(Close Window)
Topic: Higgs Zibbs.
I have started this thread and will post when possible updated info regarding Higgs Zibbs which will be touring the UK from now until the end of the season.

The show consists of seven original Zibbs made by that infamouse Zibb man Mr Higgs from the US of A, I can say very little regarding the venues at present other than the Zibbs will be seen in the very best of places here in the UK and viewed by prior ticket price holders only. The Price of entrance which includes limited entertainment and a few nibbles will be around £95 or $200,,,,,the proceeds go to charities and I forsee over £100,000 being handed over at the end of the run.

A number of VIP`s will be working the gaff and notables too numerouse to mention will be queing to see the strangest show ever presented to the upper crust.

Security at all of these events is of the highest order with even the venue dates a secret at this time.

The unvieling ceremony took place on Saturday April 1st (A very appropiate day)In the grounds of Sandon Hall, Staffordshire. A very spooky house in need of renovation with acres of Forest and rolling hills covered in a low lye of thick mist. The morning mixture of sun and rain caused the end of a vivid rainbow to settle in the valley, the exact position that the zibbit tent stood at.Throughout the night the Halls Massive outside clock struck out each hour as I tried to sleep in the back of my camper van. Spooky and very strange to say the least.

As a handful of VIP`s looked on, I pulled the sheets off of the exhibit tanks.
A good few minets of silence made me think the whole thing was a massive mistake,,,then a mixture of laughter and **%""/>> came from the mouths of those who you would think that butter couldn`t melt in,, yes they were hooked,,Higgs had done it again,,,the show is now on the road.

Let the fun begin.

Ken.
May the end of that rainbow be in your bank account!
Well..we are certainly making History! If we could only tell the whole story at this point. Thanks Ken...keep those reports coming as best you can....I would give ANYTHING to be there...yes even that...there has never been anything like this EVER...even Pt Barnum would be flabergasted! My Zibbs and your hard work and attention to all the details...what a team. Problem is my friend we will never top this...no one has and no one ever will....enjoy every minute of it and be prepared for a LONG LONG phone call! $200 a ticket to just look at my 'art works'? Top Of The World Ma! Alas, it is for Charity, which kind of makes it even better than a percentage...kind of....I'll tell myself that all during the tour...:)
I have never been this stoked, nor had a reason to be...

Cheers!

Higley
Good going guys...don't know what else to say...

don
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG !!!!!

How did I know !!!! Well HRH has asked me to present Doug with his Telegram.
So the drinks are on Doug!!!!

Ken.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Apr 4, 2006 11:25AM)
Happy Birthday Doug.

Regards,

Ted
I didn't know they sent telegrams to 50 year olds.

Live long and die happy ; )

''Will you still need me will you still feed me?''

Cheers Doug

all the best,
Corona

ps ... Hull City Arts will be shaking their heads in disbelief today ; )
Thanks folks. 50...I wish! The song was right though!

Hull City? Just imagine what that 'other' bunch over there is thinking!

How the **** can you die happy? I'll take instantaneous and unaware as my preference....no flights for me...
[quote]
On 2006-04-04 13:51, Doug Higley wrote:

How the **** can you die happy? I'll take instantaneous and unaware as my preference....no flights for me...
[/quote]

It can be arranged.
Me? I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather...not screaming and crying like those people on the bus he was driving.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG!

And congrats to both you and Kondini. I think that a book at the end of the run with a schedule of appearances and presentations would extend the life of this particular show...or at least increase its legendary status.

Please, please, PLEASE keep us posted! I'll be wactching this thread w/ great anticipation!

Chris
Thanks again all...

Corona...getting testy are we or fishing for business?

Chris: That would be a great idea..believe me I've thought of it often BUT there are no as in ZERO photos or photography allowed. But I think a little booklet will be worth doing if only to get it in the record.

And Kondini promised to write a book someday about his fantastic life and career...yeah right... problem is it would have to be translated into ENGLISH.

D
I think that a classy-looking Museum Fieldbook would fit the bill quite nicely...or is the Zero Photography Clause part of your terms of agreement?

I have several Ripley's guides floating around the house and my wife even purchased a programme for the Princess Diana exhibit that got as close to us as Dayton, Ohio. For the record, I'd rather travel half a day to see a Mer than a wedding gown, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Maybe I think too much about additional ways to ding people, even at big-ticket events. It's a knack that has kept me usable in all of my jobs past and present.

And I'd pay to see either Doug or Ken on a lecture tour...with our without a book for sale.

Chris
Happy Birthday Doug!!!

Brett.
Happy birfday to the king of gaffs, gimmicks and fantastic creatures!

Ken, I am immpressed. Hope the events go great buddy.

One question, how do the marks tell the difference between you and the zibits? :)
Mr. Jacket...we don't call them Marks. They are Paying Guests and Seekers Of The Unusual. Marks buy Picasso's.

In this case whether they like the show or not, they get their moneys worth since Ken is on Standby as a backup. Frightening in its possibilites!

You don't realize it YET...but Ken Dean has become THE PT Barnum of the UK in all its meanings. If he can pull this off...there is no topper in the wings...only wannabees from here on out. Unfortunately due to circumstances, he can't publicize like old PT...but the mechanics and situations are there in every detail. This is not hype...it's really astounding what he is pulling off.

Now Mr. Dean...that little phone call I made the other day wound up at $138 on the phone bill. I don't think we'll be chatting across the seas any time soon. Cheaper to fly over and have Pie & Chips on his nibs methinks.

And as to the Birhday...thanks david...it's good to be the King! I got a Robo Raptor!
A trip to Legoland and the latest Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire DVD. (excellent movie!) and what is bes, a day off after a few months with out one!

Cheers

D
To update>>>> Just completed the Lamport Hall Show which was sponsored by Hobbyhorse Events UK. Due to bad weather turnout was down but a steak sized cheque was still handed over to charity so all were happy.

Of note,,,, the more intelligent the punter the more easy they are to fleece!!!

Comment....... Do you think they are real animals or just made up??????
Don`t be silly,,,,,,no one would put fake animals in expensive cases like those!!!!
An actual comment made over the weekend.

On to Bexley (Outer London) For four days making the preparation to slay the Nobbs at Epsom,,,,,Royalty,Gee Gee Racing and Mers!!!! What next!!!!

Down the road Ken.
Sandon Hall...Lamport Hall...y'all might like to do a bit of googling to see these venues...

Ken: Love that quote! Keep yer ears open for more! (save the best ones for the book!)
I agree that clever clogs are easy to kid, but aren't you confusing social standing with intelligence?

We have seen what interbreeding can do to a species, take the racehorse for instance, a thing of beauty, perhaps.....

But as thick as pigshit.

B
[quote]
On 2006-04-05 13:30, Doug Higley wrote:
Now Mr. Dean...that little phone call I made the other day wound up at $138 on the phone bill. I don't think we'll be chatting across the seas any time soon. Cheaper to fly over and have Pie & Chips on his nibs methinks.[/quote]

yikes- you guys need to get skype!

I sure wish I could see that show - it sounds excellent :) congrats, and great work.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (Apr 14, 2006 12:41PM)
My wife uses a calling card from costco to call her family over the big pond. 30 dollars lasts over 200 minutes.
Yeah...thanks Ted, good idea. By the way the Mousketeer called yesterday. Nice conversation. I eMailed him some info etc.
To update,,,,4 days at Bexley with Oakleigh Fairs saw `the first time public viewings,,quite long Q`s even in the rain,,,which gave food for thought,,,to see a zibb rather than birds of prey or stunt bikes!!!! strange but true,,curiosity killed not only the cat but the people of this outer London Borough as well.

Privates at Eton completed the weeks work with pull down and set ups daily (I hate this it`s just too much work)On to Marlborough and Cirencester this week with the odd over weekend (Between the two Bank Hols)Before Moredon Hall for the May Bank,,,,,this is going to be a biggee with daily expected 25,000 plus!!!! I gotta perform as well!!!! These punters just demand the best in this Surrey area!

Quote of the week ***%!!! made by a drunk Proffessor of Theology as he fell over banging his head on the corner of the Mer table.
He wan`t very pleased,,,,but I thought my knickers would never dry!

On the road,,,
Ken.
English translation:

"Doing Well, having fun...Higley is a genius...the public rather than just the high born were allowed in at Bexley...starving for entertainment they are...some caught colds and will possibly expire. Oh well, all for Charity...

Another Private showing at Eton then it's off to venues expecting large crowds and I will pull out the old electric drill and stick it in my nose.

Good thing the table holding the Mermaid was sturdy as a theologically inclined educator who had imbibed to the point of intoxication fell over and caused a fit of laughter. So much for customer empathy. Oh well...all for Charity and did I mention Higley is a genius?"

