(Close Window)
Topic: Out of all your impromptu trick which one gets the most reaction?
We always do small tricks when we ask to. Which small, quick improptu trick gets the most reaction?

For me pen-etration is my usual finale and it hits everybody till they see me again.
I like the quarter bite the best. The gimmik's a little expensive for such a small effect, but the reaction is well worth the time the trick itself takes. My freinds love it.
Rhing Thing,
CMH
for me.
I've taken to carrying my Haunted Key around with me. It gets excellent reactions (at least in my neck of the woods).

-- Jake
Greg Wilson's 3/4 Accross. Or Coin in Soda can although that isn't really small or quick.
Black & White Surprise always goes down well for me, or Ring on a String which I learnt from a Walter Gibson book
I get great reactions with jay sankeys mr clean coins across which is very similar to 3/4 across by greg wilson,but cmh goes over great as well.
The one that gets most reactions is Ashes In Palm. I do it like some Voodoo thing... People are scared of me after that

Daniel
I have been playing around with paper balls over the head and it is a great crowd pleaser, probably not as pleasing to the spec as it is for everyone else.
Jay Sankey's Killer Key!
This always kills!

Go very slow and be very simplistic and redundant when doing this for people that have been drinking. You don't know how many times people have said what? You didn't do anything!

Jay
Either Jay Sankeys Departure Time or an impropmtu version of McDonlads Aces I learned a while ago from an old Dai Vernon tape.
Whilst performing for high school seniors at grad night at my alma mater one of the parents came around with pens and forms for a drawing to win a car. One of the kids handed me a pen and said, with a gloat, "Here, Mr. Magician. Show us some magic with this."

I went through my version of [i]Gregory Wilson[/i]'s [b][i]Recap[/i][/b]. The kids were floored. "He can do magic with [b][i]anything[/i][/b]!"
Out of all your impromptu trick which one gets the most reaction?

It's the classical application of the muscle pass, very impressive réaction, poeple remember this effect a very long time...
Two times you put the coin in your left hand and let it fall in your right, and the third time muscle pass from the right hand wich is under the left...
damien
Dai Vernon's "Triumph" has always received great reactions for me.

Regards, Steve
The part in recap where the pen ends up behind my ear. I have seen other magicians perform this and they try to make this comedic by doing it slow and jokeingliy but if you do it seriously they don't notice for a while then you point up and bam knocks there socks off.
Is it me or are half the effects named here not really impromtu?

My favorite effect is fading coin.
Truly impromptu: Coins across, Recap, Perfect Center Tear or for a larger group, Max Maven's "Desire" From Prism.
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
You gotta remember, I'm often surrounded by eight year-olds.

At my last impromptu performance, somewhere between the Color Changing Aces and CMH I was deluged with cries of:

[i]"Pull your thumb off againnnn! Pull your thummmmmb offffff!!!"[/i]

:rolleyes: *Sigh*

Regards,

-jjg
I always got the biggest response with Milbourne Christopher's "Homing Match". I did it for the first time in a long time recently for friends from work at a happy hour. It blew them away! To my surprise, I got my MUM magazing the next day and it was printed right there! Fate? Perhaps.

If you get MUM and you don't know the trick, give it a try. It is truly impromptu - just sneak someone's matchbook at a bar. My tip: try to use a book with only about 5-6 matches left, all near to each other in the middle of the book. Think of how the matches look before and after the effect to the audience.

Enjoy!
I use Criss Angel's quarter in soda can. Impromptu and plays really big (especially when you shake the can and they can hear it inside)!

Haas
Bill switch/

Paper to $20 note-always a strong reaction-can be done anywhere!
When I get asked to do something on the spot I usually do Dan Harlan's Starcle. They get to keep the star, and for smaller fans I sign it. Moms and Dads love my patter, and the kids get something to walk away with.

Scott
CMH
Pinnacle
Sinful (Quarter through Soda Can)
What is CMH ?
CMH = Crazy Man's Handcuffs
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 23:14, EvanSparts wrote:
[/quote]
You are right but is that important?
IMHO The only important thing is that they SEEM impromptu to the spectator
TJ
A TT miracle. All the expected magic: vanish-appearance-change whatever.
If magically naked I'd opt for a spoon bend, quarter in soda can (sinfull) or a mental experiment.
[quote]

[/quote]

DITTO!!!!
Scotch and Soda has done real well for me.
Quarter thru soda can get's my best reaction.
Sponge Bunnies for me.
Sinful works great
Hundy 500 and Mismade Dollar
CMH
Sheep and Thieves
Cut and restored string
I do a killer prediction ala equivoque.

