(Close Window)
Topic: Brain Flossing
The other day I tried to do Brain Flossing, (string or other object (I used a condom) in the nose and out the mouth) and it all went O.K. But it hurt A LOT after I pulled it through. I think it might just be the type of condom I used, because I do the blockhead with a 5 incher, and there's never a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on doing this.
Thanks in advance
-Kris
:bat:
I guess the lubricant on a condom might irritate your nasal passage. I've never had a problem though. When I learned this I first used a qualtex 260 balloon. String is more likely to hurt because of the rough surface.

Cheers

ML
Why does there seem to be a joke there?
[quote]
On 2002-12-03 05:16, Missing_Link wrote:
I guess the lubricant on a condom might irritate your nasal passage. I've never had a problem though. When I learned this I first used a qualtex 260 balloon. String is more likely to hurt because of the rough surface.

Cheers

ML
[/quote]
ML is right on! Another thing is the ring on the comdom. 260 balloons have a slight coating of zinc stearate and this might also irritate you. Just wet the balloon with saliva to remove the powder.
Slim Price
Thanks guys, I'm off to get some balloons

-Kris
I could never picture someone doing that with a condom
WOW! Sell the pics to Maxim or Playboy...
That reminds me, I saw a pic of Lizardman in this month's Maxim.. I don't know why, but I think it's interesting...
-Kris

I've used qualatex and never had a problem - apart from an initial gag when it went too far!

Tim
I do this all the time with Qualatex balloons. Once you do it a few times, your gag reflex doesn't trigger anymore. It is just a matter of repetition.

I've never done it with a condom (just too many subliminals at work there.)

I have also taken the arm of somebody's glasses and put them up my nose. You should see the person freak out!! LOL
I always used thick nylon string. The end was coated with wax to keep it stiff and then I sucked it into my nose, I used my tongue and teeth to pull it in my mouth and the audience saw it crawl up into my nose. I then held the nose end and blew the rest out of my mouth. I also licked it first so it was moist. I performed it on MTV half hour comedy hour in the early nineties with Chris Elliot as the host so it's available live from their archives. I was famous for this effect in comedy clubs for years and I did it before I ever saw anyone else do it. I called it nose floss
Just to spoil your day <G> in India, this , and swallowing yards of ribbon are pretty ordinary hygenic practices. (For hundreds of years.)
That's why I never performed comedy in India:)
I actually first got the idea from "Oriental Conjuring and Magic" so I am VERY familiar with it's origins. I simply had never seen it done in a stage presentation. When I look at the first time I did it for T.V., it was Showtime Comedy Club Network in 1990 so it predates Jim Rose Sideshow from what I can tell. Had others done it "mainstream" before? I don't know. I'm talking only about comedy clubs in the U.S.( historical side note,) the first time I did it live was in the apt. of Loren Christopher Michaels. He thought I was weird...........whats new?
Tanit Ikao, the "Animal Hypnotist" used to do this schtick with a small SNAKE.

Really strong stuff, that. And no harm to the little critter, either.

Just an FYI,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Hi,

I use the balloons but wash them before use. A precaution was suggested to me many years ago by a friend of Fred Kaps. The balloons are coated with a powder to prolong their lifespan and through constant use in performance could damage your insides, this was a factor attributed to Kaps death (according to rumour).

But I don't take chances and the moist balloons go up the nose and out the mouth very easy anyway. Also, Rag Worms work a treat (they seem to know their own way) but this looks real gross!!! That's why I love doing it.
Are rag worms living things or objects? I have never heard of this term before. Thanks.
Hi,

Yes rag worms wiggle a lot, found on the sand when the tide goes out here in the UK and used as a bait for the local fishermen, usually around seven to eight inches in length with normal worm colouring and feel.
How cool, I have never seen someone put something alive up their nose (I need to get out more I guess). Now time for a "not in the know question." Do you somehow close off your throat or do you just run the risk of a worm snack every time you do this?
OK, no problem. The worms are long enough to enter the nose (sniff them up). You can grab the other end (at the back of the throat). With the other hand, so at no time is the worm left in a position to do as it likes, you have control at either or both ends, so to speak.

Hope this makes things clear...Happy worm flossing to you all. Ugh and to think they pay me for doing this!!
OK some questions please:

When people talk of putting or sniffing things up their nose are they talking about the same way you do the Human Block Head? Once for fun I put a tubing in this way just to see what would happen (this was before my Magic Café days and I couldn't just ask people questions like these).

I remember it did coil down in my mouth. Is this the start to Brain Flossing? Please feel free to PM if you don't want to answer here about it. Thanks.
No the Blockhead uses the route over the mouth (at right angles to the nasal passage). The floss goes up the nose perpendicular then down to the back of the throat then coughed forward and out of the mouth. I don't think that you can floss via the Blockhead route. I may be wrong but never performed it that way OK.
Do some research. It's a little hard to sort through a lot of URLs but you can find the path. (Zen?) <G> Brain Flossing is exactly the same as Blockhead, but with a soft material (yarn, balloon, snake) that will bend down into the glottal passage to where you can reach into your mouth and pull out the end.

I should have mentioned where to start a search:

<anatomy inferior turbinates saggital>
I have pretty much got control over the gag reflex now (using Qualatext balloons) but I find that the sensation of the balloon at the back of the mouth causes me to salivate (A LOT!). Does anyone else get this and will it pass with practice?

Bill
I have not found this happening myself, I should think that practice would cure it.
If I try this with a noodle would it be easy? I have most control over my gag reflex. I can shove two fingers down my throat, as well as spoon handle (holding tightly). My eyes water a little but that's it. Can someone refer me somewhere to learn this here or in a PM? Thanks. :)
I might sound old fashioned; would anyone tell me why someone would actually do stuff like this?

Is it for fun?
Entertainment?

The concept makes me wonder :bigdance:
Sven
Self achievement, for entertainment, not for fun...at least for me. Most of sideshow acts can get you seriously injured or even killed so you take every precaution to be safe and never take it lightly no matter how many times you have done it.
MONEY!
Ha ha ha!

I tried that with a condom once as well. Never again. It gave me the most severe headache for about an hour.

I'm gonna stick to my cups and balls...after a couple of times your nostrils get used to the tickle of the balls!!! :stuckinbag:
I have been working on this with an animal balloon and some advice from Slim. I have to overcome that darn gag reflex...practice, practice.
:wow: :wow: :wow:

First of all, I thought the condoms were made for other use, not for putting them in my nose.

Second, reading all your posts, reminds me the reason why I love cardmagic. :bg:

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero :bikes:
Can anyone do the brain flossing or only ;) GIFTED :D people. I don't want to try it and end up going to hospital.
Best regards, Tom
:bunny2:
Only very gifted people!!!!!!!!
Providing you aren't putting anything rigid up there enough to puncture into your brain you should be safe sticking pliable and lubricated things up your nose m.s. Just make sure it's long enough to keep hold of one end so that you can extract it if you can't get it all the way through. Medics put adjuncts through peoples noses all the time to be able to ventilate someone if there are difficulties with the mouth.

Of course... I'm not one to do this effect. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.