have practiced it. Not only does it get the money, the mark is do flabergasted that you did it they don't even whine when they lose.
This one is really mean. I have only done it once and the guy I did it to was a real jerk the keep bothering the girl I was there with.
Bet the guy a fiver that he can't put a cue ball in his mouth. Sounds easy and it is. Getting it in is no problem. As soon as he shoves it in, pay him the fiver and leave. After you leave and he is laughing at what a chump you are, he will try to take it out again. This is where the fun starts, he can't. The way the human jaw is shaped it is very easy to shove a cue ball in, the problem is with a ball in your mouth you can't get your fingers in to grab it and pull it out. They have to go to the emergency rooom and get a shot to relax the jaw so that the doctors can partually dislocate the jaw enough to remove the ball. I went back in a week later and people were still laughing about it. Please do not try this to see if it works. If you must, use an apple the same size so that when you can't get it out you can slowly chew it untill it is small enough to get a grip on what's left.
That is one of my favorite mouth shutters so to speak.

The way the teeth are shaped helps not in this little bit of horrible business.

As was stated earlier please do not try this to see if it works. You can not get it out trust me. It will cause horrible pain and embarassment if you do it. The muscle relaxers are really not cheap and I am not sure most insurance companies cover acts of God or acts of stupidity.

Please Please Please do not try this little stunt.
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Mar 14, 2006 12:43AM)
That has GOT to be one of the funniest things I have ever read. It's kinda like knowing where the weak spot on the Lion's neck is, to wrestle him off- I'll probably never need it, but if the occasion arises...
You line up five glasses that alternate face up and face down. You then proceed to turn them over, two at a time, always picking up two glasses next to each other until they are all face up.

You bet the sucka a beer he can't do the same in under a minute!

They never can!
Three card monte for me
A great way to win drinks is to bet that the chump cannot do as you do. Tell them that you will do nothing fancy or try anything tricky.
If they can follow along you will buy them a shot.
If they can not do as you do , they will buy you the shot.
I also always tell them that they will also walkaway with the knowledge of how to get free drinks from suckers. This gets a laugh.

Order 2 shots of what ever....sit across from the sucker. A shot infront of each of you.

Place your hands flat on the table, thumbs touching, with the shot in between.

Have the spectator do the same and inform them you are about to begin.
You lift your right hand up and place it palm down on top of the shot.
They lift thier right hand to follow suit.
You replace your hand to where it was.
So do they.
You place your left hand on top and back to the start again.
They do as you did.
You lift the shot with your right hand and bring it to your mouth and toss it back.
they do the same.
slam the shotglass down on the table face down.
they do the same.
Tap the glass with your finger twice and turn it right side up.
So do they.
You pick up the glass and spit out the shot that you have kept in your mouth with out swallowing.
They, and all around you, will burst out laughing.

Having them do as you do....well, you can do anything...I like to do a couple of hand moves before taking the shot....but a lot more after before spitting it back out. Time misdirection sort of thing.
I have done this dozens of times and they all swallow when they drink. It gets great reactions from the sucker and spectators
My favorite bar betcha has earned me many free drinks. Tell the mark that you are able to cause things to move without touching the object. You go so far as to claim that you can cause them (the mark) to move their body without you (the magician) touching them. You state that "I will walked around their body three times and that their body will move at least one foot before you have completed your walks around their body."

The stipulations are that you will not touch their body, you will not ask anybody else to touch their body and that you will not use anything to physically move their body. They will move by their own free will. It is important to stress this point. Start by positioning their body standing in the middle of the room with their arms at their side. This in itself should draw a crowd. Stand about a foot in front of the mark and start to wave your hands in a mystical way as you recite your magical chant. As you do this slowly walk all the way around their body. Once you have walked around their body one time simply say "that's once".

Again, and standing in front of the mark, start to wave your hands in a mystical way as you recite your magical chant for a second time. Once you have walked around their body for a second time simply say "that's twice and walk back to your seat and start sipping on your drink. Look back at the mark and state that they can either stand there until the bar closes (because you are not going to walk around their body for a third time) or they can walk to the bar (loosing the bet) and buy you your drink.

At this time I turn to the mark and say "Just think about how many free drinks you are going to get when you pull this one on others". This usually gets a big smile on the face of the mark and a good many laughs from the rest of the crowd.

Take card and take cards
Antony Gerard
I like the get the whiskey intoth ewaer class and vice versa.

You have two identical shot glasses, on efull of whiskey and the other full of water. The betcha is to get the liquids to change places without any other vessal, including your mouth. This was exposed on UK TV recently so the game may be up here.

the trick is to have the glasses full to start with, the take a plastic card, like a driving license or video club card, place it over the water. Turn the water glass upside down and place it on the whiskey glass. Then move the card slightly so that there is a small gap near the edge of the glasses. As the water he heavier (well more dense) than the whiskey it falls down the gap, displacing the whiskey. takes a minute or so to finish. Don't make the hole too big or the liquids mix.
My next favourite betcha is:

I betcha I can have a drink from an unopened bottle of champagne. I won't open the bottle, no one will open the bottle. The bottle won't get broken either. If I can, you'll pay for the bottle, if not I'll pay for it and you can drink it.

