(Close Window)
Topic: One-handed Retention of Vision Vanish
I've been working on developing a one handed retention of vision vanish for a silver dollar. I have worked it out and it looks pretty good.

The coin is in the hand, the hand closes, the opposite hand doesn't come with 10 inches of the hand with the coin, the spectator sees the hand closing over the coin, yet the coin disapprears to be found "somewhere else" with the opposite hand. No duplicate coins, no gimmichs, no sleeving.

I don't have a video of it yet, but wondered if anyone would want to see this. If so, I'm going to need some technical guidance on how to post it. I'm having it recorded on a digital video camera tomorrow.
[quote]
I don't have a video of it yet, but wondered if anyone would want to see this.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, If it looks as good as you described it. That would be awesome.

Chris
Cp,

I'd like to see it too, sounds most interesting. Let me know.

-MB
Does anyone know if this is a new sleight? It sounds almost too good to be true - love to see it!
I'd love to see it. If there are no dupe coins then the hands have to come close afterwards or at some point. But it sounds very interesting!
I'd love to see that too.

I'm not familiar with posting a video, but I know first you need to transfer the video file from your DV to your computer. Then you'll have to render it into a format which has a smaller file size, like .mpg, .wmv... etc. After that you need an internet space to place your file so others can get access to via browsers.

Or you can simply email the video to those who asks you. And I'll be the first one. ;)

Good luck.
I'd be very interested too. If you have a video of it, PM me and I'll be happy to host it for you so anyone who is interested can download it.
Interested too!
I would DEFINITELY like to see it.
Hi Cpontz,
I would love to see your vanish..
I have a one handed vanish,, but there is no retention of vision,,, or burn..
do you get a burn with your one handed vanish????????
vinny

I will send mine to you so you can compare it with yours ,, anyone else that would like to see it just pm me
Also eager to see what's up here. Ordinarily a retention of vision happens when you seen the fingers close over something that is being removed at that instant.

On the other hand, I have seem some folks use Silent Mora's vanish effectively. One person showed me a palm up handling with a wand in hand where they got a retention of vision of the ball (they used a small ball) in their hand as their fingers closed... both hands moved to their left and the Mora pass was done horizontally. Looked impressive.
I'm curious about how a 1 hand ROV can happen too.
Thanks for all the feedback. In response to everyoneís questions:

Rutabaga: It is a new slight. I know a lot about coin magic, and Iíve never heard of anything like this. I developed it on my own. We taped it at lunch today on a digital video recorder. My friend Jay is converting the file to something I can email. If you PM me your email address, Iíll send you a copy of the video clip. I hope to be able to send it this weekend.

walking_liberty: If you PM me your email, Iíll send you a clip also. The hands donít come within 10Ē of each other when it is done correctly.

info2victor: Thanks for the information. Iím going to email it to interested parties. If you PM me your email, Iíll send you a clip also.

Sirakorv: Thanks for the offer of hosting the clip, but as you can see Iíve decided to email it to interested parties. If you PM me your email, Iíll send you a clip also.

Vinny: I think you get a GREAT burn with this. Iíve PM'ed you. Thanks for your version Ė It was really well done.

Jonathan: Ordinarily a retention of vision happens when you seen the fingers close over something that is being removed at that instant. This is exactly what you will see when you see my clip. I PMíed you.

Jaz: I PM'ed you also.

Thanks
Craig
I would like to see it also. The only one-handed retention vanish I have seen/know is Geoff Lata's.
Where is Latta's vanish?
Wow, sounds VERY interesting. Craig, I wouldn't mind seeing this too, if possible.

thanks.
Glenn
Mm that does sound very good, looking forward to seeing the video!
I would be very pleased to see this also-it would seem to be a contradiction in terms ? One handed ????
Clarioneer: You got me there. The spectator only sees one hand being used, thus the "one handed ROV vanish". How would you phrase it?

Thanks

Craig
[quote]
On 2006-02-04 02:45, kramerica2010 wrote:
Where is Latta's vanish?
[/quote]

Are you asking about his one handed vanish that is used at the end of Kenner's "Three Fly" routine, his "French Pop"?
C'mon you know we wanna see it......
So, has anyone seen Cp's "One Handed ROV Vanish" yet??? What do you think? I PM'd you Cp with my email address. Hope to see this soon. Thanks. -MB
MB: We taped it on Friday at lunch and my friend was going to covert it to a file I could email. He is to get it to me this weekend, but I haven't received it yet. If I don't get it today, I'll find out tomorrow what is going on and let everyone know.

I recieved you email address, and your on the list.

