(Close Window)
Topic: On This Day...
On this day in 1907, Clarence Melvin Burkhart was born. Next year, on the 100th anniversary of his birth, we will do a big party in Coney Island. All are invited, and we will have everyone that does the Blockhead act get up and all do itat the same time. It will be one mass Blockhead.
Todd,
Thanks for the great information!

I will see you in 365 and counting...

Eric
I don't know of a single person who ever met or worked with Mel who wasn't influenced by his act, his patience, or his demeanor. I miss him...
Slim
Sideshow Bennie's birthday is today as well.

HAPPY B-DAY MELVIN!
Sounds like fun! I'll do my best to keep the date open :)

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Feb 22, 2006 09:36AM)
A mass blockhead? What an original idea! I wonder why nobody else ever thought of that! Oh wait.... I did.. at the last SSG. Seems everyone thought it was a bad idea.
Hey Nipps-

I dunno if I was there when you brought it up, (I was only there Friday), but I thought the "issue" was with doing it as a Guiness Book record attempt for some reason.

I may be wrong about that; I'm not even sure that wasn't something I heard second hand.
[quote]
On 2006-02-22 10:36, thegreatnippulini wrote:
A mass blockhead? What an original idea! I wonder why nobody else ever thought of that! Oh wait.... I did.. at the last SSG. Seems everyone thought it was a bad idea.
[/quote]

They were wrong. And I don't really care about the whole Guiness record thing. I like that folks in our area of show business have gotten some press by obtaining records. That's what the thing is for. But I'm not a big fan of jumping through their hoops to get acnowledgement. Now drinking Guiness...that's something I DO care about.
Down the hatch, without a scratch!
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Feb 22, 2006 03:27PM)
Brilliant!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Feb 22, 2006 04:23PM)
When I brought it up at the Gathering, the Guinness Record part wasn't fully essential to the stunt. The reason it was shot down, and I quote "it (the mass blockhead) will make it look like doing blockhead is too easy", to which I replied "and a mass sword swallow doesn't?". Meanwhile, both ARE easy if you know what you're doing. It seems whenever I come up with an idea, regardless of what it is and who it's explained to, there is an automatic knee-jerk reaction to just shoot it down. This is a problem that I have been coping with for a while.
If Krista and I can make it, we'd be honored! Did you get the nail I sent? (with the torches) It's one of my old ones...
Slim
[quote]
On 2006-02-22 20:07, sanscan wrote:
If Krista and I can make it, we'd be honored! Did you get the nail I sent? (with the torches) It's one of my old ones...
Slim
[/quote]

I'm sorry to be remiss in not commenting about the nail. I got it and will cherish it always. Thank you for it. It's the same size I use.

Todd
"I'm sorry to be remiss..." Er, does this mean you're in remission? <G>
Slim
[quote]
On 2006-02-23 00:40, sanscan wrote:
"I'm sorry to be remiss..." Er, does this mean you're in remission? <G>
Slim
[/quote]

If I had a mission, I might be.
[quote]
On 2006-02-17 08:38, Todd Robbins wrote:
On this day in 1907, Clarence Melvin Burkhart was born. Next year, on the 100th anniversary of his birth, we will do a big party in Coney Island. All are invited, and we will have everyone that does the Blockhead act get up and all do itat the same time. It will be one mass Blockhead.
[/quote]

I will be there in spirit!

Is there a history of the human blockhead BEFORE melvin burkhart?

He certainly made it popular and created it as a sideshow but did he actually invent it?
Insertion of objects into bodily orifices is older than history.

Melvin made it into a modern-day act, and became history.
Like Mr. Johnson, I'll most likely be there in spirit as well ;) I'll have to take a picture, stick it on a birthday card, and send it in.