End translation.
Marlborough College,,,the starting place for Sir Winston Churchill,Bannister (The first to run under the four minet mile,)and home to rich kids from 13years upwards.
With fees at around £13000 per term and a waiting list of potential clients from around the world,,,what on earth was a Higg Zibb doing here.

that's not all, for later in the week The Royal Agriculture College at Cirencester was also invaded by the Strange Things!!!

And theres even more,,,,a Mer as a feature at someone`s birthday celebrations!!!! Now who had a birthday this week???? Don`t draw the wrong conclusions!!!

Off to Moredon Hall where a free for all everyone can come show will be staged over a four day Bank Holiday run,,, (How is it that when every ones out enjoying themselves,,,I have to work?).

In another field,,,unwashed,,,,Ken.

Higley is either a genius!!! (Or just a modest prop maker) Im off,,,quick!!
Happy B-Day to the Queen say's I...not you Ken...the real one...I hope the Zibit brought a tear to her eye, a crinkle to her brow and a smile on her lips...but maybe it was that awful wig you were wearing...

I'm expecting in great anticipation a DETAILED eMail! Surprise me.

Those in the UK...go to Moreton Hall and see Ken! (and the Zibits!)

That IS MORETON Hall Ken...no D but a T...you English..........
If you go to Moreton Hall, we will not be there!!!
But if you get to Moredon Hall (Surrey) We will.

Hahaha England 1 USA 0
Hahahaha...you got that one! Tell Google there IS such a thing as Moredon hall! Thanks Ken.

D
I just wanted to add that myself and George The Giant are currently performing in Tucson at a fair and had the pleasure of seeing one of Mr. Higley's pieces in person. I must say that the pictures do not do justice to the work. The Big Kahuna has one of his Chupacabras on exhibit along with a shrunken head and the locals are just eating it up. If you are looking to do an exhibit then I would say that Higley is the man to see.
I love George the Giant, I've seen him several times in his home town of Bakersfield.
Thanks Caveat...Big Kahuna is making a 'killing' with that thing...did over 1300 Sat night there...real happy about that!

George The Giant is a good guy...we had the pleasure of meeting him at Universal Studios when he was performing there and I had my Zibits with Bobby Reynolds show in the big theater. George was just getting underway with his career...knew he was gonna make it! We met him again at the Knott's haunt one year...he had come a long way in a short time. Say hello for me.
OK another Bank Holiday under the belt with only a day free between venues its getting hectic.

Moredon Hall near where the Wombels live was our last three day venue, with crowds into the hundreds of thousands from all walks of life.
Bang centre of show were the Zibbs well patronised from 10am through to closeing at 6pm,,,,no time for tea breakes at this show.

The Hall being under National Trust care was in perfect condition as were the well mowed grounds,,,due to the area Lords and Ladies rubbed shoulders with Council Tenants and Down and Outs alike,,,,all had a common urge to spend well with our little show clearing over £1000 daily. The sponsors were pleased, the weather held out and I could do with some sleep.

Quote of the weekend>>>>> A middle aged well groomed well spoken Lady came out of the show in tears (She was a fanatic animal lover and big wig in Animal Charities) I asked her what had upset her and she replied " If only those poor creatures were alive today" I didn`t laugh,,,honest!

Scoop for us was we picked up the Hampton Court Show for later in the year,,,,yes the Zibbs are going to grace King Henry the eighths old home on the Hampton Green by the Thames.

Off again...
Ken.
Some of the Zibbs have the same color hair as Henry 8. Is this a coincidence?
Harley...we are dealing with History in the making and Royalty here. Silly comments do not show proper respect...'We are Not Amused!" 3 Jesters will be flogged in your absence and your picture will be posted in the Tower Mens Room...

Ken...we expect a leaner Kondini at the conclusion of this run...not to mention Well Connected!

Great update...you impress me beyond the telling...

as for that Newman Nave...
Ken's getting his just desserts! Henry 8 was a party boy, and almost drove his country into bankruptcy. It's meet and right that a commoner should get some back. This isn't to say that Ken's common...far from it!

And Doug, they're just too beautiful! One of them must be descended from royalty somehow, maybe the King of Zibbs? Which, BTW, you should be calling yourself. And if you feel modest about it, you can quote me.
Who would know what the hell Zibb is? Doesn't show on any map. I like 'Living National Treasure' better.
Hi Doug,
The Big Kahuna did very well at this show with your piece that is for sure. George and I had a great time and after doing 33 shows in 11 days we are a bit tired. We are looking for a nice single o for next year and I am sure we are going to coming your way.
Yeah...he just called and was pretty happy. He's a work horse...I get the imression he's one of 'those', who no matter what they did would kick butt.

Glad you and THE George had a great time...that town can be 'iffy' I hear...but we enjoy it to visit. Did you guys get to the International Wildlife Museum (or some such name) in Tuscon? It's a kick...built by a bunch of SERIOUS Big Game Hunters but presented in an 'educational' manner to ward off the do-gooders. Some impressive heads on those walls! That is if it's still there. Worth the admission that's for sure!
No, we did not get any free time while we were there. Are show schedule was very tight and we needed all the sleep we could get our hands on..lol. Next year we are going to get in early the day before and try to see some sights.
Update>>>This will be very short as I am on the road now till the second Maybank.
The last few days has seen a return to Ascot followed by three days at the Goldington Rally (Steam Engines and Beer)Plus of course the Zibbs. The return was average for these gigs due to the uncertain weather conditions predicted but not produced,,,so many stay at home punters missed out on a good show.

To listen to the comments is to live the show life,,,people make my day every time we open,,,my note book is filling well with ideas gained from my big ears,,the following seems to be to the fore>>>>> The Mer and Chup are deemed the most feasable with the Atom Worm running close behind,,,the Pigmy is in final place according to most of the many thousand visitors,,,,, maybe that's a UK opinion but it runs true at every show.
Runnymead next with two days at Moira.

Ken.
Wow, let me be the first to publicly speculate: knighthood for Kondini for his contributions to natural history!

Yours,

Paul
Correction for those unaware: It's Higley's 'Zibits not Higgs Zibbs.

Must protect the brand and identity musn't one.

Carry on.

Oh as to the Pygmy comments...could be a Brit 'thing' but more than likely the way it is being presented among the 7 Zibits I sent over. I ran a show with just the Pygmys (4 of them)...'Lost Tribe Of The Amazon' and they floored 'em...highly beliveable if American reactions are anything...even academics bought their reality, hook line and sinker. Had a lot to do with the story I came up with and the artifacts I showed with them.

Slydini (Paul) here on the Café has one that he shows with his 'Cabinet Of Curiosities' that is really liked by the public.

As to the Mer and the Chup being out front...they have that flair about them don't they! The Mer is not at all like the usual monkey head fish tail kind of old time gaff...it has it's charms as you found out last year in your single-o..
With a four day run in the grounds of Windsor (This horsey show has filled the UK media)It worked out that all is not as it seems,,,,the VIP section of these high profile events have there own gathering within the show with specials only for those in the know.This is where we played our part for two of the four day spectacle.

Quote of the week,,,upon reading our signs "The Strange Thing" What is it etc etc,,,a high pitched snobby voice exclaimed to her friends,,,,"Its proberly a man doing the ironing"!!!!!!
Countess Warnock no less.

Then on to the Royal Moira Furnace for the Canal Festival for the Saturday / Sunday.Google this place out cos it`s unreal the brickwork is a site to be seen and as sound today as it was a hundred years ago.
An unusual venue very compact with a great atmosphere,,,crowds were plentiful if a little lively with the little %**! horrors trying to crawl under the side sheets for a freebie,,,still I was on the inside with a stake in hand pursuadeing them to pay first!!!

Off again Ken.
I still can't believe The Daily Mail or some such hasn't picked up on this.
Especially since it was public at one or two of the events. And Ken...I certainly hope you are getting some pictures.
A man ironing, that's a classic.

Hey Doug, could you work that in to one of your zibs... maybe a fossilised ironing pigme?

Anyway, always great to read the updates Ken. When you doing your next public event?

Would love to come down and take a peek at the rig.

Ros
Before I set off again.

The set up is from a 10x10 Popup unit with the signs as per Dougs folio.
The exhibits are on an 8x2`6" table covered in a wine coloured cloth, signs are all in gold mounted frames.

For the Royal events,,,more external blurb is used and the set is in a 10x20 popup. The larger signs are the same but placed in slightly different positions.

Rather than the Bowler and waistcoat outfit,,,for the Royals its Bowler and pinstripe.
I spiel at most shows useing a small amp can unit from a spiderflex 4x4 stage section to the left hand side at the front of show.
For the VIP spielers???? The same unit and stageing is used but with a red carpet surface and heraldry motives at the front of the stage. The entrance is crowned with the Comedy and Tradgedy Masks in Gold gilt and a loud haler (Original made from Paper Mache and on loan from Bowood House)Is used for the VIP`s to shout up.

No money is transacted at the private shows,,,,all tickets paid for in advance.
The public shows are still a 50p come on as for the singlo.

