(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Bannon routine?
What is your favorite Bannon routine with cards?

Mine would have to be Timely Departure. It's impromptu, self-working and just about impossible. You can't ask for much more.
Degrees of Freedom - It looks impossible when performed, you even fool yourself with this effect to some degree, still it's almost self-working.

Peo
I just love how Power of Poker performs. What a great trick!

I'm also partial to Dead Reckoning!
I love "Shock Treatment"...I used to perform that one all the time. The ending is where a person's thought of card is sticking out of your pocket.

:) Kaylan
Twisted Sisters
Stranger Gallery
Degree of Freedom (although the ending for Dutch people isn't good because they don't know poker)
Beyond Fabulous
The Power of Poker
Degrees of Freedom and Twisted Sister for sure. He has so much good stuff though
Sorry to be predictable - but Twisted Sisters and Degrees of Freedom here too!

(Dead Reckoning would get the vote if I could only cut to the joker everytime!)
Twisted Sisters
Heart of the City...
Detour DeForce
Mascarade
Tattoo You
[b]8 Ball Surprise[/b]
Stranger's Gallery
Play It Straight Triumph
The Power of Poker (I haven't read the effect, but Jon Armstrong showed me the trick)

Cheers,
mackmania

P.S. Did I mention Bannon is probably my favorite card man?
Lessons are extra
Play it straight
The whole Bullet Train ace routine from DMF.
I could probably keep going for a while, John Bannon is my favorite card man, so I use a lot of his stuff.

His non-card stuff is great too, his 2 ahead matrix and chop˛ routines are some of my favorite close-up stuff to perform :)
The first time I saw play it straight triumph I almost crapped myself.

What a brilliant routine.
John Bannon is just brilliant. ;)
Play it Straight Triumph for me to. I really like his approach to magic.

-Buddy
Call of the wild
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 08:47, Steve D wrote:
8 BALL SUPRISE
[/quote]

I think this is referring to Trick Shot Production from Smoke and Mirrors.

I think this is my favorite too.
Play it Straight Truimph.
Another vote for Play It Straight (Triumph) as my favorite Bannon trick.

Beyond Fabulous and Dead Reckoning are also quite charming.
While I love Power of Poker, Dead Reckoning, and many of the above, I would have to say that Final Verdict is my all time favorite Bannon effect: maybe even card effect. The spectator cuts the aces never looked better. It is the most sleight free and clean application of the plot Iv'e ever seen. Everything about it looks brilliant starting with the two shuffles at the beginning followed by the truely 4 free cuts. And as a climax, well climax to a magician, the spectator themselves can turn over the cut to cards. No switching or fiddling of any kind. John Bannon even says this truely is one of his all time favorites, I'll agree.

Cheers,

Ron
Play it straight is a great version of Triumph effect, very nice to be performed after Triumph by D Vernon (higher in the suprise !)

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Wait until dark. It kills ! That's a great version of a S Aronson effect Shufflebored. My favourite trick learnt in 2006 ! Degrees of freedom comes next.

:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
[quote]On 2006-02-02 00:22, Peo Olsson wrote:
Degrees of Freedom . . . you even fool yourself . . . to some degree . . . .[/quote]
That's a good one: [b][i]to some degree[/i][/b]. ;)

I included [b][i]Return of the Magnificent Seven[/i][/b] in the routine I used for my audition to the Magic Castle.
No one likes timely departure except me? Wow, And I thouhgt that was going to be a sure winner.

Another really good (and amazingly overlooked!!) routine he has is boogie woogie aces in smoke and mirrors. It's a really direct jazz aces with a nice kicker ending.
I'll second the Bullet Train sequence, but I honestly liked it so much that I haven't read any further in the book yet!
Power of Poker, Last Man Standing, Dawn Patrol....practically everyting in Dear Mr. Fantasy. Honestly, I didn't do much if his work except Twisted Sisters until I got his new book....now I love all of it. Great stuff. The Last Man Standing routine with the Jennings/Goodwin display, is just perfect. No table, convincing display, well sequenced and all around clean. The only version of Triumph I do now...

Jonathan
I love "The Bullet Train" routine & "Last Man Standing" from DMF and "Play it Staight(Triumph)", "Discrepancy City Prediction", "'Twixt The Devil" & "A Little T, T, & A" from Impossibilia. I've yet to find a copy of "Smoke & Mirrors". Is it OOP?
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
[quote]On 2006-02-02 15:18, Noel D wrote:
No one likes timely departure except me? Wow, And I thouhgt that was going to be a sure winner.[/quote]
I, for one, also enjoy performing [b][i]Timely Departure[/i][/b].
Twisted Sisters
Return of the Magnificent Seven
Timely Departure
Discrepancy City Prediction
Heart of the City

These top the list but he's got a whole bunch of brilliant routines in print. There aren't many authors you can count on for so many real workers.
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 16:28, KRZ4kardz wrote:
I love "The Bullet Train" routine & "Last Man Standing" from DMF and "Play it Staight (Triumph)", "Discrepancy City Prediction", "'Twixt The Devil" & "A Little T, T, & A" from Impossibilia. I've yet to find a copy of "Smoke & Mirrors". Is it OOP?
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
[/quote]
It was out of print, but it has recently been re-printed.
You can check it out here: [url=http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3370]elmwoodmagic.com[/url]
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 17:18, kruel wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 16:28, KRZ4kardz wrote:
I love "The Bullet Train" routine & "Last Man Standing" from DMF and "Play it Staight(Triumph)", "Discrepancy City Prediction", "'Twixt The Devil" & "A Little T, T, & A" from Impossibilia. I've yet to find a copy of "Smoke & Mirrors". Is it OOP?
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
[/quote]
It was out of print, but it has recently been re-printed.
You can check it out here: [url=http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3370]elmwoodmagic.com[/url]
[/quote]
Or you can get it for even cheaper here
[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/smoke-and-mirrors-book-by-john-bannon-p-1733.html]mjmmagic.com[/url]
Hey, thanks Kruel/Noel D for the heads up!
:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes: :banana:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
In Order from Very Best to Best are...

1 & 2 Tie : Detour De Force, Tattoo You. I mean a DOUBLE Prediction that cancels each other out, and a effect where the back changes "After" the Spec signs it. I mean come on peeps...lol!!!