Any takers?
Acmp:
That's a good one - you drink from the 'punt'. :)
But my favorite is still the one first mentioned in this thread - turning over the 'next' card. There's nothing like the mark thinking he has you by the short hairs.
Spot on airship, and if your beer bottle is 'suitable' you can modify it to work with that too.

Here's another one if you're feeling brave.

I betcha I can make you turn your hands over without touching you! just hold out your hands... no, the other way up ;-)
Acmp: Last night, I was browsing though my 1947 copy of 'Blackstone's Tricks Anyone Can Do' and found the 'drinking from the punt' trick in Chapter One: Bafflers. It's listed as trick #7, 'The Impossible Drink'. I had totally forgotten it was in there! :)
It's a good one as people don't even turn the bottle over when they are trying to work it out, they're more interested in checking the cork is in properly and such.

It's in some more recent books to, '100 ways to win £10'.

It surprises me how long these simple betcha's can run for before the public get wise to them. Never mind, more beer for me I guess

acmp<><

(FWIW it's acmp and not Acmp, just a pet peeve of mine)
Actually, the posting system auto-capitalized the 'A' - I typed it all in lower case. :0
No worries, Microsoft does it all the time to me.
I'm using a straw and an empty glass. I'll use the straw to pick the glass up off the bar or table. When the glass goes up, all I'll be holding is the end of the straw.
Scotch and soda sounds good!
Put 20 bucks in a matchbox then they put 20 bucks in the same matchbox. After one min. of talking about the $40.00 in the matchbox... sell it to them for $30.00
Glass & Straw. Is it a suction thing?

$40 in match box. Does that work? It sounds a bit like 'making change'
I don't think anyone would actually want to do this one, and it is more of a scam then a bet. I saw it in Desperado, where a guy tells the story about the scame. Here's what you do.

Walk up to the bar tender and bet him a hundred dollars that you can pee in a cup that's like 4 feet away on the bar without spilling a drop. Build up the tension and then just pee all over the bar. When he asks for his money say just a second and walk over to the other side of the bar where you collect a hundred dollars a piece from four guys. Give the barkeep one and walk out. Secret is, before you go to the bar tender, go over to the guys and bet each of them a hundred dollars you can **** all over the bar without the bartender getting mad at all.

Like I said, not the sort of thing you'd want to do at a fine establishment.
[quote]Glass & Straw. Is it a suction thing?[/quote]

No suction. Think wedge.
Pee on the bar, ROFL
Glass & straw:
what glass are you using? For a wedge how about an arrow head type fold, but I'm not sure how to get the friction on the glass, maybe I'll take the bet.
You have a bet. (Most people take the bet.) Send me an email address and I'll send you a video that shows and explains the stunt. This offer is open to all.
[quote]
On 2006-03-13 00:08, mrmystic wrote:
This one is really mean. I have only done it once and the guy I did it to was a real jerk the keep bothering the girl I was there with.
Bet the guy a fiver that he can't put a cue ball in his mouth. Sounds easy and it is. Getting it in is no problem. As soon as he shoves it in, pay him the fiver and leave. After you leave and he is laughing at what a chump you are, he will try to take it out again. This is where the fun starts, he can't. The way the human jaw is shaped it is very easy to shove a cue ball in, the problem is with a ball in your mouth you can't get your fingers in to grab it and pull it out. They have to go to the emergency rooom and get a shot to relax the jaw so that the doctors can partually dislocate the jaw enough to remove the ball. I went back in a week later and people were still laughing about it. Please do not try this to see if it works. If you must, use an apple the same size so that when you can't get it out you can slowly chew it untill it is small enough to get a grip on what's left.
[/quote]

I can attest to this one as being true - I saw it happen.
That one with the cue ball is definately amazing. :) It is mean, but...I can think of a few over the years that deserved it. LOL
This one's not 100% --- more of a gag, really:

While handling a deck, say "I can imitate any animal you name with this deck of cards."

(Hopefully they name an animal with legs, not like a sea anemone or something...)

Facing them, put the deck behind your back. Lean forward, legs slightly bent and apart, and drop cards from your butt in clumps onto the floor.
Oh, man. That's funny!
Hey, magicians! Keep an eye out for this one! Don't fall for it. It's a show ender!
Check out Dan Harlan's DVD's on Bar Bets
My favorite is you bet your mark that you can knock two pool balls in at the same time with only one shot.

you start off by taking two pool balls giving them to your mark, and telling s/he to hold the pool balls on the edge of the corner pockets ( the side with the dot). now you take a quarter a place it on the dot. position yourself on the other side of the table in line with the quarter and your mark. shoot the cue ball with some force to where the cue ball will launch off the quarter and hit your mark in the chest and they will naturally step back and drop the balls in the pocket.
pick up your money bet them they wont get mad. (buy them a beer later on or give a chance to win there money back)
Do you shoot pool with the mentally challenged?
Steve V
Sorry I do not follow by that comment? can you please explain yourself. thanks
Only a dimwit stands in line with a pool shot, only a dimwit would fire off a shot with the intent of hitting some one in the chest. I don't believe it happened unless everyone in the room had on helmets and were suppose to hold hands walking down the street. Oh, reverse your puncuation.
Steve V
Im sorry you feel that way but I have done this on a couple of occasion when I still hustled pool. But this is a discussion forum and if you feel that everyone in the world is an Einstein, then you need to take a better look.