If I have the luxury of a deck of cards, I might do the impromptu version of my three phase card routine or my reworking of Goldman's One For The Money.
Acidus
Quarter through Soda Can, although a lot of times I opt not to perform it since I was not carrying around a Sharpie...the trick just doesn't work nearly as well without a spectator's personal touch to it.

Steven
[quote]
On 2006-02-18 16:59, Jimmy Arson wrote:
I like the quarter bite the best. The gimmik's a little expensive for such a small effect, but the reaction is well worth the time the trick itself takes. My freinds love it.
[/quote]

That is definitely not impromptu. I like Wayne Houchin's sinful.
[quote]
On 2006-03-23 19:33, codysf wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-02-18 16:59, Jimmy Arson wrote:
[/quote]

That is definitely not impromptu. I like Wayne Houchin's sinful.
[/quote]

Huh? What's not impromptu about coin bite? If you carry it with you like a lot of people do, it's completely impromptu.

Skarn
I have a few....but I start with the ripped dollar bill (i guess that's its name)....quarter bite (if I have it with me)....quarter through leg......they all get great reactions....Oh....one thing...."quarter through soda can" (sinful) is probably the one that gets the best reactions, however, I think it is too good to do it as a "first" quick impromptu trick....i usually do it after I've done at least a few more simple ones.....
I find that the vanish 5000 (not completely impromtu, but close enought) from AoA book 1 gets awesome reactions. it is a gimmickless sugar vanish- great stuff.

~Taylor
For me is sinful
Money morph,Rubberband hand cuffs of death,color changing knife.
The arm twist thingy always gets great reactions...
PK touches
PK time
Kollosal Killer
As Greg Wilson points out in "Off the Cuff", there's a difference between "improvised" and "impromptu". For example, when I go to my in-laws house, I know we'll spend several HOURS playing card games (they're really big on that), and I know all they have in the house are red and blue Bikes. So in addition to truly "impromptu" tricks, I'll bring along an extra double-backed or double-faced card or a duplicate of a couple of cards and blow them away with an "improvised" trick using their borrowed deck.

Almost anything "impromptu" (besides the arm-twisting illusion) requires that you carry or borrow cards, coins, a pen, rubber bands, dollar bills, business cards, etc. So why not carry a couple gimmicks with you as well?

To get back to the original question -- in general, I'll do something like "Crazy-Man's Handcuffs" or "Recap", if I can get my hands on a pen or rubber bands. A popular one around the office is "two in the hand, one in the pocket". (Almost everyone around here has bowls full of candy on their desks. Pick up a couple of them, and you're good to go.)
Crazy Man's Handcuffs has gotten me the biggest reaction so far. Its so easy and you can do it a few times over and they still don't see anything. Quarter through Soda Can is cool and one of my favorites but not a lot of people want to give me their sodas and I usually end up drinking mine before I get to perform the trick to anyone who is interested.
For impromptu, I would have to say producing a coin behind someone's ear (preferably a beautiful women or a child) then a coin flurry where the coin disappears and reappears in different places and ways. You can even borrow the coin. End by vanishing the coin completely. If you are carrying gimmicks or rubberbands, how can that be impromptu?

Your friend in magic

Craig
It's been said and I'll say it again- the CMH routine from Ammar's Classic Renditions is quite possibly the best money spent on a killer improptu effect. By the way, coin bite isn't really improptu because it requires a gimicked coin. However, Revolution by Kevin Parker isn't because it uses a borrowed quarter and no gimmicks, pre-setup, etc. The cigarette ash in the palm trick (forgive me for not knowing the originator) that Blaine popularized- is so fun to perform at a college party. Everyone smokes and you can blow their nicotine addicted bodies away! Sinful is awesome, go buy it. Anti-gravity coins ( from one of my first magic books, the klutz book of magic) is supprisingly an effective improptu illusion. Consult Mullica texts and videos for bangin' improptu magic.
For me, impromptu means zero prep. You can grab the stuff and go. No dupes/extras/gimmicks. What the audience sees is all that is in play.

So, the tricks:
-Recap
-Center Tear
-My rubber band routine
-Pulling off pinkey(finger fantasies)
-borrowing a coin and doing a muscle pass
-thumb through ear
You knoe, I like anything rubberband.
Sinful never fails me.. This is an amazing effect. Enough said :)
CMH, 3/4 across, and in restaurants, if I'm asked, the jumping toothpick always gets people's reactions.