3. Play it Straight Triumph

Ed, (Eddini).
Heart Of The City
Timely Departure
Final Verdict +++

Bannon is just great!
Dead Reckoning, Wait Until Dark, Final Verdict -- all from "Dear Mr. Fantasy." I picked up that book first and am now going through "Smoke and Mirrors," which I know many people like better, but so far I haven't found a routine in it that I like as much as the above three. I also like "Last Man Standing."
Timely Departure,the chop cup routine and the one coin routine.
AJ
Timely Departure
Heart of the City
Wait Until Dark
I've had some fun with a lot of Bannon's routine. Particular favorites include Last Man Standing, The Power of Poker, Final Verdict, Play it Straight Triumph, and Timely Departure!
Play it straight triumph, Bullet train aces, boogiw woogie aces, and power of poker give me creamy pants, left, center, and right. Hands down.
Timely departure!

msc455magic
Timely departure!!!

love it... bannon is genius
Tattoo You, Heart of the City, Play it Straight, Fat City, Twilight Zone Assembly, and the reverse matrix with 2 cards in Impossiblia. And others.
I love so many...The ones that I perform the most are:
-Stranger's Gallery
-Play-It-Straight Triumph
-Fat City
-Degrees of Freedom
-Tattoo You (don't really perform this one for laymen, but I love the concept)
Wow, a lot of people have named "Play it Straight Triumph." I've seen Michael Ammar do it on one of the volumes of Easy to Master Card Miracles, but I didn't think it'd be that strong on the spectators. Wouldn't they be able to figure it out quite easily?
I actually used "Play It Straight Triumph" to a couple yesterday, and as expected, the reactions were huge. The girl giggled in delight while the guy had the look of disbelief and laughter overcame him. It certainly fooled them and was a highlight for me.
I'll be receiving "Dear Mr. Fantasy" this afternoon. Can't wait to learn some of these routines! :)
I searched for John Bannon on google and found this web:
http://www.johnbannonmagic.com/
-Play it Straight (Triumph)
-Heart of the City
-Vicious Rumors
-Trait Secrets
-Final Verdict
-Dead Reckoning
-Last Man Standing

However, my favorite of all is probably Beyond Fabulous. The Mark of the Fabulous variation is also strong.
Detour DeForce
Tattoo you
[quote]
On 2006-08-20 18:36, TheFortitude wrote:
Wow, a lot of people have named "Play it Straight Triumph." I've seen Michael Ammar do it on one of the volumes of Easy to Master Card Miracles, but I didn't think it'd be that strong on the spectators. Wouldn't they be able to figure it out quite easily?
[/quote]

How would they be able to figure it out?
I love Degrees of Freedom. I've performed it numerous times and it simply blows people away. As far as the comment about it not being effective to non-poker players...well, it's not necessarily set up for a poker hand, but merely finding one particular suit. The first time I did it, it freaked me out so much I threw my cards.

-Corey
[quote]
On 2006-08-24 13:24, fonda57 wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-08-20 18:36, TheFortitude wrote:
[/quote]

The first time I saw it I got it. The cards are shuffled together, undoubtedly face up into face down. At the end, the spades (or whatever suit) was the only suit reversed. I guess for me, the method hit me right away, being a magician. I perform for a lot of smart people, so I tend to avoid routines that are virtually self-working. Play it Straight Triumph does appeal to me, but I'm afraid that the method will be too transparent.

-David

How would they be able to figure it out?
[/quote]
There's nothing better than people who've never performed a routine declaring that the method is far too easy for a lay audience to discern. I have performed Play It Straight for ten years and not only have I never had an audience figure it out, I have seen this effect hit people harder than any other trick I perform. Remember that
1) audiences don't understand the principles behind Triumph routines
2) their selection seems ultra-fair
3) magicians are required to have some acting abilities if they want to "sell" a routine

I haven't seen Michael Ammar perform this effect, though I tend to find his performance style to be pretty dull. For that matter, John Bannon doesn't exactly exude charisma, but this routine is a knockout, and if you judge it before you ever perform it, than you will have pleased a lot of other magicians.
[quote]
On 2006-08-21 01:12, silverzer0 wrote:
I'll be receiving "Dear Mr. Fantasy" this afternoon. Can't wait to learn some of these routines! :)
[/quote]

I got it this week and am liking it!!
Got to agree with Shikina on all counts.
And I'd like to add that just because something is self working doesn't mean it is not magical to a lay audience. And just because something involves some extraordinary difficult sleight of hand doesn't mean it will look magical. Its up to the performer.
I have been learning Lessons are extra.
What a nice effect.
Play It Straight
Last Man Standing.
Okay, above I listed several tricks from "Dear Mr. Fantasy" as my favorite Bannons and said I couldn't find anything I liked as much from "Smoke and Mirrors" (which I bought second). Based on everyone above I learned and performed "Tattoo You," which killed. "That one looked like real magic," my wife said. So add that to my list.
Some favorite effects that I forgot to mention, and I don't think anybody else has either, are "Strangers Gallery", and "Twisted Sisters". Those of you who have had success with "Play It Straight" should try whenever possible to do John's preferred sequence of "Strangers Gallery" into "Play It Straight". These two tricks alone, done in sequence, will convince just about any lay audience that you are a cardman of the highest order. God bless John Bannon.
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 15:18, Noel D wrote:
No one likes timely departure except me? Wow, And I thouhgt that was going to be a sure winner.

Another really good (and amazingly overlooked!!) routine he has is boogie woogie aces in smoke and mirrors. It's a really direct jazz aces with a nice kicker ending.
[/quote]

You've got my vote. Timely Departure fools everyone I performed with...
Twisted Sisters, when given the space and thought-out, well-delivered patter it deserves, really is difficult to beat. It complies with the rule of threes, it's got a mental spin, and each climax is progressively more impossible. Great thinking, and great routining.

I agree also with Play It Straight (Triumph). It's one of the routines in my repertoire which produces the strongest reactions. The deck is shuffled so painstakingly fairly in front of the spectators, then you do the impossible....!

Cheers

Chris
I've enjoyed many Bannon effects because they are very easy to do, yet they have a large impact on the audience. Some of my favorites include Twisted Sisters, Play it Straight, and Power of Poker.
Favourites:

Directed Verdict.
Beyond Fabulous
Play it Straight? (Stand up triumph)

I do the first and third of these almost every time I perform.

