(Close Window)
Topic: Ebay cup nonsense
Did you ever wonder how stupid they think we are?

Currently, there is a "trick" on eBay. The listing reads:
"3 Cup Magic Trick Unbelivable Trick"

There is no description of the "Unbelivable Trick." So I asked the seller what the effect was. His reply:

"it is a kids game to play. You put the clip under the cup and try to have
the other person guess what one it is under."

The "Unbelivable" part is that some yo-yo would put a piece of junk like this up for sale on eBay. Wonder who will bid on it.
If I win it I'll certainly spring for the $19.60 for overnight express shipping. I mean, after all, who could stand the excitement of waiting!? ;)

Greg
What the? I just did a search on that. Ridiculous! Sellers like this "technical daddy" should be punished.

Hmm, maybe I am wrong. Imagine that under each cup is a clip (clipped) and slight pressure releases the clip under the "wrong" cup... probably not! :)
Why do you think I post this here? It is punishment.

Was für ein Misthaufen!
A sucker is born every minute; remember buyer beware!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Feb 25, 2006 06:51AM)
But the cups are translucent!?! I want to convince someone in "New to Magic" to buy it, just to hear what the instructions (if any) say. I bet Roland is right. "You think it's under here? No it's under *CLUNK* this one. Now let me stick it way up under the cup, and you can guess again."

Bill, will you use the same photo when you add them to the museum?

By the way. I like eBay's search function. Maybe we should get somthing like that here.

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:39am
--------------------------------------------
Aw. He's not selling any other magic. I was hoping he'd have a chop cup routine with refrigerator magnets and a steel cup.

Too bad he isn't selling the stuff he was smoking, when he put that up for auction.
This is hilarious! The cups are translucent, and anyway, it probably costs less to get some drinking glasses and a paper clip. I wonder who's gonna buy this. "Hello! My name is techdaddy, but some people call me LIEK DAVID COPPER UM BLAYN!"

Josh, that's hilarious. What about sponge balls? "Note: sponge balls may not actually be balls. But you can cut it into the shape of one... just get the soap out of it from the last time I washed dishes with it before you do. Comes with complete car washing um I mean MAGIK instructtcitongts!"
I wish this idiot would register here. What fun!

If he just hadn't called it a magic trick!
Zigzag boxes stuffed with little sheets of flash paper.
Ooh! Ooh! Or maybe "Mickey Mou um hades finger gilloteen": Two table knives taped together at the base at a right angle. "Warnig: not responsible for butter sprea um fingerr liek falling off or sometig"
Ebay has become a pretty sad place and this is just one example. Many times things on Ebay are over retail. Sometimes its just junk.
Yep. The trick is knowing the difference.
You know what would be really funny? If this guy is just so bad at describing what is in fact a total killer trick that almost no one buys it and then down the road the one person who does does it at a bunch of conventions, and everyone is just blown away, and then we find out it's this moronic sounding trick on ebay? Personally I think that would be a hoot. That's about as perverse as I get though. Best,
Maybe if we gave this effect to Libor he could work something out with the translucent cups, he did it once, maybe he could do it again, that would be Magic.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Feb 27, 2006 02:32PM)
Brad, I had the same thought. He's probably the youngest Bamburg, who decieded to sell the family's last biggest secret.
Josh, just think of how many times the write up of a trick in a book, etc. sounded really terrible. Next, week you see it done by someone at a magic club. Where'd you get that you ask your brother magician only to find out it's the trick you thought would be terrible.

Frankly, I think Bill nailed it, but I still think it would be a hoot if it turned out to be a really cool trick...it's the imp in me. Best,
I'm watching the auction, if it stays at $1 with an hour left I might just take one for the team and buy it. A VERY DETAILED review would follow, naturally, maybe even a video clip!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 1, 2006 03:52PM)
MinnesotaChef that would be too funny. Not to mention it might encourage him to release the manuscripts for the "Got your nose magic trick" and the "Pull my finger magic trick".
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 3, 2006 09:46AM)
5 hrs left and no bids. The real collectors always wait for the last minute.
Last 3 seconds with snipe software!
Ooh! Better buy it before time runs out! It says: "Thanks for asking!!! [b]Yes[/b] it does [come with instructions] but remember it is for all ages no [b]skill[/b] required!!" [b]Oh boy!!! buy buy buy! Paper clip and plastic cups: dream come true, and instructions included![/b]

