(Close Window)
Topic: Magic on Mythbusters tonight?
The Mythbusters are going to be looking at the myth of catching a bullet in your teeth. I really can't see this episode not having references, after all, the bullet catch is a classic.

It will be kind of interesting to see their take on it.
It's not on tonight at all.

???
Er, haha...my mistake, I think I was looking at TVguide.com and had it on Wednesday, had to see if lost was new this week ;)
Supposedly Criss Angel did this using a metal contraption around his mouth..all real..episode did not air...
Yeah I've seen the episode. It actually gets pretty in depth...the results are exactly what you'd expect!
Not the Criss Angel episode...let me clarify. Hah! I mean the Mythbusters episode where they test the bullet catch myth.
[quote]
On 2006-02-15 06:37, Godel wrote:
Supposedly Criss Angel did this using a metal contraption around his mouth..all real..episode did not air...
[/quote]

I'm seem to remember a woman magician in New York City who did a bullet catch with some contraption strapped on her mouth. I can't remember the woman's name, but she helped run the Magic Town House if that's any help.
Dorothy Dietrich maybe?

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
[quote]
On 2006-02-15 21:45, Stanyon wrote:
Dorothy Dietrich maybe?

FWIW

Cheers! ;)

[/quote]

YES! Thank you, that was going to drive me nuts! (Fortunately, considering the price of gas these days, that would probably be a short journey!) :lol:
I hear there was one guy who did the bullet catch for real as well, using a contraption. He did it successfully, with the ocassional injury. Eventually he retired from that and became a balloon artist for Disney. I think I remember reading that his version of Goofy's head took 14 balloons and included teeth!

Anyone know of him?

Kevin
Well in the Mythbusters episode no matter what contraptions they tried, the bullet always split into a zillion pieces of shrapnel upon contact, even with perfect timing.

OUCH!

;)
"I hear there was one guy who did the bullet catch for real as well, using a contraption. He did it successfully, with the ocassional injury."

"CATCH" is a relitive term here, as I remember he had a metal tube or box that fit into his mouth and he had someone fire a 22 caliber into the tube that was being held in his mouth. Now, do not get me wrong this is a VERY dangorous trick and I would not do it (especialy if the wife was doing the shooting) for any amount of money, unless the guy on The American Shooter who does all the trick shots and there was 100 million on the line.

Any way it is not a CATCH but more of a STOPPING of the bullet.

TGS
I read somewhere that in years pass, magicians used to really catch bullets with their teeth (i think in magic illustrated)

They reduced the speed by placing 2 glass panels in front of the gun, some distance apart. To the audience, they get to see the bullet being actually fired, to the magician, it is to reduce the speed. Quite innovative but highly dangerous.

What happens if the bullet is not aimed at the teeth?
I kinda wish they would have exposed Penn and Tellers bullet catching trick. I'm dead set against exposure, but it would serve these clowns right.
??? What makes them Clowns?
[quote]
On 2006-02-20 19:50, Daegs wrote:
[/quote]

Penn does have very large feet...

TGS
[quote]
[/quote]

Cause you not allowed to say a****les at the Café!
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 18:51, Bill wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Geez, here we go again
To save us all some time I'll fill in the inevitable string of posts that will follow.

[quote]
Bill wrote:

Their Jerks

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

No they're not

[/quote]

[quote]
Bill wrote:

Are to

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

Are not

[/quote]

[quote]
Bill wrote:

To

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

Not

[/quote]

[quote]

Thread Locked

[/quote]

Makes one wish for a mouthcoil debate with Marcucci
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 19:30, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 18:51, Bill wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Geez, here we go again
To save us all some time I'll fill in the inevitable string of posts that will follow.

[quote]
Bill wrote:

Their Jerks

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

No they're not

[/quote]

[quote]
Bill wrote:

Are to

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

Are not

[/quote]

[quote]
Bill wrote:

To

[/quote]

[quote]
PennFan wrote:

Not

[/quote]

[quote]

Thread Locked

[/quote]

Makes one wish for a mouthcoil debate with Marcucci
[/quote]

I nominate this for Post of the Week!!!

LOL
ROTFLMAO!!!!
I second the Nomination
Ok bill, that one has me, ROTFLMAO?
Rolling on the floor laughing my A** off
I know it is kinda of the point but it someone stands accross the room and tosses a bullet at me I can catch it in my mouth but not with my teeth. I did it four times and by accident swallowed one so I am of to the store to purchase some laxatives. Back in a while.
Before I go you can add my vote to the nomination.
Believe it or not, I was contacted by Mythbusters at my place of work and asked several questions about different apparatus used in the illusion.( I work for a special effects comapny)I explained that there were several ways of doing it but I didn't want to get into eaxact details. I was very skeptical that anyone doing this episode wouldnt be exposing the bit. The lady I talked too assured me that this was not their intention , but rather to educate about man's ability to catch a bullet and that they were going to build some sort of big jaws or robotic contraption to demo it and then have a magician perform the illusion. She asked if I had ever performed it and if I wouldbe ineterested in doing it. I declined. All I could see was flash backs of that idiot Flambino, Valentia, El Stupido or whatever his name was. Did anyone see it? was it potrayed as an illusion and is the secret safe?
Mythbusters portrayed the effect as fact...the actual act of catching a fully charged bullet between the teeth. They focused on timing...by trying to snatch paintballs fired at them. Then they focused on the act of physically catching a bullet between the teeth by using a pig skull & jaw hooked to a manually and computer-operated pneumatic system. They closed using genuine dentures and solid steel teeth & jaw. In every experiment they used full charge lead and copper jacketed rounds. It was interesting to watch, but they approached the entire theory as a physics challenge rather than a magic illusion. In fact, the "illusion" of catching a bullet was only very briefly touched on and then only in passing. I actually found it one of their most boring episodes...and I love the Mythbusters...and the "secrets" remain untarnished.
I agree about the episode being boring Skip. The two original 'mythbusters' weren't even the ones that tested the myth, instead they handed it off to the younger members of the crew. I guess it wasn't worth their time!
The woman from New York's Magic Towne House mentioned above was Dorothy Dietrich. She did do the bullet catch in a special metal cup several times under test conditions. That is rifle inspected, bullets purchased and brought in under guard by a committee, bullet picked out by them, placed by them in the rifle and fired through a pane of glass that was also inspected along with its holder. There is a chapter on her in Ben Robinson's "Thirteen have Died" the story of the bullet catch. Photos can be found at http://BulletCatch.com and http://Houdini.org

She did it for the yearly International Brotherhood of Magicians Convention, once for Donald Trump's anniversary of the opening of Atlantic City Resorts International. Once for "You Asked For It" with Rich Little, and once for the CBC TV in Canada for one of three performances on "Autobus du Canada" from Montreal. Some of these samw performances also appeared on "Just For The Record. the best of everything," Montel Williams, and many local and national newscasts. Possibly also on Evening Magazine and Real People.

She is currently running and performing at the Houdini Museum in Scranton, and performs for trade shows, industrials, private events.

You can get more info on wikopedia, and she is mentiioned in Columbia University Press Encylopedia as one of the most notable magicians of the late 20th century along with Harry Blackstone, Jr, Doug Henning, Siegfried and Roy, David Copperfield and several others.

Dick Brooks
I think the bullet catch using real bullets really be fired at them should be done by those heavily into self levitations.
Steve V
For those who may be interested, the title of the book by Ben Robinson is "Twelve Have Died". It does have a chapter entitled "WomEN Who Dared".

Tina Skenes