(Close Window)
Topic: What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card
Hi,
Because I want to buy one, I was wandering about the differences between the What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card, and which you prefer?

If I am correct What's Next and Dots Next work the same way, but the Dots Next is a cheaper version?
I am told the Giant Spot Card is essentially the same trick, but with a different method. So I wonder which method you prefer (and why)?

It's going to be for kid’s shows.
I believe these all function the same wit hsome minor variations in the prop itself. I recently saw Rick Thomas perform this in his stage show and I was surprised at how nicely it played. I use Norm Nielsen's version as I like his flat dots.

Dan.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Mar 6, 2006 12:40PM)
I would encourage you to check out Matthew Johnson's (from Vancouver)lecture notes which contains an excellent poem/patter for this effect. I use this all the time and it gives context and a narrative that makes sense for the effect. It tells of your first trip to the magic shop and starts like this... "When I first started magic I went to a store filled with rabbits and silks and magic galore." You have to buy the notes to learn the rest. I use it all the time and recommend it highly.

Smartini

Ps. I think Matthew's web site is something like http://www.magicshow2go.com
I'm interested in checking out these notes, but the page is no longer available, and there's no email address listed. Hopefully the page will be up soon.

Brian
Hi esther:

Rather than any of ones you mentioned in your post, I recommend you get Dinamo for Neilsen Magic. Here is a link - go down a bit on the page and you'll see it: http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_al.htm

The Dinamo card is very deceptive from a fairly close up range. What's Next is okay, but not nearly as deceptive as Dinamo, and it's not much cheaper, so I say spend the extra money.

There have been other cards in the past: I believe Ken Brooke in the UK once produced a giant card where the pips multiplied (instead of spots). The mainly disadvantage to using this style is that you will need distance between yourself and the audience. It cannot be done at a birthday - the kids will see how it's done. Lee Earle's version (he's from the USA) where the card opens up to be an eye chart is nice, but works the same way.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Ron Reid
I don't know who makes the one I have but it is a black metal card with 3-d hot pink spots.
I wouldn't recommend Dots Next. I purchased it and have had some problems working with it. A friend of mine who used What's Next took a look at it for me and said What's Next didn't have those handling problems. Costs a little more but a case of you get what you pay for, I'd say.

You do need a little distance between yourself and your audience, but the routine plays very well. Great reactions.
I agree with Ron Reid that the Norm Neilson Dinamo Card is the way to go.

If you need a childrens routine you might want to check out "Uncle Wiggy’s routine for ‘What’s Next?" at http://www.practical-magic.com. It's near the bottom of the childrens section.

Scott
I have to agree about Dinamo beating the "What's Next" both for performability and deceptiveness. I own a "WN" from the mid-1970's, and the spots are convex, covered with flat black material, and NOT very deceptive at all. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a package of those magnetic sheets (used for your printer to make magnetic business cards), cut my own, and you can print 'em in any color you like to match whatever you card currently has.

I actually prefer the octagonal one from Chalet Magic. It has a more natural progression, from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 (finale)...it's durable as heck, too!

Steve Thomas
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Mar 6, 2006 11:07PM)
Thanks for the link to practical magic...will check out the Chalet Magic version as well
I use "What's Next." I recently replaced it due to a lost spot. (Somehow, ending with 7 spots didn't have the same impact.)

Anyway, for at least the last several years, "What's Next" has come with flat spots instead of the convex ones from the older model.
Wow thank you all so much for your helpful reactions!
Ron Reid your are completly right, if there is one that I can use close up I absolutely prefer it to one that needs distance.

The dinamo card sound really good to me, because a lot of the time I have the kids close by, and if at all possible I like to have them close by!
But I have not (yet?) found an online shop where I cab pay by paypal. (I do not own a credit card).Have not find this one at all in Holland.

The one from Chalet Magic sounds good too. How about distance by this one? Can you have the children close by?

Magicalaurie, thanx for pointing out "dots next" is not the same quality.

