(Close Window)
Topic: Trapasso illusion
Who is the author and who executes the [b]Trapasso[/b] illusion (passage through a steel leaf which lays on a table is covered by a fabric)?
Where it is possible to look video?
http://www.dominikmagic.com/English/paypal/item069/item069.htm

As with most of Dominik magic, not sure if it will work or not. But it's the only time I've ever seen it for sale.
David Copperfield is doing this illusion in his show right now.

Johnny
The original idea is made from Andre' Kole.

Dominik Trapasso is a very horrible copy!!
Where it is possible to look this illusion in execution Andre' Kole?
Is a description of this illusion?
Andre Kole's son, Tim, performs this in his show...you might be able to find footage of him performing it. (I belive he did it on one of the Champions of Magic specials)

Bryan
There was a videolink on the Café for German Magician Franklin performing "Flying" and in the same thread I believe was a link where he was doing Traspasso.
The illusion looks GREAT! To bad it's a rip off though.. LOL

I wonder if the method is different from Andre Kole's?
Where's Franklin's video?
Do a search for Franklin and you'll find it easily.

Johnny
Man, that site is scary. He has a lot of knock-offs. Including Compressed... Bummer.

tpdmagic
Christian Farla bought Steel Plate. The same one you see on YouTube.
http://members.home.nl/magic.evi/Farla/Farla's%20nieuwe%20show.JPG
EVI
You want a Ferrari or a Ford?

Dominik builds workable stage props, and did get his start buying at least one each of the top illusions and then recreating them, often cutting corners. This meant sometimes size was clunkier, wobble appeared, etc., BUT nothing that could not be "tuned" out of the model to make it work.

Then came his run-in with Walt Blaney who was justifiably upset (furious) that his ladder and plank was knocked off -- but found that, like many magicians, he had no legal recourse EXCEPT to sign future sales (and those from the past who wanted to) to a trade secret agreement.

If anyone knows the history of TELEVISION, one way it became popular was for certain manufacturers to buy the original expensive (mostly hand-wired) sets, and then, for cost reduction, begin eliminating parts until the thing would not work, and then put back only those parts that allowed it to work, using that as their production model. Then they would figure out further savings by fooling with the dimensions of where stuff inside went, often in clunky places that made it easy to assemble at lower cost. And the TVs worked -- mostly -- and quality and length of service was not good, but they were cheap and available. AND a lot of TV repairmen made a good living because of them, AND a lot of kids got to see Howdy Doody who never would have otherwise.

I have intermittently used and had (still have the ladder plank) various items by Dominik. All work, and all have needed some changes and tune-up to work for me. So I always add about 15% to the price, including shipping for modification.

BTW, one of the great prop builders for mobile shows has suffered the slings and arrows of the establishment for years. I feel it is unjust and had used his stuff constantly and well, and I speak of Jim Sommers.

I feel this way -- if you want patent and copyright or confidentiality protection (enforceable), take the trouble and expense to do it legally. You can save yourself the expense, heartache, and problems Walt Blaney faced before confidentiality agreements became part of his business of magic.
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 15:40, chmara wrote:
I feel this way -- if you want patent and copyright or confidentiality protection (enforceable), take the trouble and expense to do it legally. You can save yourself the expense, heartache, and problems Walt Blaney faced before confidentiality agreements became part of his business of magic.
[/quote]

Magicians ethics are based on morals, not legal documents. Ethics....remember that word?

Best,

Tim
Thanks, Timmy!
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 14:44, MagicErik wrote:
Christian Farla bought Steel Plate. The same one you see on YouTube.
http://members.home.nl/magic.evi/Farla/Farla's%20nieuwe%20show.JPG
EVI
[/quote]

Who did he buy it from?

Terry
Let's all buy Kia's and race them at Daytona!
Hey Bill,

See you at the finish line, after I fix the car again!

Robert
Some people just don't get it! ETHICS!!!!
Is Franklin's version a rip off?
Well, I know that the one Christian Farla has is built by Bill Smith and absolutely not a "rip of"... It was also bought via Bill Smith. And believe me, if you see it for real, you know this one is not a copy, it is a real Trapasso/ Steel Plate. You could buy a nice car for the price of it....
EVI
Irish-matt: Franklin´s illusion was built by Guido Neunkirchen. (www.startrixx.de)
Yes, right! I confirm.
Hmmm... OK, who is allowed to build these things? It seems that every builder around here makes them... :wow:
EVI
OK, now this is turning into a morals thing, and guys, we have talked about this time and time again. I know that there are a lot of magicians that want to become illusionists and do searches online for illusion builders, not knowing that most of the illusions that they want needs to be built by an authorised builder. I have seen this when I was overseas. When I mentioned that to another illusionist (who should've known better) he nearly took my head off ranting about he's had it for x years and he spent his money on it! Never the less, this is supposed to be a brotherhood, and we need to first start teaching ethics before we teach a French Drop!
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 17:02, Timothy Drake wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 15:40, chmara wrote:
[/quote]

Magicians ethics are based on morals, not legal documents. Ethics....remember that word?

