(Close Window)
Topic: What to do if you get busted.
I perform the "Streets" (hallway in-between classes) of my school. Every body loves it but there are few people that are constantly trying to figure out my secrets. I am finding it very hard to perform with these. Especially when they get physical and grab my hands while trying to perform for other people who love what I do. I cannot use my raven any more because, well I go to a small private school and the word spreads so my tricks are constantly being foiled. What should I do if I do get caught performing and need to say something...

Also, I can't stand people get cocky and before they even now what you are doing they say "Pull your sleeves up first." Well the trick is in my sleeve so I can't.

I am just really stumped. Most people love what I do here but there are those few. I don’t want to quit performing. Any advice? This is REALLY getting me down.

Thanx and Merry Christmas
:xmas:
Do a trick that happens in their hands like the 2 card Monte (this will make them look stupid) but they will also be amazed. This should then stop them from questioning your tricks. Even better, do the coin bite (sold at ellusionist) with "someone else’s coin"
They will be like

:wow:
Spoiled brats are everywhere, not just in your school, but nonetheless, they have no respect for others and only want the focus to be on themselves.

They simply need to be taught what is acceptable and what is not.

I use peer pressure on them.

"If you keep grabbing these things, then you are ruining it for everyone else because I will simply not perform anymore if you can't just enjoy the effects like everyone else."

"If you want to know how to do, go buy the effects, and practice them, and then I will come around and grab them from you! How will you like that?"

"If you would like to perform for these people, then go ahead. But if all you can do is interrupt me, and grab at things that you don't understand, it sure seems rude for you to interrupt everyone else's enjoyment."

Or make a plea to the onlookers, saying, "I am sorry that I can't continue, but this kind of interruption takes too much away from the enjoyment that I was hoping to present."

I recently had a college student friend grab at my Hopping Half coins as I displayed them. I simply took my hand back quickly and said I am sorry that you did that because now, I cannot continue. She apologized, as the others in the group kept asking me to show them more, and I said, "I am sorry, I cannot." Finally, she promised to keep her hands away, and I relented - and watched her out of the corner of my eye...

But you can't put enough pressure on them alone. Get the other members of the audience, no matter how few, to pressure them.

BroDavid
Mmm. Tricky question, but I'm sure if everyone gets their heads together some good advice will come through. Here're my 2 cents.

To the ones that are, as you say, "cocky," and trying to ruin your performance, you will always get that. It's just part of life. Now, to try and eliminate these little sods, I'd say perform something that doesn't recquire a gimmick. It's hard to suggest what, as I don't really know what style of effects you go for, but maybe perform a card force and present a simple mind reading effect. You will be left clean, as once the card is forced, the spec can hold the deck, leaving you free to be examined to their heart's content!

Persevere and good luck.
This happens to me all the time when I am practicing in front of family and friends. The best thing to do is exactly what broDavid has said. Tell them you won't continue and surely other people will come to your defense.
Hey,

You don't need sleeves for the Raven. This is a concept many magicians fail to see. The Raven can be connected anywhere. You go to a private school which means you have uniform? right? Well, hook the Raven somewhere else (pm me) and do the Raven in long sleeves. If they say take your coat off, do it. Then do the trick again in short sleeves. IT WILL BLOW THEIR MIND'S AND SHUT THEM UP and that's because Stone Cold said so.
Learn sleights that go unnoticed...one-hand top-palm...or tricks that mess with the spectator if they try to anticipate.

"That's It" by Eddie Fechter

By the way, the "streets" you perform on are probably the worst, in terms of manners, you will ever find.

Keep the effects short and surprising and don't do them until you know you won't get caught.

Work on your top change. Smart-alecks love attention and will take it away from you. You can use it to your advantage and do a top change while they're mouthing off.

They won't know it, but they will be helping you do misdirection.

Don't try to make fun of anyone though. Smart-alecks love to make fun of other smart-alecks. Once you fool them badly, they will be making fun of each other and you'll be getting all the babes.
By selecting your school hallway as the venue in which you perform, you are already putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

I'm not saying you should quit performing. But I will suggest that you might choose a different time. Before and after school, maybe during lunch.

