(Close Window)
Topic: Help Needed With Peanut Butter & Jelly
Hey Guys,

I use the great Peanut Butter & Jelly in my kid's show and it gets great reactions. I have been doing it with the same set for about 2 years now. The problem lies in the soft plastic "covers." They are getting "tacky" and are beginning to stick to each other. If you own the trixk, you will know that it is important that the lids and the gimmicks slide upon each other smoothly. I have actually had a reveal occur at a show a few weeks back because of this darn stickiness.

So what can I use to "powder" or make this soft plastic more dry or smooth? I know doll collectors use baking powder on the flesh of dolls to keep them plyable, but I do not know if this is good for the plastic of this trick. It seems this plastic is very sensitive to liquid cleaners. PB&J is a bit too expensive to buy it new every time the plastic gets tacky.

Please let me know how I can get this great trick back to its "new" condition.

Professor Fineous
This is sheer guesswork on my part, but you MIGHT try dusting the insides of the covers with baby powder. Let it set overnight, then gently brush out the excess.

Again, this is off the top of my head--I've not done it.

Good luck!
I use the auto cleaner Armor-All.
I also use the auto cleaner Armor-All. (Oily is better than sticky.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I have used baby powder on my covers, and it worked pretty well. But I do like the Armor-All idea very much. I am going to try that out!
Depending upon when you bought your P,B & J (hopefully you have the original Tim Wenk/Metimpirical Magic version and not a knockoff), one of my instruction sheets tell you some very detailed hints about how to and NOT to store and transport the covers. My later instructions don't have these comments. My first set suffered from "shrinkage" in the covers for some reason (I got 'em used), but my latest set is holding up fine. I'd try the Armor-All.

Steve
Professor Fineous:
As an aside, how do you protect yourself from the risk of peanut sensitivity?

Bob
Just my 2-cents. But I use non-stick cooking spray and that works very well for me. I take the spray to the show and just before the show starts I spray the insides and it works great. I have also heard that you can use WD-40 but I have yet to try this.
To keep away from peanut allergies...(firstly, why is everybody SUDDENLY allergic to peanuts? I'm 43, and if all these people had suffered from this when I was a kid, we would've starved!)...don't do the sandwich part of the routine, or IF you do it, which I have...I eat the sandwich to conclude the performance. Then be sure to not breathe on any child who could be allergic to you and your new-found peanut butter breath.

Steve
No kidding. It seems some folks are concerned that a kid in the audience who has a severe allergy to peanuts will suddenly leap up, rush the magician, wrestle the peanut butter sandwich from his hands, eat it, then drop dead.
Steve V
To solve Stevethomas's problem of "peanut breath," you can always spray WD40 into your mouth after consuming the sandwich.
[quote]
On 2006-03-03 13:50, jimgerrish wrote:
To solve Stevethomas's problem of "peanut breath," you can always spray WD40 into your mouth after consuming the sandwich.
[/quote]

And to solve the problem of the peanut putter sticking to the roof of your mouth, simply sprinkle some baby powder on the sandwich before taking a bite.
Steve,

You forgot the most important part of that scenario, after wrestling the sandwich out of your hands, consuming it and dying...they they SUE YA!

Steve
[quote]
On 2006-03-03 13:44, Steve V wrote:
No kidding. It seems some folks are concerned that a kid in the audience who has a severe allergy to peanuts will suddenly leap up, rush the magician, wrestle the peanut butter sandwich from his hands, eat it, then drop dead.
Steve V
[/quote]
As hard as it may seem for you to believe, a child does not have to EAT the PB to get sick or die.

Peanut allergy is probably the most common cause of death by food anaphylaxis in the United States.

People can have severe reactions just by inhaling the odor or fragrance of peanuts. Allergists agree people with peanut allergy can die after ingesting or inhaling minute amounts of peanuts or peanut products.

Bob
I also have used baby powder to dust the covers and it works well. I will try the armor-all however.
Wellington (Bob Johnson): Can you post your source for this information?