No pictures or even phone pics are possible at the privates and public shows are the same as last years set, which I believe Doug has a disc of.

Venues are left till the last minet for security purposes,,,and we have another 24 week run of mixed events with 18 midweek one offs as well.

Bookings from the most unexpected people just turn up,,,this last weekend has secured a private showing of the Mer and Chup,,,booked for a midweek Thames Boat Party,,,the guest list is something to stretch the imagination and tickets are all but sold already,,,,,so once more its not what you know but who you know.
BTW,,,,proceeds from the Thames Party boat trip will be going towards pens, paper etc for kids in the Philippines,,,,(Special Guest on Board,,,Emicery for Marraghi Indian Religouse leader).

Ken.
As usual...I'm flabbergasted.

Can't wait to see the list of VIPs doing the bally for my Zibits! Astounding ken...astounding.
ANOTHER 24 WEEK RUN?

Wow Ken, that's very impressive.

"Kondini: Exhibitor of Strange Things to Princes and Kings"

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit envious, but I'm not the one who busted my backside to put myself into such a position. Great work!

Chris
WOW!!!

I don't know what to say?

I'm amazed!

Nice work Ken :)

RW
I believe the 24 week run Ken mentioned is part of the same Original run of over 50 Royal weeks. Check it out...

This goes to show what determination can do. This is the exact SAME plan I offer in the How-To on my site...Ken bought it and a single Zibit last year and did very well with IT and the Plan as part of his amazing sideshow performance. Ken was thinking of expanding this year BUT Timing & luck played a part as that little show was seen by someone VERY 'high up' and a request was made to gather more Zibits and play special venues for a special clientel in places undreamed of to house such a thing. Ken took the bit and ran full steam. 6 more random exhibits (no real theme) were made & shippd over and the basic plan lightly expanded to accomodate the new stuff...however the same basic plan is in force...only on a presentation scale that boggles my mind everytime I consider what is going on there. Evidently the paying customers like it enough to keep Ken traveling his proverbial hiney off but without have to drill his nose with motorized tools and strangle himself in heavy chains (well maybe sometimes)...of course now he's a well paid security guard and chauffer to a batch of wacky Gaffs...but hey...it beats working 5 shows a day as a crazy person! Just another kind of crazy...in Bowler and Pinstripe.

One day the whole story can be told....soon.

Wait till you all here about the Bally Pitch and WHO is doing it. :)
You guys just keep dangling that carrot just out of reach don't you!

Can't wait for the 24 weeks to be over to hear the whole story.
I'm also not the one who put together all of the gaffs as well as an effective and out-of-the-box marketing plan...congrats to Doug for all of his sweat on the front end of this project!

For those still looking and questioning the worth of the investment in a piece or two (or seven...yikes!), I can personally tell you that Doug's zibits help to open doors and (unless you are a complete jerk)and KEEP THEM PROPPED OPEN for future work. We've adoped a phrase: "Quality seeks out quality." This is definitely true of anything that leaves Doug's workshop and is put to its true and intended use!

Chris
I heard a rumor that they're now called "Higg's Zibbleys". Or maybe it was higzibits. I'm not sure if the H is silent.
'Higley's Zibbits' will do fine thankyou. Brand recognition is even important to a lowly sideshow Gaffer. aka 'The Best Gaffs On Earth'

:)
I couldn't find anything about the zibbs, but I did find Kondini in the news...http://www.wimbledonnews.co.uk/search/display.var.490227.0.good_knight_to_the_driller_killer.php
Notice the spelling of Morden Hall.
Cool...but that was from 2004. :)
Back Home after a a four month stint in the hinterlands of the American Southwest.

The story of the 'zibhits will be written one day, but for the moment lets just say that there were some ups and downs with America's Smallest Travelling Museum. The highlights include Yuma and Tucson. The lows inlcuded Indio and the Tanke Verde Flea Market (Tucson)....more about that another day, or year....

This is Kondini's thread, so let me say kudos, Doug has filled me in bit by bit whilst I was on the road as I was sans communication with the outside (internet) world. Got most of my news of the world from the carnies (now that's a scary thought)

Met John Shaw and George the Giant at the Pima County Fair in Tucson--nice gentlemen who would stop by every day to say hi and shot the breeze betwen shows. Thanks John for the kind words here on the forum....worked those little puppies, taking dollars from toddlers waiting in line--Ha!!! It was a wonder I didn't go to jail. We had Border Patrol, Pima COunty Sheriffs and even a State Inspector for Livetock or something like that....

we had customers run screaming down the midway yelling "What the F@@@!" (that was one who swore I was ripping her off as she handed me a dollar---made another 30 buck off of her screams....

Another patron ran out and vomited....made more bucks off her as it was an excellent selling point to reluctant patrons...."Is it really Strange?" "I hope you don;t vomit like that last lady" would be my reply--out come the dollars...

Unload the vehicles tomorrow and then reload the VW bus as its off to Chico on Monday and set it up for another six day stint...Am trying to see about aother booking between Chico and Placerville (Doug's Pygmy show in '93)

I'm tired, just got in from Reno/Carson City...

ciao all

abigkahuna
Thanks for the updates on your adventures Ken. More stories please. I look forward to seeing you down the road...Hopefully...

Corona
Another week over with split units one at Belver the other fund grabbing for the Princes Trust.
A poor response to both due to the rotten weather but even so with the advance ticket sales bringing in over £750 it was still worth the effort made.
Picked up a plumb with a single days booking with the zibbs for Dunster Lawns in the Grounds of Dunster Castle sometime in September.

On a fligher we see that Mr Higley has surpassed himself with his exhibits winning the Eurovision Song Contest!!!! So even Finland has been invaded!!!!

Had the first offer this weekend,,,,xxxx£ for the Chup,,,,from a Landlord who wanted an attraction to put on the bar of his Pub. The Guy upped the anti to £450 then walked off in disgust,,,,returned later to enquire just how much it had cost me,,,,of course after explaining that I had spent many thousands of pounds tracking down these oddities, and traveled the world in this course, he fully understood that the true value was way out of his reach!!!!!

Ken.
Now whats this about Mr. Higley and the Eurovision song contestn and that mighty country of Finland.
Ken...what ever happened to PASSSING ON MY eMail address??? 450 pounds? Cripes man...give a brother a break here! I do have Bar Decor as well ya know! I thought watchin' may back was part of this freindship...blimey.

Not a Higley song Jeff...just a band in monster suits.

450 pounds...$800...mumble mumble....
Another busy week with the Maybank wet as ever,,,a small village hosted the Zibbs on the outer boundary of Balmoral for a short showing (3 hours) Then by Helicopter down to the garden of England for three days at the Sellindge Steam Special, this was their 36th year with our little show and exhibits taking pride of place right on the main arena.

Crowds were pressing through well with the showers pushing even more through (To keep out of the rain) This always works,,,,rain fills the tents in the UK!!!
The Monday main day was the worse with towing both on and off for punters and performers alike.
The Amazing Magnus was dual billed with us, with his beds of nails, strangulation, fire and steam roller escapes.We bump into each other on a regular basis (Around every ten years or so) Such is the show run!!

The upper crust were as per usual,,,,with their human nature of "They cant be real>>>>>> Or could they!!! One will go in with their friends holding back waiting for a visual report,,,but curiosity kills them and they all end up parting with the cash hahaha,,,,"Showbiz"

Seven zibbs a showground entertainer a few nails and a hammer flying across the UK in a Wessex Whirlwind,,,whatever next?

Next Stop City of Wolverhampton Show,,,guest of honour and first in the Strange Thing Q will be the Lord Mayor,,,complete with chain of office.

Time out.

Ken.
Next? Do something hanging UNDER the Wessex Whirlwind.

That's how to have a good time!
I want to move to Wolverhampton. Hook me up with the Mayor for a Key eh?

Is this a public show of just the one Zibit or all 7???
Public show with private VIP bookings separate with all 7 for the VIP`s just 2 for the common folk (Like Harley !!).
Wait, am I common, or am I the zibit? Either's ok with me. But I won't bow.
Well with Wolverhampton done and dusted we move onto the two private showings that make set up a pain in the butt.
Number one held in a Town House in the Cossely Area of the Midlands saw the seven zibbs carted up the four flights of stairs to the dimley lit attic room lit only by small spotlights to highlight each case.
The VIP visitors (Most in their eighties) Eventualy got there, somewhat short of puff after the climb, to be greeted by a white faced Druid clothed hostess who escorted each in turn around the attic of the strange.

Five hours later we broke down and headed for the Civic Offices where we were presented with the charter to the City (Which gives us the right to exhibit in the centre of any City Show, rent free) Nice one son!!

Then on to Worcester for a private showing at the Potteries which will take place in approx four hours time.

Still well ahead in popularity is the Road Kill with the Death worm a very close second.