Casanova
You know, I believe you that you got people to stand in line with a hard hit pool shot that you fired into their chest and caused them to jerk back and put balls into the pockets when you hustled pool and they paid off with a ho ho ho and a clink of glasses.
Steve V
Hey man every gene pool has a sucker and I have nose for picking them out that is why I was good at hustling.

Casanova;)
I to have a nose for picking. I also suck at pool, so I've never tried to hustle. But if I did I don't think I'd risk knocking someones teeth out for a petty trick bet.
Where did you carry out this audacious piece of poolhall showmanship and how often did you find someone stupid enough to do it to?
[quote]
On 2006-01-24 11:04, chichi711 wrote:
The trick where you say. I'll bet you 10 bucks the next card I turn over will be your card. Suckers take that bet everytime.
[/quote]
Not familiar with this one? Can someone explain? Do you turn it over after they display it?
[quote]
On 2006-08-02 17:10, jtcavataio wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Not familiar with this one? Can someone explain? Do you turn it over after they display it?
[/quote]

The mark picks a card, you know what it is. You then start to take cards, one at a time from the face down deck, looking for their card, when it turns up you keep going as if you haven't spotted it. a few cards later you place the bet, they take it as you've already passed their card. you then go back through the face up cards and turn their card over, you win!

bit sketchy on the details, but I'm sure you can work it out.
I posted an original bar bet as its own topic in "betchas" It is called Bounce/no bounce betcha. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!
[quote]
On 2006-08-04 13:12, acmp wrote:
... you then go back through the face up cards and turn their card over, you win!
[/quote]

Don't try this on anyone who might already know it. Once the "next card" is about to be turned over, they might just square up the pile and really mess with the outcome. Even better, if you know they know...and you smell a double cross in the works, some double lifts and second deals will help a lot. Or take the "low tech" route and force a dupe.

This was great fun up in someone's room at a recent magic convention. Each was out to try and out hustle the hustler.
I bet them I can cut a hole in my (or their) business card big enough to put over my head. Sounds impossible to most!
Non-transitive dice are always fun if your sucker is willing to play for a while :)
Thank you every one I seen so many sweet things in here..
Hi Patrick,

I would really like to see that video and explanation of the glass and straw stunt; I just PM'ed my e-mail address to you...

Thanks,
hsm
Acmp,

I just sent you a PM. I would like to know the solution to the drinking from an unopened bottle of champaign stunt; might you be able to send it to me?

Thanks,
hsm
Sure thing. Although the video has been lost and I've yet to shoot another, I'll be happy to send the written work.
Hi Patrick,

I too would really like to see the explanation of the glass and straw stunt. You have a PM. :)

Thanks
Place a handful of change, including several pennies, on the bar, and tell someone you will bet him a dollar he can't pick up a penny from those coins.....When he does, ask him where on the coin is the word "penny"...
A couple of my faves are the 5 question bet, I do some mindreading so I enjoy doing the 'no' trick on the skeptics... its where you tell the mark they have the ability to read minds, they disagree and of coarse they want to make you look like a fool so they accept... "i shall write a word on this card, no one will see it and it is for you to read my mind and tell me what it is"... "sound fair enough? $20 bet?" you ask them " o.k. lets try, er do you know whats written on the card?" they will say "no" because they don't, and on the back of the card is written the word NO... $$$ cha ching $$$
How about you bet the mark that they can't balance more than 6 50p's on the table in under a minute, in fact you will give them £1 for every 50p that they manage to balance... when they manage to balance 10 or so and are looking really pleased with themselves hand them a £1 and scope up all there 50p's.
For me it is one that was said earlier where you do a card trick ,and tell the spec the next card I turn over is yours....gets em every time.

I don't bother with cards anymore but if I do decide to show a couple of tricks with cards then I'll get em with that one ;)
This thread is awesome! I host a few draws and game show nights in our community and these will be excellant to pull out every once in awhile.
[quote]
On 2006-03-13 00:08, mrmystic wrote:
[/quote]

OK- now that I have cleaned the tears from my cheaks I can write. This is the funniest post I have read yet! I hope I never need to use it, but just incase- its great!

My favorite... or well, second favorite now is to put two coins on the table and you push them toward the mark one at a time and count as you do it. Push an imaginary coin and count 3. Then ask how many coins they see. They say 2. If they say 3, you say, no seriously, how many. Anyway, you do this a few times before saying, "there really are three coins. Bet you $5 I'm wrong." So confused by the imaginary coin, they take the bet and you say OK, I'm wrong, give me the $5. If they wont give it to you shove a cue ball in their mouth- holy cow that's funny.
[quote]
On 2006-03-14 01:43, freefallillusion1 wrote:
That has GOT to be one of the funniest things I have ever read. It's kinda like knowing where the weak spot on the Lion's neck is, to wrestle him off- I'll probably never need it, but if the occasion arises...
[/quote]

wait a minute- you can't make a post like that without the answer! Now if I am ever under a lion I will spend the last 3 seconds of my life wishing I had just googled it!
Place your hand on your head. Your elbow will be out to the side. Essentially the bet is that I can hold my hand against my head and you can't push it in an upward direction off of my head.It's just true. For some reason your arm will break before it comes off your head if you are pushing down hard enough. Give it a try. You'll see.
[quote]
On 2008-03-08 18:48, Donavon wrote:
..For some reason your arm will break before it comes off your head if you are pushing down hard enough. Give it a try. You'll see.
[/quote]