Smartine, I cannot get to the poem-pattern on the site, and although it sounds good, I would not be able to use it because I am in Holland and the dutch kids won't understand the English. But thanx anyway. I think it will be the same with the other routine srayproctor mentioned. But I guess I'll get my own routine.

and N.Bacon I think I found your pink spotted one somewhere too. But can you perform this one close by?
Esther, je kan ook een eigen nederlandse tekst maken. (Translation: Esther, you can make also your own Dutch text.)
HI,
I am not sure if it is still made but my version of Dinamo (which also came from Nielsen) has an extra kicker of one of the spots disappearing leaving a hole through the metal board.
Philip, that sounds interesting too.
Haven't read about that yet.
The Dinamo card realy sounds the best to me so far.
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 09:07, esther_scheffer wrote:
Magicalaurie, thanx for pointing out "dots next" is not the same quality.
[/quote]

You're very welcome. Good luck! :)
Phillip,

That sounds very cool. I have not seen that before.

Dan.
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 00:41, BradBrown wrote:
I use "What's Next." I recently replaced it due to a lost spot. (Somehow, ending with 7 spots didn't have the same impact.)

Anyway, for at least the last several years, "What's Next" has come with flat spots instead of the convex ones from the older model.
[/quote]

Oh good. Had one years, and years, and YEARS ago and the three dimensional aspect of SOME of the spots but not all of them bothered me. When (and increasingly it seems, "if") I get around to buying stuff again. I'll have to look into replacing my "What's Next!"

(I made my own "Arrow" trick once, with a patter about a car compass that sent me in wacky directions until I finally gave up and started using a map. The arrow card opened up to a road map. Feel free to use it if it works for you.)
If my What's Next ever wears out or has to be replaced for some reason, I would probably get Dinamo. What's Next is ok and I don't use it very often, so I'm not going to buy Dinamo unless a need arises for a new trick of this type.

Regan
Robert Blake,
My dutch reply to you got deleted, cause we (I??) have to speak English.
So here in English: Yes I will make my routine in Dutch (haha.) :) No sense in trying to be original by doing it in English!
P.B....you don't have a Tenyo "What's Next?", you have a Delben Domino! Keep it or, better yet...GIVE it to me!

Steve Thomas
Delben Domino!

Hi,
yes that's the name of it I bought it many years ago

http://www.martinsmagic.com/?html=full&nav1=collection&key=1209

this is a link
Phillip
Thanx for the link Philip!
Found links to a lot more "dominos" now.

Your Delben Domino looks great.
But also "dotty domino"(stage size) anyone knows this? The colours change. Is it like what's next? or only the colours change and not the number of dots?
Can ou use it close-up?
But I guess the dotty domino is not available anymore??? Ans probably the same goes for Delben domino? Too bad!!!
This is one of those tricks that, despite its popularity, I just don't get. The whole thing seems to me entirely unmagical. I've seen magicians use it in performance maybe a dozen times and audiences usually react with a polite smile and a shrug.
If someone has a very funny presentation for this prop, they ought to market it. Those that I have seen have been lame.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Mar 8, 2006 08:00PM)
I would reiterate my support for Matthew Johnson's What Next routine...as I stated already, it gives a reason for the spots appearing and multiplying...check it out and I will certainly be checking out Dinamo
Personally, I like Master Payne's "What Be Next?," a themed version of the Tenyo classic, described in his lecture notes, "Sometimes the Jokes are Just for Me." For anyone interested, Payne is a forum member.
Hello all, I was at the magic shop the other day (ahhhhhhhh joyyyyyyyy) I was looking for props and routines for my summer reading programs "whats buzzin" is the theme and I came a cross a whats next but it was actually a ladybug! unfortunatly it was our of my budget for this program, but it seemed very well made!
[quote]
On 2006-03-10 21:57, Magiguy wrote:
I like Master Payne's "What Be Next?," [/quote]

that be interesting. :pirate:
How in the WORLD can any version of this effect be "out of the budget"? You do charge for the shows, right? Even the best version ("Dinamo") isn't that expensive!

I had forgotten about the Abbotts version that I have tucked away somewhere. It's large spots on a domino-looking card, they increase in number, change colors, and the whole thing ends up folding out into an eye chart! How many of ya have this and have forgotten? I KNOW this can't be out of your budget...