Thanks for the interest.

Craig
Thanks Craig...can't wait. :) -Mb

PS - excuse my 2nd PM.
[quote]
On 2006-02-04 19:34, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
Where is Latta's vanish?
[/quote]

Are you asking about his one handed vanish that is used at the end of Kenner's "Three Fly" routine, his "French Pop"?
[/quote]

Yes
Clamon86: Michael Rubenstein has it in the new coins across DVD. Geoff has a lot of material on this.

Craig
[quote]
Where is Latta's vanish?
[/quote]

You can find one of Geoff's one handed vanish using "Nowhere Palm" in the Gary Kurtz book "Unexplainable Acts" by Richard Kaufman, and his "French Pop" described in Chris Kenner's book "Totally Out Of Control" and in several published versions of the "three fly" routine by folks including Troy Hooser among several others.
I'm sure any true lover of magic would want to see an effect so superb, if only you could get the video of it soon. You know, for things such as this, magicians are always so restless. Do come up with a video soon.

Magicalsherry
Great. Now I have gotten excited as well. I would love to see a one handed retention vanish.
CPontz,

Could you add me to the PM List? Thanks in advance; sounds cool!
Whew... I'd love to see that.
Put me on that list too!

Thanks
Craig,

Well, you've been hearing this all day - I'd love to see your work too! Thanks! -Dan
Sounds a little like "Shoot Shoots" from CX2. Add me to the pm list also please! Thanks!
Sounds remarkable. Would love to see it demo'd as well. Please place me on the PM list as well. Wow...one-handed.
I've seen Cpontz's "One-handed Retention of Vision Vanish" and can say that there is some ROV in what he does.
As he requested, I emailed him with a brief critique and added some suggestions.
While I see potential in this, and have experimented with something similar, you may prefer to view it as something to be used in context with a routine.

Hope you all get to see it.
When you do, a topic in Secret Sessions may be the best place for discussion.

Thank you Cpontz and keep up the explorations.
Craig,

I would love to see it also.

Cheers,
Bill
Additional Information on the sleight:

Although I developed this slight independent of other sources and felt that is was an original slight, I checked with some knowledgeable sources to see if anyone else had heard or seen something like this.

I have been informed that it is similar to something T. Nelson Downs did and that that it is also similar to the strike vanish and the Sylvester Pitch. Due to the similarities, I am rescinding my statement about this being a new slight and apologize if I have unintentionally misled anyone.

Please be aware that Iíve only been working on this for a couple of months and feel that it is still a work in progress.

With that said, Iím emailing the video clips beginning tonight and will respond to everyone who requested a clip individually.

Thanks for your interest.

Craig
Thanks Craig, still looking forward to it. :) And incidentally, I happen to think the Sylvester Pitch is one of the most brilliant slieghts ever. It can be used in so many ways and is a great utility move. So, you're in the right neighborhood of inventiveness if you're tucked somewhere close to T. Nelson Downs, Sylvester The Jester and Williamson. They all came up with brilliant ideas. Maybe you have too. ;)

-MB
Hey Craig,
You seem to have a fantastic insight in creating your own effect....
...The fact that you personally know you developed this sleight independently. Take it slow and most of all let me share with you the one thing I know from Experience.

Very many times knowledgeable sources are"DEAD WRONG". This can discourage a person like yourself to stop dead in your tracks...Don't let it "EVER"!!!

You would not believe the highly skilled Magician's that told me one thing and it ended up being the other.... Meaning they where "wrong".

Remember Craig, no one knows everything in coin magic....The first thing you may want to do is run your coin creations by the people over and over... LISTEN TO THEIR COMMENTS... IF IT'S NOT ORIGINAL, PERHAPS YOU CAN ALTER IT TO BE ORIGINAL (after all you're on the right track)!!

Keep up the great work and best of luck to a great guy.."YOU CRAIG"

MICKEY SILVER
See Craig, I told you, that you were in the right neighborhood. ;) Yet another great inventor, like Mickey Silver, charges you onward. What else do you need to hear. :)

-MB
Thanks Micky and MB17:

I was a little down after that information. I was beginning to feel like it was impossible to create something of your own.

I will continue in my quest to improve this sleight and work it into a routine. If you have any suggestions on what would be the next logical step, please let me know. I have one idea already.

Thanks

Craigg
Craig, I have seen that approach used most effectively with a ball holding a wand in the other hand.

There is no point in trying to be "original". What you need is simply to find things that work for you. Some choose to explore the library trying everything they find in books. Others start from impulse and feels right and find things that feel comfortable and seem to work from experience. Both approaches have their advantages.