It appears that through constant showings I am starting to believe my own patter!! Which must assist in the putting over of the lie to the punters,, a comment made to the fact by Mayor Elect, Councillor Malcolm Gwineth (Next Mayor of Wolverhampton) Who fully believes I have put over ten years of study into the exploration of these unusual exhibits.

Higley,,,you have a lot to answer for.

Rough total from the Wolves show (16 hrs open) £675) Actual total from 7hrs private showings £4603 all for Charity.

I am thinking of becomeing a charity !!

Im gone Ken.
"Five hours later we broke down and headed for the Civic Offices where we were presented with the charter to the City (Which gives us the right to exhibit in the centre of any City Show, rent free) Nice one son!!"

Thanks Dad. I expect a copy of that please. I'm missin' all the fun! What I wouldn't give...
A very busy week done with visits to Buck Palace Road, Leamington Spa, Bath, Oswestry and Santa Pod. All were privates for Polititions and such like with the Public viewings of two Zibbs on the Saturday and Sunday at the Wilts Steam Fair.
The weather was extreme, the crowds at the Steam Fair were extreme and with the football fever at pitch the excess drink mixed with the heat caused friction by the boat load with fights and fients and spew etc all over the place.
Security did their best but were well outnumbered.

We lost punters due to this which was a pity because it could have been a record breaking day all round.
The Police were a complete waste of space taking no action against the trouble makers at all,,,all the showmen were left to fend for themselves.

We escaped unscathed and are now on the way to The Nibley Show which is a three dayer for the public, right in the heart of the Gloucester Downs.

Something positive from the affray though,,,I now have a good supply of thick glass bottles for the glass walking next weekend.!!!

Ken.
The Nibley Show was a huge task with punters solid from 10am through to 6pm, no time for ablutions or food, but what a take for three days.
The useual drunks tried on night one to lift the Zibbs by crawling under the sidewalls,,,,but man were they shocked to find beside the seven Zibbs on display that there were two of us sleeping in there with them,,,,,,I wore a horror mask from our slum stall and scared the ***T out of them!!!!

On now to the upper crust event last night (Or was it this morning???).

Christs College Cambridge,,,,The May Ball (20th-21st June) In the grounds of Christ`s.

Opened at 9pm on the Tuesday evening and closed at 6am the following Wednesday morning (This morning).
The kids were rocking,,beer bottles, glasses, girls half naked laying all over the grass. Pop groups with multiple stages, full sized fun fair, classical music,walkabout entertainers you name it,,,,these brains of Britain had it.
Set in the grounds of this fantastic College with the history of Cambridge Schooling and amazing biuldings as a backdrop how can I start to describe this crazy but wonderful event.

I was booked to perform on the main stage at 3am with pro lighting, sound and rigging experts supplied for my use, what a buzz to have and work with the best in the UK,,,,and massive crowds at 3am !!!

With tickets at £140 per head,,,,sold out in advance,,,see http://www.christsmayball.com or google it,,,,just look at the menu!!!! Yes and over in the corner was a Higgs Mer (These *** things tend to get everywhere) You don`t want me to tell you who patronised this event,,,,everyone`s kid who is anyone was there,,,and due to over consumption is proberly still there now!!!

Our first screemer of the year was a student in very short skirt with very long legs,,,,last seen heading in the direction of London on the M11,,,,,,she swore the Mer moved!!!!!

On to HMS Sultan for their three day hype in aid of the Militory.

Later, Ken.
The experiences of a lifetime...all because somebody well placed saw the mer you showed last year coupled with your savy and experience in how to maginfy an opportunity beyond maximum...just too many amazing things over the past couple of months to fathom my friend. And because we have to be so friggin' cryptic...not a soul (on this board or anywhere else) knows the full story or impact of what's going on.

By the way, when you are doing the punters (not the high born) and performing your act, do you have the banner up?
Yes Doug,,,,up at all times.
To add to the above,,,,,the set up is exactly as in Dougs notes,,,nothing more than that.

The way the come on is made is very basic and can be picked up in minets,,,the air of being curious is what sells the whole thing, that`s it.Also being the only one of it`s kind (At present!) Gives us the complete edge,,,next year I am sure a few showmen will try and crease in,,,,but too late pals,,,it`s been done now and exploited beyond anyone`s dreams,the list of who`s who,who have paid homage to our little gaff is unbelievable and will never be matched,,,ever.

Ken.
OK weekends a done deal with three days (Two open to the public)At HMS Sultan. Google it.

A very big show in its 50th centenery year complete with top acts, fairground and Air displays.
Booked to do 5 shows with a single VIP (And I really meen VIP) Tent viewing of the zibbs,,,admirals,,,this and that,,,the elite of the British Navy queing up to see the strange things,they all kept in an orderly line with their caps in easy position at 90 degrees to the wrist,,,,only on exit did they let their short hair down to explicits of what they had just seen,,,,believers outnumbered the disbelievers and considering the football was on and we held them,,,,then it was a victory for us all,,,,includeing the Navy charities which will benefit from this monster of a show.

With the VIP tent shrouded in red velvet,,,,the usual red carpet some fifty feet in length,,,the guests arriveing in a shiny white stretch limo,,,the officers in full ceremonial dress and me in pin stripe and bowler.
Canopies with champers for mingles,,,,,God this work is tough!!!!

Next stop,,,Bromyard Gala with a possible Red Arrow viewing of the zibbs !!!

Down the road,
Ken.
Thanks for the report Ken...I don't think I've ever felt so 'left out' in all my life...if only there had been a documentary camera crew assigned to this! Not to mention we won't have a single picture! grrrrr.

What's a Red Arrow View?
The Red Arrows,,,,RAF Supreme aerobatic display team,,,Google it.
I have a few pics of set up etc which I hope to put into a pamphlet form with info for you at the end of the run,,,,NOT for publication though.

NB,,,,Your contact details are displayed on the front info board of the show,,,,as an advisor to the unusual OK.
The Thames Boat trip complete with zibbs is now a definate.

Ken.
Wahhhhh! (I'm pitching a fit) If only I had saved over my life for that plane ticket!! man oh man...
Bromyard Gala now done with crowds vanishing at 3pm for the football on the Saturday,,,,,All the Showmans prayers were answered when we got kicked out of the World Cup,,,with massive returns fighting to get in the gate on the Sunday.

The zibbs were in a very quiet position but drew huge response,,,,why???? well we were backing onto a line of Portaloo Toilets,,,,the day was really hot,,,the toilets took on a smell which grew with their useage,,,,,my talk changed to the fact that the unusual things on the inside were indeed suffereing from the heat, decomposed strange things were the order of the day and the pong turned a good dollar or two,,yes folk are strange,,,,the pong pulled the punters.
Upon leaving we were begged to return next year to their centenary show (40yrs) We will, with a singlo mer,,,,,a zibb booked a year in advance, can`t be bad.

Once again the RSPCA made fools of themselves by insisting they view the show,,,I also insisted they pay the price of admission,,,,they refused,,,,a Policeman was called,,,,he paid,,,,,so all was happy in the end,,,except for the RSPCA official who I castigated very loudly over the mike,,,he went red and ran away,,,we soon had another Q due to the incident!!!!

Off to one of the best Rallies in the UK,,,Rempstone (Google it) In the Midlands, three days of fun from morn to night and through the night as well.

The zibbs make a very special visit to the home of the famouse pork pies,,,Melton Mowbrey,,,just down the road from the showground.

Gone with the pong,,,,Ken.
Another two contracts out of the way with opposite presentations to make life harder. The midweek run back to Moredon for a three hour showing of all the zibbs proved a problem with parking (London gets worse all the time)We had to carry the zibbs some distance to their freshly set up quarters in the grounds of the Inter Continental Hotel where VIP guests from the world of Wimbledon Tennis came to view,,,,again well received but open for far too short a period.

Then on to Rempstone for three days of fun at this very well supported Rally. The Fairground starved but we held our own by useing the Fakir Act as a come on to the show.
Again very long Q`s from 10 till 10 with a varied cross section of public and only three VIP`s from the Leicester Council.

On a very sad note,,,from Showman David Weeks we hear that Showlady Betty Allen died in the early hours of Thursday morning,,,,Betty and her Mum were proberly the most respected names in the outside showworld here in the UK,,,,With a Paradeing show which held grounds at all the major Fairs and walkrounds, head on a sword, Rat Pit, Snake Pit, Girl in a Bottle,The PG Tips Chimps,Waxworks Show,etc etc,,,they were truly the last of the showwomen of England. With their close ties to Circus,,,,remember The Lady of the Lions (Betts Mum) I learnt the ropes from the Allen Family and they have brought an era to an end.