Steve
Abbotts domino Card? Unfortunatly I cannot find anything on that.
Chaning colours as well as numbers sounds interesting too!
Yes I do charge for my shows and I do this full time! Since this is a business I treat it like a business that means I set aside a certain amount of money to create a new program (like most professionals do) so I don't just walk into the magic shop and buy "one of everything please" and then just let it all sit on a closet!
I create a show and come up with a list of routines that will fit then I budget for those routines then I ad a little extra on in case I come across something that I had not seen before, the whole point was that the ladybug fit with my summer reading theme but it was 60 dollars for the trick which I had not budgeted!
that's why it didn't fit into my budget!
WOW...$60! Even I wouldn't pay that. I'm wondering who the manufacturer was and why it's so high. Can't really speculate on the quality, since I've never seen it, but if it really fits the theme of the show, I'd go with it anyway. Sell something you have lying around that you don't use to regain your losses. I know most of us who perform professionally have purchased an item with a certain show or tour in mind, and that's usually a very specific item to fit a specific theme. It may never get used again, but if it truly fits the theme of the library shows for the season...I'd recommend getting it. UNLESS, of course, it's cheaply made of cardboard and wouldn't last $60 worth of shows!

Steve T.
By the way, I think the Abbotts item is called an "Eye Chart" or "Eye Test" or something like that. I'll have to dig out some of my (like 25 or so) Abbott's catalogs and check.

Steve T.
Here is a picture of lily the ladybug.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product_image.php?imageid=5135

I read it is from a german manufacturer. In Germany it is called "hugo der marienkever"

http://www.pappnase-co.de/jpgs/136089.jpg
I have a "what's next" type effect that starts with one spot, then has two, then three, and finally four.

The kicker at the end is that you "rub away" one of the spots and you're left with three spots and a hole in the card.

I bought it at a magic shop in the Houston area.

By the way, if you are interested in getting the "Mixing it Up" book, by Matthew Johnson, which includes his "What's Next" routine--please contact me privately.
Well I feel that the other routines I have budgeted for are much better then the ladybug so decided not to go with the ladybug!
it seemed pretty well made though, like a heavy 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic, and it had googly eyes(they always crack me up)
if I remember correctly one of the selling points was that the lady bug is always looking in the same direction so you only turn it from left to right you don't have to flip it top to bottom like the whats next!
Message: Posted by: Angelo the Magician (Mar 28, 2006 05:15AM)
Hello! My "What's next Card" has pips as the Ace of Diamonds . . . Eight of Diamonds. And I think, that only this look of a playing card allows that spectators think, there is really a Three (a third spot behind your hand)! If it is a black board with white circles, it has to be a square, so we can say it's a part of a dice or half of a domino. A black board in form of a playing card, with white circles - no, nobody will think that there are three spot if they see only two!
Check this one out please:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8362&cat=&page=1&xid=d9c575af458868097ff699757ad7fb98

Could be plenty of routines with it.
The eyechart one looks like a great routine, anyone have a link?
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 23, 2006 09:45AM)
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 15:29, esther_scheffer wrote:
Robert Blake,
My dutch reply to you got deleted, cause we (I??) have to speak English.
So here in English: Yes I will make my routine in Dutch (haha.) :) No sense in trying to be original by doing it in English!
[/quote]
My apologies, Robert and Esther. The message in Dutch was deleted automatically by the system. I am so sorry, but The Café rules want everyone to write in English because this is an English database.

Good news: If anyone wants to speak in their native language it is fine if you PM each other. I certainly encourage it! I speak several languages, too, so I have ALSO been deleted before. One word or two as a "thank you" or "hello" seems to be ok.
Dank u. (Thanks.)
I saw Chuck Jones perform at the touring "It's Magic Show". He did a version of whats next. It blew me and some of my magic friends away that do Whats Next in their shows. It was different than the regular Whats Next.

I'm guessing it had a F _ _ P and that how the amazing transition took place. It's been a while since I saw it so I can't remember the whole routine.