You can leave the research and crediting till you feel compelled to share your discoveries. Compelled? Yes, if you find something so amazing and never seen before that you feel it would help out the rest of the community and be worth living through the vetting process... then it's worth it.
Jon:

I was not compelled to create this clip and broadcast it to the world. I had worked on this privately and after I came up with something I thought looked half good, I saw the triple dare category on the Cafť. I posted it there and you asked for a video clip.

I never intended it to be a vetting process. But now that it is, I'm asking the Cafť if they have any ideas on the next step in building a routine around this sleight. I already have one idea...

Thanks

Craig
I'm going to step back from the vetting.
For me, abrupt actions bring out the worst.
Also for me, they seem to attract attention to an action that I'd usually like to be invisible or quickly forgotten in the flow of a routine. So I will have to step back from a critique of the thing as well.

When I was 25 years younger I could do abrupt stuff and it seemed to work for me. Now I have to let that stuff go by and hope others can help find deceptive and magical applications for it.

Best to you, it and all who pick up this challenge.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 7, 2006 09:43PM)
Hey Craig,
I haven't seen the clip of your move, but keep in mind these things:

1. No one has exclusive rights on inventing, so keep trying to do things that work best for you, whether they are yours or not. And if something comes up that is original be proud of it! Its your Baby! Look to find applications that can be used with it, and if nothing comes up, store it away until you come up with a use for it!'

2. Sam Schwartz gave me this bit of advice when I was young, and developed something that was orignated actually 30 years beforehand by someone else. He told me that if I develop something on my own that might not be original, be proud! Many times people starting with the same idea will come up with duplicate ideas, and there is no shame to come up with something on your own, even if someone else developed it first (as long as you can credit it properly to the originator). Know that sooner or later if you keep trying, you will come up with something that is all yours.

Good luck!
Hi Craig,
I just watched your demo... and I like it very much. Yes there are similarities to to other ideas. but so what... I have never seen anyone perform your technique as you did it.

For example the flying shuttle is similar to a pitch which is similar to a striking vanish... but they are all used in different ways... as you have used your technique in a different way.

Another example the Han Pein Chen is used by most however I have never seen anyone use what I call the Gosh Pein Chen......

Craig there are many variations for a retention vanish or the classic pass
that others have improved on..

I will be practicing your technique and I love the fact you are using both hands....

the godfather
Greg,
Can you put a link in here so we can see a preview.
CP-
Saw your demos. And while there are distinct similarities to all of the sleights mentions above (T. Nelson Downs, strike vanish, Sylvester Pitch, and to some that have yet to be mentioned), I think this is a brilliant "discovery."

We are all constantly reinventingówithout always being conscious of itóother conjurers' ideas. while I agree with some of the comments above about "abrupt" actions, I do believe that these types of moves, under proper motivation and context can be incredibly powerful.

If you haven't read up on the DW strike vanish, see if you can find some video of it, it is very magical and deceptive. Mostly because it makes "sense." the larger action of the wand, stick, pen covers the slight jerk of the hand holding the coin. I believe, with a little motivation, your OHROV vanish could appear more even.

On that note, Watch your "receiving" hand. You don't want it to appear that it is doing anything other than gesturing, Research into the DW strike vanish and the Sylvester Pitch will help with those subtleties. I look forward to seeing this evolve.

The devil is in the details.
Craig,

Thanks for spending me the video. that's a real eye opener, I can imagine the effect it has on non magicians who don't know such skills exist.

I must also give you a big "attaboy" for doing it with both hands. My coin skills
are far below yours so I can't be of much help other than to encourage your efforts.

Thanks for your time in sharing the effect.
Thanks for the demo! It looks good in your hands. (Whenever I attempt that type of move it leaves a trail like a comet.) Nice job!
Hey Craig,

Thanks for sending me the videos. The move does look pretty good in your hands, and as mentioned in the previous posts, while it does build on similar ideas like the striking vanish and such, I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

The closest thing is something a friend of mine showed me where he takes up the same starting position as you then does a muscle pass instead (this is seen from above).

Great job! :)
The vanish looked bold, and " I didn't think you could actually get away with that" kinda feel. At least when I saw it.

It looked pretty good.
Let me say this: If you are doing this walk-around and your hands and body are in constant motion, then this vanish will be invisible IMO.
Craig,

Thought I posted here about the video, but I don't see it, so I guess not huh???

Anyway, thanks for sending me the video, I enjoyed it. It works well in your hands. It is a somewhat "bold" move, but I agree with Vinny in if you do it within the frame of body movement or turning it could work rather well.

