(Close Window)
Topic: J B Bobo in action
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/COIN_MAGIC.23/Coin_Classics_Volume_1.842.html
That was great. Thanks for the link.
Any idea what date that is?
Really great to watch but I'm sure we're all struck by how simple the methods are. He doesn't even do one of the ditches very fluidly. I guess the bar is being raised all the time.
No idea but good to watch
Rjenkins,

I'm sorry you didn't like what you saw. I really enjoyed his demonstration of some of the harder to follow vanishes from the book, especially seeing The Bobo Vanish in action.

Too bad they didn't show the bonus vanish after the explanation that followed the clip you just saw. I use that vanish with jumbo coins all the time.

The entire video is terrific. Some of my favorites are David Acers Money talks routine, John Carney's Logical Bill routine, Eugene Burger's excellent coins thru table routine, the late Don Alan's presentation for the cigarette thru quarter, and the performance segment of Gary Kurtz' Full Frontal Assault.

I also picked up a couple of cool ideas from a vanish the late Jay Marshall put on the video.

Well worth owning......
Hey Eric, I agree, that was just wonderful. I watched it over and over again, and Bobo's moves, even at his advanced age then, were still really good. Every vanish was amazing, and it was great to see him do his namesake, "The Bobo Vanish." Boy, that thing is beautiful when you get down like that. His misdirection was sharp and he was totally in control. He could've backed an elephant up in that room and that guy wouldn't have seen it...:D I really enjoyed the 3rd Vanish, really nice moves there. It's great to see this guy in person, just a wonderful clip of a an amazing man. Thanks boydy for posting this. ;) -MB
Marion,

If you liked what you saw, do yourself a favor and pick up the DVD. Like Eric said, it's got all kinds of great WORKABLE coin and bill magic on it, and should be part of every serious coin worker's collection.

- Rob
Man this place IS brutal. Even Bobo himself gets called out for choppy ditches and simple methods. LOL.

Classic.
If I'm that smooth when I'm that age I'll be dancing. In fact, if I'm still alive when I'm that age I'll be happy.

Like the wise man said, never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in their shoes because by then you have a mile headstart and they're running barefoot (You've got their shoes).
Godhandz - I liked it a lot (as I said) but the truth is there are plenty of people here who can do the moves better. And better moves. "Good for his age" is a kind of back-handed compliment!
Rjenkins,

My apologies if I misinterpreted your earlier post. It seemed as if you were saying the video was cool, you just thought other magicians could perform what was demonstrated better. My post simply was saying that I thought it was cool to see an actual video record of the moves performed by their originator, since he can't perform them for us now.
I've had this video for years and agree, it's incredible and worth every penny just to see Bobo perform. I have a feeling that if you were sitting in the chair in front of him, you wouldn't think the moves are very transparent. He smoked the guy for sure (along with me, especially on the sucker vanish).

If you like this one, pick up Volume 23 with his dice stuff on it as well. Same coin stuff, plus some, and it also has him doing his entire kids show. First and foremost, Bobo was a masterful children's entertainer with over 13,000 shows under his belt. That part is filmed in front of about 50-75 3rd and 4th graders. The other items on it are :

Bobo with Dice (includes his revolutionary color changing dice routine)
Chinese Money
Tenkai Pennies
Coin Vanishes (including sleeving, pocketing, and other methods)
Traveling Quarters

Great bit of history and if you're into coin magic. I believe everything on the video this clip is from, is on the one I mentioned. So, if you want all Bobo, I think you might be able to get just this one. I'll have to double check that, but I think it's correct.
I've got to say; that was a very childish remark. Where is the respect for the man who literally "wrote the book" on coin magic. I thought he was flawless. Who else in coin magic has had 1/10 the impact that Bobo has?

Ben S
That was amazing. Plus I can finally do the Bobo Vanish after seeing it in action one time. I was having trouble pulling this off. It's funny how watching the master do it once can make all the pieces fall into place!

I thought he was great. Even though I know the method to these vanishes they still got me first time! Great stuff.
What a great treat! I've never seen Bobo before and he was great! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

-Corey
Go buy the video!!!!!
Thanks for the post .... Nice coin work .... Classic !
There is another DVD on Bobo

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/DVDS.22/Bobo_DVD__The_Greater_Magic_Series_.1655.html

Hope this helps

Best wishes and good luck with your magic!
Dominic Reyes
Bobo looked great. I might have to buy this video now.

Mike
Bobo's is good, but a bit too cryptic for me. I'm sure there's ton of great and wonderful techniques there, but for the most part, it is very hard (for me) to learn form such an old text.

I remember when I first got the book, I read the sucker vanish and concluded you had to be a sucker to fall for it. It seemed way too transparent and I didn't think it would fool a fly.

I just saw the video and I was fooled by that vanish! It turns out I had completely misinterpreted the vanish in the book. After seeing the video and following along wiht the text, I finally understood it and now this is one of my favorite vanishes!

I wonder if there's ever gogin to be a bobo's companion DVD like they just did with royal road? I would definitely buy it in a hurry.
I knew Bobo and he showed me some of the most amazing effects I have ever seen in magic....and I have seen just about all of the legends you could name. It is true that many sleights have become more sophisticated since Bobo's day, but I have yet to see any of the newer hip magicians fool me the way Bobo did. I first saw Bobo in about 1952 and the last time I saw him was in the late 1970's. He was very, very good.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
[quote]
On 2006-04-12 21:21, BenSalinas wrote:
I've got to say; that was a very childish remark. Where is the respect for the man who literally "wrote the book" on coin magic. I thought he was flawless. Who else in coin magic has had 1/10 the impact that Bobo has?

Ben S
[/quote]

Ben, my point is quite serious, adult and not in the least disrespectful. There are two points. First, there are many fields where the best of today's performers could easily whip the best of yesterday's. Look at athletics: the fact that many runners have run a four minute mile doesn't lessen anyone's respect for Roger Bannister who did it first. But the bar does get higher, and I the Bobo video made me wonder whether this is true for magic. In other fields (eg classical music) yesterday's genius becomes today's technical exercise, but you still respect the originators.

The second is that to see someone perform in old age can be a slightly bittersweet experience: I'm thinking of classical musicians, or dancers. The greatness is still there but sometimes the execution is not flawless.
Can someone put this video on like youtube or something cause I don't have real player cause I don't like it. it messes with all my other videos
Great video. Thanks for sharing.
All right for anyone else that dosnt have Real Player I put the video on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3ozbuRNiQ&search=Bobo
Message: Posted by: Christian Illusionist (Apr 15, 2006 10:20PM)
[quote]
On 2006-04-13 21:41, Noel D wrote:

I wonder if there's ever gogin to be a bobo's companion DVD like they just did with royal road? I would definitely buy it in a hurry.

[/quote]

How I wish they would!

To the poster: Thankyou very much for adding that video. I always enjoy seeing the greats in action.
I will definetly get the video.
I have the book of course but I never saw bobo in action.
I really enjoyed the clip.

-Matt
Wow. That was cool in a very personal way. Almost brought a tear to the eye. Bravo, and thanks for posting the link.
Cheers, all!
This link was excellent. It shows us a person who has done so much for our art that most us have never met, it at least gives us a little peak at the person whose name we all know.