[b]Edit:[/b] Kids of all ages? Just think about that for a second, techdaddy. Kids. [b]Of asll ages[/b].
That's a fairly common expression in the States. Circus ringmasters used to say [b]"Ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages"[/b] as the beginning of their opening statement.
Ah... Time's up. No surprise that no-one bought it.
Dag, and I thought you guys would fall for it. I was hoping for the money to buy my Engraved Sherwoods.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 3, 2006 07:02PM)
MinnesotaChef, where were you!?!?? We laid low to avoid a bidding war with you. Now he's probably dragging a steamer trunk to the curb saying "You were right Maude; No one is going to buy Grandpa Okito's box of junk!". Like the indian rope trick we will wonder if the translucent cups and paper clip thing was in fact a trick for children of all ages. Someone, please contact him. I need to know. I need to see a demo video and read a review. My weekend is ruined.
This has got to be the funniest thread I've read here in a LONG time!!
I love garage sales!! we have one and I almost sold an ID for 2 bucks...
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 13, 2006 08:59PM)
And limited quantity
Well, just when you think it couldn't get any stupider, it does.

Currently, there is a set of brass mini cups on eBay that are advertised as being made in France. The opening bid and Buy it Now price are $495.

This is a set of brass mini cups by Magic Makers with some extra balls and a silver plated jewelry box.
Oh god, lets hope no one is silly enough to buy them!
$495?! I'll say they've got extra balls!
This false advertisement is seriously getting out of hand. It's illegal.
Well, here's the end of the bit. I don't know whether I was harsh in my judgment or not. I was going partially by another listing he had which implied a lot of things about a particular item that were worse than questionable.

When I sent the seller a message explaining where the cups actually were from, he withdrew them.
Bravo Bill! At least you know you had a positive effect. Who knows maybe the guy bought them and paid a premium and now he is embarrased at his mistake.
Chances are...the guy was trying to make a quick buck...

johnny
In either case, thank you Bill for going out of your way to try to eradiacate some of the false advertisment out there. You probably just saved someone not in the know $500.
Umm guys, it looks like they're back...listed for $295 this time. Yikes!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 30, 2006 04:14PM)
He also has unpublished Cardini home movies for sale???
According to his feedback I'd steer clear of this guy.
Well, here's the real story on those cups. Somebody is putting these together out of Magic Makers sets. They take the Chinese Cups, give them a high polish and put them in a cheap "silver" jewelry box that you can pick up at any Chinese outlet store for a few bucks. Bob doesn't tell anyone these are made by anyone but MM or that they come from anywhere but China.

He also sells them for $48.00.
Somehow some data got left out of the previous post. I was pretty tired when I posted it. I saw some of these sets at the Magic Collectors Association Weekend in Washington, DC. Bob Little had them for $48 a set. They were in nice silver plated jewelry boxes, along with a lot of extra balls. The cups had been highly polished, as in the ones on eBay. I asked Bob if they were the MM cups. He said that they were. When I told him about the guy that had them on eBay, he was floored!

Bob also had some nice sets of Khin of Cambodia mini cups in display cases. I'll have pix in the museum later.
Down to $79.95 Cheep! Cheep!
Yes. Did you notice that nobody has bought them yet?

Another victory for "The Swatter!"
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 27, 2006 10:28AM)
That first guy should package his translucent plastic cups and paper clip thing, in a silver collector's box. (shoe box w/silver spray paint of course)
[quote]
On 2006-03-30 17:14, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
He also has unpublished Cardini home movies for sale???
[/quote]

I bought a set of these last year and the quality was horrible; there's a lot of crap out there for sale right now. Buyer beware!
Going down again, only $69.95. A REAL bargain ;-)

QH.
He may finally get them down to list price!
You can report sellers to ebay that you suspect is making fradulent claims.
Don't know how much good it does but they say they investigate.
Who knows? He might have really bought them from France. ;)
They are nicely polished, that's worth something. After reading Mad Jake's tail of cups gone wild, I can see one of these little brass cups would be a virtual bullet coming off a buffing wheel. :bg:
Did you see the other set of plastic cups and dice? It had a better story anyway. :confused:
Now Gazzo's are going for over $600 on ebay! Really tall animals.

FYI, Magicpitch.com web site has a few sets left for only $325.
[quote][i]On 2006-06-04 21:55, Magic.J.Manuel wrote...[/i]

Now Gazzo's are going for over $600 on ebay! Really tall animals.

FYI, Magicpitch.com web site has a few sets left for only $325.[/quote]
Those particular cups are the Mega Thick Tall Animals, and were originally sold directly by the manufacturer, Gary Animal, in his eBay auctions. They are an inch taller than the regular Gazzos or Animals, are made from almost twice as thick of copper, and are over twice as heavy. A set of them weighs more than 2-1/2 pounds.

