(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for Packet Trick Holder
Anyone know where I can find a nice little "wallet" to keep packet tricks safe in? I'd like something I can carry 5-7 gimmicked cards in that will keep them from getting all bent and crimped.

On the Art of Card Splitting DVD Martini mentions he uses a Baseball Card case, which I'm looking into. But I thought some of you might have other ideas I could investigate.

Thanks!
The card collection has a real nice wallet holds about 12 packet tricks in it
I like the Z-fold wallet. There are many out there but I got mine from Howard at the magic warehouse. They are really nice in leather.
http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup12.html#wa1894

Jay
Google for the packet trick wallet by Jerry O'Connell.

Frank Starsini does a nice one too!

Good luck
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 6, 2006 12:49PM)
I second Roger with the O'Connell wallet. http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk stock these and a a great price for the best leather goods in magic IMO along with Franks work
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=accessories&base=131 try this place. I have done business with them before and they very efficient.
:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
Excellent! Thanks very much for all the suggestions!
MJM magic has those as well, for less than a buck.
I sell leather packet trick wallets ... 2 for $25.
In brown or black.

Just like the plastic ones except leather.

You can have your name engraved on them (or your initials)
for $7 extra per wallet.

pm me if you're interested.
Check out Josh Jay's Pro Carrier under the Misc. Items on his website:

http://www.joshuajay.com/merch.htm

second item from the bottom
Before this thread dies (and so I don't have to start my own) I've been unable to find playing card sized manilla envelopes at either Office Depot or OfficeMax. Sankey uses them... I think I've seen Mr. Goldstein use them too.

If anybody has a source, or part/catalog number I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

-jjg
Yeah, I second that jg, I've been on the lookout for those too. OfficeMax had like sizes 1, 2, and 7. Based on size 2, I'm guessing that size 3 would be what we want. I've been meaning to look around online as well. Thanks for reminding me.
You can go to your local retailer and buy a regular wallet. Like the kind you carry money in. I use one and it holds at least a dozen packet tricks.
[quote]
On 2006-03-06 17:59, jgravelle wrote:
I've been unable to find playing card sized manilla envelopes...
If anybody has a source, or part/catalog number I'd appreciate it.
[/quote]

Ryman, here in the UK stock thousands of the things:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/Wage-Envelopes-05030350.asp

The one photographed is slightly wider than what you want. Strangely, they haven't listed the ones I use which are just wide enough to get a few (five?) poker sized cards in and are about a cm longer with a gummed flap.
Just to throw in here... I found an excellent credit card wallet that has 12 pockets that can can hold a packet up to about 6 cards thick each. I got this at Target and now wish that I had bought all that they had. This was on a Christmas display two years ago. But maybe this will help you look in another direction.

I liked being able to carry several with me for shows or even just to take with me on vacation or something. It's like a little breifcase for your packet tricks!
That's exactly my thinking as well, Reis. I've checked around a few places here in town, but not Target yet. I'll have a look there. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I'm following up all the leads you've provided.
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 03:39, Roger Kelly wrote:
Ryman, here in the UK stock thousands of the things:
http://www.ryman.co.uk/Wage-Envelopes-05030350.asp
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm closer to the U.P. than the U.K. thought... although I like the idea of using gyros for money. The Greek restaurant up on the corner could be my new bank... ;)

Regards,

-jjg
[quote]
On 2006-03-06 23:14, rivmagic wrote:
You can go to your local retailer and buy a regular wallet. Like the kind you carry money in. I use one and it holds at least a dozen packet tricks.
[/quote]

I used to want one of these too but later wanted the minimum space-taker-upper possible. Though something like that for home and storage seems like a good idea.
Some birth control pills come in a perfect little plastic wallet for playing cards.

Hey, they were going to be thrown away anyway...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
[quote]
On 2006-03-07 15:42, Frank Starsini wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-03-06 23:14, rivmagic wrote:
[/quote]

I used to want one of these too but later wanted the minimum space-taker-upper possible. Though something like that for home and storage seems like a good idea.

[/quote]

Agreed. I've got enough crap in my pockets on a daily basis as it is.
If you need something to organize your packet tricks while carrying them around, you are probably carrying around too many packet tricks. I think more than one is too many, but that's me.
Reaaly I'm wanting it more for carrying gimmicked cards for various effects, and maybe one packet trick.
Precision magic has a nice wallet that hold a deck of cards and 6 packet tricks.

http://www.precisionmagic.com/card_wallet.htm
To follow up on the manila envelope sub-thread discussion, No. 3 coin envelopes will hold a Poker sized playing card snuggly. I bought a box of 250 at Staples a while back. By snuggly I mean snuggly. No wiggle room. Yo umay even need to force it a little. I'm not sure you could fit two cards in the envelope without damaging cards, envelope, or both.

The nice thing about No. 3 envelopes is that they fit nicely into wallets, if your effect calls for that. I've never checked out No. 4 envelopes. I assume they exist.

Regarding packet trick wallets, yipes. I keep a ton of those little plastic wallets for my packet tricks. One of these days I'll get around to labeling them, or better yet, buying something like the Pro-Carrier (from Joshua Jay's site), the Card Wallet (from Precision Magic), or one of Frank's fine Ambitious Card products.
Joshua Jay's Pro Carrier is a great investment. I've written a review of it at my magic review blog site at http://www.MagicReviews.blogspot.com

Caleb
Thanks for the nice comments!