All I know it was very very amazing, different and cool. Any ideas? Maybe Chuck had it custom made? In that case it's his secret!
Here is Lily THe Ladybug with free shipping: No M****ts.

http://www.funtymemagic.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1218
Autumn Morning Star. No problem at all. We can speak Dutch on the Dutch forum :)

The ladybug still looks appealing. (I prefer her over the cookie). Anyone got Lilly and is she as good as she looks?
I got this from Chalet magic yesterday, very well made.
[quote]
On 2006-07-24 17:40, esther_scheffer wrote:
Anyone got Lilly and is she as good as she looks?
[/quote]
I saw one at Kidabra and it was very well made.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jul 17, 2007 10:40PM)
Finally got around to ordering a new Dinamo from Nielsen's to replace my old What's Next card. I also just ordered a Snow Leopard Vest from Lee Alex which I think would really add to the routine. The final spots appear on the card and then on your waistcoat...any thoughts on the handling/idea?
Any one know who the maker is for the version with the Black card and pink dots, I bought it at the Bob Little convention, I lost one of the spots and would like to know if I can purchase replacement spots.
I love Mrs Brown's Kooky Kookie. A giant chocolate chip cookie fits perfectly into my kids show. Kids love cookies. Patter possibilities abound.
Message: Posted by: matthewjohnson1234 (Nov 28, 2007 10:30AM)
Hi Guys,

I am a bit late (as usual) on this thread but I am the guy Smartini and a few others have mentioned with the routine for "What's Next". It is published in my book "Mixing it up". Many of you have shown an interest but have not been able to get to my site. In 2006 I had work done on my site to update it but it is now back online at http://www.magicshow2go.com. I do not sell my effects through my site however. My effects are released by Murphy's Magic so can be purchased from Magic stores all over the world, the "Mixing it up" book being one. Simply go to a store such as http://www.hocus-pocus.com and type in Matthew Johnson on the search bar.

If anyone has any questions regarding the routine I am more than happy to help :o)

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
I changed the original What's Next card by adding fun items from the magnet store. I was able to create a special message for a trade show customer.
I just got Norm Nielsen's Dinamo yesterday and have a couple of comments about it. First of all, I like the prop. Well worth the money. The set-up is reversed from What's Next, but if you start with it in your left hand, you're good to go.

I started with What's Next years ago and haven't had that prop for a long time. It was the one with the raised dots. I never had an issue with the raised dots.

Restarting with Dinamo presented a challenge with the dots. I was used to the raised ones, which are very easy to manipulate. The flat ones on Dinamo has taken some getting used to. Had I not had What's Next, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue, but that's just what I was used to.

The last comment is about the gloss black finish - it leaves fingerprints/smudges very easily. Minor issue however.

I much prefer the white dots on a black background. I think it provides better visibility.
Domino: I have performed both What's Next and also Dinamo and I must say I like Dinamo much better. Keep in mind Dinamo was set up for a left handed performer as Norm himself is left-handed. It really is not much of an issue as you get used to it very quickly. It does not effect the flow of the routine or handling. You just have to get a bit used to it.

I like the Dinamo because to me it is even more deceptive. I even fool myself when setting the thing up right under my nose. It is just that strong. Also, from stage, the contrast with white on black just shows up much better for larger crowds and increased distance.

I have had nothing but great things to say about this product. of course this is just my opinion for what works best for me and my wife.

Kyle
I had someone spot the raised dots from about 8 feet away. She didn't figure out how things really work, but might have figured it out with a little bit more looking. I finished things quickly, and put the card away and went to the next effect.
I have never had that happen. I think lighting plays a part in it as well as proper misdirection and your presentation. I also feel that Dinamo tends to be better looking in regards to any possible "shadows" occuring. When setting up the effect before the show, I foten fool myself in that I can not tell which is the gimmick and which is not. =)

Kyle
I believe I've mentioned before about the raised dots being a problem closer that about 15 feet. You can buy VERY thin magnetic material these days to replace or add more dots to any of these props. I also have the stop-sign-shaped version from Chalet, I believe it's called "What's New".

