(Close Window)
Topic: Impromptu Books...
Any in mind?
While not all books, here's some sources.

Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" has tons of stuff and no cards.

Coin books and videos may be good for you.
J.B. Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic" is a must if you don't already own it.

There are also videos by Dan Harlan, Gregory Wilson, Tom Mullica, Jay Sankey and others who have worked exclusively on impromptu tricks.
Got em all...except for encyclopedia (that one I wrote down and I will be getting it when I have some money!)

Thanks for the reccomendation jaz, you're definitely the best guy I know on this forum!
Some of the material in the "Art of Astonishment" series of books by Paul Harris are impromptu...
I heard the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is discontinued because the author wants to release a second improved version. Does anyone know?
Raphlo2,

Mr. Gardner is not currently working on a new version of the EIM. BUT, someone is.
I do not feel comfortable revealing who is presently working on it, but Mr. Gardner says that it will come about "someday."
Peace,
Parson
Lifesavers by Mike Webber, if you can find it...hands down the #1 Impromptu Magic Source...but that's just my opinion...

RJ
Later & Out
The two best books on this subject are the Gardner book and Scarne's Magic Tricks.
The Amarr(sp) video Icebreakers has some good stuff.
Banachek's PK Time and PK touches are great, though they are only one effect each, they are incredibly strong. Docc Hillford's "Real Time Mentalism" series also has some great impromptu mentalism.

Dan Harlan has a series on rubberband magic that is mostly impromptu
Do a search and you would of found that there was already a thrad on this in the same section, just a few beneath this one:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=149700&forum=52&15

Daz
You can buy Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic book by Martin Gardner with Hank Lee's Web Page.
Lifesavers by Mike Weber is the only magic book I have read from beginning to end in years. Instead of just jumping around, etc. A GREAT book, but appears to be out-of-print at the moment. Best,
The cheapest copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic I can find online is over $150!! Hank Lee no longer has it listed, and it sounds like the new version hinted at above will be awhile in coming out. :(
Up until a few minutes ago I was high bidder on a copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia on eBay at $62. In the last EIGHT SECONDS some guy who hadn't even been bidding on it before jumped in and outbid my maximum $77 bid by ONE DOLLAR to snag it for $78!!! I've been on eBay since the very beginning and can't understand how he could time it so well. I was sitting there refreshing every 10 seconds at the end, and he jumped in and grabbed it. I'm heartbroken. :(
According to my sources, a NEW edition of the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic will be coming out sometime soon. Magic, Inc, I believe, will be publishing it, in hardback and, while it will NOT be at the old price, I doubt that it will be up in the $150 range, either (at least, I hope not!).

Some other sources for impromptu stuff include:

Slydini Encores
Stars of Magic (Vernon's Impromptu Cups & Balls, Slydini's Flight of the Paper Balls, Carlysle's Watch Steal, for instance)
Dai Vernon Book of Magic - quite a bit of material in there is essentially impromptu, frankly.
The Best of Slydini

Just for openers.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Check out [url=http://miraclefactory.net/]Miracle Factory's new website[/url]. You can now pre-order the limited edition of the new [i]Impromptu[/i].
The pre-orders appear to be only for a limited edition at $300. The other book listed on the same page also has a $300 limited edition, and that one also has a $150 'regular' edition. If the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic's regular edition comes out for a comparable price of $150, then it will be just too costly for amateurs like me. This is, of course, an okay price for professionals - and I must assume that's who they're marketing this edition to. My maximum would be $75, which I would gladly pay. I'd even pre-order.
[quote]
On 2006-04-29 21:29, airship wrote:
Up until a few minutes ago I was high bidder on a copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia on eBay at $62. In the last EIGHT SECONDS some guy who hadn't even been bidding on it before jumped in and outbid my maximum $77 bid by ONE DOLLAR to snag it for $78!!! I've been on eBay since the very beginning and can't understand how he could time it so well. I was sitting there refreshing every 10 seconds at the end, and he jumped in and grabbed it. I'm heartbroken. :(
[/quote]

look up 'auction snipe on ebay' on google, to find out what he did.
Thanks, Dave, but I already know about sniping. It's just that this guy had only bought a few items on eBay before, so it didn't seem like the kind of trick he'd pull. Plus his name had 'magic' in it and he has never sold anything online, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't a collectibles dealer. I didn't even THINK about sniping being a problem with a magic book. That's the kind of thing you see done for tech gear and big-money collectibles. Of course, I guess this book has become a big-money collectible, hasn't it?
Just now managed to snag a copy of the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic on eBay for $64, shipping included. I couldn't be happier!

I just had to gloat. :)
I see everything has been mentioned...
except for Daniel Garcia's "Next".
it's a set of lecture notes that includes impromptu effects.
I presonally love and use all of the effects when I perform in bars.
you should also look into jay sankey's impromptu stuff

-Matt
And of course , Tom Mullica ... I can feel getting older ;)

-Matt
Not a book, but worth checking out. Larry Anderson's "Jaw Droppers" has some really good impromptu stuff. Material there for the beginner to working professional. I have been using his stuff for years and it never fails.

http://www.jawdroppers.com