Also Shadow Box, occasionally, depending on the size of my pockets that day.
Hmm, for the best reaction I would have to say...
Harry Bernard's "Perpetual Coins'
or really quick impromtu
Coin thru Hankercheif followed by Revolution...
or even quicker
Torn and restored match. ;)
I often wooden tooth picks in a "Mind Over Matter" where you rest them on the tips of your fingers and they hop. Coines and rings also play well.
The newest one for will be stigmata
[quote]
On 2006-03-13 01:11, pdmedic wrote:
Scotch and Soda has done real well for me.
[/quote]
that's the most impromptu one.. :goof:
[quote]
On 2006-03-12 20:46, magic4545 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

DITTO!!!!
[/quote]

Totally Agree!!!
I feel some people are forgetting what magicians mean by IMPROMPTU
I thought that impromptu was being able to perform a magic effect NAKED with items that are around you.... not a magnet up your sleave or a bite out coin!!

Come on guys!!! This is the basic stuff we should know!!
[quote]
On 2006-05-09 11:53, tomwoottonmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-03-12 20:46, magic4545 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

DITTO!!!!
[/quote]

Totally Agree!!!
I feel some people are forgetting what magicians mean by IMPROMPTU
I thought that impromptu was being able to perform a magic effect NAKED with items that are around you.... not a magnet up your sleave or a bite out coin!!

Come on guys!!! This is the basic stuff we should know!!
[/quote]

See, now that would be your opinion of what impromptu means.

From the dictionary, the definition of impromptu is:
"Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation"

Notice it says "with LITTLE or no prep....not just no prep.

So why change what the actual definition of a word.....I take things literally when it comes to a words definition.

Think about it....under your definition "naked", would mean there is no such thing as an impromptu card trick since you wouldn't have cards....

Skarn
[quote]
On 2006-02-21 08:58, yachanin wrote:
Dai Vernon's "Triumph" has always received great reactions for me.

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Triumph is awesome! I love performing it .
I have gotten some unbelievable reactions using stigmata.

-Matt
T & R cigarette gets my best reaction as an impromtu effect...Kills
Ambitious Card
I'll second Starcle...Great napkin effect....
I suppose it would depend on the audience:

* For little girls, sponge bunnies all the way.
* For little boys, just do random impossibilities with a couple of quarters, and give the quarters away at the end of it! *grin*
* For female spectators (adults, that is), having her read my mind with BCS takes the cake.
* For male spectators, bah! I've yet to find something that works across the board for me.

Cheers!
Keith
Kathy's Screwy Finger Bit. NO props at all, done TO someone's own, personal body and it leaves them with a "gosh-wow!" moment that they keep for the rest of their lives.

Findable in the Magic Menu Jim Ryan Special Issue.

One of the few effects that can be done IN the swimming pool at a nudist camp! It doesn't get more impromptu than THAT!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
PK Time
PK Touches
Metal Bending
For Andruzzi
Prevaricator
Cloud Melting (if weather permits)
Free Will with borrowed/found objects
Center Tear
Psy. Sub's
Terasabos/Final Picture
Rowland's NMDD (drawing duplication).
Positive Negative with no out
Tsunami without cards
Muscle Reading
The Hoy book test
Readings
Psychological Card forces
On the spot "mini healings" ala GeoTran, NLP and EFT.

Get naked,
Jerome.
[quote]
On 2006-05-25 05:35, whoton wrote:
T & R cigarette gets my best reaction as an impromtu effect...Kills
[/quote]

Reminds me of something I did to my brother once when he had ****ed me off. His pack of cigarettes was on the table. I had him select and sign a card. Then I asked him to hand me his cigarette pack. He looked at me dumbfounded. I smiled smugly and took out a cigarette and started to tear it apart. When it was obvious the only thing in it was tobacco I looked chagrined and said, "Wait, wait.." Then he started to smile smugly. I took out another cigarette and tore it apart without apparent cigarette.

I was about to tear apart the fourth cigarette when he suddenly realized that I was just destroying his pack of cigarettes right in front him.

Then I got to smile smugly, one last time.
[quote]
I took out another cigarette and tore it apart without apparent cigarette.
[/quote]

D'oh! I meant "without apparent effect."
Sankey's Grafitti always gets a good reaction, if you don't neccessarily know the people you are performing for.
I'm assuming that by "impromptu", the question is, what effects would I do if I forgot to bring ANY props or apparatus. Basically, magic done with borrowed items, common "things" you would find while out at a restaurant or a friends house.