Ok, I tried it and now I have a broken arm, what do I do next?
PUT A POOL BALL IN YOUR MOUTH
I knew a guy who jump up onto a pool table from standing still with no running or getting ready. Just bent his knees and jumped strait up onto the pool table. He could make money betting in any bar that had pool tables in it.
I wouldnt take that bet for money, I can do that easily
Hot Dog! I found the video!

The offer still stands as mentioned a page or two prior.
[quote]
[/quote]
I betcha $5.00 this quarter will land heads on the pool table. If they are gamblers they will take it thinkiing they have a fifty-fifty chance. Wrong.
[quote]
On 2008-10-16 19:08, Rotten wrote:
I betcha $5.00 this quarter will land heads on the pool table. If they are gamblers they will take it thinkiing they have a fifty-fifty chance. Wrong.
[/quote]How does that work -- what's the catch?
Perhaps a 2-headed coin? tho that is so obvious I am betting it's not the answer.
[quote]
[/quote]
Im guessing it works in the sense that if it literally lands heads up on the table you win, or if it lands tails up the head in ON the pool table.
BIngo Soccergod. It's all in the wording. You win either heads up or down.
My dad showed this to me a few years back. Im not one to bet unless I'm 90% sure I'll win. So it was my two brothers that were the suckers.
My dad pulls out a fifty dollar note and says "want fifty bucks boys".
"Hell Yeah" we reply.
He continues "Well I'll wrap this note around your wrist and if I take my cigarette and burn a hole in the note you can have it. But if you pull your hand away before the note burns you don't get it"
Being the eldest I knew my dad was a consummate practical joker so as soon as I heard there was a catch I was out of there. Especially with the prospect of hot stuff against my skin. Though my brothers had yet experienced the full force of dads shenanigans.
So the second oldest shoves out his wrist.
"That fifty is mine" he proclaims.
So dad starts the process. Within seconds, maybe milliseconds, my brother has jerked his arm out.
"No money for you" Dad says with a smile on his face. I know that smile!
"Your a pussy" says my youngest brother thrusting his arm out.
This had now become a test to see who was the toughest. So once again the cigarette was put to the $50 note and my little bro was looking like he was going to be $50 richer.
Finally he pulls his arm out screaming in pain, swearing and running around the lounge-room. Dad holds up the $50 still in tact this time chuckling.
Of course we were baffled as to why we were not up $50 and my brother bore a scar on his wrist for a few years to come.??????????????????????????????????

Skin burns at a much lower temperature than paper. So unless its someone who likes pain id say it generally works. If you have plastic currency, as we do now, I don't know.
Should my dad get reported to child services? Probably.
I will share a similar story. Only more rotten.

I was 18 years old working as a waiter and making pretty good money, considering I was living with my folks for a few more months. One night my coworkers were having a party and I went. There were a bunch of kids I didn't know that came from a trade school that was an alternative to prison. We were daring each other crazy stuff and I made the above wager with a twenty dollar bill. The young man, my age at the time, said he would take the dare but he wanted to hold the cigarette and I said okay, as long as he never took it off the bill and kept the bill tight. He lit a cig, stuck it to his arm and continued to puff on it to keep the cherry glowing. As the cigarette burned down, to my amazement, he asked if he could use another cigarette to finish. I was shocked he had made it this long and I said okay. Looking back it was pretty rotten of me. His buddy lit up another one and he used the second cigarette down to the butt. He did burn a tiny hole in the bill and I let him keep it. The next day his arm was swollen grotesquely and yellow, black and blue. I never saw him again after that and never made the wager again. Don't make a bet with a desperate man.
You know you can get paid in some places for doing that to somone.......
I would have to say my favorite betcha
is I bet you a drink that I can jump higher then the bar! (4 Feet high)
I'm not a lilte guy, so people think I can't jump that high.
right away I have a mark taking on the bet.
I get everyone to stand back a bit and jump about 4 Inchs off the ground.
I then trun to the bar and say your turn.
A bar can't jump so, I take my shot.
I don't know if this one has appeared yet but it is the one in which a dollar, etc. is held by you and the victim holds his finger and thumb apart. You hold the dollar in between his finger and thumb and he must catch the dollar when you drop it. Physiologically it is nearly impossible since the message takes too long to go from the visual receptors, through the brain, and to the fingers. Simply put they cannot react fast enough.
Another is for the pool table and is little known. Throw is a concept in pool where there is a slight pull to one ball when another makes contact. This is one reason why rail shots are difficult. Place two balls touching each other and the rail on one of the long sides of the pool table and near one end. The cue ball needs to strike the rear ball as in a combination shot and sink the other ball in the corner pocket at the other end, same side, of the pool table. In other words the ball to be sunk must travel down the rail, past the side pocket, and into the corner pocket. You must strike the side of the rear ball and not the rail and side of the ball as in a normal rail shot. I hope this is all clear because what will happen if you don't know the secret is that throw will cause the object ball to sink into the cushion minutely and it will travel away from the rail enough to miss the corner pocket. To sink it successfully you must put saliva on your thumb secretly before you set up the shot for yourself and that saliva is the point of contact between the two balls on the rail. This decreases the friction between the balls enough to successfully complete the shot.
[quote]
On 2006-04-15 18:51, airship wrote:
Acmp:
That's a good one - you drink from the 'punt'. :)
But my favorite is still the one first mentioned in this thread - turning over the 'next' card. There's nothing like the mark thinking he has you by the short hairs.