But there's one in DMF which I call 'The Dundee Effect'. JB doesn't name it or describe the full procedure, but it is easy enough to do. And people love it. It is very funny. that is one of my faves now, not for the looks of amamzement, but for the laughter that it elicits.
What page is "The Dundee Effect' on? I have DMF and would like to look it up.
Dundee effect?

Do you mean the "uncredited ace production" that bannon offers somewhere in the bulet train chapter?

I it's not this, then I have no idea what you're talking about and would love to learn where in the book this is.
I think I remember this reference to the movie as a patter line, possibly involving jumbo cards. Bannon reportedly says, "That's not a card, this is a card." A play on the famous "knife" line. I cringed when I read it.
Yeah, I can't imagine anybody under the age of forty who would even remember Crocodile Dundee lines. That's kind of embarassing.
Play It Straight Triumph without a doubt. Been doing it for years and I always get a great reaction! John Bannon is awesome.

Dre
Everything in Dear Mr. Fantasy!! and of course, just like what everyone else said:

play it straight triumph! the reaction on people's faces are just priceless!
[quote]
On 2006-09-17 11:53, scorch wrote:
Yeah, I can't imagine anybody under the age of forty who would even remember Crocodile Dundee lines. That's kind of embarassing.
[/quote]

A friend of mine would constantly recite that line. This was in grade school and we must've been six or seven. Aronson's third disc on his new series is fine except for an interlude with his puppet alter-ego.
The triumph from DMF!
Me: Hi my name is Vlad. I am a John Bannon junkie
Group: Hello Vlad.

It is true. The man has released some of the best magic in ages. Among my favourite card effects are Outer Limits/Beyond the Pale, Degrees of Freedom, Return of the Magnificent Seven, and the great Timely Departure.

But I also want to say that his non card work has the same genius of structure as well. Perhaps this should break into a seperate thread, i.e., favourite non card John Bannon effect.

Anyhow, Chop2 is one of the best presentations for the Chop Cup I have ever done. It is non confrontational and there is so much built in comedy that the danged thing is almost an act within itself!

John's coin work is also well thought out. Check out that material sometime and try it! I won't clutter the card area with coin stuff but I felt I HAD to mention the non card stuff!

Best,
Vlad
I currentally like his Line of sigit control from Dear Mr. Fantasy. It play's great and I can set up my next trick before I finish it.
Magically,
Theron
Dawn Patrol is one of the strongest, most direct, impossible sandwich effects ever.
Vernon's triumph should never be done w/o following with Play it Straight. (My wife's favorite)
A restaraunt magician could make his living with just Bannon's books and nothing else.

Terry
I like his following routines:

1. Timely Departure
2. Last Man Standing
3. Twisted Sisters
4. Play It Straight Triumph
5. Directed Verdict
6. Beyond Fabulous
7. Dead Reckoning
8. Masquerade

Best,
Andrew Loh
You can't compete with Play It Straight, but I agree with "theron," the line of sight control in DMF is awesome.
The DEAD RECKONING's routine are awesome.. I like them very much.

bullet train is also great.

actually, all bannon's routine are great..!
I like his non-card tricks at least as much as the card tricks.
Actually, reading back through this thread makes you realise what a clever old so-and-so John Bannon is! I mean, we can all take things for granted can't we when we, individually, may perform the odd JB effect. ("Sisters" and "Freedom" for me.) But I looked back over the posts in this thread and realised that there were no less than 34 brilliant effects mentioned. I'm not going to exhaust the list again, but the "Top Ten" were:

1. Play it Straight Triumph 26
2. Timely Departure 13
3. Twisted Sisters 10
4. Degrees of Freedom 8
4. Power of Poker 8
4. Dead Reckoning 8
7. Last Man Standing 7
8. Tattoo You 6
8. Heart of the City 6
10.Final Verdict 5
10.Beyond Fabulous 5

Actually that's eleven, but you cant leave out either of the last two :)

Personally, that leaves me wondering what on earth I've been missing out on with "Play it Straight Triumph" - like one member said here, I wasn't that too amazed by it - but I'm sure gonna revisit it now.

And this guy's a lawyer? Does he actually do any work? :)
My favourites are:
Play it Straight Triumph and Twisted Sisters.
Is Play it Straight Triumph the effect where the ace through king of clubs are the face up cards at the end, with the selection being the missing card?

Was that in his lecture notes?
Beyond Fabulous for me. I do that one quite a lot, very nice. In fact, I like most of the routines from DMF. But BF is my fav.
Power of Poker is incredible. I nominate it for 'best impromptu trick with beer-stained cards handed to you in a bar.'
Nathan,

I'm not sure if "Play It Straight Triumph" was in his lecture notes but it can be found in Impossibilia. And yes, that is the effect you described in your post.

Stranger's Gallery gets my vote for best routine that I use regularly for the lay folk.

GG
Twisted sisters devastates, but you know I agree that just about all of his material is very strong.
[quote]
On 2006-09-17 11:53, scorch wrote:
[/quote]

I'm 20, and I got it :)
I don't understand that Wait until dark (Bannon's version of S Aronson Shufflebored). One of the greatest effect you can have with a deck (even better with a mem deck).
I love Chop2 and Bannon's presentation.
May I ask how you guys get on with the 'Heart of the City' effect, published in Smoke and Mirrors? Is the response you get a strong one. I infer that perhaps it isn't, as there is little mention of this effect within the thread. The key switch (from Marlo) looks good enough when performed fluidly, but do you find that your audience thinks it's just "too perfect", that the signed card comes out of the envelope. Do you think they quickly infer that it must have been switched. I've learned this routine but haven't audience tested yet and was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others. I'd be grateful for your views.

Marcus
I did it once and found it to be "too perfect" and never tried it again.
[quote]
On 2006-12-06 14:06, Marcus001 wrote:
May I ask how you guys get on with the 'Heart of the City' effect, published in Smoke and Mirrors? Is the response you get a strong one. I infer that perhaps it isn't, as there is little mention of this effect within the thread. The key switch (from Marlo) looks good enough when performed fluidly, but do you find that your audience thinks it's just "too perfect", that the signed card comes out of the envelope. Do you think they quickly infer that it must have been switched. I've learned this routine but haven't audience tested yet and was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others. I'd be grateful for your views.