Steve
I still am suprised that you have people "calling" on you that they are opicking up the raised area sand letting you know about it. I have never had this happen and I have had both versions of "What's Next" as well as "Dinamo". I also have done this for people as close as 6 feet and have never had any issue at all.

I think part of it is my combination of proper misdirection and the patter and routining I use. The routine is funny, gets them involved and laughing and reacting in a way that they do not have any time to figure anything out nor do they even want to because they are angaged through out it.

Just my opinion is all.

Kyle
I am working on a version of "What's Next" using a piece of cardboard and a
marking pen.

Spectator signs the card and then you draw the spots on the card.

As the trick progresses the spots appear and are actually drawn on the
cardboard.

At the end of the trick you give the spectator the card as a souvenir
ala the paper from the drawn rising card trick.

Anyone have any ideas and/or research resources for me on this concept?
I want to credit any prior ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (May 26, 2008 11:24PM)
[quote]
On 2008-05-26 06:31, tgaffney wrote:
I am working on a version of "What's Next" using a piece of cardboard and a
marking pen.

Spectator signs the card and then you draw the spots on the card.

As the trick progresses the spots appear and are actually drawn on the
cardboard.

At the end of the trick you give the spectator the card as a souvenir
ala the paper from the drawn rising card trick.

Anyone have any ideas and/or research resources for me on this concept?
I want to credit any prior ideas.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

This sounds like an extremely novel idea and I have absolutely no clue as to how you plan to do it. My routine with the Dinamo card has evolved from the original What's Next version to the Nielsen. I also use the poetic verse that Matthew Johnson alluded to but I changed both the intro and the ending to make it meet my needs.

The next thing I'm going to add is a Snow Leopard Vest. This is the version which turns the vest from all black to black with white spots. I think the Nielsen version should look very cool with the multiple spot ending along with a simultaneous quick change with the vest.

jeff
I have the Dinamo (I think--the black board with white spots, right?). I've used it once or twice but never found a routine I was comfortable with. Will Matt Johnson's poem work with the Nielsen effect?
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (May 27, 2008 12:04PM)
[quote]
On 2008-05-27 11:32, J.Robert wrote:
I have the Dinamo (I think--the black board with white spots, right?). I've used it once or twice but never found a routine I was comfortable with. Will Matt Johnson's poem work with the Nielsen effect?
[/quote]

Matthew's poem would certainly work with the Dinamo board. You merely need to change the reference to the black dots/spots to the white spots/dots. I highly recommend this routine and its very easy to adapt the routine to make it more personalized to your situation. I didn't want to use the lines that referred to buying magic at a store as it seemed to suggest that if you buy the trick you can be a magician. I've changed the beginning and ending to describe a narrative which tells of my grandfather showing me my first trick (true) and the trick is the Dinamo card (not true) but hey a little artistic license is perfectly fine isn't it? I've also made Matthew's routine more of my own by adding some sentimental/nostalgic music and (soon) the Snow Leopard Vest which is Lee Alex's quick change where the black vest turns to black with white dots. The surprise kicker of the additional dots on the card and the costume change I think will make for a more complete routine that is a far cry from the how many dots do I have...wrong...how many now...wrong. Instead, the routine invites the audience to enjoy the story of how I became interested in magic through the love of my grandfather. I think "smalzty"/sentimental is the mood I'm shooting for and then the additional kicker of the colour change gives it a magical surprise at a different level.

I'm planning on attending the McBride Mystery School's Magic for Meaning session in October and this will likely be the piece that I present for Jeff and Eugene's feedback.