Some of my favorite impromptu effects are:

Coin through the cellophane on a pack of cigarettes
Crazy man's handcuffs (if rubber bands are around and can be borrowed)
Tipless bill change
3/4 across (Greg Wilson)
Recapped (Apollo and Wilson version)
Blank card magically printed to my business card
Jumping tooth picks

Brian Nordstrom does a great money paddle with a common table knife.
Also, John Carney has a fantastic impromptu paddle effect with a knife and napkin pieces in his book, Secrets.

Steve
The one that works for me is impromtu Out of This World.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jun 16, 2006 10:35PM)
I'm with the impromptu purists. To me, gimmicked items would only be impromptu if someone asked you to do a trick and you didn't have any props, but you happened to be in a magic store. Otherwise it's performed with props you can find on a table or desk or ask the host to get for you. It could also be done with cards just handed to you.

I like CMH too. Girls love it when I do cord/rope through neck. Just 2 rubber bands or a rope, no set-up. That's impromptu.
A lot of Sinful and Stigmata listed... and I completely agree. Those are two KILLER effects that can be done completely impromptu.

However, if you don't mind wearing one, and I do pretty much every day, KUNDALINI RISING is just about the most unbelievable thing you can do to someone... especially if you're at someone's house using a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards.
Balducci levitation and re-cap revisited...I'm looking to get Sinful soon.
Sinful is not impromptu. Its also not pratical. Not all cans have the bottom like what is needed. Then you destroy the specators can, and drink. And to do the full routine you need a pocket knife to open the can at the end. that's a prop.

Stigmata though... Excellent trick. I have my own routine which is far more impromptu, but whatever works for you.

Steve
Re-cap is great, but one that's been working like a freakin' charm lately is Paul Harris's Fizz Master. That one really gets people.
For truly impromptu, I usually borrow an item and do some vanishes and Sylvester Pitch.
I find that the best impromptu tricks are coin across, fading coin and sinful.
CMH - I've also come up with a killer version to re-link the bands (one strand at a time), which is similar, but much more impressive than Dan Harlan's method. Plus, it is done while they are burning your hands- it's planned that way. Plus, I have a method of unlinking them as a follow-up to cmh that is freaking unbelievable. I may put it in print someday. Oh, I also do the rubber band effect where the band rolls back to me on the floor after being shot. I learned it from Dan Harlan's video. I've got a killer patter for it. It is a definite crowd pleaser. It's so good, I almost don't want to share it- even though its not my own!
My favourite for impromptu performance are...

No Smoking lighters routine I recently learnt from Jean-Luc Bertrand
Two card monte I saw D. Blaine perform
Card vanishes and productions algo work well sometimes mixed with any "choose a card" trick...
Center tear
bill change I will ask the waitress, bartender etc. to borrow a dollar from the tip jar, turn it to a five and give it to them. No TT used. all impromptu...that is if I have a five.
May cost a bit but folks remember me.

If I know I might be asked to do something I make sure to have some coins and a vendetta wallet with me.

simple, clean...
[quote]
On 2006-07-09 21:14, kunal_nba wrote:
My favourite for impromptu performance are...

No Smoking lighters routine I recently learnt from Jean-Luc Bertrand
Two card monte I saw D. Blaine perform
Card vanishes and productions algo work well sometimes mixed with any "choose a card" trick...

[/quote]

Oh of course I forgot about Balduci Levitation after performing a few tricks.. that make's them go really crazy :)
For me
CHM, pinnacle, Bill switch

I have not gotten great reactions from Starcle, but probably because I haven't taught of a good presentation for it.

Has anybody heard of Ring through Spoon? and where I can learn it or see a demo of it?
thanks
Finger through ear
flip stick
trick were you make a toothpick fly up when it gets touched by another one
broken and restored rubberband
Any of the tricks from my body magic book, most especially 'The magicians finger through the spectators finger' which is a non-prop, impromptu trick I invented which has got probally one of the best reactions from all my body tricks.

Steve
http://www.magicmystery.co.uk/bodytricks.htm
[quote]
On 2006-02-23 10:34, jgravelle wrote:
You gotta remember, I'm often surrounded by eight year-olds.

At my last impromptu performance, somewhere between the Color Changing Aces and CMH I was deluged with cries of:

[i]"Pull your thumb off againnnn! Pull your thummmmmb offffff!!!"[/i]

:rolleyes: *Sigh*

Regards,

-jjg
[/quote]

Well, you better hurry up and do it. You don't want THEM to do it for ya! :)
A ball and coin flurry I came up with some time ago. (transpositions, changes, etc) And it can be done impromptu by using a balled up napkin and a borrowed coin.