Best,

Tim
[/quote]

Agree 100%, Timothy. Everyone not sure of what it means should pick up a good dictionary and look up the definition of that word.
So... Does anybody know if Startrixx is an authorized builder of the Steel Plate illusion? It seems that they are authorized sellers of Punchinger products.

So while people are screaming ethics all over the place, does anyone actually know if there might be an authorized builder working in Europe?

The Startrixx site also has listed a version of Melinda's Drill of Death with a few modifications. I know hers was sold to a performer in Europe a few years ago.

Matt
The Drill of Death is so nice and similar to the original one that I suppose Startrixx is an authorized builder! It is a super work.
The owner of Startrixx is very nice and builds strong props.
Startrixx doesn't have any permission to build the "Thru Steel" (Trapasso), "Dream Vision", "Drill of Death", "Water Tank"...illusions.
Thank you for clarifying that, Rafael, and bringing us some facts from Europe.

You have to wonder why a FISM winner like Franklin wouldn't get an official version of the prop. Like Christian Farla, he was only a phone call away from Bill Smith, and unlike Farla, decided to take the knock off route. Very sad.

Matt
Their thinking is: Buying the original version of this illusion is to expensive for one TV show...and the Magic Orvellis (one of them is the owner/builder of Startrixx) is a good friend of Franklin.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I don't know of a single performer who has the rights for the Drill of Death in Europe - yet, there are at least 3 performers using this illusion in Europe...
I did not build the "Passing Thru A Steel Plate" for Christian Farla, please let me know where you got this information.

The illusion was invented by Andre Kole, and only he, his son, Tim, and David
Copperfield have the rights to perform it. All others are a "rip off"!

Bill Smith
I think there's no existing illusion builder in Europe authorized to build all the well known illusions.
I had a look on the listing of the Illusion Hotline on http://www.magicauction.com, but no European company is mentioned. I think that even the Swiss magician Peter Marvey gets his stuff built in the States.
Dear Oliver-twist,

All Peter Marvey's stuff is built in Europe, but not by illusion builders! (He hires the people himself, or has industrial companies work on his stuff.)
There are some people in Europe building great original illusion, but unfortunately, there are also a lot of people making copy illusions, and most of them look like crap!
[quote]
On 2007-05-24 15:12, Bill Smith wrote:
I did not build the "Passing Thru A Steel Plate" for Christian Farla, please let me know where you got this information.

The illusion was invented by Andre Kole, and only he, his son, Tim, and David
Copperfield have the rights to perform it. All others are a "rip off"!

Bill Smith
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing this up, Bill. Amazing how many rip-offs of illusions you see once you start surfing the web! It appears that distance makes one bolder!

From what I understand, I've seen rip-offs of Squeeze Box, Head Mover, No Feet, Table of Death, Steel Plate, Windshear, and Drill of Death, just to name the ones that Andre Kole has either created or been involved with in some way.

Terry
Taken from "Magician Code of Ethics; Rule #4953"

"If one wishes to keep an illusion, idea, concept, presentation, etc away from those who wish to infringe, desecrate, defecate, ***ize, etc....

.....!!!!!!!!!!DON'T GIVE IT TO Copperfield!!!!!!!!

I saw this illusion TEN years ago from Andre Kole, and I DOUBT that was the first year he was performing it. Was anybody else performing it, except his son? No. Was it an INCREDIBLE illusion to those who saw it, layman and magician alike, and gave a "memento" to those who saw it live? You bet.

But ya give it to Copperfield...

Just my 2 cents

Quintana
(KEEN)-tah-nah
Can anyone provide a link for a video of the performance of Trapasso?
[quote]
On 2007-06-08 06:45, incompletefaro wrote:
[/quote]

Do you mean a legitimate version of the performance or an illegitimate version?

Any questions, see Bill Smith's post above.

Terry
Legitimate version please. Either DC or the Kole family...
WHo is this "Startrixx" mentioned earlier in the thread? Is there a website? I've never heard of this person...
http://www.startrixx.de/
a builder from Germany =(
Here you can see Tim Kole from The Champions of Magic

Just click on the video. The quality is not so good.

http://www.bluemoontalent.com/tim-kole.html