The sources I see, like http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/peanut.html make no such claims.
http://allergies.about.com/cs/peanuts/a/aa122898.htm

One of many references.
Bob
Hi,

The rise in peanut allergies is a serious concern to health professionals all over the world, in fact it's more than doubled in the years from 1997 to 2002. This is not meant to bash anyone using a particular effect like PB and Jelly but to warn about the potential dangers of using this. In my school district, schools have warning signs on the doors alerting people and some are peanut free schools if one of the children has an allergy.

I've said it many times but it is that serious - the smell, an accidental touching of someone whom has an allergy if one has just eaten a sandwich and has some residue on their hands can cause a severe anaphaltic shock. Even touching an inate object like a desk that contained a PB sandwich can cause it to happen. Unlike most other food allergies, PB to some children can be fatal.

It may have been the stuff that all of us ate as kids but for some unknown reason -the rise in food and other allergies has been on the increase for the past 20 years.Please read a short news clip from MSN which I've posted below. It's really nothing to make fun of for those of us always warning about the dangers. It's taken seriously enough that recently a mass majority of schools in the US and Canada have banned the product as well as five major airlines no longer serve nuts. Unlike other food products which people have allergies to..those with peanut allergies can go into full blown shock without having eaten the product themselves but just being in close proximity.

http://www.drpaul.com/library/08SEP2000.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/05/18/peanut.allergies/
or this one:
http://www.allergyasthma.on.ca/peanut1.htm

Chrystal
Oh the joys of over reaction. Did some of you bother to read and then, lordy help us, comprehend what they were communicating? One was particularly hard core anti peanut. If you do not pulverize a peanut and thus send peanut death clouds at the children, smear them with peanut butter, kiss them in a manner which would cause them to get peanut butter out of your mouth, or feed them something with peanuts or peanut products in them they should be perfectly fine and survive until they kill themselves in their late teens. I know, some of you are saying to yourself, "No, Chrystal said they just have to be in close proximity! That means we should ban the use of peanuts worldwide and save the children!". It is true that if you are around someone handling peanuts that are from the shell the act of breaking and eating them can cause there to be the evil peanut cloud of death. Peanut butter, as is found in a peanut butter sandwich, is moist. Check it for yourself, see how it is moist? This moisture prohibites the evil cloud of death. Moisture is often used to contain dust particles. If you were to take an oyster and dry it then crush it the dust produced would effect one allergic to shell fish.

The real question is while you are rolling the peanut allergy ridden child around in peanut butter should you take precautions to make sure they don't touch the other items used in the routine should their eventual doom be complicated by a latex or simular allergy? What I found interesting was the belief that the cause of these allergies may be the anti germ fanatics who are not allowing certain tolerances to build up. I also get the sense that some of you don't even want the poor peanut child to even see a container that never contained peanut butter but looks like it could have because even the visual allergy would be too much for the waifs.
Steve V
At my daycare center, we did stop cooking meals using peanut oil in the deep fryer, because we do have one child that canít have peanut products. But we still have peanut butter sandwiches, and peanut butter cookies. The ones that canít have them get something else.

Some are allergy to cheese products, some to fish, some to juice, etc, etc. If we started dropping products or changed our menu to fit all, be hard to serve them meals.

The odds are about the same that the child will die from the P&B trick, and getting choked on your magic wand.

Tom
Hiya Steve,

Greetings to my nemesis by the way. :O) Drat the prozac isn't working these days? Ah well back to the matter at hand..regardless of if you believe the World Health Organization or not..just make sure you have hefty insurance or at least an epi pen on hand. After all not my place to say what effects one should use but just making people aware of the potential dangers. I'd think it's just awful of parents of 3 year olds whom have the allergy not to let the kids run around with needles myself! Okay...now deep breaths...everyone is happy once again.