Marcus
[/quote]

Yeah, I would also like to hear what others think. I've recently gone back and started reading this book and am now working on this effect. I think the effect is wonderful, though I haven't audience tested it yet. I don't have a problem with the effect being too perfect and I agree that the Marlo switch is very convincing. But what I am wondering is how the reaction will be to the first test, when the other three queens are revealed. But so far I really like it. Bannon is awesome and I really enjoy his way of thinking about magic.
Erm, Heart of the city. I've done it once and got a great reaction, but I think it seemed too perfect .... for me.

Obviously the effect can be done by producing the card from the box, rather than an envelope, and that makes it look more natural.

I think the Marlo move (as well as the envelope) is a mild turn off ... for us magicians, but probably not for the spectator.

It is one of those effects I keep meaning to perform, but then forget and go straight into the old favorites.
Dead Reckoning and Timely Departure.

There's another sandwich effect from DMF where he apparantly faro-ed the 2 Kings to sandwiched the selected card. My eyes nearly popped out when I tried that..This effect also got me learning the FARO Shuffle.

Alvin
Zing82, the effect is called Dawn Patrol. I also was completely startled by the effect when I first saw it. It's quick and to the point. I don't believe this trick can be reconsturcted by the spectators.
I think Dawn Patrol is more impressive to magicians than lay people. I think a stronger effect, for a lay person, involves the classic action of putting the selection smack dab in the center, riffling down the side of the pack and "catching" the chosen card with the two sandwich cards.
Strangers Gallery
Play it Straight (Triumph) :bikes:
My favorite is Dead Reckoning. I use a modification of his presentation, so it works a little better for me.

Regardless, the trick and presentation is so cleverly constructed, and equally amazing to the spectators.
[quote]
On 2006-12-08 01:59, Cain wrote:
I think Dawn Patrol is more impressive to magicians than lay people.
[/quote]

Dawn Patrol is indeed impressive to magicians, but by varying it slightly, it can be impressive to lay people as well. I mentioned this in another thread. After the faro shuffle, rather than spreading the cards and displaying the sandwiched selection, you can do Joshua Jay's ribbon spread hideout move. In that way, you can show that there is no card yet in between the sandwich cards, square up the deck, and ask for the name of the selection. The spectators still believe that since the selection procedure was very fair, there is no way you can possibly control their card. For this reason, you can spread the cards again and display that their selection has suddenly been sandwiched even though you did nothing. Dawn Patrol is my favourite John Bannon effect.
An interesting suggestion, but why bother? In Darwin Ortiz's "Beyond Sleight of Hand" you can show there is no selection between the sandwich cards AFTER the spectator has SHUFFLED. While I do not have a problem with faros, the Ortiz trick relies on dead simple moves and does not require the special preparation needed for the floating key card.
[quote]
On 2007-08-08 06:11, Cain wrote:
An interesting suggestion, but why bother? In Darwin Ortiz's "Beyond Sleight of Hand" you can show there is no selection between the sandwich cards AFTER the spectator has SHUFFLED. While I do not have a problem with faros, the Ortiz trick relies on dead simple moves and does not require the special preparation needed for the floating key card.
[/quote]

I agree that "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is a strong effect as well, but unlike "Dawn Patrol," it's less impressive to magicians. The selection procedure for Bannon's effect is much more fair. You stated before that "Dawn Patrol" was only impressive to magicians, so I suggested an improvement (I'd like to think) that also makes it impressive to lay people. IMHO, "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is just as strong to laymen because both effects have similar endings, but compared to the fair selection of "Dawn Patrol," it is not as impressive to magicians.
Panimen, where could I learn Joshua Jay's hideout move? Is it in print or DVD?
[quote]
On 2007-08-08 16:37, edh wrote:
Panimen, where could I learn Joshua Jay's hideout move? Is it in print or DVD?
[/quote]

It can be learned from volume 3 of Joshua Jay's "Close Up, Up Close" DVD series, taught for the effect "Trumped Triumph." Darwin Ortiz also teaches the move in his "Scams And Fantasies With Cards" book and videos, under the effects "Pass The Garbage" and "Ultimate Oil And Water." There could be more sources, but these are the only ones that I'm aware of.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 8, 2007 06:29PM)
All good stuff . . . .
[quote]I agree that "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is a strong effect as well, but unlike "Dawn Patrol," it's less impressive to magicians. The selection procedure for Bannon's effect is much more fair. You stated before that "Dawn Patrol" was only impressive to magicians, so I suggested an improvement (I'd like to think) that also makes it impressive to lay people. IMHO, "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is just as strong to laymen because both effects have similar endings, but compared to the fair selection of "Dawn Patrol," it is not as impressive to magicians.
[/quote]

As of this writing I am not familiar with the exact handling of "Dawn Patrol," (DP) but if memory serves the selection procedure is less fair than "Beyond Sleight of Hand" (BSoH) because the spectator cuts less than half the deck, shuffles it, and remembers the top card. BSoH the spec has a free choice. What I do not like about Ortiz's handling (again, recalling from memory) is that he sets the sandwich cards aside, has the selection returned, brings the sandwich cards back to the deck, then takes them away again to allow the spec to shuffle. Simply leaving the cards on top and executing a bluff pass negates all that movement, the spectator chooses the exact spot she wants the card, betrays no movement and then immediately allows the spectator to [i]shuffle[/i], not cut as in DP. It's terrifyingly fair. I'm not sure why I would be interested in fooling magicians, and even still if they recognize the faro then they will think it has math and faro shuffling involved.

I do like your idea about the Jay display. I have been working on an in the hands sandwich that utilizes a couple faros, but still it's not as good as easier, generic sandwiches. More of an amusing side thought.
Not a card trick, but "Action Load" from Imossibilia is the Bannon item that I have used the most over the years - it's been a regular part of my professional repertoire for more than 15 years.