Also, only perform now and then...not every day, all the time. I think that if they have the expectation that "every time I walk by there, that kid is doing a trick" then it's much easier to a) ignore or b) sabotage. You become a very easy target.

If your performance is REQUESTED, then you are in a whole different ballpark.

(Shouldn't you be getting on to your next class, too?)

Best,
JMT
Haha. My school is very different. I don't have a uniform. I have 20 minutes inbetween classes so we all sit down in the sanctuary of the church and just hang out. But I dont perform every day. In fact, I hadn't had any new tricks in almost to weeks till Saturday when I received my Raven. I practiced all Saturday and Sunday and was ready by Monday. I performed, then the guy reached out and grabbed my hand. I perform the Raven in a long sleeve sweater and I don't use a break because its position afterwards allows me to roll up my sleeves.

I have a study hall and that is when I use the computers during the day. I am almost always on here. But I posted this email like 2 hours after it happened. I only perform when ask except when I tell my friends I have a new trick. They ask me to and I bring it to school the next day.
Well, if you really wanna get back at such people, do a watch steal. =) They really have nothing to say after you dangle that watch over their heads. I've done it before when they "can see whatever I'm doing."
Mental tricks are always a good way to throw a change up, if you know what I mean.
Meeting force with like force never seems to lead to anything worthwhile. (I relearned this recently myself.) Instead of trying to put the hecklers in their "place", try winning them to your side. Show them a trick where they become the star for a moment. A thumbnail sketch: Flash a card to them as you raise your eyebrows, then turn to someone else and force the card on them. Ask the heckler what the card was, he names it and feels the glow of the spotlight. If you do something like that, they really will never bother you again, in fact, they'll be your biggest fan.
Gregory Wilson told me something really interesting when I met him at a lecture. He said that he does not immediately honor pressured requests for magic. (Odd, since he's the "On The Spot" guy, but you'll understand in a minute).

If someone gives the "Group Petition" to perform, Gregory politely brushes off the request in order to build a more special moment. He says that magicians who jump as soon as they are told too are the equivalent of a performing chimpanzee--and think about about how silly and exploited they've become.

If you were to, say, deprive those of their instant gratification, and make [i]them[/i] beg for the moment, then you are in greater control of the moment--and have the moral high ground to discontinue the performance in the event that knuckle-draggers enter the fray.

So make them ask twice, if not three times, before consenting. They'll be much less likely to be invasive and rude.

As soon as we feel that our art is worthy of decent patrons, so to speak, we can hold our heads higher. And as soon as I realized that while magic requires spectators--it does not in any way need [i]all[/i] of them, I became a much happier guy.

I hope this helps,

Ron
Leipzig was right! :)

JMT
Twenty minutes between classes? :wow: That's just outrageous! When you decide to perform a trick in between classes (Twenty minutes... :mad: pfft..) you may just want to invite a group of carefully selected friends to a place in the sanctuary away from other kids.

I still can't get over the twenty minutes between classes!
This has happened to me before. That is why I rely on normal card tricks with sleights. With 20 minutes :wow: I could put on a little close-up show. Anyway, don't worry. I tell the people before I start that if they want to figure out the tricks do so. Just keep it quiet and don't ruin it for other people. I don't perform real magic (well yes I do, I use lots of Knepper stuff) but this is how it would look. Feel free to talk to me about the tricks after I am finished doing them (privately).

Thanks, hope this helps
Thanks for all the help you have provided. I really look forward to trying these new tips that you all have suggested.

Yeah, I know...20 Minutes :love: I love my school :D
At one time I used to perform at school. I would do it in an empty classroom and have a desk in between me and them. This stopped them grabbing! ;)
Do the torn and restored napkin, the version where it looks like you're teaching them but in the end it is actually restored.
Interesting...make'm beg for it. Haha. Maybe it's my youth or that I'm still new to having killer routines, but I simply love performing and generally am the one asking them if they'd like to see a trick. Hrmm...maybe some more self restraint is in order. Haha or maybe I'll just let myself be a chimp for a bit. Besides, who doesn't love chimps?