Your Pal always
C
I've decided to ban children with peanut allergies from attending my shows. I don't even do the PB and J, I just don't like children with peanut allergies and I don't want to risk having a passerbye returning from a baseball game sneeze and sending particles of peanuts into the air. I'm also demanding that these children be banned from ball games in general as well as flying on airlines. My main concern is a preschool serving deep fried food to the chillins.
Steve V
I have always wanted to add the PB&J to my show, without the sandwich bit. I have seen many funny versions that don't require the sandwich.

Has anyone ever objected to seeing the PB jar (which I assume is not full of real PB)
Remember, they don't know what is or isn't in the sandwich so do it minus peanut butter. Knowing the whack jobs running around I bet you would have a mother of a peanutly challenged kids whine about the visual.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-03-04 19:38, N.Bacon wrote:
Has anyone ever objected to seeing the PB jar (which I assume is not full of real PB)[/quote]

At one time, someone commented about having actual parent / teacher objections to just seeing the PB jar, on another older thread about PB&J.

- Donald
Some of the kids might be allergic to THINKING about peanuts, so I guess I should just sell my original Tim Wenk/Metempirical Magic PB$J effect and props as a collector's item for $300 to some lucky NON-allergic person.

Steve
Steve, sounds like a deal for somebody.

Letís just hope, it being ole, it doesnít contain a lead-based paint, a big killer of children.

Approximately 890,000 children in the US alone aged 1-5 years have blood lead levels to high. Caused mainly from paint. Magicians should check all their props.

Tom

And please donít forget to help protect those poor little ole spotted neck, one legged birds out there somewhere.
I was going to mention paint but was afraid it would start a panic.
Steve V
My solution to the issue is to talk to the parents and make sure they know that my usual routine includes a peanut butter sandwich and balloons, and to find out if anyone in attendance at said event has a peanut/latex allergy. If so, I just use different effects. I also have them sign something that says that I told them there would be peanuts and latex involved with the show, so if they didn't tell anybody about the use of those products, I can't be sued.

-Alex Leidy
Yes the paint issue is a big one. Concerned magicians should take their props in to be tested. Unlike the peanut butter that kills the child on the spot, not only can lead poison kill a child, it can cause learning disabilities, hyperactivity, attention deficit disorder, behavioral disorders, neurological damage, stunted growth, anemia, hearing loss, and sometimes mental retardation.

But getting back to the food thing. Almost one third of the population omit certain foods from their diet because they Believe they will cause an allergic reaction. The most frequent food allergies are to milk, eggs, peanuts, fish, nuts, citrus fruit and tomatoes. Under certain conditions, any of these could kill a child. Or even you.

Any use of a food item in your show could make certain children/parents jump.

Hot Dogs are a major cause of choking. Any mention of them could bring back bad memories to many.

Kids get sick from sour milk everyday. Using a milk pitcher could be bad taste.

Eggs are a no-no to some children. Using the egg bag is not a good idea.

Children have stuck crayons up their nose and been rushed to the doctor. The coloring book could bring back bad memories to them.

More than 20 percent of school-age children suffer from allergies. Make sure your props are free of dust,hair,animal dander, etc.

So please folks, warn them about peanut butter.

Tom
I don't use the real PB&J sandwich as the kicker, and likely never will. The trick itself--that is, the gimmicked jars and their tubes--aren't going to hurt anyone as long as they've never been in contact with real peanuts.

How about ending with a funny foam sandwich? Lots of comedy possibilities when the magi tries to take a bite! When that doesn't work, Hershey's Kisses could be produced using your favorite production method and presented to the children after noting--naturally--"Hey! You got chocolate in my peanut butter!"
http://tinyurl.com/8mzke
And that's all I'm going to say on this topic.
I read this thread on Friday wondering what you guys were talking about with the covers sticking. On Saturday, at a show, I found out. :(

(i'll be trying the armor all).
Perhaps we need a manufacturer to make the covers from leather? The old "ball and cone" sets were leather.
[quote]
On 2006-03-05 05:55, rickmorse wrote:
The trick itself--that is, the gimmicked jars and their tubes--aren't going to hurt anyone as long as they've never been in contact with real peanuts.
[/quote]