We are now making one that holds 4 sets of tricks.
Available here:
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=58

Since it's a new product, we're doing free engraving on all of them
thru May with your name.
Keep them in a regular pack of cards
I bought a leather credit card wallet at Walgreen's - holds two packets of poker cards. Works great! I also found bus pass holders at dollar stores, that work really well.

I use 3" X 4 7/8" (#24) envelopes for packets. Each envelope will hold half a deck.
I like using cigarette cases I found this one for $12.00

[i] top image is the inside [/i]
[img]http://www.warlocks-box.com/non/img/cigarettecase.jpg[/img]
[i] bottom image is the outside [/i]

It has a spring arm and holds 30 cards but I just use it for 5 cards and two or three clove...
I mean magic cigarettes.
I have to second Vater's idea. I use a cigarette case and never worry about my cards getting bent (although I only keep those for Ultimate 3 card monte and Kioku in it).

Regards, Steve
Boris Wild lectured here on Thursday and he had a GREAT suggestion. Use a CD case. One of the soft square ones that can carry like 25-40 CDs. You place the cards in each with a little sticker on the outside of the plastic identifying the trick. I immediately got one and it's a lifesaver.
I use a small manila envelope for the packet tricks, they are #4 (4 1/2" x 3"),(they came in a box of 500 units, a little bit too many, Staples has it as Coin envelopes)

And to keep the envelopes I use a plastic box for index cards (5 1/2"x 3 1/2" x 1"), that could fit 2 poker size decks along with 1 or 2 packet tricks or several packet tricks. It is not fancy but works. I bought them at staples

Pablo
I use a small manila envelope for the packet tricks, they are #4 (4 1/2" x 3"),(they came in a box of 500 units, a little bit too many, Staples has it as Coin envelopes)

And to keep the envelopes I use a plastic box for index cards (5 1/2"x 3 1/2" x 1"), that could fit 2 poker size decks along with 1 or 2 packet tricks or several packet tricks. It is not fancy but works. I bought them at staples

Pablo
Visa Cabaret will hold the packet tricks and is a good routine in itself.
See airship's thread above at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=163574&forum=201&8. He has an interesting idea about how to carry packet tricks.
I don't think that the now extinct Jerry O'Connell hand made, original 6 packet trick holder will ever be surpased by anybody in terms of quality and beauty.

His new ones are extremely nice (and they have a coin pocket as well), but they're made to Jerry's design at a leather goods factory as opposed to made by Jerry himself at his workbench.

For those who want a Jerry's original, there still may be a couple of these left at Wizardcraft, Jerry's US distributor.
I have three of the Original Packet trick Wallets as of today. When these are gone, that is it, forever
Craig, do you have any of Jerry's original Mini-Himbers left?

If not, do you have any ideas who else might have one?

(I meant to PM this to Craig and can't erase it now!..sorry.)
I carry mine in my regular deck case with the end folded in to separate them. That said, I never carry more than 2 as I won't have more than 2 regular decks on me.

Cal
I use a business card case.

It's a little plastic wallet with 2 flaps to hold business cards. They cost about a buck and a half at my local Staples.
Joshua Jay's Pro Carrier has served me well. it hold everything I need, and then some. it is definitely worth having.

_Zim
I've found that orgaization of the tricks is key here. I took the idea from card collectors (baseball and etc...) Purchased small plastic cases for holding baseball cards. Each hold any number of playing cards for the trick. Label the backside and store them in a binder. You can pull out packets, in the plastic containers, that you plan to perform. Transfer to a wallet, Pro Carrier or whatever you use in your situation.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat-Sleeves+and+Bags.htm
see Deck Guards ...inexpensive and do not stick to your cards.
Can purchase in some Target stores,

Regards,
Joe
Still have two (was down to one, but just found another) of the Original Packet Trick Wallets $60, (discontinued) from Jerry O'Connell, and also the new Packet JOL Trick Wallet which you can see at http://www.wizardcraftmagic.com/OConnellJOL.htm
Haine's House of Cards sells the plastic single wallets for 3/$2.00 and they carry a plastic wallet that is like a business card index. Holds probably 20 packet tricks or replacement gaffs for around $5.00 or $6.00 dollars.
I use my credit card plastic wallet (from my bank) that has 4 pockets.
It suits perfectly.
I just received the Jerry O'Connell Packet Wallet for X-Mas and it is absolutely fantastic. A great way to organize packet tricks as other gimmicked cards. It also holds coins. Wonderful wallet.
For a wallet that will hold 10 packet tricks please see my website. I also have special black envelopes which are perfect for single poker size playing cards. You will find these on the Kolossal Killer page.

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com

Tony Curtis
I remember seeing one at Hocus-Pocus that went for about 15 dollars.
Walmart sells a small business card holder (Day-Runner brand) for a few bucks and is sturdy enough to keep the cards from bending. I typically only keep two packet tricks in each wallet and then take a different one out with me each time (so I don't over do packet stuff), but I've been known to stuff up to 4 tricks in each wallet.
Ok Here's a great solution!
Buy the protective sleeves for baseball cards and make a Z fold wallet out of them by taping them together on the back. I carry about 10 packets like this.
Try a photography store for wallets that hold photos. I have one that holds about 20 (or more) photos (now packet tricks) that cost just a few bucks.
The Joshua Jay link above has changed to: http://www.joshuajay.com/merchandise.html

(This is for his Pro Carrier)