[/quote]

I taught this one to my granddaughters when they were 3 & 4 and they not only scammed the neighborhood kids out of their allowances but took their 65 year old grandfather, who is a lawyer, for 20 bucks. Everyone got their money back except the lawyer.... hahaha
[quote]
On 2008-10-20 12:14, soccergod wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Im guessing it works in the sense that if it literally lands heads up on the table you win, or if it lands tails up the head in ON the pool table.
[/quote]

The wording would also work for a two sided coin if you enphasize slightly the words 'this quarter'. That way, you could do heads or tails and unless you gave the spectator the quarter to look at, may get by longer in the same bar.
Some great stories here. Thanks.
Tell someone that they can pick a number between one and a trillion and you will be able to guess it. You turn around and write it on a piece of paper. Turn back around and say "Ok I am ready, now I want you to think of a number between one and a trillion." Wait a few seconds and say..."Ok, now are you thinking of one." Of course they will say "Yes I am." Then turn over your paper and show that it says...."1" That is a gag I use in all my shows and it gets real big laughs.
First one I ever heard is still a fave if the topic comes up in the neighborhood pub, I bet any amount that I can stand flatfooted and jump higher than the bar, if that isn't difficult enough , I bet that I can jump higher than the bar on one foot, either way it is easy,( by the way I am 66 years old)and have never missed , or lost
Some funny funny things in here. I have learnt that if I am ever attacked by a lion I should shove a pool ball in it's mouth.

The only bar trick I know works best on a friend.

You wait until they have just bought a nice drink, the more expensive and easily drunk the better. Then bet them a small amount of money, like a dollar that you can drink their entire drink without touching the glass or using a straw or getting your lips wet. They will surely agree to such an impossible task.

Once the bet is made pick up their glass and down their drink.....

They will protest that you cheated, you agree you did.

You owe them one dollar.
[quote]
Good trick. Works best if you use a hat instead of a napkin. It will cover the shot glass better. I realize it sounds idiotic...but Reis is correct, they will look every time. [/quote]

That was in Cheers, by Harry the Hat. He was a great character for a con-man. The con in "Pick a Con... any Con" from start to finish was awesome.

See the end part here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0SdJPXLYY

The old cross-double-cross-triple-cross cross.... or something.

And here is the "can't touch the hat" gag, but I think Harry's rendition is tremendous, however you don't get to drink two beers in this version, you do get two shots. And the bet of a dime could be a buck or $5 I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiK1zHgq3uI

Cheers wasn't one of my favourite shows, by a long shot, but I always remember this con. It was great!
This is my favorite bar bet. I think it's a very smart way to get some free drinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euL5kGk25xM&feature=related

STM70
[i]School for Scoundrels[/i] will be releasing a DVD of Chef Anton's [i]The Pool Hustler's Handbook[/i] next month.

It contains 50 pool shot "betchas," most of which can be accomplished by a moderately skilled pool player, and many can be accomplished without having ever picked up a pool cue. It also contains a half-hour billiards lesson that will greatly improve your play, and contains some of the real secrets to hustling at pool.

Two other of Chef's pool videos will be released at the same time--Chef Anton's current trick shot show was taped at Soapy Smith Night at the Magic Castle in 2007, and a DVD of his historic performance VHS video of the trick shots that twice won him the title of US Trick Shot Champion, the "Magical Menu of Pool Ball Wizardry."

All three of these DVDs and a DVD Performance/Explanation of his original close-up magic will be out sometime in March.
Pick the best looking chick in the bar, preferably with a group of her friends.

Do a couple of tricks and then you are going to make something really magical happen.

Get her to grab on to the bar, tell her to close her eyes and count down to ten.

As she is doing that, mouth to her friends that you are leaving. When she opens her eyes, her friends will tell her you 'disappeared'.

Gets a great laugh, brings the cute chick down to everyone elses level and lets her know you are in control. Good looking girls like that. Gives you a good opportunity later to go back and have a laugh with her.

Usually works, sometimes you get lucky. You can even bet a drink if you want to be cheeky.

Regards,

Geoff.
[quote]
On 2006-03-27 05:54, jonzola wrote:
A great way to win drinks is to bet that the chump cannot do as you do. Tell them that you will do nothing fancy or try anything tricky.
If they can follow along you will buy them a shot.
If they can not do as you do , they will buy you the shot.
I also always tell them that they will also walkaway with the knowledge of how to get free drinks from suckers. This gets a laugh.

Order 2 shots of what ever....sit across from the sucker. A shot infront of each of you.

Place your hands flat on the table, thumbs touching, with the shot in between.