A few people at the top of the page have noted that "Heart of the City" from Smoke and Mirrors has not been mentioned much. I suspect this ties in with the "Was Vernon Wrong?" thread that is very close to this one, about Vernon's statement that an effect should ideally be describable in one sentence. My theory about "Heart of the City" is that it is not performed much because the effect is not direct enough for most audiences. You start off by showing an envelope, then you ignore that and have a card signed and retured, then you ignore the signed card and do a different trick that doesn't involve it ... There is just too much other stuff you have to do in order to reach the "real" effect of signed card appearing in the envelope.
Dead Reckoning and Bullet Train.
I have also started playing around with LESSONS ARE EXTRA.
IMHO, it is a very entertaining POKER demonstration with subtle humor added.
Even the 1st phase where you openly show how you stack the kings is mind blowing plus it visual with a touch of humor.... of course...X's are wild, well, real magicians don't use wild cards.
The second phase, you get the 4 aces and same 5th card you got with the kings.
Again, nice added humor if you were off a little, ou might get no kings at all then you reveal.
Finally, in phase 3 you claim you'll deal a partner the kings. You end up dealing them only 3 because you needed one for your royale flush.
A great routine. Seems impossible to do and the one liners make it fun to watch.
Play iy Straight
Last Man Standing, Dead Reckoning, Degrees of Freedom (or an adaptation of it). Three wonderful effects that I do from one little book. (And the book has other great stuff, e.g., Line of Sight.)
Cain, I want you to understand that I agree that Darwin Ortiz's "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is indeed a great effect. I merely mentioned the addition of the ribbon spread hideout (which Joshua Jay actually credits to Charles Nyquest) as an "improvement" to John Bannon's "Dawn Patrol."

[quote]
On 2007-08-08 06:11, Cain wrote:
An interesting suggestion, but why bother?
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2007-08-09 03:27, Cain wrote:
As of this writing I am not familiar with the exact handling of "Dawn Patrol," (DP) but if memory serves the selection procedure is less fair than "Beyond Sleight of Hand"...
[/quote]

I understand that you find the handling of Darwin Ortiz's effect much fairer but others, like myself, may think otherwise. I'm not here to debate that. I posted about the ribbon spread hideout move because I enjoy the handling of Bannon's effect and wanted to share an optional little "improvement." I don't want people who already use the effect to be discouraged because "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is (in your opinion) better. I just want them to be aware that there is an addition to "Dawn Patrol" that can possibly bring upon stronger reactions from laymen. You find the handling of BSOH fairer and that's fine by me. But other people, like me, may prefer the handling of DP so I don't want them to discard this effect because of your post.

In relation to the original topic, I always enjoy performing John Bannon's "Play It Straight (Triumph)", "Dead Reckoning",(despite the large setup) "Dawn Patrol", "Degrees Of Freedom", and "Last Man Standing". I'd highly recommend them.
Panimen, I also like DP. I think your addition to the "hideout" move, to me, is a good addition to DP. Now I have to save up to learn this move. I also don't know how you could do this after you do a faro shuffle?
[quote]
On 2007-08-07 23:34, panimen wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-12-08 01:59, Cain wrote:
I think Dawn Patrol is more impressive to magicians than lay people.
[/quote]

Dawn Patrol is indeed impressive to magicians, but by varying it slightly, it can be impressive to lay people as well. I mentioned this in another thread. After the faro shuffle, rather than spreading the cards and displaying the sandwiched selection, you can do Joshua Jay's ribbon spread hideout move. In that way, you can show that there is no card yet in between the sandwich cards, square up the deck, and ask for the name of the selection. The spectators still believe that since the selection procedure was very fair, there is no way you can possibly control their card. For this reason, you can spread the cards again and display that their selection has suddenly been sandwiched even though you did nothing. Dawn Patrol is my favourite John Bannon effect.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. The hideout move is a great addition, makes the final sandwich a lot more magical.
Edh, actually Joshua Jay's concept utilizes a faro shuffle in which when the cards are cascaded, it allows for a ribbon spread hideout of one of the faroed packets. I don't want to expose too much about it, so I'd suggest that you take a look at either Joshua Jay's "Trumped Triumph" (in his Close Up, Up Close set) or Darwin Ortiz's "Pass The Garbage" (in his Scams And Fantasies With Cards set).

PS. Both of those effects named above are excellent and somewhat overlooked. But enough about that, John Bannon is the centre of this topic.
Or if you have Smoke & Mirrors, check out "Shake Well Before Use". The move might deliver a similar effect to the hideout move.
"Last Man Standing" and "Discrepancy City Prediction."*

* I typically use Gaston Quieto's handling entitled... "Otras Descrepincias" it was described a few years ago in Josh Jay's Column of MAGIC Magazine.
[quote]
On 2007-08-15 18:32, panimen wrote:
Cain, I want you to understand that I agree that Darwin Ortiz's "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is indeed a great effect. I merely mentioned the addition of the ribbon spread hideout (which Joshua Jay actually credits to Charles Nyquest) as an "improvement" to John Bannon's "Dawn Patrol."[/quote]

Panimen,

As I may have mentioned earlier, I appreciate your mention of the ribbon spread hide-out, and I have been toying with it for another sandwich routine, one done completely in the hands with a regular pack. . However, fair is fair: I made my comments some eight or nine months ago and you resurrected this thread, and you offered remarks on Dawn Patrol vis-a-vis magican foolers (or magician impressers). It goes without saying that you, or anyone, is free to form their own opinions on any topic of their choosing, up to and including sandwich card magic; I do not legislate for others.

[quote]But other people, like me, may prefer the handling of DP so I don't want them to discard this effect because of your post.[/quote]

This betrays your intention to influence others, which is fine. If my post had any effect on any third party (doubtful), then it was an unplanned, secondary consequence.
Cain, I'm sorry if this has become sort of a battle; I don't want it to be. I just want to clear this up. When you first posted, you stated that "Dawn Patrol" is more impressive to magicians than to lay people. So I thought to myself, "Oh, that's true because the ending isn't very stunning. I've been experimenting with the ribbon spread hideout, so perhaps it could be used in the end to create a more magical ending. I'll share this improvement (which I hope hasn't been discussed before) so that other DP performers can consider it to try getting stronger reactions from laymen."

I shared the little addition (which is not a hard move), but then you asked, "Why bother?" because "Beyond Sleight Of Hand" is fairer and accomplishes the same thing. I didn't mean for this topic to make a turn and since I'm a lousy debater (as you can see), I don't want to discuss which effect is more superior. I didn't intend to put down BSOH, but since your "Why bother?" post suggested that my little addition would only create a less fair version of BSOH, I felt I had to "put up" DP. I agreed with you initially that DP was more impressive to magicians than to laymen, so I merely wanted to share my "improvement" to help make it more impressive to laymen as well.