I did think of Williamson's "Striking Vanish" when I saw it, as he also does it with an "invisible" wand many times.... In that way especially, it sorta comes across pretty much as what you're doing here. However, I don't see this as a Sylvester Pitch thing.

The Pitch is for something else, to me and I use it all the time, *a variation of it at least (I'm not sure, but my "variation/modification" might be a new thing too - gotta check that with someone here :).

In the pitch, you usually do not show the coin in the left hand. In your presenation the coin is shown there from the beginning. To me, it's along the lines of the Striking Vanish, but I see it more as a sort of "variation" maybe on that idea of instantaneously vanishing a coin. I think you can do some good things with what you've come up with here, keep at it, perhaps there's something else hidden to be found in all this, as really it is in all things. Thanks again for sharing. Good shoot! ;)
-MB
After I saw your video I could see that it looks kind of like something I was creating but I stopped working on it.
JokersWild: Why did you stop working on it?

Craig
Marion my man, it sure is bold but let me tell you folks, just as the Godfather said it, with the motions and all, it just hits them (spectators) BOOM POW!!!

My teenage, daughter knows magic as she started very young, but after practicing Craig's OHROV for hours to a level I'm very comfortable with it, I showed it to her and she was in AWE!!!!

Craig, the closest thing I can remember to the OHROV was done with multiple coins where in coins are counted by dropping them one at a time from one hand to another but have none in the end. Seeing it happen with one coin was really refreshing! I can see so many possibilities with your OHROV! I just want to thank you again for sharing.

All the best Craig!

Your friend,

Rannie

PS just an idea...
Perhaps the action of reaching for the spectators hand to waive over the closed fist could be enough motivation for the receiving hand to come within the area.
Rannie:

Thanks for your kind remarks. It is something you have to practice with the timing and with the opposite hand. I PM'ed you some of the things I was working on as this developed.

I'm now working on a routine to "highlight" this slight and will let you know my progress. Hopefully, this will also contain something "different" then what you have seen.

I also thank you for your suggestion. I will try this to see how it works. I'm working on reducing the movement in the hands and making it more natural.

As you know from working with this to the point you are comfortable with it, it can be done regardless of angles.

Thanks for your support and for trying this!

Your friend,
Craig
Craig,

Mickey said it best, do NOT let anyone stop you from creating. The more you create the easier it gets. It doesn't get easy, just easier. I saw your clip and enjoyed it very much, and thank you for sending it to me. I enjoyed it and think it's pretty creative, very visual. It is similar to a few other sleights, but it's not other sleights, it is something that you developed and it better suits your style. How many different types of spellbound changes are out there? MANY. So, if people stopped creating because someone created something similar we would only have very limited sleights and/or routines. What I suggest is continue with your sleight and develop some routines with it and then those routines will be yours. Of course, like the good doctor said, properly credit your inspiratins, influences, and those with similar ideas. Let this spark develop into a flame and I know you'll take it to hire ground. Thanks again for sharing. Cheers my friend.

Bill
[quote]
On 2006-02-10 22:09, Cpontz wrote:
JokersWild: Why did you stop working on it?

Craig
[/quote]

Just kind of started working on other things and I just forgot about it. Mabye I'll start working on it again.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 12, 2006 07:52PM)
Step one is to find something you have good reason to feel is deceptive. Such a brazen application of HPC and the Mora pass is VERY VERY difficult to integrate into your actions.

Remember, there is supposed to be a delay between when you "do the move" and when you can reveal the magic.
Well, well well. I love a challenge.

I have been working on two versions of a routine showcasing this slight. One version can be done surrounded with no worries about angles. This version uses known slights and the last vanish is the one handed retention of vision with a surprise ending showing both hands completely empty without a ďhand washingĒ demonstration.

The other version is done with the spectator in front of you and no one behind you. This one uses some things that I have been working on for the last 20 years and (as far as I know, may be original). That means that someone else, sometime, somewhere may have done the same thing, but I have no knowledge of it and have developed these moves independently.

I developed the routines, then worked on the patter trying to include a little humor. I have been audience testing it for the last week. I even had the opportunity to show it to a child of 10. I have been getting exceptional responses.

I know my style is a little unorthodox with a lot of hand movement, but it has served me well for a lot of years. Anyone willing to put the time into learning these types of things will be greatly rewarded

Iím thinking of doing the same thing I did with the One Handed Retention of Vision and taping the two routines and emailing them to interested parties.

What do you think? Should I spend the time (Iím on dial up and each email takes about 4 minutes) and effort to show this?