Have the spectator do the same and inform them you are about to begin.
You lift your right hand up and place it palm down on top of the shot.
They lift thier right hand to follow suit.
You replace your hand to where it was.
So do they.
You place your left hand on top and back to the start again.
They do as you did.
You lift the shot with your right hand and bring it to your mouth and toss it back.
they do the same.
slam the shotglass down on the table face down.
they do the same.
Tap the glass with your finger twice and turn it right side up.
So do they.
You pick up the glass and spit out the shot that you have kept in your mouth with out swallowing.
They, and all around you, will burst out laughing.

Having them do as you do....well, you can do anything...I like to do a couple of hand moves before taking the shot....but a lot more after before spitting it back out. Time misdirection sort of thing.
I have done this dozens of times and they all swallow when they drink. It gets great reactions from the sucker and spectators
[/quote]

This is my favorate, too- it's very visual and gets a good laugh!
Two words danny, its called scam school created by brian brushwood. Awesome site with loads of bar betchas, and even some tricks one can use as comedy in a regular magic act.
[quote]
On 2010-02-23 18:23, gfdiamond wrote:
Pick the best looking chick in the bar, preferably with a group of her friends.

Do a couple of tricks and then you are going to make something really magical happen.

Get her to grab on to the bar, tell her to close her eyes and count down to ten.

As she is doing that, mouth to her friends that you are leaving. When she opens her eyes, her friends will tell her you 'disappeared'.

Gets a great laugh, brings the cute chick down to everyone elses level and lets her know you are in control. Good looking girls like that. Gives you a good opportunity later to go back and have a laugh with her.

Usually works, sometimes you get lucky. You can even bet a drink if you want to be cheeky.

Regards,

Geoff.
[/quote]

You sound like a demon with the ladies.
Okay haven't seen this posted yet...........

The bet is someone can't slap you across the face while you stand with your toes touching one end of a piece of copy while the sucker has his toes on the opposite end of the same piece of paper.

Let him know he'll have ten seconds to slap you across the face but his toes must always be touching the paper. Your toes also have to be touching the same piece of paper and you can't where anything on your head, you can't move & must stand up straight with your hands behind your back.

Once the bet is made take the paper and place it in the middle of a doorway (door is open). You have the sucker stand on the side of the door that opens into him (first close the door once he's on the correct side) while you stand on the side that opens away from you.

Every time I've done this the sucker refuses to even begin as he knows he's beat immediately since he can't take his toes off the paper and can't punch through the door.

Not sure where I first heard of this but I've used it successfully three or four times.
[quote]
On 2008-03-08 18:48, Donavon wrote:
Place your hand on your head. Your elbow will be out to the side. Essentially the bet is that I can hold my hand against my head and you can't push it in an upward direction off of my head.It's just true. For some reason your arm will break before it comes off your head if you are pushing down hard enough. Give it a try. You'll see.
[/quote]

I can't remember what it's called or even where I saw it, but where can I learn the one where like 4 or 5 guys can't push you backwards?
I like the bar bet that uses a book of matches and a nickel. Remove one match from the book, bend one out of the book, and balance them with their heads touching with the nickel under the free match to look something like this: _/\ (in my diagram the underscore is the matchbook. The two matches form a sort of teepee and the nickel is under the free match.) Bet the mark he cannot take the nickel out from underneath the match without it falling over. When he gives up simply take another match from another book of matches, light it, and ignite the two match heads that are touching. This fuses the match heads together and the nickel can be EASILY slid out from under the match without it falling over because it's now attached to the other match! Tons of free drinks with this one.
I really, really, really like the old "do as I do" with a shot. The best part is that after you trick someone with it, you can get them again the following week by spitting twice.
Lets keep things simply shall we.

Jump over a line (toes start against the line and heels have to clear the other side after the jump)
there are no obstacles in the way, no-one puts the mark off (eg. pushing them to make them fall over)
Its just a line on the floor.

BUT

the mark must hold their big toes throughout the jump and CAN NOT let go.
seems easy?! Try it smart arse.
This is mine:

handles the mark a deck of cards,then turn your back and let him decide to take a card or not:if he does should not tell you(so it has to hide the card).
Then you bet can check if the cards are all there by just giving the deck a shuffle with a waterfall and see with you eyes every single card.

Do you already know how it's done ?
These post are great I hope it continues
I remember once I was doing all sorts of ITR levitations. I then moved onto other material, but one guy was obsessed with the levitations... and I ended up betting in his $20 bill that I could make it float.