To sum up (I know there's no need to, but as you can see, I like additions. Enjoy my terrible pun), you shared your opinion that DP was more impressive to magicians than to lay people. Then I shared my opinion that perhaps the ribbon spread hideout could make my "favourite Bannon routine" better (title of thread). Then you shared your opinion that my addition was unnecessary because it would only render a less fair BSOH effect, when all I really wanted to do was just help improve DP for those who already use it rather than discuss if it would be a good sandwich effect compared to others. I had no intention of influencing people who didn't perform DP to change their minds. I'm sorry, I never intended to disregard your opinions or to move away from the original topic (which this post is doing, I'm sorry again). For my favourite Bannon effects, please refer to my previous post.

PS. Thanks for appreciating my "improvement". Good luck with your sandwich routine; it sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Heart of the City is very deceptive - I've used it off and on for over 10(?) years. The Descepancy City Prediction fools the heck out of people. You will feel very guilty performing it and think it's not fooling anyone, but it does. I've never been busted on this - never - and I've done it a lot (as part of Heart of the City).

I really like his torn and restored cigarette paper effect too (can't remember the title). I used to do this a lot also. Really easy and very effective.
[quote]On 2007-08-16 11:26, doug brewer wrote:
I really like his torn and restored cigarette paper effect too (can't remember the title).[/quote]
[b][i]Shriek of the Mutilated[/i][/b], in [i]Impossibilia[/i].
[quote]
On 2006-02-02 15:42, tntjr wrote:
I'll second the Bullet Train sequence, but I honestly liked it so much that I haven't read any further in the book yet!
[/quote]

I can take that a level deeper... I only do Iconoclastic Aces (one third of Bullet Train)... and only because I (also) have not read any further (yet).
Closeupcardist wrote ""Discrepancy City Prediction."*

* I typically use Gaston Quieto's handling entitled... "Otras Descrepincias" it was described a few years ago in Josh Jay's Column of MAGIC Magazine."

I've been hunting for this but I'm not having any luck finding it. Any idea what year it was?

Cheers

s
Another vote for "Last Man Standing."

Charles
Add one more for "Last Man Standing" and "Heart of the city"
Easy call for me -

Play It Straight Triumph
[quote]
On 2007-09-27 05:20, StuartNolan wrote:
Closeupcardist wrote ""Discrepancy City Prediction."*

* I typically use Gaston Quieto's handling entitled... "Otras Descrepincias" it was described a few years ago in Josh Jay's Column of MAGIC Magazine."

I've been hunting for this but I'm not having any luck finding it. Any idea what year it was?

Cheers

s
[/quote]

Not sure, but it could be this. I was showing Discrepancy City Prediction to a magician friend and he showed me a cleaner version. Basically you steal an extra prediction, so you actually have all 4 of a kind. The handling is identical to DCP, but you can actually show all 4 following the EC. Anyone know if this is the version referenced? If not, anyone know the source?
Thanks.
Dawn Patrol

I like sandwich effects and this effect looks so impossible.
I got a new list of bannon effects I love

1. Twisted Sisters
2. Strangers Gallery
3. Heart of the City
4. Play it straight Gallery
5. Beyond Fabulous

I use Heart of the city as ambitious end kicker. I do ambitious card routine first then let them put card somewhere in as I begin new trick(ye the 2 tests:))
Beyond Fabulous
Final Verdict
Call of the Wild
Power of Poker.

I love Dead Reckoning, but don't perform it due to the set-up.

I've just learnt Last Man Standing, which is great, but I get more reaction out of Sankey's Back in Time.

Tim
His four card revelation on the four packets
Tntjr,

There are a couple ideas on this in Secret Sessions. Here is the link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=191605&forum=37

Jake
Play It Straight
Twisted Sisters
Dead Reckoning

All tricks of Bannon are very good.
Carolinahusker, I like your patter for this trick.
All four bannon books have some great stuff in them. a few of the lesser known effects are the ones I like the best.

Hop Two It
Discrepancy City Prediction (Pure Bluff at its best)
Tourist Class Travelers
Edh,

Thanks. Looking back on it, the double stick tape is a bit lame and unnecessary. However, I am still happy with the patter.

Jake
Power of Poker
His take on Doc Daleys

I have his Bullets After Dark and Bullet Party Book + DVD...

I want to master ALL of the material.
Play It Straight Triumph is wonderful.... One routine I have not seen posted here that really plays well is The Ace Man Cometh from Smoke and Mirrors...A series of "mistakes" keep working they way out to a nice surprise finish

David
John Bannon is one of my biggest influences in magic, so it's hard to pick one! If I would rank everything up, my final three would be...

1. Final Verdict
2. Dawn Patrol
3. Duplicity
[quote]On 2011-03-05 19:42, LeMagicien61 wrote:
One routine I have not seen posted here that really plays well is The Ace Man Cometh from Smoke and Mirrors[/quote]
This is one of the most [i]magical[/i] ace-cutting routines extant: it's not a display of skill (as are most ace-cutting routines) because the magician [b][i]never[/i][/b] cuts to an ace; rather, he uses magic to correct each errant cut to get a pair (fours), then three-of-a-kind (queens), then four-of-a-kind (aces).
My favorites are: Duplicity, Power of Poker, Royal Scam, and Stranger's Gallery. :devilish:
Ahhh man, tough topic!

I love bullet party, vacuum packed is awesome, and spin doctor. And fat city. And arrrrrg! Cant pick what to leave out!!
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 01:03, carolinahusker wrote:
Edh,

Thanks. Looking back on it, the double stick tape is a bit lame and unnecessary. However, I am still happy with the patter.

Jake
[/quote]

Way to go! Nearly four years to answer a post! :)

Timely Departure has become my fave now since I wrote five years back!
Vicious Rumors: the "assisted switch" is brilliant.

Also played around with Strangers Gallery until I lost the special cards.

I am also fond of his Fractal creations, especially his packet effect The Royal Scam which is like the Emerson/West Sympathetic Cards only on steroids (and examinable).

Douglas M.
These are my two favorites and still doing them.