Using a bill change to change a piece of napkin into real money. (I use Manuel Muerte's gimmickless bill change so this is imprompru)
Well, defining "impromptu" as "just using things that you find around you" then my personal favourite is the three-cup do-as-I-do routine. It's stretching the definition of magic somewhat (cos I tend to play it until everyone's figured it out - you can usually have at least 10 minutes of fun out of it, honest!) but it's a really good way to practice audience management. Basically it's the one where you line up three cups, two face up and the middle one face down, and in three moves (turning over two cups each time) you get them all face down, and the spectator can't replicate it. The most important part is to pick your spectator well (someone who doesn't mind being a bit embarassed, but doesn't sit back and think about things - they like to get stuck in and "learn by doing". Being a little bit drunk always helps too...) and intercept them when they start to figure it out, then lead them off on a tangent. Set it up so that everyone else around them "can" do it and it's a great laugh!
Chris
For me, it's my version of Triumph! People can't believe all the cards comes back all facing the same way except for one card ... their selected card!

I'm working the handling of Sinful right now and I can't wait to have it right to perform that wonderful effect. I'm sure, like a lot of you said, it will generate great reactions!
Some great ideas on this thread! The thing that gets the best reaction for me is my version of Coin on Shoulder etc. All done with one borrowed coin. Finishing with the spectators watch loaded on their shoulder. Kills the lay audience.

If the situation is right I use some strong psycological work with coin bends (not actual bends, just percieved bends in the spectators hand) When you get a believer... Boy do they freak out!

James Brown
Magician NOT the Godfather of Soul (sadly)
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

Salt Shaker thru Table
Impromptu Out Of This Universe
Here are my favorites in order of audience impact:

- Center Tear with Stigmata reveal
- Baducci (if timed right and they don't already know it)
- self-routined metal bending (Banachek inspired)
- Infusion (coin through drinking glass - can be a weak effect if not practiced extensively, but I modified the handling a bit, and for some strange reason I obsessively practiced this one - I can even break the rule and repeat it, which hits them even harder the second time)
- Sinful
- Ring Thing (Garrett Thomas dvd)
- Gimmick-less scotch and soda (modified version of Ammar's from "Intro To Coin Magic" dvd - in my version I hold on and reveal the switch in both hands at the same time - relatively simple sleights, but always hits really hard....go figure)
- self-routined coin flurry (Bobo inspired) with Revolution vanish at the end
For me stigmata or luke jermay`s pulse stopping and stopping other persons pulse
I agree completely with illusiOHN. CMHC and Saltshaker thru Table have been my favorites for years. I'll also add Pinnacle.
Mine has to be Crazy Man's Handcuffs.
[quote]

[/quote]
not really sure either what some of the people here interpreted as impromptu.
I will have to go with sinful by wayne houchin.it floors!

-Matt
Sinful and Stigmata are definetly two of my most successful routines. I always get good reactions from them.

Jay Sankey's 22 blows to the head has some very nice impromptu tricks.

I especially like "Formal Affair" the spoon bending trick.
Hey Fethry , if you like metal bending you should definatly check out Erick Castle's Gallerian Bend.go to http://www.vinnymarini.com for a preview.it's also available as a download there.
all the best

-Matt
Although not (IMHO) usable for every impromptu situation, I'd have to go with PK Touches
[quote]
On 2006-08-03 02:36, nbps05 wrote:
For me stigmata or luke jermay`s pulse stopping and stopping other persons pulse

[/quote]

Banachek's version of Stigmata always gets a great reaction.
My Foot Twisting Illusion. Often I combine this with the Twisting Arm, but not always.

This is the trick that will get people's attention. This will get those people to call other people over. It is a trick I can do over and over again and get the same reaction from people.

Just as a question to put out, how many people here would like a trick like this? I have considered putting this to market, but I have been hesitant. If there is a high demand, I would be more inclined to put it out.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Dec 26, 2006 09:09PM)
TT with sweet and low. Can do anywhere and it floors people. I also do the twisting arm, in the winter obviously and it just doesn't make sense to people. I usually follow that up with saw. People are heading for the exits after that one. I love freaking people out,especially when they think you are going to do something silly or childish. They never forget me when I leave. :)

I am just a hobbyist so I just usually carry a few items but with my limited knowledge, I would pick those. Some of the other posts are good too. Great thread, good ideas. I like to carry small hard hitting things. I have cargo pants and sometimes they seem to weigh 50 lbs with all the stuff I used to carry.
I have a lot of fun folding a hank into a mouse and running it around, also the pellet trick with peanuts, balls of paper, match heads or whatever. Milburn Christopher's Homing Match also.
2 card monte is my favorite, great trick!
Definately Stigmata by Wayne Houchin