jeff
I just bought a What's Next that was advertised as Tenyo's and the sent me the Dot's Next which came today. I emailed the seller be ause I wanted the What's Next which is why I spent the extra money. I will end up getting the Dinamo based on info from this forum. I don't believe that $35 bucks is much as long as it is quality. the two I am on the fence is the Jumbo Dream bag which goes for about $100 and Axel's Newsworthy Torn and Restored which goes for about $85. I am pretty new to magic but don't mind spending money to get quality tools for the craft. Any feedback on the dream bag and Newsworthy appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
[quote]
On 2009-04-18 17:28, dennisspeaks wrote:
I just bought a What's Next that was advertised as Tenyo's and the sent me the Dot's Next which came today. I emailed the seller be ause I wanted the What's Next which is why I spent the extra money. I will end up getting the Dinamo based on info from this forum. I don't believe that $35 bucks is much as long as it is quality. the two I am on the fence is the Jumbo Dream bag which goes for about $100 and Axel's Newsworthy Torn and Restored which goes for about $85. I am pretty new to magic but don't mind spending money to get quality tools for the craft. Any feedback on the dream bag and Newsworthy appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
[/quote]

Jeez man! 35 bucks! You need a better source.
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Sells dots next for $13.53, and you can use free shipping. These other guys your working with tried to pull a fast one. I know a lot of guys on here tell you to only support brick and mortar magic shops, but my local shop really burnt me good. Since then, I do all my business online. I check reviews here to make sure they are quality effects and then I purchase from trustworthy online merchants.

As for the quality issue I'm messaging magicalaurie to figure out what she is referring to. There isn't much to dots next... I got it in the mail this week and it is very high quality.
The Norm Nielsen "Dinamo" is better than the Tenyo, of course my What's Next (Tenyo) was purchased in about 1976, too, so the construction may have changed. Also, if you want something other than the rectangular card design, Chalet makes a good one that's octagonal.

Steve
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Apr 18, 2009 06:48PM)
I like the Dinamo version which is black with white spots. When you order you can also ask for extra spots which add to the surprise finish.

jeff
I guess I was not clear, the 35 bucks was for the Dinamo that I saw advertised that someone was complaining it was expensive.

I paid 24 bucks for the bait and switch Dots Next because I thought it was the original Tenyo, the dots next is sold on ebay for 11.99 but I didn't want that one, the point that they advertised one and sent another thinking I wouldn't be the wiser irks me, I will give them the chance to correct it, if no results have my credit card company charge back. I have to do all online as we have no magic shop within 100 miles. I of course do read feedback but those are easy to fabricate as well.
Great news, I heard back and they do not have the tenyo so they are going to make the dots next disappear and make appear the Dinamno in it's place, now that is magic
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Apr 19, 2009 01:09PM)
That's good news for sure. I would encourage you to contact Nielsen's and ask them to send you out some extra dots. Real cheap to buy and you have extra in case any get lost. The best thing though is that the ending leaves you with a completely full dot finale.

jeff

ps. Also check out Matthew Johnson's lecture notes as he has a great rhyming poem which gives this routine a context other than just the adventures of the props in the performers hands.
I use my (Tenyo) What's next in almost all my children's shows, I absolutley love it, it's not flimsy and works great! I use it as a comedy routine, actualy just yesterday at a child's b-day I used it and it went AMAZING!

Zach
Since this trick will be new to me, I am looking for patter and suggestions to use with it, I will be using it for Colleges, High Schools and Safety. Where can I find the Matthew Johnson's lecture notes?

thanks,

Dennis
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Apr 23, 2009 11:13PM)
Dennis you can contact Matthew via email @

matthew@magicshow2go.com

jeff
On Jeff's recommendation and description, I just purchased "Mixing It Up book Matthew Johnson" from http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=7 $23.25 shipped

The routine is called C'ing Spots, description as listed below.

C'ing Spots: At last a great routine for the "What's Next Board," by Tenyo Magic. The wonderful rhyming patter make this ideal for everyone from the kids to adults and will have you dusting the cob webs off this long forgotten classic.

**** I've been meaning to use mine and have never really cared for any of the patters I've seen but the one from Matthew Johnson sounded good so I'll give it a try.

