(Close Window)
Topic: Card Stunts by Greg Wilson or Generation eXtreme by Brian Tudor
I am torn between the two, which one do you think I should get? I loved the showoff DVD, so I'm kind of thinking about getting Generation eXtreme. What do you think?
Think about it like this:

do you want to learn amazing magic, or do you want to cut cards into a bazillion packets for no reason other than to show off? (and no one likes a show off).
You do have a point,there is no reason other than to say, "look what I can do",

Another question, does card stunts require I to make gimmicks I'm not a fan of gimmicks usually
Card stunts all the way. Gen X is more like a flourishing showcase video rather than tutorial..and its not cheap at all.
I agree with Noel D - you'll impress people more with anything from card Stunts. HOWEVER, if you personally really like flourishes, than go for that. I guess you have to decide which avenue to go down. I personally stray from flourishes and fancy cuts because then when you do magic they just think that you are really good with cards and you must have done sleight of hand. It takes away from some of the mystery.

:) Kaylan
The only gimmick you need is for heavyweight boxing and you end clean, so there's really no chance of getting "caught"

Joke in the box is, IMO, the best card under glass like effect I have ever seen. Before this, I used john bannon's underhanded, but with this one, you load AS you reveal, so you basically can't get caught, the misdirection is too strong!

Highly reccomended.
My friend had Generation eXterme for a few months now, and I can say with certainty that it is the worst decision he had ever made. All of the tricks are nay impossible or taught in the worst way possible. There are plenty of easy flourishes that can wow laymen without resorting to hours upon hours of finger work that GenX will pretty much require. I say go with Card Stunts or a cheaper flourishing one. I feel Cradle 2 the Grave had much better teaching, and a video like CapCuts is cheaper.
Before I say anything, the numbers of magic DVDs and vids that I own is literally in the 100s.... and I am familar with a GOOD magic video production whereas BAD one.

Gen X, of all the DVDs that I own, is near, if not AT, the very bottom. stuff he teaches on it, "the showoff routine" is mostly reproduction of video showoff, the angle of the shot is as HORRIBLE as it can get, so that the packets are hiding some of the vital finger movements (If you thought ShowOff I&II teaching was bad, wait til you see this) and his "instruction" is dubbed and doesn't match theaction on several parts. Even if you love xcm and some routines on DVD, and get this to learn it, unless you are a very determined and very strong visual learner who can see stuff beyond whats on the screen, you wont be learning anything for a long while.

Card Stunt, I loved it, just like any other Wilson productions - he is likable on DVD, the DVD is not through the roof expensive, and the stuff on it, is not "mainstream" so its a nice lil break from all the popular routines that everyone does. Some of the routines were designed to be flexible, and they are all entertaining routines. Teaching as well as crediting is superb.

Needless to say, I hate Tudor lol..... but I like all genre of magic, including xcm, so its not the genre which has be saying all those bad stuff about tudor.

If you still want to get Tudor.. well, what can I say.. go ahead.
Well what can I say, it sounds like I was going to make a terrible mistake buying Generation eXtreme, I think ill give it a miss and go for Card Stunts

Cheers everyone for your comments
Tudor is the man! Nobody can touch him. But he doesn't teach very well. So I say put your money with Greg Wilson.
Ummmm...when Brian Tudor places in Card Magic at FISM, then maybe you can say nobody can touch him. GW is the man.
I agree that Card Stunts is the way to go. I did a detailed review of it years ago when it first came out. You can read my review in the reviews section over at magictalk.com
Cards Stunts all the way! I have both and I have got more value our of card stunts infact it is my second fav dvd
Put your money to card stunt
Brian Tudor is a terrible teacher. And from a video I seen, I think it was heckler, the audio was terrible. Sounded like it was something you would play on on a tape deck seperate from the video... horrible.
I disagree. I wouldnt say that Tudor is the best teacher in teh world, but his teaching has greatly improved sence his first "Generation X". I do not have card stunts, but I do have generation extreme. And in its defence I will say that in the 6 routines taught, only id completely XCM. 4 routines don't have any sible cuts, one handed cuts, or anything like that. And one routine is half sleights half XCM. Overall, if you take the time to learn the material, I think its worth teh fifty dollars.
[quote]
On 2006-02-12 11:58, Noel D wrote:
Think about it like this:

do you want to learn amazing magic, or do you want to cut cards into a bazillion packets for no reason other than to show off? (and no one likes a show off).
[/quote]

hehe well sai, but sometimes some show off things are nice eye candies for an audience. btw: do you like the beaver brothers?
Greg Wilson's Card Stunts better entertainer...
I liked Showoff II, and Card Stunts is definitely on my must buy list....
If you want to entertain - Card Stunts. If you want to show off - Generation Extreme
[quote]
On 2006-02-13 12:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Ummmm...when Brian Tudor places in Card Magic at FISM, then maybe you can say nobody can touch him. GW is the man.
[/quote]

amen. greg is awsome. I love all his stuff. so entertaining even for you, the magician who watches it! card stunts is a great video. tudor is a horrible teacher. great moves too, but only flourishes. I recommend card stunts too, as most of us here as it seems.
Go with Greg Wilson.
For me at least, I'd rather perform and/or watch good solid magic, than, you know... cut cut cut flip flip switch fan fan.
Card stunts for entertaining magic
Generation xtreme for amuse yourself
Generation eXtreme simply for the raw challenge in having to learn all the tricks (I find "The Politician" IMPOSSIBLE... But the remaning ones are worth learning). They are tons... I really mean TONS... Of useful moves in Gen eXtreme and it's worth the buy if you're experienced enough to adapt those moves to your situation.

Card Stunts has much better routining and flow. I don't really mind "Joke In The Box" but the trick that I love to use is "Revelation Of Spades"... That trick alone is worth the DVD and look how many other tricks you're getting along with it!! Oh and you should take a look at "G-Force" too... Great way to stir emotions! Greg Wilson is a great teacher and funny too! :P

There's no way to live... buy both and become a whole new magician (I got them off a friend so I'm happy!! :D :D)
I'm sorry but I guess I'm just not too hip anymore, Daddy-o. what the heck IS XCM? Extreme Card Magic? What does that mean? Super flourishy stuff or what?

Man, am I square. I'm just so out of touch with these rock and roll kids these days and their loud Van Halen music and ripped up trousers and short skirts. Heck, I hear women aren't even wearing girdles anymore. Scandalous!
XCM or eXtreme Card Manipulation is simply doing cool stuff with cards. To this type of worker, a deck of cards is what an acrylic ball is to a contact juggler.

Now, this advice is since dated, due to the age of the thread but....

With both of these dvd's, you're gonna want to put in a TON of practice. Card Stunts has some nice stuff, but, IMHO, it's really more tricks that you end up doing, simply so you can brag about how hard that was.
As far as Generation eXtreme, I think it's obvious how much practice goes into it, simply by the demo video.

For my money, Card Stunts is the better buy ---> If you want to learn manipulation, go get The System, by Dan and Dave Buck.
Card Stunts is one of my favorite all-time DVDs. It is definitely not your typical pick-a-card video even though the entire video is about card effects. Although I can't do it, " Boomerang Card Of Death " is a personal favorite.