~Spiff
Hello everyone,

Here is what I say if they want to see something or ask me to do something I say,
"Thank you for asking, but no."
or

"Well of course not, but thank you for asking."

These I find to shut them up quickly and kindly, and it also is confusing to them.

Brad
Grab them by the &*^^% and say, "How do you like it when I grab your props?"

vinnie
:bikes: :bluebikes:
Good lord! With 20 minutes a bit of skill and some effort you could pull in a small tip, run a show and pass the hat.

Or cram for that biology exam.
*Wonders what his college's policy on busking is.*
When I get my skill up to par, I should probably go straight to the president of the school. ;)
LOL Vinnie! This is tough Daniel! I first of all would go for the effects that leave you completely clean! So if they grab your hands...YOU'RE GOOD! Their are so many Astonishing effects that leave you clean, so they won't give you scuff about it! Have fun!
I had to struggle through the exact same thing when I was performing for friends and relatives. I noticed that strangers RARELY ever try to mess things up (except when they are drunk).

The reason for this is that the people you are performing for are people who "know" you. There is an old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt." When people "know" you, they feel more comfortable heckling and grabbing because after all they know you and you are the guy that they know.

When they are fooled, they immediately go into this "who do you think you are?" attitude. They won't accept being fooled by you. When a stranger fools them, then they immediately go into this "that guy is awesome!" attitude because they don't mind being fooled by "someone who is awesome."

Don't stop performing. You will find out that when you perform for strangers, there will be stronger reactions and less ****. :)
Check out Brad Burts site, he offers magic tips...in one lesson, he taught how to control such things from happening...one is to control the space between you and the crowd and to move the people around in pretense that you are making it possible for everyone to see but in truth moving the trouble makers away at a tough position or far enough for you to react in time. You can use any excuse to move people around...I also do tricks for colleagues. I stop doing magic for those who are out to find the secrets rather than enjoy the tricks...when they see me do tricks for others they can only watch from a distance and comment from afar since they are not invited ...hope it helps
Sometimes you're just going to run into people who are bound and determined to cross that line between 'enjoying the show' and 'being an obnoxious jerk demonstrating how cool they are.

In my case, I have a 'special' trick lined up in my act for such people. A variation on the so-old-it-has-hair-on-it jacket rope escape, and for some reason once the Clever Kid is wearing the Coat of Loki (especially since I build it up as being something for someone devious, tricky, deceitful, etc) and has 30' of rope tied around 'em, pinning their elbows to their sides... well, one of two things *can* happen, and so far the good one has - they go with it. They're getting the attention they so desperately desire *and* wind up as the good-natured butt of more than a few 'if this doesn't work... I think we'll need a cleanup on aisle six' style jokes.

Hang in there
There's an old saying that has some relevance to the friends vs strangers scenario: "a prophet is never recognised in his home town"
I don't like to be mean to people but if they truly are just standing there to try to mess me up then I will openly tell the rest of the audience that I will not continue till the person either leaves or promises to shut up and play nice. I don't even ask the person, I just tell the rest of the crowd. By doing this I get an enormous amount of peer pressure focused on the person to cooperate.

With that said I no longer perform in schools very often, it just isn't worth it.
As stated before, I would just do tricks with a single normal pack of cards that require no set-up, angle proof, and end clean.

If you search around you will find tricks like this and always keep them with you.

I Love Eddie Fechter's "Thats It" It is one of my strongest effects because of the presentation I use.
Try everything here first and if you are still having problems you can resort to a card trick by the late great Frank Shields:

Make sure there is a big crowd - then ask the pest to name any card in the deck - tell him that by riffling the cards you can cause the card he named to leave the deck and appear in - the 2nd urinal from the end in the boys lavatory!

He'll doubt it, but you refuse to go with him for fear that he'll accuse you of switching cards - insist that he retrieve the card himself.

When he goes in to get the card you have previously planted FACE DOWN, tell everyone that you put one card (the wrong one) in the urinal face down and then used the urinal!

