(Close Window)
Topic: Template for a topit...
I was wondering if there is a standard for topit construction? Or better-yet a template for a topit! I'd like to have one sewn and fashioned in a way so I can safety-pin or velcro it inside of my blazer. I have footage of Patrick Page teaching the possible uses and description of the topit and I'm sure I could make a pattern for the the topit from a paper bag just to play with sizes, etc. Are there any anyother great references or books that may have information of it's size or preffered shapes?

Bryan
Not sure if and where they are still available but Ammar had a pattern as did Carl Cloutier.. I have both around here somewhere..we moved a year ago and still unpacking..
Michael Ammar's pattern is six bucks. http://www.ammarmagic.com (search: topit patter)

Bob Fitch and Cellini have also done some wonderful work with topits.
CORRECTION ...Search: topit pattern
It seems like there was someone here at the Café that offered there topit pattern just for the asking. It's been a long time ago, and I could be wrong. Maybe someone will remember the details.

Regan
I got a new style topit from Chase Curtis at WCM.

But the Ammar topit and the one that Paula Jayne (that's the one, Regan) did for Café members are two good choices.
That's it Ricker! Paula Jayne it was indeed. Thanks man!

Regan
Ricker, how do you like the Curtis topit?
Mac,

I like it alot. I use both the Ammar and Curtis's topit

I can use Curtis's in different coats, to me it's like a portable Ammar topit.

Neither (or Paula's) are like the orginal Davenports topit. (yes I have that one too).
Anyone know if the Topit on the Pat Page Video is still available? I like the added features he or Vic Pinto put into this style. A source or reference would be helpful.
I just got one off of ebay, that's the only place Ive found it, Bill.

But my goodness, what a great video it is.
Thanks for the help everyone...

I went with the one from Ammar's page... So far it's done the job perfectly...

Bryan
[quote]
On 2006-03-29 18:28, shomemagic wrote:
Not sure if and where they are still available but Ammar had a pattern as did Carl Cloutier.. I have both around here somewhere..we moved a year ago and still unpacking..

[/quote]

I myself am looking for Cloutier's pattern.Have any idea who to get one through?I'd appreciate any info you may have.

All the Best...

Doug
[quote]
On 2006-03-29 18:21, Bryan Gilles wrote:
I was wondering if there is a standard for topit construction? Or better-yet a template for a topit! I'd like to have one sewn and fashioned in a way so I can safety-pin or velcro it inside of my blazer. I have footage of Patrick Page teaching the possible uses and description of the topit and I'm sure I could make a pattern for the the topit from a paper bag just to play with sizes, etc. Are there any anyother great references or books that may have information of it's size or preffered shapes?

Bryan
[/quote]

I have Bob Fitch's Topit Workshop DVD set..and I cannot recommend it enough.Bob goes over a few Topit designs..as well as using a vest,and even a shirt and tie!
The set is well worth the $100.00 in my opinion.

All the Best...

Doug
I've see Bob's Topit lecture live. He handles it very well.But

after a lifetime as an actor/dancer of Broadway/Movies/Television

He is the actor playing the part of the magician.I like the featurers of

Ammar's being able to reach in the side pocket to retrive something

in the topit but I like the design of Cloutier's as well as thr tunnel

across the pants pocket........Mike
[quote]
On 2006-04-13 12:12, camikesrd wrote:
I've see Bob's Topit lecture live. He handles it very well.But

after a lifetime as an actor/dancer of Broadway/Movies/Television

He is the actor playing the part of the magician.I like the featurers of

Ammar's being able to reach in the side pocket to retrive something

in the topit but I like the design of Cloutier's as well as thr tunnel

across the pants pocket........Mike
[/quote]

Yes,Bob is pretty spectacular,and anyone seeing his lecture or videos should be
forewarned-he makes it look so much easier than it is:)

All the Best..

Doug
Thanks, everyone, for the help; nice one. :)
Anyone out there can help with a topit pattern? I can't find any pdf downloads anywhere... And I need it for a gig friday... Using it to ditch a bottle in Kevin James perrier with a twist. There is a HUGE storm here in MA and nothing will get here fast enough.
I've wanted to look into Topits for a while, at the moment I'm still yet to even see one. What would other magic Café users recommend as a good starting point? Any DVD or book recommendations are very welcome. I've just looked on eBay and there are a dozen different purchases I could make, some include the gimmick, some include a pattern, some only include routines and advice.

The Bob Fitch set does look good but I'd want at least to get a topit or a pattern included
Michael Ammar is one of the pioneers of the topit. Check his site for books and DVDs on it. He also sells his version in pattern form but don't know if he offers it in a pdf. Did you check your local magic shops?

markschou, it takes time to get the topit cutout and installed. Then there's the practice of course. In my mine Friday is a bit unrealistic.

http://www.ammarmagic.com/topitbookebook.html
The topit pattern is in the new Topit Book 2.0. If you purchase the ebook, it is in there.
Thank you for the great tip Tim. Penguin sells only hardback for 50 $ and the pattern is not included (that would be another 18 $).

Can professional sewer easily make a mirror topit for the lefties.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, Valdocyk wrote:
Thank you for the great tip Tim. Penguin sells only hardback for 50 $ and the pattern is not included (that would be another 18 $).

Can professional sewer easily make a mirror topit for the lefties. [/quote]

Neither the original topit, no pattern available, and the Ammar topit, use the same design so it can be installed on either side of the jacket. Ammar's is not a pocket until you install it, just a single piece of cloth.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2015, DaleTrueman wrote:
I've wanted to look into Topits for a while[/quote]
I've started with a pouch, a la Page, and then I've moved to sewing a topit that had the shape I wanted based on the jacket I wore and how I threw. I think that anything works to get you started. It should take you several months anyway to use it properly. By that time, you should know what you need.

For resources, I had Carl Cloutier Superstar (a French VCR) that gave me the basics along with sleeving (though it was actually the second half of a longer workshop and I thus missed the actually taught basics!). Then, I've crawled youtube to see how others were using the topit (form a spectator's point of view), and found that in most of the cases, it was very obvious... I especially abhor how Ammar vanishes full decks of cards...

Here's an old video of me practising http://youtu.be/xuYzaHImJ-M (It's raw. In a routine, there'd be more time misdirection, etc)

P!
Ammar's book that you get on iTunes is awesome! I love the video in it. Its great to have on my iPad to read/watch whenever/wherever.
I highly recommend it. The only problem with the download is you don't get the actual template to make it. I had to draw it out using measurements. Mine came out fine and I love using it. Mostly it is for things the spectator doesn't know I am making disappear. An extra coin for "perrier with a twist" And even the final bottle vanish. It is AMAZING! The best utility device I have!
Topics are a subject near and dear to my heart. Personally, I have a stack of ones I made that come up to my waist. I've got one on the market that seems to fit most people's needs, but there's nothing like a custom made one for you. The thing is, you've got to be prepared to go through a LOT of prototypes before you find "the one." I like your idea of creating one from a paper template. Just remember that paper doesn't move and react like cloth does. Good luck, and let me know if I can be any help.
That was supposed to read "Topits are a subject....." *** auto-correct!