(Close Window)
Topic: Misdirection
They tend to feel me dip into the pocket for the wallet or the cell phone. Any suggestions besides... be smoother?

Helpful misdirection?

Thanks

Jester
Try an engagin trick where you are physically touching them. This will distract them from the pressure in their back pocket. I don't know if you know this, but try poking your self on one leg and hitting your other leg with a fist. You'll only feel the punch. This is what an engagin trick does. They don't feel you reach in, and they're too engaged in the trick to even think about anything else.

Ali

P.S. Sorry if you knew all this.
Ya, that's my suggestion too. I am most certainly not the best at pickpocketing, but I do know that that method works well. You just have to be good at it.
Thank you very much. The both of you.

I am not to big of fan of byrd and coats so... any other pickpocket material would be great.

Thanks a million.

Jester
Is Theatrical pickpocketing any good?
Theatrical pickpocketing is a great book and contains a wealth of information on the subject. As well as learning the steals, there is a lot of great stuff on misdirection, getting caught, volunteers etc.
Stealing the Show by James Freedman. James has earned himself the title "The Man Of Steal" and he has performed for the PM Tony Blair. His excellent dvd can be found here and because its over 20 it's free p 'n' p world wide

[url=http://www.magictricks.co.uk/?affid=57731]here it is[/url]

Ali
Ah Well I seem to forget who told me this but I can tell you it works, If you want to do it with out being detected. About 5 years ago I was putting together my 12 minute pickpocket act and I really didn't know how to practice. It isn't like magic were you can practice the moves and routine till it is polished. Well at least that is what I thought. Then a friend of mine said call this guy he will help you. So I did, Sad but I forgot the guys name...LOL Anyway here is what he told me. Go buy a maniqiun(spelling?) and buy 8 bells...Thats right bells, put a pair of pants on on your dummy..LOL just wanted to say dummy...put on a shirt a tie and a belt. Load each pocket with wallets,phones, cigs, ect. Now pin the bells to the aread near each pocket. Now comes the fun part...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE Till you can get everything out of there with out a single bell jingling. It will take a while but trust me it is well worth it. I have now been doing that 12 minute act for the last 4 years and I have only been caught a few times during my act. But not because of my technique but because of other reasons. It will make you have a very very light touch. Anyway good luck and remember the key to this is to study and to practice.

tpdmagic
Was he called Fagan?
[quote]
On 2006-01-28 08:11, B Freeman wrote:
Was he called Fagan?
[/quote]

I really don't remember, I wish I did. It seems to be a great method of practicing though and I highly recomend it to anyone getting into this art.

tpdmagic
Tpdmagic, could you please give me some tips? Why are you so good? Whats your secret? (I posted some techniques on the derren brown video topic on the pick-pocketting section, am I missing something?)
You must be confident. You should be ascomfortable with pickpocketing as you are tying your shoe laces. If you feel uncomfortable or reserved touching other people (that includes showing you're nervous) then you will give out clues. You will not make the dip unless you are at ease. First of all try boosting confidence with easy steals such as a hankercheif from the breast pocket, or stealing from an outside jacket pocket with lots of cover. I'm sure once you have stolen one watch it will give you the confidence to steal lots more.

Ali
Thank you friend...

Jester
Well, I got confidence, I got no problem touching people in ways they've never been touched before so what can I say? Do it with people you don't know in public/ noisy environments with lots of distraction going on??????????
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! You may have already practiced untill you're blue in the face, but keep doing so until you can make a steal. DO you have the book "How to pickpockets for fun and prfit"? If not I highly suggest that you pick it up (no pun intended). It covers misdirection and the theory behind it in good detail.

Ali
Hmmm....ok
WHAT kind of misdirection and theories? Tell me exactly so I know whether to buy it or not (please please)
[quote]
On 2006-02-25 19:52, Nickelby wrote:
WHAT kind of misdirection and theories? Tell me exactly so I know whether to buy it or not (please please)
[/quote]

Exactly, nope because that be exposure. Here are some that should get wanting more.

If your teacher is talking and you get up, shout something louder than what they are saying and then walk out the room, everybody will look at you.

A big motion covers a small motion.

These are a few, there are many many more plus more indepth ideas.

Ali
Sorry I wasn't exactly looking for exposure (even though that would have been nice), just some general ideas about misdirection that I may not have heard about (but not a full explanation of them)
Hopefully the things I mentioned made you want to buy the book. I would suggest that you do considering that it's about 5

Ali
Hehehehe...ye at the moment I have about 300 pounds worth of things that I want to buy and I only have 7 pounds in my drawer!!!!!

Looks like I'm a long way from attending a 2000 dollar seminar in hypnosis too!

Man I gotta get a car and start performing.
What book?
"How to pick pok=ckets for fun and profit" written by Eddie Joseph

Ali
Which do you think is better... Theatrical PP. Or How to pick pockets... Jim Ravel or Eddie Joseph
Well, Eddie Joseph's book is really just a little guide, but goes into great detail about watch stealing. Seeing as H 2 PP 4 F 'n' P is only 5, I'd get that aswell as Jim Ravel's book.

Ali

P.S. I do not have Jim's book, I am purely going by all of the fatastic hype I have heard
Thanks you ... Brother
One thing I would like to add is this. No ones technique will work for you as well as your own. You are looking to all of these sources to show you how to do it, almost like spelling it out for you. This will not work in fact you will have so many people telling you how to do it and no clear cut way to do it yourself. This is not to say that you should not listen to the experts but how do you think they became experts, surly not by buying all the books and videos they could get there hands on. So go out and figure it out.

It almost sounds to me like someone may be looking for a selfworking pickpocketing technique or the best technique out there and there is not one. The one that works best is the one you figure out yourself.

I will tell you the best book on picking pockets is not a magic book nor is it related to magic.