(Close Window)
Topic: On proof....
As a magician, there is a strong desire to 'prove' one's routines, to remove doubts.

As a sideshow performer, where the trickery is not found, this desire is even stronger. I feel that I MUST prove that the nail is real, the glass is sharp etc.

When the two are combined, that perceived need becomes overwhelming. I may create illusions but THIS is real.

Yet no matter how many proofs I add it, I always have SOMEONE who wants to examine the glass, someone who says the nail is rubber (?).

So last night, I decide not to bother. If they are going to doubt me regardless of the proofs, why bother with them?

As I lay down the glass, I said "some one you will be wondering, is this real? Is it made of plastic? Is it made of sugar? Have I filed down the sharp edges of each pieces one by one by one. I will let you decide for yourself."

And you know what? Not a single person asked to examine the glass or said they doubted my claim!
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Mar 17, 2006 11:02PM)
I have had little old ladies tell me I didn't put the fire in my mouth. I even hold the torch in my teeth and let go with both hands stretched out. They still believe that I didn't put it in my mouth. Why? Because it is easier for them to accept that way.
In my stage show I open with a magic trick then reveal it's method ( I know it's not encouraged to do that, but honestly it's the least of my worries.)

Afterwards I explain that I am not in the business of tricking people but instead I'm in the business of amazing people.

then in various parts of my show I will have a few people in the audience stand on stage and watch a stunt up close and verify to everyone else that what I did was in fact real.

NOTE:
I should add that I also use a small amout of trickery in my show but as the Greats say "Flash is Cash!"

Brett.
Hey brett Just curious what effect do you "expose" you can Pm me if you want...

Anton
Sent you a PM.

Brett.