Thanks

Craig
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 14, 2006 07:42PM)
Yes to making the clips and getting feedback from folks who know. YOUSENDIT allows you to offer LINKS to the clips, so you only have to upload ONCE.

By the way, Ramsay's mid-air vanish is similar in that it requires attention management to work. So brazen does not mean bad. Just a greater challenge.
Craig count me in I am also a unothhodox person.....
ps the godfather would love to have you put one of your effects in my next project la famiglia vol 2
the godfather
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 14, 2006 07:52PM)
http://s21.yousendit.com/

here is a link for that place
Thanks Jonathan. That will make it a lot easier to do this.

Vinny - I am honored that you suggest that with only seeing my one clip. I will PM you.

Thanks again and hopefully this won't take too long.

Your friend

Craig
Craig,

Once again, count me in. You have my email address. Looking forward to seeing how you packaged your move. Bet it's pretty cool. :)

-MB
Holy cow!! How did I miss this post? Craig, please do send me a copy of the video. I'm on dial-up too (Man!! Are we dinosaurs, or what?? :) ), but the download time sounds more than worth the wait. Look at all of the talented folks behind you, encouraging you to continue with your work (I'd name names, but what's the point... simply review the last three pages of replies!!). I am excited for you, and looking forward to receiving your file.

Best regards,
Evan
Craig,

The good thing of putting up the clip is other parties can give you comments. Even thought some of them may not fit your style, it's good to see what others think.

Do count me in your mailing list, and if you have any updates, let me know.

And Jonathan is right, uploading it can save you time for repeatedly sending the clip again and again... the price is... it goes public and you have to be extemely careful with your moves =)

p.s. thanks for taking the time to send the clips to us via email.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 15, 2006 04:51AM)
The yousendit utility is interesting in that although the item is posted ON the internet, you do do a specific link to get to it and search engines don't find things there. so... as long as folks are good about keeping their links to themselves or those they intend to sent links to, it is pretty much private.
Craig,

I am totally interested in this, count me in, Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bill
Bill:

Thanks for your interest. I didn't want to tape this at work again, so I have found a friend who has a DVD recorder. I can videotape it on my camcorder and have him convert it to a file we can post on the internet. I expect this will take a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, if anyone wants on the list for the routines, please let me know.

Thanks

Craig
As a magician and ventriloquist I am always looking for one handed effects.

(One from the world of cards is "It can't be done any slower.)

Playing with coins and other props is great fun and sometimes brings birth to new ideas.

Please let me know where you post this.

You are all appreciated by,

Harris
Chris Kenner's "One-Handed Vanish" (from "Totally Out of Control") has a ROV aspect to it, if performed correctly.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. I haven't seen this but will to to get a look at it.

Craig
Hi Cpontz !!
I'm currently working on magic with hands puppets...I mean only the hand, and, for example, a silver dollar.
Your moves look very interesting to me, and I would be happy to appear in your list...
Good luck in your search, you have all my support !
I'd love to be on your list for this sleight. I'm sure it'd be worth seeing.
Jonathan

Could you give us a source for the Silent Mora vanish ?

Thanks
Daniel
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 20, 2006 05:38AM)
Vernon taught it as the wand spin vanish.
Thanks.
D
Craig

Thanks for the link. I DL'd and watched it.

First of all congrats for your routining, creating this video and showcasing it here.

Here are a couple of ideas I wanted to share with you :

- the top-down 'flight' could be combined with a muscle pass to demonstrate
- you could motivate the pitching action better, for example by turning the wrist and ending fingers of the pitching hand down instead of up and assigning a meaning to this action in the context of your routine - hard to explain but do you get my drift ?
- This would seem to work very well with a topit

I look forward to your future work !
best regards
Daniel
I recently came up with a new coin vanish. YOu end completely both hands clean. No sleeves needed and it can be done right in front of someones eyes away from your body. I love this vanish and ive never seen anything like it, but I'm not huge into coin magic. I don't have a webcam but I want to get a video of this online so you guys can see it. I want to tape it being done to spectaters so you can see the reactions. so ill try and work it out and post a video.
Sounds good, Gink. Looking forward to it.

And welcome to the wonderful world of coin magic! :spinningcoin:
Daniel: Thanks for your comments. As always, routines are a work in progess and trying new things always can lead to an improvement. So I'm going to work a little bit with you suggestons.

Gink: Welcome. I also would be interested in this. I didn't have a webcam either, but found that this was the easiest and cheapest way to record and send on the internet. You can get a webcam for $25 - $50 (or a lot more if you want to spend the money).

Craig
Did we ever get a video of this posted? I'd sure like to see it!