(Close Window)
Topic: Gospel magic only?
I've discussed this topic with one or two other Gospel magicians, but I wanted to get a wider range of opinions on this. Since I couldn't find another thread that covered this topic, I thought I'd post a new one:

For you who perform Gospel Magic/Illusions, do you ever perform any "secular" shows, or do you [i]only[/i] do Gospel shows?

Right now, Gospel shows make up the biggest part of what I do, but I also do community events, birthday parties, and other shows that aren't specifically Gospel in nature. Those who hire me know I do Gospel magic but sometimes they just want a "Family Friendly" show instead of one where I share the story of Christ and the Gospel message. (Interestingly, when someone asks me to do a "secular" show for a Christmas party, they've never minded me mentioning the birth of Jesus ... But I digress ...)

My question is -- should I? Or should I stick to Gospel only?
I do both "gospel" and "secular" magic, I see no problem with doing magic that doesn't talk about God, if nothing else, maybe it'll get around that you do gospel magic as well, and someone will ask about it and provide you with an opportunity to witness. But my thinking is, we don't always talk about God, think about God, and, yes, we should worship God with all that we do, but this doesn't mean ALWAYS doing gospel magic. In fact, gospel magic infers that you're performing for other christians, with secular magic, you are performing potentially for non christians, and you may even be able to witness. Just my two cents. :)
About 10% of my shows are gospel shows for churches.

The other 90% consist of regular shows for malls, festivals, special events, schools, private parties, birthdays, etc.

Yes, you can do both, and be good at both types. I think David Ginn and Duane Laflin are excellent role models in this.

- Donald

P.S. I prefer to think of my non-gospel shows as "regular", rather than "secular". For me, the chance to witness, reinforce truths, or teach through a gospel show is a "special" ministry opportunity. However, it doesn't mean that people (both audience and customers) aren't being witnessed to through a regular show. Think "lifestyle evangelism".
I do mostly secular shows but would rather do gospel shows. The secular shows help to make a living and the gospel shows feed me spritually. Personally, I'd rather do more gospel shows.
I also do 90% of regular shows and 10% of gospel shows and lately been adding more gospel effect. I do enjoy performing the gospel magic.

Maro
I do both Gospel and non-gospel magic too. I think there is no conflict about it. But I do have to choose my routines and stay away from the risque materials like the baffling bra trick which I am OK with the trick and honestly enjoy watching it performed to the right audience but to avoid conflict with sharing the good news with others so I won't do it in my shows.
Duane Laflin is an excellent teacher of Gospel Magic and witness to his faith and his DVDs are very good resources to learn about performing Gospel Magic. I also have 2 gospel magic items if you are interested you may look it up at Dock Haley's website.