Strange but true,,,,on the same day that Betty was taken into hospital,,,Wall of Death Owner / Rider Alan Ford was also admitted into hospital for a replacement heart valve,,,he is fine,,,,but that's not all,,,,the legendary Wall Rider Gerry Le Roy (Now the oldest WOD rider in the World) Had a quadruple bypass as well with a huge scar to prove it!!!! As Gerry said,,,"I have been a wall rider all of my life, come off quite a few times with the odd brocken thumb or two,,,,then end up in Hospital with surgery to follow by walking down the street!!!

Off to Weeting Steam now for three days of getting covered in coal smutts, not forgetting the detour on route to Leytonstone and Mile End Road in the East End of London (We accepted this private viewing out of sheer self indulgence) The venue is only a couple of yards from where The Elephant Man was exhibited all those years ago,,,what would Mr Merrick think of these zibbs?
His remains are still there in the GL Hospital just up the road.

Pedal to the metal,,,,

Ken.
Not a lot to report on this week,,,the London E-end gig was a huge test as many of the lookers are aware of our biz and the way we promote it. All were without fail impressed with Dougs work and comments on the colouring as per a geniune!!! feature (You will have to see a zibb to know what they meen)I also commented a while ago on this,,,, it makes all the difference.

Three days in coal smutts and dust with high temps took the toll of the Weeting Show.I received facial burns (Around the nose area) With the fire brands vapor causing havoc,,,lighting when they chose rather than me,,,,,grass spattered flames from the fuel drops on the blowouts ment the fire hose was out on and off all day even at 9pm the heat was a Fire eaters nightmare.

With public viewing of the zibbs, take was down due to the heat,,,,the speckies staying in the beer tent to keep cool,,,,we covered about £650 in all so we did our best,,,,such is show life.

Betty Allen`s cremation in London tomorrow with a who`s who of show folk bound to attend,,,a sad day for me with time to reflect. Then on to Liskard for three days with a midweek drop at Dunster Castle on the Wednesday,,,,really big bigwigs from Somerset and Cornish high class families who have already parted with the price of admission.

Down the road,,,,yet again.
Ken.
Liskard and Dunster now under the belt on route for three days out in Dover a stones throw from the Channel Tunnel.

Now to drive a double load around Cornwall is a show in itself with the A39 invented by a drunk or junkie!!! These crazy narrow zigzag roads with high holiday traffic and sheer drop curb sides have to be navigated with extreme caution at all times. The tractor unit with generating trailer pulling the caravan as a train unit with overall length of fifty feet made the six hour journey seem a lifetime but we got there and over to Dunster Castle without mishap which is more than can be said of the two upturned caravans and cars on the A30 dual way which we passed on the way.

Liskard with its vast Estate (Far larger than the Royals own Windsor estates) Boconnic Estate by name and effect with thousands upon thousands of holiday makers eager to see the strange things.Again a sizzling success with temps in the 99 degree bracket.

Onto Dunster Castle with us setting up on the Castle Lawns. A most pleasant place to be with the Minehead sands!!! and sea only two miles down the road.The Dignatries of Somerset and Devon descended upon us with their ceremonial gowns and studdied garters to keep the days activities in keeping with the mood,,,again tens of thousands paid the price to play on the grass and watch the huntmen in crimson attire and bike riders risking all not to forget of course the strange things in the small white tent, smack in the centre of the main drag.Such venues and takings are a dream to the showman.

On a sadder note, with a good turn out at Betty Allens cremation, we returned home for a shower to find out that another of the last great UK showmen had passed on,,,the one and only Ronnie Taylor,,,,what can I say,,,its with a heavy heart that we return to the road, but the Show must go on!!

Stop press>>>>>> For those of you interested in Wall Riders>>>>>>My very close friend Allan Ford has just finished the first comprehensive world history of the Wall of Death, including over 150 original images, this is a most fascinating and unique insight into a part of our showmans folklore.It is to be promoted at the Great Dorset Steam Fair (The largest fair of its kind in the World today).For further info, pm me and with time permitting I will get back to you,,,,,promise.

Onto Waldershare Show, all the Kent VIP`s will be there,,,will you??? cos you darn well should be.

Later,,,Ken.
I believe the upturned vehicles on the A30 were just trying to get out of your way...very polite. As it should be.
My Dad was a Wall Rider...very fitting says I.

Thanks Ken for the Trip Diary
Waldershare done deep in the garden of England (Kent)The four hour trip was worth the work with private showings of three zibbs at the Channel Ferry Terminal as a bonus.The crowds although thin were very keen with their pocket change jingling which we quickly removed.
We found out upon arrival that there were a further six events within a ten mile radius of ours so quick thinking had us fly posting on top of the oppositions bills which ensured a larger gate for us,,,,ok,,,maybe a little naughty, but that's the biz.

Allen Ford paid us a visit and presented me with a signed copy of the Wall book,,a fair bit on US riders as well, indeed a very good read for those interested in The Wall of Death.

The funeral of Ronnie Taylor at 1.30pm tomorrow,,,this will be a spot the personality day, a huge occassion which will be held at Gloucester Cathedral no less.I expect Black Horses, the complete works with a turn out of thousands who will ring the final bell on Ronnies Boxing Booth,,,,still he will be in good company with Betty Allen and I bet it will not be long before they form their own show line in the sky!!!!

Gloucester to remember tomorrow then on to Lingfield Show in Sussex for three days graft. All VIP tickets sold out for the zibbs at this showing way back in May!!! Such is the power of the press.

Gone Ken.
What Press????????
Thanks Ken
Doug, the Charity sponsors promoted the idea of select donations through their own blurb within their own circles.
This kept the common herd (People like me)From gate crashing their venues.The Free Masons have such power and organised ability within their own ranks to offer extended private publicity by the bucket full!!!!!!
Again its not what you know but who!!!!

Ken.
And YOU know ME...can't beat that!

Except maybe I know You! :)
Lingfield Show dusted with a very poor turn out indeed.The showmen suffered with no Saturday night opening and we ended up in asso corner among a tractor line up so we had no chance.So very sadly we only gained a few lay punters throughout the show opening with poor profits to boot,,,,,,however the trip into Brighton and Hove, a pre ticket event for Friday and Saturday evening (Set up by the combined political parties in the area)Scored very highly indeed with the gate prices and extra blowoff of Stretch the rubber boy topping four figures on both evenings.So Charities were smileing.

Ronnie Taylors send off was as expected with thousands turning up at Gloucester Cathedral, a very grand spread,,,paid for by Ronnie himself!!!! This will be reported elswhere in the Worlds Fair etc so no more here.

We dropped off the rigg just twenty miles up the road in the Redhill Steam Fair site ready for next weekend.This is a prime show and full of the Old Tyme Style rides so atmophere will be great.
This Show is for laypeople only,,,no VIP`s not a private do....but Saturday night of the show will see two zibbs !!!! Ah that`s a secret.

Off Ken.
Gary Stretch is a delightful human being, and a d*mn fine performer!

Once upon a time, I was eyewitness to a tree knocking him to the floor and pinning him down. It was quite the interesting wrestling match! The tree had more limbs than he, but he was able to stretch the match out until he came out on top.
Redhill Rally done and what a friendly show,,,unlike the weather!
Its getting kind of silly now, what with Lingfield and Redhill within ten miles of each other and Gatwick Airport in between the two,,,well the idiots have excelled themselves this time with bomb threats, cancelled flights, police crawling all over the place,,,,guess where we are next weekend??? High Wycombe Show,,,thats right,,,where the idiots are supposed to have there terror cells, what chance can a gaggle of zibbs and a knackered showman do?

The security so intense that gates were well down,,,everyone looking over their shoulders for left bags and babies bottles filled with liquid explosive,,,,the country has gone completly mad.

So what will next weekend bring,,,more threats, more long faces and even lower gates. There must be somewhere in the world where I can live in peace and sell my humbug,,,,but it sure isn't the UK right now.

Can you imagine seven zibbs going through the security scanner,,,,what the hell,,,followed by them looking through my prop bag with its swords, hammer, nails, bobby pins, broken bottles, handcuffs and chain !!!!! At leaste at HMP I would get fed, watch TV and pay no taxes,,,,and inside I would proberly be safer from bomb threats!!!!

Back on the road,,,,eyes skyward looking for explodeing planes.

Ken.
Just returned from a midweek corporate event at RAF Lyneham (The home of the Hercules).
In good company with the Red Arrows and Falcon freefall team we amused the selected VIP guests (Members of the RAF based at Lyneham and their families only permitted in to the show).A huge ammount being raised in the pre ticket sales ensured charities a good return from the day.

VIP`s from the RAF from camp commander down, covered in scambled egg and military colours.

Due to the state of the Nation, security took two hours to clear our transport, zibbs and props with photo ID prepared on the spot and explosive sniffer dogs going through everything (They ignored the zibbs but one seemed to like it in the outer case of a loud speaker box and was reluctant to re-emerge.)

A great day out for all with the zibbs once more a central attraction.
Man are those Harrier Jets noisy!!!