When they were first available, just before Gary moved from England to New Zealand, he sold a few sets on the Buy-It-Now deal for over $400. Several more were sold at auction prices. Gary sold a couple sets directly, not on the auction, to a couple lucky owners. Only about 15 sets of these were made, and at least one set was badly damaged during shipping to the purchaser in the US. They actually are quite rare.

This same set of cups was on auction a week ago with an opening bid of $149, and surprisingly the auction closed with no bids at all. The current bid price of over $600 might seem a little high, but these are possibly the thickest, heaviest, sturdiest, chick sized street cups ever made. They are certainly competitive with Michael Lee's Millennium Cups, the Paul Fox Chick Cups, and Pete Biro's Galli-Galli Cups. So for someone wanting to use these as working tools, $600 isn't really all that unreasonable.

Greg
A set of Riser Jumbos recently went for over $600, as well. I was surprised, as new sets (not currently available, I believe) went for $325.

But all it takes is 2 people who REALLY want something.
I'm actually amazed with all of the garbage one can put on eBay, AND STILL SELL IT. It is almost the best trick in the world. Hehe
My all time favorites are the various food products with the images of various religious characters on them. I may list a set of pieces of toast with various Biblical characters -- collect 'em all! Trade them with your friends!
Reminds me of that McDonalds commercial with the "Lincoln Fry," a french fry in the shape of Lincoln's head.

http://www.lincolnfry.com

People do become fascinated by the weirdest things...

Steven
[quote]
On 2006-06-10 00:31, Bill Palmer wrote:
My all time favorites are the various food products with the images of various religious characters on them. I may list a set of pieces of toast with various Biblical characters -- collect 'em all! Trade them with your friends!

[/quote]

You can now buy a "Jesus" fry pan with the image embossed into the metal. It's perfect for mass producing those "one of a kind" eBay sandwiches!
MMM. Jesus cakes..... Sacrilicious!
Are you serious, Dave? That's unbelievable. Oddly enough, that doesn't sound that far fetched though.
Yes, unfortunately I'm serious. Here's a [url=http://jesuspan.com/] link[/url]
THAT is hilarious. Oh my ...person. Now I wonder how much money he (they?) make.
I'm still waiting for the grilled cheese sandwich with the image of Jesus Christ that I paid $25,000 for. Boy it's gonna taste good!
It goes really good with a red wine. Dark red.
Make sure the sandwich is made with unleavened bread.
There is a new scammer on eBay. Well, not really new, but they are, shall we say, "overly proud" of their magic tricks.

Their latest offering is a large Morrissey Chop Cup for the low starting bid of $29.99. That's US dollars. It does include free shipping.

A quick trip to the Morrissey web site reveals that the price of the cup is $29.50. That's Canadian Dollars. This is $26.17 USD.

That means that you can get the cup from Morrissey for the same amount that you can buy it on eBay. Shipping will be about the same from Canada as the difference in the price.

If this gets bid up any more, though, the fellow who made the first bid will overpay for the cup.

It pays to do a search on EVERY new item you see on eBay. I've seen the Buddha chop cup from Fantasma at a starting bid of $169.50. It lists for $150.00.
I don't want to rain on any parade but I'd like to remind everyone of what Bill has already said, do your homework.

I've made some very good purchases on eBay at very reasonable prices. I bought a set of Johnson cups after another magician finally bit the bullet and bought Sherwoods and his Johnsons just collected dust.
I just bought some copper Bazar de Magia cups from an ebay store with good feedback. However, minutes ago, I got a message from the seller that when they pulled my package to ship it, they found it was aluminum cups in a box marked copper. Their distributor is out of copper cups, too. I'm now back ordered for at least three weeks.

I'm off to check if they're still listing copper cups.
If they are telling the truth then you really did get lucky. I can easily see a distributor not looking inside the box. Your's did.
I agreed to wait for my cups and suggested they remove further listings for copper cups until they have them.

I got another response back thanking me and saying they'd remove their current listing.

Now I can only wait and see.
Very little chaps me more than a person who lists something on ebay that they do not actually have. I purchase magic sets just for the cups and balls sets. Don't get me wrong. I don't cannibalize good, rare magic sets just to feed my addiction. So, I purchased a magic set from a kid in Canada. I always pay immediately. I sent him a message asking for an invoice, and did not hear from him for a week. So I finally sent him a message that explained that I wanted to get this transaction over with, and that the courtesy of a reply would be nice.

He told me he couldn't find the instructions. I replied that I didn't need the instructions. I told him to take all of the tricks out of the box, put them in a small box and send them to me. Instead, he packed up the whole thing in a big box, and it cost more to ship it than the magic set did.

Weird.