I then scrunched it up and put it in his beer. Sure enough, it floated :)

The (wet) $20 was nothing compared to the laughs it got!
I knew about 1/3 of these- I've got a book called "100 Ways to win a 10 Spot", by Paul Zenon. Naturally, some are pretty good, while others aren't. Same thing with this thread, obviously.
My favorite is this one: Buy a shot and a beer. Tell the person that you can finish your beer quicker than the person can finish their shot. Just two conditions 1: You cannot touch the other personís glass, 2: I get to go first. Well you take your time and you finish your beer. When placing your beer back down turn the face upside down and put it over the shot. Now just wait until enough time has passed and collect your reward.
I love the con/bet where you talk about your impressive powers of persuasion and that you bet your can talk somebody into getting down off a chair before you walk around it 3 times. Simply jabber on as you slowly walk around the chair twice then simply say thanks very much and leave. Gets great laughs from everybody watching.
Fast Eddie Felson was putting on a trick pool shot demo in the 1980's at our local VFW in South TX. I watched in amazement as Eddie never missed a shot during the whole demo. Between trick pool shots he would do magic tricks which always seemed to involve the crowd surrounding him and followed a theme (very professional). It was a fantastic show. At then end he visited with us so I took my shot... Could I, a 24 year old, out hustle "The Hustler"? I bet Fast Eddie $1.00 I could toss up a paper match and it would land on it's side. He fell for it and so I bent the match and tossed it on the table... I won, I felt great winning that dollar on a bet with the Master Hustler. But then he came back at me with dropping a playing card from shoulder height to the floor and it land on (touching) a card he had placed on the floor. I knew how that one was done but everyone was watching the Master Hustler at work and so I took him up on the bet and flubbed it so he could take back center stage. Everyone had a ball when he let the card fall flat faced which of course allowed it to land on the other card. Fast Eddie worked these little events with his lovely wife until his passing a few years later. It was still a great memory for me. I know there is issue with who's who with Fast Eddie, but this guy was smooth as silk.
[quote]
On 2006-01-25 11:56, Reis O'Brien wrote:
This is one I like. Order a shot of something. Take a napkin, unfold it and then lay it over the full shotglass. Tell the mark that you can drink the entire contents of the glass without touching the napkin. Bet a little cash on it. Then, make a big swallowing motion, you know... gulp! Ahhhhhh! Then say, "There, I did it." Of course they will tell you that you're a big fat liar. Say, "Go ahead and look for yourself," pointing at the napkin covering the shot glass. Whn they lift the napkin off of the glass, quickly grab the glass and drink it down. Then, as they sit there with the napkin in their hand, looking at the now empty glass, say, "See? Told ya."

Collect your money and then leave the bar quickly!
[/quote]

Harry Anderson in his book " games you can't lose a guide for suckers" tells how he used this (but using his fedora instead... of course!) and got 3 free drinks.
There was a UK TV show called the real hustle. In every episode they did a betcha. I'm sure google or youtube would show all of these bets.
One I will add from my high school days. When someone is smoking a cigarette and are almost finished you say "I bet you cant inhale until the cig says Winfield (or whatever brand they're smoking). This obviously only works if the brand name is printed on the cig near the butt. When they successfully do this tell them cigs can't talk. I know my wording isn't the best but I'm sure you get the idea.
Can't believe I actually got someone with this (it's all in the intonation) from a TV show:

"Betcha I can get your hands to turn over without touching them"
"O.K? Put hands out like this ..."
"No, the other way up .."
Smile.
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Jan 7, 2014 09:34PM)
I love the 5 wrong answers game.

You ask 5 simple questions they have to give a wrong answer to each question.
if they give one correct answer they lose.

how many days in a week? they say 10
how many letters in the alphabet? they say 20
who is the American president? they say Mickey Mouse

pause then innocently ask..
how questions was that?
most people will say 3 and lose the bet.

if they are smart they might look smug and say something like 7
you laugh and look resigned to the fact you lost.
then you say "you have played this game before haven't you?" they reply "No" and you get your final gotcha.
The 5 wrong answers game is brilliant.

Regards,
Mike
Loving the pool ball!
This one :)
Priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoypZyibQro

- Yazz
For me, it has to be Nim. There's just [url=http://headinside.blogspot.com/search/label/nim]so much variety and creativity possible[/url] with just that one game. It's also a good exercise in thinking things through.
[quote]On Jul 17, 2007, Silvertongue wrote:
A couple of my faves are the 5 question bet, I do some mindreading so I enjoy doing the 'no' trick on the skeptics... its where you tell the mark they have the ability to read minds, they disagree and of coarse they want to make you look like a fool so they accept... "i shall write a word on this card, no one will see it and it is for you to read my mind and tell me what it is"... "sound fair enough? $20 bet?" you ask them " o.k. lets try, er do you know whats written on the card?" they will say "no" because they don't, and on the back of the card is written the word NO... $$$ cha ching $$$ [/quote]
or if you want a real miracle you could use a nail writer.
My favorite is betting that I can drop an egg six feet without it breaking no matter what surface it lands on - wooden floor, concrete floor, steaming hot highway, ice rink, whatever. The egg is normal, not hard-boiled or prepared in any other way.

What you do is hold it over your head and let it go. As long as you're tall enough (even on heels or a chair) to the point where the egg is six feet, one inch before you drop it, you win. The egg will splatter all over the place when it lands, but before splattage occurs it will have dropped six feet without breaking.
I played a game of 8ball with a good player and was losing badly, 5 balls to his 3. I finally got a shot....I sized up the table and after a pause bet him a pint he wouldnt get another shot that game!! I took one shot and the bar erupted with laughter and jeers!

If you know this one it really does work like a charm!!!
[quote]On Sep 22, 2014, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
I played a game of 8ball with a good player and was losing badly, 5 balls to his 3. I finally got a shot....I sized up the table and after a pause bet him a pint he wouldnt get another shot that game!! I took one shot and the bar erupted with laughter and jeers!