Thanks Jeff!
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (May 1, 2009 12:17AM)
You're more than welcome! I sent you a PM describing some of the changes that I've made to Matthew's rhyme so that it suits my performance philosophy/style. Send me a PM back once you've received it and have had a chance to think about it.

jeff
Jeff,

Will do, just dug it out, now all I have to do is find time to read :)

Mine is the Tenyo model with the raised felt dots. (I also have the cookie one somewhere)

Thanks,
David
Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my routine for the What's Next Board called "C'ing Spots" is now available as a $10 PDF download at my updated Magic Store. The routine comes with the handling, patter & 23 clear step by step photographs. Here is the link: http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html

Because of the huge interest in my What's Next Board Routine I plan on releasing real world, worker material that I have used in my shows for years as PDF downloads from my site at only $10 each.

Hope this helps,

MJ
Matt,

Thank you so much for all of your creativity and innovation. Per the above accolades I purchased your PDF and must admit your routine is outstanding! My Dinamo board is now smiling as this is the ultimate "Pack small, play big" routine to compliment most any show.

Thanks!
Dan.
Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the very kind words on my PDF download for the What's Next Board/Dinamo Board entitled "C'ing Spots". I am so glad you like it!

A little background on why I came up with the routine. I had owned this prop for many years and carried it all over the world with me on my travels. After moving to Canada & downsizing my touring show I decided to take old props and add a bit of spice to make them fun!

I took the What's Next Board & decided to start with that. When I had seen it performed it always seemed to be more of a puzzle than magic to me. I realized that the routines I had seen were missing direction! A strong start, strong finish & an interesting story. So I set about doing just that.

I decided to write a whimsical rhyming patter routine that would appeal to all ages. This performance piece now has a strong place in my kids show & my corporate show and plays equally well for both. It is also a strong piece in my lecture.

Many suggested that I sell this PDF for more because of the value of the routine. I decided to keep the price low so more people could appreciate it & have as much fun with it as I do!

Enjoy!

MJ
Before I comment on Matthew Johnson's "Cing Spots Rhyme" I want to approach both Dinamo and What's Next in regard to some of the threads I see here and in other places from time to time asking questions like which is better, etc.

If you are going to perform professionally you SHOULD consider several stage elements of a professional entertainer (magician).

1. Strongly think about your costume.
A. What color is it.
B. Are there any patterns in it.

For instance if you wear solid black clothing and you are using the black board with with dots (Dinamo) you should film yourself performing this routine in as close to the settings you perform as possible.

If most of your events are for children's birthday parties in houses... this will not make as much difference... but still maters. However if you perform for fairs and festivals on a large stage and the audience is a good distance from you... consider how clear the black on black appears to them.

If you use the white board and your costume is all white, etc., etc., etc.,

2. Consider being cleaner!
It baffles me how many "performers" I have seen take the stage with no thought of how their props look to the audience and Dinamo / What's next is no different. If you get up on stage and the sun hits your board and you have not invested the time before each show to wipe your board clean of all smears (finger oils, dirt, etc.) this looks terrible and puts your show down when a little cleaning can enhance your presence (It is amazing what women pick up when they watch your show).

There are other points I can make about performing this classic... hopefully others will fill in blanks where I stopped or add to what I have started.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Now about Matthew Johnson's "C-ing Spots" routine.

"I invested in Matthew Johnson's "Monkey Business" lecture notes - - They are very concise, 100% solid, pure, juicy Angus beef!

Unlike many lecture notes which are filled with unnecessary fluff and no practical use for the "tricks" they are describing, with his "Monkey Business" lecture notes Matthew has hit a triple home run out of the ball park!!!

There are no stones left unturned and the real-world applications are obvious - - instantly. Look, as a full time entertainer (over 450 show each year), I do not want fluff, hype and theory about what 'might' be a good to great "trick" for a real-life lay audience. No, No, No...I constantly strive to give my customers (most are repeat) what we agree to and so much more.

That being said, if you are looking for real world, hands on, here is what I have used in live shows with much success and you can too...then you need to get Matthew Johnson's "Monkey Business" lecture notes.

P.S. I have never personally met Matthew...so do not think this testimonial is just one of his life-long friends giving him a shameless endorsement (Matthew never asked for this rave review from me). I strongly recommend you invest in you today!