Now onto the home of the terror cells High Wycomb for the Town show.
Is this a first for a zibb,,,,being sniffed by a dog for explosives?

Gone Ken
Well Wycomb more than lived up to its reputation. The Saturday saw floods across the showground up to two feet deep in places with the river bank breaking as the show opened.
The public swam out of the gate, as we put the zibbs on higher tables just in case,,,then to cap the lot a water main burst with a four inch mains pressure jet shooting into the air.
The Fire Brigade responded an hour later which must have been some kind of record as they were resident on the showground with us !!!!! Another jobs worth award here which only got sorted when the Water Board turned up.

With Fire,Police and Ambulance rushing around this terror cell Town I was glad to get to bed in the back of the van around one thirty in the morning,,,,only to be shocked out of sleep by two helicopters complete with beams surveying the show site for another two hours.

Sunday brought the sunshine but due to the present political climate very few people,,,,we packed up early and got outa that place as fast as we could.Amazed at the reaction from the bookers who must have lost thousands of pounds over the two days as they re-booked us for next year (They have got to be haveing a laugh).

The Thames boat trip with VIP`s and zibbs on board will take place Wednesday,,then onto North London for the three day Bank Holiday romp.

Wet and knackered Ken.
With the zibbs floating down the Thames on this luxuory boat complete with Sparkling wine,string quartet and waiter service I felt quite at home.
The evening shot by with VIP visits to the galley where the Mer and Chup resided on their red velvet tables, with the tinkling of glasses and laughter which could be heard from the rivers banks,,,,what a night to remember!

The mixture of Indian Marraghji and well dressed followers all in search of their own knowledge (Their life quest)With a few hand picked English followers of the cult ushering these important men (No women) To and from the zibbs,,,if they could only talk!
Another very high success for our little show.

Onward to Hampton Court with seven zibbs on display (This yearly event has been well covered elsewhere so I shall not elaborate here) Another fantastic day for us all,,,,and a private viewing of the Court conducted just for me!!!! What memories this season will hold for me.

Now to Hainault Park with three days over the Bank Holiday which was open to the general public of which around 15,000 turned up despite the overcast weather,,,again a high score weekend with full pockets for all.

Onward now to Bowood House (Google it!) For a couple of days showing at the Crime Stoppers Show.
The highest ranking Police,Ambulance and Fire Brigade Officers will see the Strange things,,,,one showing only, on the inside, no queing, no waiting the show goes on all the time.

Ken.
I hate you. You are having a ridiculously grand time while the highlight of my week is I rode Bumper Cars.
Well Doug you can hate me a bit more now,,,with six zibbs on display at Bowood House we left the scene in capable hands (A Chief Inspector no less) Then made our way with the Mer for spot appearances at Silbury Hill, Stone Henge, Avebury (Village of the Stones) and Longleat (Google these they are really impressive sites),,,,Why,,,well with the National Trust showing no interest in our show we thought we should gate hop and crash their joints anyway!!!!! So we did,,,,,much to the aurprise of all the Custodians involved.

OK it was a crazy foolish thing to do,,,but we had nothing to loose and all to gain,,,which after the count up,,,proved very worth while for the Charities collected for.

How was this made possible??? Easy, I have a Brava 4x4 which we rigged as per Dougs truck set up. The route planned,,,easy as Avebury,Stone Henge and Silbury are within 20 miles of each other and Longleat (With its cancelled air race,,but loads of punters) Was only 25 miles from Avebury.

Yes we could have come out on the wrong side of the Law,,but don`t forget where the other six zibbs were at the same time.

Adventure over,,,,zibbs 1 National Trust 0

Off to Watford now for a private paid mer viewing picked up at Wycombe Show,,,,, then four days in the Midlands on the Welsh border at Malpass.

Ken.
The Midlands bash now done with visits to Malpass Show and the Stamford House hop, this picked up a nice one for the next Glastonbury Festival and Womad (Yes the zibbs will be rocking the night away here).

The Hells Angels Bull Dog Bash and Chatham Dickensian Show were also queried for next year so things seem to rock n roll all the time for us.

A private for the Nottinghill Carnival showed a dissapointing return,,,,the viewers just didn`t get it!!!!
Must be a cultural thing,,,,just a few smiles and polite comments not what we expected at all.

On to Bromsgrove for a three day Steam Up which completes our Midlands showings for this year,,,,then into the inside venues for a few weeks of luxury.

Ken
As the Pope said to Michaelangelo..."When will it end?"
Kondini, stop. You're killing me. Now I'm taking out dollar bills, looking at the picture of George Washington, and saying, you stupid git, we could have been part of this. What's so bad about living under the Crown?

My only consolation is that I know that no matter how bad I feel, Doug feels worse.

OK, tell us...did the Mer wake up a bit at Stonehenge? Even a little? All that cosmic energy...

Yours,

Paul
You got that right Paul. :-(

Wow...my Zibits at Stonehenge. How cool is that?
Bobby Reynolds once showed one of my Aliens at Rozwell....can't match Stonehenge and Bucky Palace though!
Bromsgrove done,,,poor Friday, better Saturday and Burster Sunday.
We played opposite Dr Busker for two of the nights,,,,if you have not heard of him Google,,,but beware his folk songs on the show runs will leave you red faced to say the least,,,,the Chubby Brown of Steam Rallies,,,,not for the prudes but he sure as hell makes me chuckle and plays to good houses.

Private venues for this midweek, does Rothchild meen anything to you.

Then onto Abingdon for a small steam weekend at the station,,,zibbs not yet confirmed for this but the show is.

A return to Hampton Court is on the cards also Xmas one nighters just about all over the UK,,,these zibbs have got some mileage under there belts.

Ken
And to think...I threw in the belts at no charge.
The Steam Museum was a lot of fun but the way the show was laid out foot traffic was only medium. We were put opposite a row of stationary engines with there constant putt putt noises driveing me completely mad by the end of the day.

The Charity made their quota so all turned out AOK in the end.

A very short break this week with us attending the five day Bridgewater Street Fair,,,set up tomorrow.
Opening times 10am till 11:30pm,,,,I am going to have to catch up on the sleep at the end of December (If I last that long!).

Nottingham Goose,Marlborough Mop,Pewsey Carnival will all have a zibb or two on display,,with VIP talkers (No not me) In attendance.

Water`s loaded, so off we go.

Ken
Well Bridgewater done from the Tuesday to the Sunday with opening times from 9am closeing at 11:30pm. Hell this is hard, no time for the toilet,on the go with no breaks for food (You eat as you work) With the show finish at 11:30pm then into the all night Pub (Back door lock down)Till 3am shooting the bull with fellow grafters.No time to wash and electric shave rashes popping up on every grafters chin.

You have to do this in order to understand the life,,,,,backend run of work is the winter cash, so we all have to push until you drop.
No sooner does the head hit the pillow,,,then bang, bang your out again de-sheeting the gaff ready for another hard day.

Bridgewater Fair, one of the largest and oldest in the UK is always well attended,,, the biggest and fastest machines always score well here with ticket prices of £2 to £4 a punter and 15 rides an hour with up to 60 punters when rideing black you can see the profits of a 14hour opening.
Ground space here is like gold dust so my 20ft plot (Same place each year) Has been an earner and a half for many, many years now.

With demming slum, and a singlo,,,we hit well and drove out after break down at 5am this morning,,,,,after count up we cleared £"!!!! (Mind your own!). Yes sure we will be back again, same spot,place, and time next year.

In these days of the chequer plate,speed,flash rides and pic ticket cons,there will always be a demand for the old,the unusual and human oddities scam.Proved yet again with the zibbs and duckering gaffs holding their own.

Off to bed now zzzzzzzz

Ken.
PS for any pretenders to this life who wish to learn more,,,you have to do this type of gaff,,,you have to feel the pain in order to get your dream.
Chest, forearms, thighs, shins, cut up from barbed wire. Back covered with what started as indentations, and now look like fly bites, from nails. Deep indentations from other nails. Ear and foot cut from glass. Nostril seriously chapped from drill. Lips blistered by fire. Brushburn on elbow, from pavement. Boot print on forehead. Overextended knee. Pulled trapezius muscle. And that's just from a couple of days work. Tricks? Hah!

On the other hand, established a new and unbeatable (even by me) record for bed of nails, bettered the official one for height of a fireball by 50%, entertained thousands of people live, and quite a few more on TV, and went to bed with a feeling of having done a good day's work. One could ask for more, but why?

Oh yes, more might be a paycheck. That's a nice thing too.
You got the pain too then Harley !!!!
If we weren't 6000 miles away from each other, I'd gladly sit down with you right now, and order something to ease it!

Probably would lead to a brushburn on the other elbow!
Quick scoop,,,,,just verified a three day booking for the zibbs at Lacock Abbey.
This is where the Harry Potter films were made (Not seen them myself but will make the effort now!).

What better venue than the home of real!!! Magic and wonder!!! Hogwarts!!!! Now zibbs.