This is true, but you'd be surprised how many teachers, parents, etc. absolutely FREAK OUT when they see the jar of "Peanut Butter." Even if you've told them ahead of time it's a fake Peanut Butter Jar (I would hate to see these people react when they turn the corner at the grocery store and come face to face with an entire shelf of the real thing!). I have seen numerous threads here recounting such episodes. I performed PB&J only once. It was at a family gathering where I knew there would be no concerns. After reading all of the bad experiences so many magicians are having with this, I sold mine. I decided it wasn't worth having to worry whether or not people were going to panic every time I performed it. I don't need that kind of drama in my life. I figure there are planty of other effects that are just as good or better than PB&J to round out my show.

I've been thinking of other things that could be substituted to perform the same effect just with a different "theme."

The first thing I ruled out was a wine bottle and a glass of wine. :bubbly: :goof:

I've been thinking about possibilities like:
A bottle of coke and a can of pepsi. :pepsi:
A toy mouse and a wedge of cheese (got to watch out for those dairy allergies though!)
Cake & Ice Cream :cake:

etc.

Other ideas, anybody? Together we can wipe this Peanut scourge from the face of the planet!!!! :where: :nana:
Rick Morse - Funny idea with the foam sandwich. David Ginn sells a funny one. It has feathers sticking out all over. You say "This doesn't look like PB and J. I wonder what kind it is?" You open the sandwich to show a mirror inside. Have someone look at it and say "Oh look. Turkey!"
Or in my case I do it to myself and say "Look, it's ham! (Bacon..get it?)

magicbob- I like the idea of a variation on it. I think the coke and pepsi is interesting although there might be copyright issues.
N.Bacon:

Why do you think a Coke or Pepsi would be a copyright issue, are you planning on selling the trick?

Bob
Coke and Pepsi are both waaaayyyyy into protecting copyrights. They will have secret shoppers go into places that sell the others products and, for example, say "Can I have a coke?" and if the person serves a Pepsi they will serve notice to them right there and then. That is why most places will tell you "sorry, we have Pepsi not Coke", they have to. Another interesting thing about Coke is there are soda companies that file suit trying to get the word 'coke' to be generic for a carmel colored soda. This way any producer can sell 'coke'. This is what happened to Formica. Used to be a brand until it became common usage and the courts ruled that the Formica company no longer owned their own name. Now neither will really care if its name is used in the trick except who ever end up on the losing end will likely not be thrilled.
Steve V
I was just brainstorming about various other "pairs" to substitute for PB&J (for my personal use only, not to sell). I doubt I would go with Coke and Pepsi anyway... too similar I think. Maybe just doing a passe bottle routine with a bottle of "cola" and a glass would be the way to go.

But if you did it using an actual bottle (gimmicked of course) of Coke and a real can of Pepsi, where would the copyright infringement be? I've seen quite a few illusions that use gimmicked Coke (as well as Pepsi, 7-up, beer, etc.) bottles, cans, etc. And what about tricks that can be done with any normal soda can or bottle (quarter through can, traditional coin in bottle, healed and sealed). Are you saying that you can't use a can of coke to perform a magic trick? That's like Bicycle saying it's a copyright infringement to do a card trick using one of their decks!
Doesn't PB&J use the Peter Pan peanut butter jar?
I donít see it as being copyright infringement if you are just using the product in a trick. But like Steve said, when you put two different brands side by side and start talking, itís a different story.

Itís also a good idea to be careful how you warn folks about the dangers of Peter Pan peanut butter or Jiff. You canít single out one brand.

Tom
Steve V:
You are mixing up two different things. You could use a Coke or Pepsi in PB&J without any concern about copyright.

Bob
[quote]
On 2006-03-06 18:58, Jim Poor wrote:
Doesn't PB&J use the Peter Pan peanut butter jar?
[/quote]
Different manufacturers of PB&J have used different labels. I have seen at least four our there.