P.S.S. JUST the "Cing Spots" routine is worth your small investment. Notice I said investment... it still boggles my mind to this day how cheap "magicians" are when it comes to delivering a quality show. I am careful with my funds and like others I try to invest wisely... but if your first thought is "I will write my own rhyme and save the money"... well unless you are poetic... and can make sense of what you write... OK. But why "try" to come up with something new... when Matthew has something which is testing in the REAL world in from of REAL audiences... Look this is not some of the cheap crap you see on sites like YouTube... Matthew is a REAL world performer, who is in the trenches with real people... his routine if you blend it with your style IS a crowd pleasser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: the first time I performed this during a four day fair it received ahhhs and applause... Matthew's patter mixed with the right on timing is PHENOMENAL.

***If you are lazy do not get it you do have to work to make it flow smooth in your act, but if you are willing to work on it... I sure to write a review similar to this shortly too!

PLEASE. Please. PLEASE.
Help us keep the integrity and ethics of the magic community pure... Do Not Buy This and put "your" routine of Matthew's hard work on YouTube (This does NOT "prove" how witty you are... Doing this only shows your lack of true knowledge of the history of the wonderful art of magic).

Even though you buy Matthew's notes and you have permission to use it for your personal use - - this does NOT give you permission to share it in print or film without the written consent of Matthew Johnson (If you do, this IS stealing from Matthew Johnson - Period!)
Dear David,

Thank you for the glowing review! That was very very kind of you & I am glad you enjoy the routine.

The "Monkey Business" notes that David made reference to are being replaced with PDF downloads at my online magic store. I plan on releasing my true worker material PDF's on my store & then as CD Roms at my lectures.

If you wish to check out the What's Next Board routine entitled "C'ing Spots" you can do so by visiting my store at:

http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html

I have other PDF's there in my worker series should you wish to check them out also.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
Hey All,
I just wanted to add my comment on Matthew's "Cing Spots" routine as well. It is a fantastic way to perform a "Dot's Next?" type of effect, very original and very entertaining. As I told Matthew in an email, while I don't think I am going to use his poem verbatim, it has sparked my creative juices to come up with a modification of his poem to use to perform with. Well done Matthew, and on a side note, you should check out his website, he has some fantastic material to offer any professional working Magician.

Thanks,
Hank
Hank,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my PDF "C'ing Spots" a routine I created for the What's Next Board/ Dinamo Board.

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the routine. I am also happy to hear that you will create your own poem around mine & that the poem has sparked your creativity.

To all those that have purchased my routine I would like to say thank you. Thank you also for your PM's, Emails & continued comments. They are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson

Another thumbs up for Matt Johnson's excellent rhyming routine for the What's Next spot card. I use it - with slight modifications' to great effect - especially in school shows. Once I performed it in a school Choral Speaking competition - as a guest performer - and it 'killed'!
MagicBern,

Thank you, I am very happy to hear that my rhyming routine for the What's Next Board works well for you.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson

[quote]On Mar 6, 2006, The Great Smartini wrote:
I would encourage you to check out Matthew Johnson's (from Vancouver)lecture notes which contains an excellent poem/patter for this effect. I use this all the time and it gives context and a narrative that makes sense for the effect. It tells of your first trip to the magic shop and starts like this... "When I first started magic I went to a store filled with rabbits and silks and magic galore." You have to buy the notes to learn the rest. I use it all the time and recommend it highly.

Smartini

Ps. I think Matthew's web site is something like http://www.magicshow2go.com [/quote]

Sorry, but, I do not now, and never have liked patter that referred to "going to the magic store to buy a new trick, etc.

It may sound "cute" but, it simply is saying to the audience that "you,too could do ths if you had this prop!
I've been performing the spot card for years as an eye test in my show. I just recently bumped into Todd Brown at KAX and he has a couple of great new versions. One is a Chocolate Chip cookie, and the other is a Pepperoni Pizza!
https://www.amazekids.com/magic/birthday-party-magic/mrs-browns-magic-cookie/
I recently bought a new Dinamo and the quality is really poor. The painted spots are not bright and white, like it was done with a thin paint. The dots don't slide smoothly like the old one I have, as if the flocking on the back is not as good a quality. It almost seems like a knockoff. I am very disappointed.