Ken
This is all well and good for your memory banks but if my Zibits are on display at Hogwarts...I want freakin' pictures! No excuses this time.
I saw one of them last night, lurking in a parking lot of a haunted attraction, that wasn't open yet.

Doug, your work is...well, beautiful may not be quite the right word, but it is!
Very cool! Lacock Abbey was also used as a location for a couple of episodes of "Robin of Sherwood"
With Pewsey Carnival (The best attended in the Wiltshire area)Done and dusted,,,the results made the front page in last weeks Worlds Fair,,,what a pic,,,we split the gaffs with Marlborough Mop (Charter Fair under the King John Charter) With The Goose Fair, this is proberly the best known back ender in the UK. Again good TV and press exposure with the opening by ringing Tom Normans twin bells (Tom Norman,,,elephant man promoter and bygone sideshow owner)Off we went again with frantic trade from 10am to midnight right through to the Sunday, weather good,turn out good,profits good.Once more the show corner was empty with my memories of the Scottish Giant,Ronnie Taylors Booth,Allens Girl in the Bottle and snake Pit, the Mouse Town etc,,,,,all gone and never to return,,,,,,Nottingham has lost its roots with the fast, glitter,check plate bank owned rides flooding the pitch.

This year the age teller and giant jumping bean seller were also missing,,,,,if this is a sign for the future then our little shows time is coming up too!!

We split the zibbs into three units,,,,all made the minimum expected with the Marlborough Little Mop topping the league (Surprise was as this gaff was only open for 14hrs trade) Imagine the pressure of the Q`s here!

The Inter Continental Hotel is under refurbishment and due to open in November,,,,positioned at the end of Park Lane in Mayfair and overlooking Hyde Park Corner this seems an unlikely venue for a zibbit,,,,,but the Mer and her Daddy have been booked for a corporate evening at the opening to give a lecture dem of our odd life!!!!
A very fat fee for three hrs work will again expand the coffers for the Comedy Relief Charity.

Bath time,,,,,,gotta get rid of this Candy Floss pong!

Ken
A short one this weekend with only a few thousand punters. But what a collection they were,,,, in the Manor House at Sulgrave,the ancestral home of the Washingtons in Britain,,,,with the largest collection of George Washington memorabilia in the UK. Showing the British contribution to the origins of the USA see http://www.sulgravemanor.org.uk/ We were entertaining the Rolls Royce owners club (Wow what a collection of motors queing up to see the zibbs!!!!) With entrance charges of £7.50 for such a small show,,,,,of course we made our XXXX`s plus.

Inside working is turning me soft!!

Ken.
That is definately the pointr of my How-To. Glad you absorbed it and reaping the rewards in your golden years. :)
Another week has passed with private zibb viewings around the Dorset area. Worthy of mention the Digby`s of Sherbourne, The Castle and Abbey (In the grounds tented of course).With flying visits to Yoevil and Dorchester,,,,culminating at the Brewers Quay in Weymouth. Not exactly weather to swim in but a lot of fun, thousands of kids (Hate em).

The end of the sponsored run is now in sight with a bit of a shock being told that in order to squeeze the last £ for charity out of this contract, five of the zibbs will be charity auctioned!!!! Im not too happy about this as I thought they were to be given to a wonderful Showman for his personal use!!! Guess who??? Me of course,,,,,,still at least I get first choice and a single mate for my Mer.

I may come across as being completely bonkers if I say that throughout this season I have become very attached to my odd friends (Please don`t laugh)Its true,,giving pet names to each and every one of them,,,, when we become parted it will be very hard for me!!!! I know this sounds silly, but it is true....

Better go now before the Mushrooms ware off.

Ken.

HMS Sultan again on Thursday next followed by three days at Newark Showground,,,later.
With the Navy at HMS Sultan (Return gig)We had fun with Triton (Robot)and at least 1000 punters all eager to sample the little show,,,then off to Aztec Events Xmas Fair at the Newark Showground. Not my most favorite venue (Its miles from anywhere)But again a workable show at the backend of the season, also indoors was a blessing weather wise.

It is becoming more obvious that Xmas is expanding into Bonfire Night with the greed of shopping,,,credit cards to the fore,,,,,with Xmas presents in mind and Carols!!!! In October,,,,,what on earth next,,,,maybe Easter Eggs on sale on Boxing Day.

Its not for me but no way will I loose out on the extra cash,,,so there we were,,,with zibbs in the Christmas Grotto (This has got to be a first???).

Next w/e in the Corporate buildings in the centre of Brentwood North London we shall do it all over again,,,,including the Carols!

Off to polish the sliegh,,,,

Ken
Sliegh, carols and a Mer?

Now that's a sight I'd love to see.
Brentwood rocked again with the best Firework display in the UK.The Bond theme had everything including rockets which were fired along the ground with huge explosions on impact.

To give entry to over 20,000 punters for a four hour show at £6 per head speakes for itself as to the quality offered by the Brentwood team. Assisted by BBC Essex Radio and the Northern Stunt Team with Aztek Events supplying two large tents full of Xmas fair,,,,plus a full sized fun fair of both Giuld and Privates in membership......not forgetting our small offering,,,,,,a lot of hard work and tired Showmen left the ground around 5pm on the Sunday evening....what a shock in store for us all travelling the M25 Anti route,,,when as a result of a multi pile up we took three hours to travel two Junctions....I tell you,,,,no way do you want this hassel after a 36hour straight through work run. The Iceing was taken right off the cake for many of us!!!

Back round the M25 tomorrow to prepare for the Colchester two day show. One Singlo (Due to very restricted space) So set and break will be a dream.

Latest News bit for us is support given to our aims by Comic Relief,,,They have just secured us for a two week run through December at the Swansea Spectacular Ice Show,,,,also we will be showing the zibbs and street style entertainment throughout all of the 2007 season under their banner.

December 23rd is the final day for our unusual zibb run this year (And what a season this has been)Shall sleep through Xmas and well into the New Year!!!

Gone again Ken.
Comic relief? Freakin' Comic relief? Good grief. First the Queen now this. I think it's time to start signing my work.

Ken you had better have that book forming nightly chapter by chapter...not to mention a phone call after all these months of relying on Café posts for my only info!!

:)
Doug
Colchester ran without problems with a single Mer.This was the first open house weekend this season with no prior ticket sales,,,,the take shot back to a normal total of £1406 for the two days.....we upped the gate to a £1 per hit just to see if it would work.
So the lesson learnt was double the gate and halve the punters,,,but you do have to work it a lot more in order to get em in.
Also of note,,,,their is far more interest and dosh at sealed shows (Tented or inside venues)Where the punter has to pay an admission charge to get in.Compared to the outside venues with an average weekend take from £400 to £1500. Strange as the logic tells you that the sealed make a charge in order for the public to go in and spend!!!!!! Would you pay to spend money????? Odd.

Next weekend once again the M25 run,this time to Southend.

Over 800 tickets pre sold with expectations of a 4000 punter turn out.
As Xmas nears,,,,the anti rises as do their Credit Card costs....Emotion in with cash and wits out,,,,what sort of people are we,,,,like taking candy from a baby.

Of note,,,,large, black ladies make a lot of noise when they get excited,,,three in the booth to see the Mer,,,,the resulting Q to see what all the fuss was about has convinced me to try and get a few on the payroll for next season!!

Gone!
English translations always cheerfully provided via PM. :)
Southend-on-Sea would be classed as a silly weekend.
In the new centre built to very modernistic design we took over the whole venue. Bearing in mind that these were indoor tennis courts it was like working inside an aircraft hanger.
The take was good for us but due to lack of security entrance ticket sales were down,,,,,,we found out why with the security not able to man all of the fire exit doors,,,,,,the little BGS were letting their mates in,,,,so for each ticket purchased, another twenty or so bodies entered free!!!

With a sealed venue and presold paper it is so easy to sit back and relax,,,but do so at your peril.
Two likely lads tried to make off with the Atomic Worm, four display glass fronted cabinets were cracked and the cash booth had the entrance charge altered from £1 to £1000 with red marker pen!!!

I was not amused.
So grabbing one of the offenders I was told by security that to take the law into my own hands was risky as I could get done for assault!!!!

No concern for the damage caused and costs to me!!!!

I am livid, Justice %%!!**

So here we are back in the workshop putting things right for next weekend.Not sorry to have left Southend to the louts I waved goodbye to the area (With two fingers) At 12pm last night.

Ken.
When I worked the Fairs I would carry a (sometimes two) Highly visible large chromed Framing Hammer(s) tucked in my belt. Framing Hammers are the kind with the sharp little points on the business end. I never had an ounce of trouble.

Maybe Ken, you should stick with the Royals and leave the low life to their own devices. Imagine...trying to cop a worm. The dregs.
Not much to report on this week,,,with a corporate showing on Saturday and private viewings at Littlecote House on the Sunday all tickets were pre paid so charity coffers are full. The challenge of the pull in, is replaced with the niceties of greeting these wealthy folk. To be truthfull these type of showings are too easy for me, the challenge of boosting the take is not there.