Strangers Gallery
Shriek of the Mutilated
Twisted Sisters
Current favorite:

1. Dawn Patrol
2. Timely Departure
3. Beyond Fabulous

Frankly speaking, just using Bannon's close up materials well can make you a pretty decent close up magician, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.
I would have to say FAT CITY, its a great follow up to any sandwich routine. its impromptu and all tho a little ballsy is visually stunning! when done well it will seem that the deck just visually appears between your sandwich cards.
Almost every post is cards........i also really like shanghai surprise its a great way to utilize ur copper silver coin with out doing the traditional copper silver type routines..

his coin to bottle is really cool to, but difficult to find a small nail polish bottle for it. the small 1 shot scope mouth wash bottles work perfect for this routine I'm to lazy to go thru the book right now bcaus its 1am but I think its called vacuum packed!
[quote]
On 2011-03-07 01:07, Chris Westfall wrote:
Almost every post is cards........
[/quote]

It's in the cards section Chris...;)
Count me in for Dead Reckoning... always gets a great reaction...
Dawn Patrol and Royal Scam.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 22:54, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2011-03-05 19:42, LeMagicien61 wrote:
One routine I have not seen posted here that really plays well is The Ace Man Cometh from Smoke and Mirrors[/quote]
This is one of the most [i]magical[/i] ace-cutting routines extant: it's not a display of skill (as are most ace-cutting routines) because the magician [b][i]never[/i][/b] cuts to an ace; rather, he uses magic to correct each errant cut to get a pair (fours), then three-of-a-kind (queens), then four-of-a-kind (aces).
[/quote]

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned! I love this effect!
I'll pick my favorite from each book!

Impossibilia - Play it Straight Triumph
Smoke and Mirrors - The Ace-Man Cometh
Dear Mr. Fantasy - Final Verdict
Honorable mentions from each book!

Impossibilia - Discrepancy City Prediction, Tourist Class Travelers, Twilight Zone Assembly

Smoke and Mirrors - Timely Departure, Tattoo You, Heart of the City

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Bullet Train
Dead Reckoning.

Beautifully constructed trick!
I love Royal Scam.
Ill pick my favorite also

- Impossibilia : PLay it straight Triumph
- Smoke & Mirrors: Timely Departure
- Dear mr. Fantasy: Final Verdict/ Beyond Fabulous (i perform these the most often altough I love more routines from the book)
- Six. Impossible. Things: Counterpunch/4 faces north routine and riverboat poker but I basically love the entire book
- Mega Wave: didn't perform any of these routines yet, but megawave sounds the most appealing to me
- Bullet party book: Don''t have it yet :)
My favorites are Play it Straight Triumph, Dawn Patrol, both with hideout spread move by Joshua Jay and Origami Prediction. It's very powerfull and clever card magic his work. I will add more of his routines to my reportoire for sure. Love his stuff.

Helder Sousa
For me, "Reversal of Fourtune" from Smoke and Mirrors, pp.82. Impromptu, in the spectators hands and the effect is very stunning.
I believe this thread will go on for a long time, as Mr Bannon keeps at it, requiring updates. I love everything on the new Bullet Party DVD, but the old Twisted Sisters will remain my favorite.
I like Twilight Zone Assembly from Impossiblia and the Jazz Aces trick from SMoke and Mirrors, cna't think of the title right now. And the Ace asemblies from Dear Mr Fantasy.

Mega Wave has lots of good stuff.

I ordered the new Bullet Train book on May 4th but have not yet received it. But it looks good.
IMHO Twisted Sisters and Royal Scam are some of the most reaction - getting effects for me - hit's them hard every single time. Then Again, practically anything from DMF or Smoke & Mirrors does so.
Foreshadow Aces followed by Big fat bluff aces is fantastic.
They're on the Bullet party dvd.
I like On The Corner of Piccadilly.
Oh sorry, I thought this was about Paul Gordon. I get the two confused all the time.
Goat,

I was gonna say "i woudn't say that 'round these parts," but then I remembered that most of the Café is very gordon-friendly and wouldn't take it as an insult to bannon.

but yes, I know exactly what you're getting at.
Royal Scam & Call of the Wild are excellent...
I named a handful before, but having used Spin Doctor for laymen LOADS recently, it's just sooo good! Spin Doctor FTW!
Message: Posted by: disgruntledpuffin (May 18, 2011 06:59AM)
Really feeling Riverboat Poker and Fractal Re-Call lately, but in all honesty I have never disliked a Bannon Routine in my entire life, all his stuff is gold.

Which I guess is why certain people (naming no names) make a career of stealing from him.
Tally?? Anyone? I'm lazy as a rule.. well today's rules.
There was a Killer prediction effect in his book Impossibilia, where a 3 cards were put facedown on the table, and a selection was removed, and at the end all 4 cards matched. I cant for the life of me remember the title, but that is my favorite Bannon effect.
That would be Discrepancy City Prediction.
Lately....

Royal Scam and Mega Wave been KILLIN' !!!
His work is extraordinary, very creative and powerfull. Add Mega Wave to my arsenal.
View to a 'Skill
I absolutely love Royal Scam, mostly because its something people have never seen before and is a great joke about the aces. Whenever someone tries to choose an Ace for another mentalism trick or so, this is next as a big joke.
Sohaib mentioned it and I second it: "The Ace-Man Cometh." This beauty is PACKED with magic all the way through and is a KILLER opener.

I know I posted in this thread in 2006 and I am glad that it is resurrected. Frankly, I STILL am a John Bannon junkie and I see no cure for the addiction. Many have mentioned "Timely Departure" and man are they right! This effect is downright DANGEROUS :)

This may sound strange but I have yet to meet a John Bannon effect I DON'T like. Right now I am looking through Bullet Party and Mega Wave and both of these manuscripts are must haves for card workers. But I will reiterate what I wrote in 2006 that Bannon's NON-card magic is of the same caliber. Chop2 is one of the most fun chop cup routines I have ever performed (it's in Impossibilia) and his take on the C/S/B called "Murder on the Aztec Orient Express" is a thing of beauty.

"Play it Straight Triumph" is of course a huge favorite of many and it works SO well in conjunction with Vernon's Triumph from The Stars of Magic. Try the two together sometime ;)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
@ Vlad

I never really looked into the Aceman Cometh. I am already looking forward to getting the book of the shelf when I come back :)
Knee deep in "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and so far loving some of the ace routines, especially "Beyond Fabulous". Other fav's include Twisted Sisters, Timely Departure, Final Verdict and a few others. I really want to try "The Ace Man Cometh". Sounds great!
Here's a performance of The Ace-Man Cometh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIgl6SPrL3g
I'm a big fan of Bannon's Masquerade. The first time I saw the Joker's totally disappear I couldn't believe it. Bold but great to end clean! His Poker deal using the parity principle is also pretty sweet.
How can you go past play it straight triumph. Still one of the best effects I perform for people and also one of the easiest to perform. No skill required. If you can shuffle you can do it so it allows you to focus on your performance.
The amazing thing is the fact that since this thread started in Feb. of 2006, here we are in 2014 still loving the same routines just as much as well as adding routines he has released since. I am currently reading High Caliber (which is everything since Dear Mr Fantasy) some are revised handlings of previously released material but most is "new".

