(Close Window)
Topic: Personal Magic Notes
Personal Magic Notes

Whenever I learn a new trick from a DVD or pamphlet I feel it easier before I even pick up the deck of cards, ropes, etc. to make my own personal notes in my own words and put them in a binder for future reference. I even do that on the patter of a trick. I think these notes will help later on when the trick has slipped my mind so I could pick it up more quickly.

This is something I wanted to share and was wondering if others are doing this.

~ Dan
What a great idea!

I've actually been amassing quite a few new tricks, props, effects, etc, and have been wondering how to organize and remember everything that's coming in..

I think I'll make a tabbed binder of tricks, and include printed instructions, personal notes, patter ideas, a page of links to online demos, forum discussions etc.

I'd love to hear what others are doing.

-Daniel
I use two notebooks, one for all of my various notes and one for a magic journal where I record all of my progress every night and unload some thoughts. This kind of a system has really helped me.

I also have a tabbed binder of all the effects I know. Check out the book 'The Magic of Michael Ammar' for some discussion on creating such a binder.

Great idea Zazz thanks for sharing!
During I learned Magic for 39 years (mainly from reading books), I sometimes noted comments on white margin of pages. It seems that Edward Marlo did same thing. I think so as I have one book which was once owned by Marlo.

Hideo Kato
I use notebooks. they include for each effect the method and the patter I like to use. it has helped me a whole lot along the years.

-Matt
I do this, too. Gotta get my ideas down while I've still got 'em. ;)
I used to jot down notes on index cards. It was better than what I used to do (on the back of scrap pieces of paper and Post-It notes -- man, was I organized :-P) but still didn't work as well as I'd hoped, for some reason.

I have a 3-ring binder I use to keep track of other magic show information (bookings, expenses, even which props I bring to different types of shows and where to store them -- coat pocket, pants pocket, in the case, sitting out on the table, etc.) I think I'll start writing down my notes/thoughts on paper and clipping it into my notebook.

Thanks for the idea!
This has been covered several times before in the forums. An excellent book with great suggestions for organizing notes, tricks, etc. as well as practice schedules is written by a forum member Gerald Edmundson. He is "Gerald" on the forums. It is called the Ostrich Factor and available from his website: http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm
Fantastic book, a must have for any serious magician.
Another thing I do is while the DVD is playing on the computer drive I bring up Microsoft Word and type up the step by step instructions as I watch the video. I normally have to pause and rewind several times to be able to get all the information right.
I'm another write in the book person. That's why I don't collect books. I love books and USE them. One thing I always did with tough routines or sleights was to mark the book as an outline. That is, I would mark the routine into more easily attackable chunks. Learn the chunks and then put them all together. Same with a sleight like The Classic Pass which is quite easily reduced to a number of discrete parts that then can be realized as a whole later on. I am terrible at keeping notes any other way as I seem to lose the bloody things! Best,
Keeping notebooks is a great help to me. I keep a notebook of just tips and ideas for presentation and showmanship. I keep a separate notebook of tricks I have come across that I may want to learn or add to my routine. This notebook is organized by venue (close up, banquet, stage). I also keep a notebook of all the scripts for each of the effects I am able to perform in public. A final notebook as a scrapbook of press clippings, prior shows with the routine and observations I made after the show about ways to improve the tricks.
Keeping notebooks is a great help to me. I keep a notebook of just tips and ideas for presentation and showmanship. I keep a separate notebook of tricks I have come across that I may want to learn or add to my routine. This notebook is organized by venue (close up, banquet, stage). I also keep a notebook of all the scripts for each of the effects I am able to perform in public. A final notebook as a scrapbook of press clippings, prior shows with the routine and observations I made after the show about ways to improve the tricks.
Then when you get old and can't do much else, organizing your notes and passing them on to others can be your legacy. That's what I've been doing with the Wizards' Journals, putting all the stuff I used to do when I was more active down on paper... well cyber paper anyway. Not only my own notes, but my memories of others performing, like Jim Gerrish's ideas and the Wiz Kids' ideas. Then I go around and nag them to contribute to the Journal. They're magical memoires with all the boring stuff left out.
The previous post of mine in this thread is one of many cases of noting. Before I started to note in computer, I noted ideas and informations in notebook. I have written about 1500 pages. After that, I noted about 2800 tricks in computer files. Very recently, I started to take video for rather complicated handlings and paste them in html documents. The important point is that writing ignite further energy to create or gather ideas.

Hideo Kato
Write it down and keep a notebook, or two, or three. I also photocopy all ot the instruction pages that come with the tricks I buy, and keep them in the notebooks, so I can file the originals and keep them safe. I even (should I admit this?) occasionally copy out of the books in my magic library, for my own personal use, and mark up the copies rather than mark up the book. Before someone jumps all over me about ethics, these copies will NEVER be shared with anyone else.

I have also found it helpful to make a spreadsheet of all of the tricks I own, and/or know how to perform. This includes the props necessary, the type of venue they fit, ancillary props, etc. Whatever might be helpful when planning and packing for a show.
My grandfather did just that and now I have thousands of pages of his notes. Many of them are interesting to me, but not to another magician - unless YOU would like to hear about how cold it is in up-state New York in January.

I do have thousands of pages of tricks, notes from conversations with some of the most famous magicians of the last century and a whole bunch that my grandfather thought would be famous be never became so.

I am eternally grateful to him for every word that he wrote. If you want it to be a legacy my advice to you is to keep them long hand where you can draw sketches. That's what he did.