Sometimes it pays to read feedback very carefully, even if all of it is positive.
Its number 26 on the list.

http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/tunes/tunestop30.asp
The latest offender in the cups and balls nonsense poll is a fellow who calls himself luv2havfun. His listing reads:

FRED KAPS CUPS AND BALLS DAI VERNON Michael Ammar RARE

Now, there are three lies in this line. They are as follows:
1) Dai Vernon had nothing to do with this routine.
2) Michael Ammar had nothing to do with this routine.
3) It isn't "rare." Just to prove this, I purchased one this morning from Denny and Lee.

The first two points mean that this listing is what they call "celebrity name spamming." He knows about this, because I have sent him a message about it.

The third means that the seller is a liar or an ignoramus.

But you don't have to fall for his bogus listing.
Well, the eBay bandits are at it again.

One has a set of the Original Phoenix Cups up with a starting bid of $125.00. He says he paid $250 for them a couple of years ago, and calls them "Bertram Style Cups."

Here's the burn. The ones that people paid $250 for had a Certificate of Authenticity with them. He "lost" his. So, they are not worth as much.

Another clever entrepreneur has purchased some of the bathroom tumblers from Wal-Mart and wants $30 for them. Nice try. If you want some of these go to Wal-Mart. You can get the same set for about $20.00.
I almost got cought! tanks for aswer my pm bill,i didn't know it was in here.
those bathroom tumblers looks like a real cups for the cups and balls!!
It is forums like these and looking out for each others "Six" taht will help us overcome the Scammers.

One does not ofbject to paying fair value for good product as advertised.

Getting bent over the barrell... that is a different matter.
Here's another. There is a fellow who is selling what is purported to be some nice brass cups. The photo is doctored. The photo is the same cup three times. Not only that, he fails to mention that they are by Trickmaster. And he included a free trick that was a knockoff of one of Tom Ladshaw's items.
I should add this -- after I sent a message to the seller that I was disappointed about the knockoff trick and the Trickmaster cups, he offered to make a refund. I told him I appreciated it, but I would keep them anyway. After all, how can I complain about a set of overpriced, junky cups, if I don't have a set in the museum?
Bill, I've got a nice set of IMPROMTU® paper cups left over from a birthday party and I'll sell 'em to you really cheap!

Chris
I hate to tell you about this, Chris, but those are knockoffs of the original Dixie® cups.

These are not to be confused with the Dixie® Chicks, even though they share some of the same characteristics.
What the cups are you guys talking about??
Just paper cups. The original paper drinking cups were called Dixie® cups. We would have put smileys in but we thought everyone would get the joke.
[quote]
On 2006-10-03 03:12, Bill Palmer wrote:
I hate to tell you about this, Chris, but those are knockoffs of the original Dixie® cups.

These are not to be confused with the Dixie® Chicks, even though they share some of the same characteristics.
[/quote]

Bill, here above the Mason Dixon line we call those Cups of the Southern Transgression.
Southern Transgression -- Northern Aggression.
You can now go to that major on-line auction site and bid on a Cups And Balls Combo With Chop Cup. A photo of a set of cups appears in the ad. They look like they might be made from aluminum. There are some balls in the photo which look like yarn pompom type balls. The cups are very similar in design to some extremely inexpensive Combo sets. But you never know. Unfortunately no written description accompanies the ad. But for a person willing to take a chance, you might end up with a bargain here. After all, there is a low low opening bid of only $247.95. Hurry, hurry, only six days left on this one!

Greg
I PMed the seller of those cups. It was an error. He has since corrected the listing. They were actually $24.95.
Just a little mistake
Kinda like an atomic bomb is just a little explosion...
Oh what the heck, just one decimal place and an extra zero.
[quote]
On 2006-10-26 15:48, BSutter wrote:
Oh what the heck, just one decimal place and an extra zero.
[/quote]

And a lucky number "7" for good luck! LOL
I'm coming late to this party but I just thought you might like to know. I have it on very good information that the auction for the translucent cups and "clip" that started this thread was pulled. It seems that a certain some one felt the auction infringed on a certain copyright whose name will remain Saul Pox.

I must have been the last one to buy Gary's animal cups when he moved to NZ. I won, but never got response to my payment. Plenty of good reports from the faithful with explanations, and the money back eventually. What am I to do? I'm down to my last fifty sets of cups.
Gary is in New Zealand now. I think his e-mail address is magictwit@aol.com . I'm not joking about this.
Thank You!
I am no longer able to add to this collection.
Very cool cup&ball museum you have.
Thanks. Seriously, contact Gary. He's a stand-up guy.
Another vouch for Gary. Good guy.