Bob
Let me see if I get this:

- Baby powder, Baking Powder, Corn Starch and Cruexģ, when mixed with Armor Allģ brand leather, vinyl & rubber protectant, will prevent the vinyl covers used in the Peanut Butter & Jelly trick from sticking to the fake vinyl & polyvinylchloride peanut butter jars, (with fake, non-specific labels that do not identify a brand)preventing unwanted flashes or reveals of the workings of the trick.

- Upon seeing the fake peanut butter jars, parents, teachers, children and anyone else who is now allergic to peanuts, thinks they might be allergic to peanuts, or knows someone who is allergic to peanuts, will become immediately concerned, distressed or panic stricken.

- Some magicians have stopped doing the trick in order to avoid potentially alarming their audience members and their lawyers.

- Alternative props were suggested, only to fuel another off-topic discussion about branding, suggesting that Formica, Kleenex, Kotex, Band-Aid, etc. have lost the ownership of their own names because they have become such household names.

- This topic went from a question about sticking covers to arguments about the validity of food allergies.

Did I miss anything?
Nope, that about covers it. Basically the world is full of wussies.
Steve V
Apologies to Rick as it does appear that his post was hijacked.

Wellington and I were trying to caution those using the effect about the potential danger of PB and Jelly to those kids that have allergies. Kinda like a public service announcement to those that may have not known about how serious this type of allergy can be. As a teacher and the schools first aid person I've personally had to administer the epi pen twice within the last year. Yes, it was accidental exposure to PB.

Not once did we say you stop using the effect, although personally I wouldn't perform it at a birthday party in such close proximity to the kids, just please be aware of how serious it can be to a child that has this allergy. You'll have aprox 3 mins.

Chrystal
Then make it clear that the problem is if the allergic child INGESTS, or eats for you dvd learners, peanuts or peanut butter there can be a reaction ranging from a rash to severe. Most don't go into severe.

SMELLING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction as the oder does not contain peanut protein. SEEING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction. If the kid rushes you and rolls in peanut butter the best way to resolve any rash that might occur is to...get ready...wash it off.

This comes from The Peanut Allergy Book by Dr. Michael Young (Harvard and Yale) as well as research done at Mt. Sinai Medical Center.

So do your freakin' PB & J, stop whining, and don't force feed a peanut butter sandwich to a kid who is allergic to it, in fact, don't feed it to any kid at a party. Dang, this will come up again in a couple months and the 'oh the poor peanut challenged might eat the sandwich!' crowd will return.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 11:58, Steve V wrote:
Then make it clear that the problem is if the allergic child INGESTS, or eats for you dvd learners, peanuts or peanut butter there can be a reaction ranging from a rash to severe. Most don't go into severe.

SMELLING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction as the oder does not contain peanut protein. SEEING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction. If the kid rushes you and rolls in peanut butter the best way to resolve any rash that might occur is to...get ready...wash it off.

This comes from The Peanut Allergy Book by Dr. Michael Young (Harvard and Yale) as well as research done at Mt. Sinai Medical Center.

So do your freakin' PB & J, stop whining, and don't force feed a peanut butter sandwich to a kid who is allergic to it, in fact, don't feed it to any kid at a party. Dang, this will come up again in a couple months and the 'oh the poor peanut challenged might eat the sandwich!' crowd will return.
Steve V
[/quote]

It's not the kids who are the root of the problem. It's the overprotective, panic-stricken parents and teachers (who DO seem to think that just looking at a fake jar that resembles peanut butter will result in children dropping dead where they stand). :goof:
You are right about the wacky parents and teachers. I say we feed all of the parents and teachers peanut butter and hope for odds to kick in.
Steve V
And just how is it that in the last 5-10 years... EVERYONE has peanut allergies, ADHD, etc. when it was almost unheard of 20 years ago????
ADHD was popular as were the other initials. The actual problem for most of the cases was LOP, this stands for Lack Of Parenting. I spoke with the gal who runs our counties special education department and she told me the parents who use to diagnose ADHD etc (with their expert parenting skills) now are calling her claiming their kids are autistic. Unfortunately that takes away from the much fewer kids that are. It is also wonderful for parents to have kids that are allergic to things. Kid eats a peanut butter sandwich, goes outside and eats a snail, throws up....viola he must be allergic to peanuts.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-03-08 12:10, Steve V wrote:
The actual problem for most of the cases was LOP, this stands for Lack Of Parenting.
[/quote]

:rotf:
Sounds to me like another proof of Darrow's Third Law of the Universe - The only Element More Common Than Hydrogen is Stupidity.