Utter disgust from a huge chested woman who was dripping in diamonds as her little doggie (Complete with sparkling doggie collar)Was told to leave the dog outside of the viewing area.

Her turt reply of "I will pay for the dog to come in with me"!!!! Got her, her own way and a fist full of ££££ for the charity,,,so all were happy in the end,,,,,,see we all have our price!!!!

Next week off to the home of "Harry Potter" now I have seen the film I am really looking forward to it and hope to get some good publicity out of it as well.

Wednesday will see us in Stratford-upon-Avon,Thursday Warwick Castle,Friday Corsham (The home of Pickwick) then onto Lacock Abbey.

Later!!
From the moment you enter Lacock Abbey through its Gothic archway opening up to well laid grounds and fairy tale buildings,, the feeling of being surrounded by real magic is overwhelming.
I have worked in many magical places from Windsor Castle and Stonehenge to Avebury Stones and Longleat House,,,,but for a magical experience Lacock takes the prize.
To perform and exhibit in such surroundings has the effect of humbling, it makes you realise that there is something out there, but what, something which is real magic and food for thought.To sleep in such surroundings and walk through the grounds at dead of night has the most calming effect that I have ever felt,,fear from the ghostly shadows and unusual night time sounds,,,,no,,,,but to be quiet and absorb this stately atmosphere, is to delve into the real magic of life. To imagine the Harry Potter stars were the real thing, in such a place, this would be possible.

Comeing to the end of this crazy season, this was the right place to be. We had just done Stratford then Warwick (With massive press coverage) To arrive for three days at Lacock.

All the venues were good, with huge ammounts gathered for Charity.
The zibbs belonged here in this magical Abbey, alongside of the gargols and timbered cottages which surround this NT estate. Anyone with a magical bent would feel at home.

So onward to the final bash,,,,10 days in Swansea with the Xmas Festivities, then two days in the New Forest at Exbury Gardens. that's it. Then to digress, ring old Higg!! and have a sleep.

I find it hard to believe that this journey will soon be over for me,,,dream or nightmare???? Maybe a bit of both.

On the road,,,Ken.
Hello Doug ..can you do a dark museum that has A Big Foot Toe ,Chupacabra foot ,and a Monkey paw ?
thanks ...
Uh...yes.

Kondini my friend be prepared to talk your ass off. Please.

I hope you got some images.

Press coverage?? Excuse me? What press???
The Swansea Celebrations on the harbour front were OTT with a giant Park Wheel (Three days work putting this together alone)Portable Ice Rink, good sized fun fair, craft tents, food etc, Santa Grotto, outside stages and a full centre of Swansea wooden hutted market which went from one end of the Town centre through the parade of shops and out of the other end of Town.

A clicker count put the punters at 50,000 every two days with the shows opening at 10am and close down at 11pm weather permitting.

With this going on for a six week period there was serious money to be made and spent.The cold was a killer as were the gusty wind and rain which came and went throughout the complete run.

Overall a good but tireing experience.
Over to Exbury.

Ken.
Exbury Gardens in the centre of the New Forest owned by another branch of the Rothchilds empire has now been completed with visits of singlos to Brighton and Worthing at the same time.

This completes the contracted run and what a run this has been!

With a celebration dinner of thanks booked for the new year and 24 lecture lunches arranged as a follow up this will bring me to March the start of another season.
Booked for the whole of 2007 as promo team for Comic Relief with Zibbs, the show, escapology and street entertainment, I must learn how to say no, but my nature of being a soft touch has placed me once again in the position of work, work and more work.

My resolution for the New Year will be to take time out in 2008,,,this I will and must do.

Now to concentrate on Xmas, rest up and catch up on all those calls and mail,,,once again to get used to sleeping in my own bed and knowing where I am when I wake up in the morning.

I shall post a precise here in a few weeks time and wind this thread up,,,,but right now,,,Im off for a bath and a drop of the hard stuff.

Ken (At home!!!!).
Congratulations! It couldn't happen to a more deserving person! Have a well-earned bath, and holiday, too!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Dec 23, 2006 09:11PM)
You know Ken, I would LOVE to see your version of Santa Claus, or Father Christmas or Sinterklaas or whatever.
Put yer feet up Ken, you deserve it!

Merry Xmass!

Corona.
I put part of the story with PHOTOS on my site. Check it out!
Well its all over now, just a memory with my thoughts already set toward the 2007 season.

Notes of interest to the workers would be that there are still suckers born every minet, that, give away stamps,badges,etc which read "I have seen the Strange Thing" Will more than double your take.
The more basic the show set up is, the more pull on the crowd it has.

The outside talker is nothing without the right garb.

Loop tapes on the outside and inside are a definate no no.

Simple wording with NO pics on the outside.

Logistics play the toughest part of this biz.

All people Kings, Queens, Heads of State, all creeds and nationalities everyone on this earth is open to the unusual.

Believers, non believers, experts real and pretend all fall under the spell of what the hell is it.

Your zibbs must be presented in cases worthy of showing off the "Real" exhibits !!! This plus the red table cloth, authentic gilt framed letters from those in authority such as Dr Art Faye etc.

Natural light rather than bulbs brings its own feeling to the zibbs (At dusk they take on other features).

To guard exhibits may sound obvious but to be seen to guard them adds to their value.

Never argue with a disbeliever,,,you are the judges has always been the best out and sets even the most sceptic thinking,,,,,,could they be !!!!

Rubber things in fluid filled jars are not a patch on the real Higg Zibbs.All are well known gaffs so do not mix these with real zibbs.

If you consider a run of work which involves very tight security bare in mind that this will greatly reduce your own chances at self promotion and publicity and put a complete halt to personal pics with dignatories which would have more than just increased your street cred.

If you are sponsored completely then you become the servant of the sponsors and have to devote yourself 24/7 to them,,,,you become a very small cog in a massive wheel so no room for ego here.

Lastly,,,would I do all this again,,,,,,maybe, but the chance will never come my way or anyone elses way again. So to look for the next great adventure is where Im at right now.

Last but not least, in order to do a good job you have to have the correct tools.
I have seen zibbs produced from all over the world, many I have tried but passed on.

I can honestly say that Higgs Zibbs were supreme in every way and have been viewed by the creme de la creme of the worlds society.
I will also add to this, that these zibbs have been set up and brocken down hundreds of times and traveled many, many thousands of miles by land, sea and air.
They are still in the same condition now as they were on delivery,,,what more could a showman ask for.

Thankyou Doug for your part in all of this.

Ken.

PS The zibbs were to be auctioned to make further funds for Charity, but all have been sold privately except for two (Which may have been sold today)They have gone to Showmen !!!!! Say no more.
I still have a Mer and a Chupacabra which will be touring again this year.

See you on the Tober.
Thank you Ken for the kind words. (can I have money instead?) :)

Ken hinted at a few guidlines that I came up with for my How-To Grind Show manual, which I'm proud to say he used and to his amazement they worked! There are so many 'eye openers' in the How-To that go against the grain and are opposite to traditional show thinking, I strongly advise anyone considering doing this show with my stuff not just read the How-To but stick to it. Ken proved it pays off in major ways. Get the How-To before you waste time and make mistake you can easily avoid. Ken succeeded in doing something on a scale never been done before for a couple of reasons...he had the drive, experience and talent to pull it off when the opportunity arose and he had in his hands some information that was a sea change in what had been tried before. Even he had doubts that it would work as I said it would. Ken was smart enough and trusting enough to put it in play. My How-To combo plan of ideas, psychology and chemistry of a small show has been around for a while but it took a special showman to take it to the heights that were always there to be taken.

My only problem with Mr. Kondini is he has now inseminated the UK scene with some orphaned Zibits that are now outside the 'family'...who knows who these 'showmen' are and how they will display the little dears. That's a few more shows on the lots that haven't been indoctrinated properly...and knowing Ken he probably got a lot more for them than I did from him...but I gotta love the man anyway. (I had to say that or he'd never send me the pictures!) :)

Ken...you're the best.
(Work on your English though.)

D
Settle down now Doug.
The sold zibbs have gone to showmen as objects of beauty !!!!! For their own personal viewings not for display.
Any money made on them has gone to the Charities not me grrrrr wish it had.
Up to yesterday there were two left,,a member on this forum has shown interest in these.

The best pics and camcorder tapes were taken early on in the season and due to "security" have so far not been returned.

A number of repeat royal venues have been booked for the 2007 season again but this time they will be open to the general public only.

Yes Doug my English and pc skills are poor,,,,but what with being good looking, a stud and sex god,,,,well you can`t have it all !!!!

Ken
I meant your 'American' English. It was a joke. Darn Brits...no sense of humor...