I think the great thing about Mr Bannon is that he is always trying to "make it better" instead of just grinding out an effect and on to the next. His ideas about "Fractal Magic" are inspiring. I am not sure you would be able to take any of the effects mentioned in this entire thread (including anything released up until now) and say they haven't or won't stand the test of time as true classics of card magic.

I will always be partial to Twisted Sisters (as it was my first intro to John Bannon) so that will be my #1
2)Strangers Gallery - Blew my mind the first time I saw it
3)Royal Scam / Spin Doctor (tie) - Just love to perform these two. Easy to do, great reactions, FRACTAL.
4)View to a 'Skill - This one is newer but will quickly rise to the top as I perform it more. What can I say,? self working and what a punch?
5) Tattoo You / Detour De Force / Play it Straight Triumph - another tie, oldies but goodies.
Play it straight Triumph for one of his older tricks, probably still the best.
Royal Scam
Spin doctor

What could possibly beat these three???????? From anyone??????
Using the spin doctor cards for Braniac
John Bannon will be lecturing at a rare appearance at Magic-Fest on August 9th, 2014 in Tampa, FL. The whole convention proce is only $35.00! Get registered at http://www.tampamagicclub.com
Message: Posted by: Martijn van Berkel (Jun 24, 2014 03:49PM)
I really love Power of Poker, since the spectator makes all the decisions, looks really clean, but still you end up with a straight/royal flush.
Play it Straight Triumph
[quote]On Feb 1, 2006, Noel D wrote:
What is your favorite Bannon routine with cards?

Huge Bannon fan here: faves include: Timely Departure, Clock O' Doom, Masquerade, Trick Shot Production, Single Bullet Theory, Directed Verdict, Discrepancy City Prediction, Heart of the City, Duplicity and more...
Oh man! So many to name.

Stranger's Gallery
Spin Doctor
Detour De Force
Dead Reckoning
Bannon Triumph
Mega 'Wave
Twisted Sisters
Collusion or Four-Sided Gemini
Cross Purposes
Timely Departure

Seriously, incredible magic.
Must have missed this one the past few times it's popped up....

In no particular order:

Royal Scam
B'rainiac
Dead Reckoning
Twisted Sisters
Timely Departure

So much more....
Message: Posted by: The_Mediocre_Gatsby (May 1, 2019 12:21PM)
Bannon is one of my favorite creators. His Final Verdict is beautiful and *** near perfect.
Twisted sisters,Detour de force and a couple of the Move Zero series.
Prophet Motive
Although I have all Bannon's book in print, however I personally believes the best still those effects on or before Dear Mister Fantasy era, such as:

1) Bannon Triumph
2) Timely Departure
3) Deck Reckoning
4) Last Man Standing

Except AK47 from Mentalissimo... a free choice divination of a thought of card.

Just my 2 cents.
In keeping with the pre DMF era, let's call it by its TRUE name- Play it Straight.
Great trick.
[quote]On May 1, 2019, magicfish wrote:
In keeping with the pre DMF era, let's call it by its TRUE name- Play it Straight.
Great trick. [/quote]

Hey, respect the wishes of its creator! Doesn't hurt nothin' or nobody.
Perhaps you should re-read Stephen's post.
In the interest of consistency.
And the creator can change the name a dozen times over a dozen years- doesn't matter. It is what it is.
If the ghost of Vernon himself arrived today and changed the name of Triumph, it would still be Triumph. It's ABOUT respect, not a lack thereof.
But please...let's stay on topic. I stated my favourite, what's yours?
That's some wild cosa notra logic you've got there. Bannon said he hates the name and wants the next generation of magicians to know if by a new one -- thus the campaign to change it. Seems pretty straightforward!

Anyway, yeah, Final Verdict is fabulous.
Can you blame him? It became a classic, so now he wants his name in its title. Nothing wrong with that. But itll always be Play It Straight- which is a better title.
Collusion is a great one as well.
Check out "Clean out of Sight" from Mentalissimo. Seems impossible and I've been getting some great reactions!
Hi
Smoke and Mirrors is out of print. Is there an alternate source for the Ace-Man Cometh?
[quote]On May 5, 2019, MGordonB wrote:
Hi
Smoke and Mirrors is out of print. Is there an alternate source for the Ace-Man Cometh? [/quote]
Smoke and Mirrors is available.
Thanks magicfish

Please note, Bannon’s website clearly says this book is not available. Nor is it on the llepub site. As a Canada resident it is not available on Amazon.ca, nor is it available through any Canadian B&M or online stores.

Hence my question
Here is one of many. A shop in toronto also had one on their shelf quite recently. If you want one, as I said, they are most definitely available. Great book. Good luck.

Https://haversatewing.hibid.com/catalog/165867/the-howie-schwarzman-auction---part-i/
Here's another one at a decent price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoke-Mirrors-John-Bannon-1991-Hardcover-Magic/163677360074?hash=item261bee4fca:g:BKEAAOSwLk9czsE~
Here's another at a good price right here at the Café.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=692792&forum=78
Hmmm...guess he really wanted an alternate source. Should've just said so- don't pretend it's because you cant find the book. The book is everywhere.
I like Discrepency City Prediction and I enjoy Box Jumper. Tattoo You is great.
A new favorite is Triplicity from his lecture notes "Lucky".
I first posted in this thread in 2006. Not surprisingly, my preferences have shifted. The Bannon tricks I currently perform the most are packet tricks: Twisted Sisters and a modified version of Chop Shop.
Man I love Bannon! This list will change the more I read but for now:

Timely departure
Bannon triumph
Degrees of freedom
Power of poker
Dead reckoning
My favorites are...

Timely Departure
Spin Doctor
Twisted Sisters
Play it Straight Triumph
Last Man Standing
Strangers Gallery
Bullet Party
Dead Reckoning. Simply lovely and exceptional thinking!