I am deadly allergic to certain kinds of hot peppers - jalapenos and chinese fire peppers for certain, but, over the years, as I have gotten older, the allergy has lessened, as allergies are wont to do.

Someone needs to hit these overprotective people with a CLUEs Missive!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Humidity will cause the covers to stick. Move to a dryer climate and only perform in airconditioned areas. ;)
Good advice Joe, also works for TB.

Lee, most peanut allergies (and other allergies) lessen by the age of six. Strangest thing I ever saw relating to allergies was my best friend who always suffered severly from hay fever, allergies to pollen. He had to get shots every year it was so bad. He developed cancer and prior to dying went through a couple heavy pollen seasons and he said that for some reason his system shut off the allergies when he got sick.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-03-09 15:46, joe.bacchus wrote:
Humidity will cause the covers to stick. Move to a dryer climate and only perform in airconditioned areas. ;)
[/quote]

A reply that's on-topic???? What's the meaning of this??? :goof:
Do you think a dry climate and air conditioning would help to spread the Peanut Cloud of Death? I heard that the Taliban was trying to find a way of spreading goober dust in subways.
Steve V
[quote]
On 2006-03-09 19:35, Steve V wrote:
Do you think a dry climate and air conditioning would help to spread the Peanut Cloud of Death? I heard that the Taliban was trying to find a way of spreading goober dust in subways.
Steve V
[/quote]

No, you've got it all wrong... why go to the trouble of developing a delivery sytem for toxic peanut dust when they just need to show the kids a PICTURE of a tan jar that resembles peanut butter and they will start dropping like flies! :goof:
True...visual terrorist. I am gonna get a PB and J though.
Steve V
Ummm, I don't know quite what to say. I thank everyone for replying to my post. I just wanted a "technical" question answered. This was my first question to this forum. Do all questions develop into moral and medical dissertations?

BTW - The Armoral seems to work the best with no mess. Thanks.

One more thing - I have performed PB&J more than 200+ times and no one has EVER even came close to mentioning allergies.

Thanks again,

Fineous
Yes....when ever the evil peanut butter is mentioned it turns into this.
Steve V
Try Jolly Roger's Ridiculous Ravioli. It has an unbelievable finish, and the tubes don't stick. http://www.comicmagician.com/products_page.html
What about children with allergies to wheat products? You animal!
Steve V <---concerned about the babies
Funny guy...Steve! You might be interested that Peanut Butter and Jelly is a very American thing, whereas Ravioli and Chicken Soup is universal. Hence, the Brits will love this trick as much as the Americans! PB@J has never really taken off over the pond.
Now if we order from you it ships from the UK or do you have a partner in the US to reduce shipping costs?
Steve V
No Steve,

It ships to you from the USA. The next state to you, Arizona. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
By golly you are correct! The phone number on the site is in Arizona!
Steve V
I bought some fishing weights to put in the inside lids of the PB to weigh it down so it will give me a sure fire show of PB when I lift the cover without squeezing. Any suggestions on how to attach them securely? I thought about duct tape, but am afraid it could come off during the show. BTW, these are the weights I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EHMOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 part epoxy glue.
Paul, Gorilla tape is the strongest duct tape.
Thanks guys. Maybe both!
Gorilla brand makes both the glue and the tape. I was gonna suggest both! LOL! Belt and suspenders type of guy (that's "braces" for you Limeys).
Whatever.