If you know this one it really does work like a charm!!! [/quote]

Not a steady pool-player; this one took me a minute. Charming.
There was a TED talk by a magician (I assume relatively recently) whereby his opening line was along thelines of:

"I'm going to make a bet with each and every one of you. I bet that in my pocket I have something that no one has ever seen before, and I canguarentee no one will see again."

Can you guess what is was?

A peanut.

The most it's ever gotten me was a marshmallow.
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Sep 13, 2015 06:32PM)
I bet I can say 100 different words that do NOT contain the letter 'A' before you can count to 100 ?

him: one, two, three, four, five, six....
me: (starting a few seconds later but much faster than him) one, two, three, four, five.....
I like:

Bet you 50p I can drink your shot and then make it return to the glass
Bet you the next card I turn over is your card
Bet you I can say the name on the paper
Bet you I can roll this pool ball under the cue
Bet you you can't do what I do with this shot and this napkin ball
This has become my new favourite thread! its making me dust off the old books I have on bar bets and hustles and give them a re read through.
Yeah, at the right time a bar bet is great fun! :)
There is a fine line between coming across as the cool and fun person and coming across as the arrogant show off! the right time and audience are essential for full success.
[quote]On Jan 24, 2006, chichi711 wrote:
The trick where you say. I'll bet you 10 bucks the next card I turn over will be your card. Suckers take that bet everytime. [/quote]

I taught this trick to my 3 year old and 5 year old granddaughters and they swindled every kid on the block out of their allowance, even the Baptist kid whose family didn't believe in playing cards. When caught with a bunch of money, their Mom made them give back all the money except for the $20 they swindled from their other grandfather (a lawyer) who was going to teach them a lesson in betting. She also forbid me to teach them any more magic. Seems they were working as a team. The older girl was doing the trick right by keeping the card on the deck and nobody would bet. The younger one was laying the card face up on the discard stack, while touching the deck to mentally indicate that card would be the next card. Everyone thought she had made a mistake and that's when the bets went down. She simply reached down and turned the face up card over and collected her money. I laugh every time I think of a 3 year old and a 5 year old, neither being able to shuffle the cards, scamming a lawyer out of $20. His wife told him not to bet but he said he knew what he was doing.... Priceless!
This is probably my all time favorite. You put a book on the table along with a penny or dime or really any coin. I bet I can put the coin on the book without touching the book, the coin, or the table. Plus you cannot use anything to touch the coin, book or table. And for the record, no one else can touch anything.

Best

Steve
[quote]On Mar 3, 2018, Steven Conner wrote:
This is probably my all time favorite. You put a book on the table along with a penny or dime or really any coin. I bet I can put the coin on the book without touching the book, the coin, or the table. Plus you cannot use anything to touch the coin, book or table. And for the record, no one else can touch anything.

Best

Steve [/quote]
Not aware of that one
[quote]On May 7, 2006, KaydoWhoa wrote:
Put 20 bucks in a matchbox then they put 20 bucks in the same matchbox. After one min. of talking about the $40.00 in the matchbox... sell it to them for $30.00 [/quote]

I like the premise of this one but would do it differently.

Sell it as an auction that cost $1 to play. Have 10 people put in $1 and you put in $20. Rule is that 'I' only get to place 1 bit and can't rebid. The other players can bid as much as they like. I'll bid $20. The other with only $1 worth of skin in the game will see the chance to make a quick profit. I believe the mindset of only losing a dollar will detract from the scam itself. No matter how it plays out you will always make a profit.

Rinse and repeat.
Spread the deck face up and put the two red queens in the center of the deck with no other card between them. Show this clearly to be the case. As you turn the deck face down, your little pinky break between the queens enable you to turn the bottom half of the face up deck face down while turning the top half of the face up deck face down on the bottom half of the deck. I make this move as Iím carrying the deck to some distant location in the room so I canít mess with the deck. The mark names any card in the deck, besides one of the queens, and I bet him that I have just caused the card he named to now be between the two red queens. Of course I win since the way I turned the deck, one queen ended on top and one on the bottom. All the cards are between the queens. I canít lose.
Diamond Jim Tyler has a series of small books he calls "Bamboozlers" that are very clever. One of my favorites is betting that the sucker can't count from 10 to 1 backwards in less than 10 seconds; you specify that doesn't mean he can face the other direction and count normally, he has to actually count from 10 to 1 backwards in less than 10 seconds
Another favorite which works well as a follow up if you've already won a bar bet is to suggest that the sucker can't answer three questions with the bet being the amount you've already won. You indicate that this bet doesn't sound fair since you might ask something like, what was President Millard Fillmore's middle name which he probably is unlikely to know, so you tell him the correct answer to all three questions is "a wadded up paper napkin." If he answer's anything other than "a wadded up paper napkin" he loses. If he doesn't answer at all he also loses. You are guaranteed to win the amount bet!
Simon Lovell has a bar betchas dvd I really like the betcha where you bet against the height of glass vs the circumference of the glass.
The billiard ball for bad people is very funny (minus the part where they go to the hospital ) but they are evil so I guess it's ok but getting desperate ppl to burn themselves for money is wrong