When he comes out with the card held triumphantly overhead, proclaiming that you failed, the rest of the crew will have a good laugh at his expense - and he should leave you alone...

Or maybe not...

Best, PSC
Daniel... you said you had the Raven for a couple of days then used it?

Unless you are a raving genius I cannot see how you could be anywhere near competant with it in that short a time.

Maybe in a couple of months?

Maybe your work reeks of "let me see" and they grab... if you learn audience management you will find that you will not have that trouble.

If you are entertaining and fun to watch you should have very little of that kind of a problem.

Just my 2 centavos worth... :comply:

Chosse... hahaha Frank also had a great bit when a customer wanted to do a card trick.

He would answer with, "OK, but wait a second, the cards are dirty, let me clean them for you." He would then dunk the deck into the soapy water behind the bar and wipe 'em off a little with a dirty towel and then hand the deck to the jerk. :rotf:
The problem is people are too familiar with you. It's a common theme when performing for friends and family. If some people are being jerks stop the show until they leave. If the rest of your audience likes the show there will be pressure for them to leave or shut up!

The Mark Wilson advice also sounds great!

Once when I did a card trick for a guy I lifted a third of the deck and told him to put his card on top of the remainder of the deck. He tried to poke it ionto the middle and I quickly said, "No, I'd like this to work." I conceded that he 'got' me but I also got a good laugh! After he finished laughing he obeyed my instructions and enjoyed the trick!
I will now try to use all my magical powers to summon Steve Brooks himself from cyberspace. I know he has excellent advice about crowd control and audience management.

...calling Steve Brooks...

alleycat :kitty:
I felt this incredible urge to come to this forum. ;)

Chosse, you're too funny. :lol:

[b]Daniel Hunley[/b] said; "In fact, I hadn't had any new tricks in almost to weeks till Saturday when I received my Raven. I practiced all Saturday and Sunday and was ready by Monday. I performed, then the guy reached out and grabbed my hand"

I have to agree with Pete here, what were you thinking? You practiced an effect for two days and then went into a hostile environment to boot? You're kidding, right?

Working large crowds successfully requires not only good audience management (You haven't been around long enough for that), but good magical skills as well (You haven't practiced long enough). Further, there are other areas in your presentation you need to comprehend, before even trying to understand your spectators.

My advice would be to stop performing in a place where someone with your skill level doesn't stand a chance.

Learn the effect, then learn your own limitations and weaknesses. Armed with that knowledege can give you the ability to be several steps ahead of the crowd.

Having said all that, start studying people in general. Go to social events (Fairs, picnics, the movies, etc) and observe how people react in different situations.
You will notice after a while that sometimes the smallest things can change how a crowd will respond, good or bad.

Then again, if you're a really fast runner (or hold a Black Belt in Karate) you can always try what Mr. Chosse suggested. :bwink:

Wishing you the best...
[quote]
On 2003-04-08 18:37, Pete Biro wrote:
Daniel... you said you had the Raven for a couple of days then used it?

Unless you are a raving genius I cannot see how you could be anywhere near competant with it in that short a time.

[/quote]

I know, I know.... I was an idiot... Just stop the ridicule :bawl: :lol: I posted this on December 3rd. LONG time ago.... I know understand that it is practice... I NEVER do that anymore... I now understand :) (Finally). Trust me if you see ANY posts by me, look at the date.. If it is BEFORE Febuary, please forgive my ignorance :)

Thanks for the advice anyway :)
Hi Daniel,

This kind of thing is going to happen -- get used to it. I don't recomend the "guilt approach" that was recommended earlier in the thread. There are two skills you need to learn:

1) Turn off your hearing aid.

3) Command.

"Turning off your hearing aid" is a metaphor that comes from Darwin Ortiz. The idea is that when somebody starts ordering you around, telling you to "roll up your sleeves" you just don't listen. Keep talking. Eventually they will realize that you are talking right over them and they will shut up. Its not as simple as it sounds, its an acquired skill. By acknowleging them AT ALL you are feeding into it. Remember, you do not take orders from your audience. You are in control. They are in YOUR HOUSE.

THese guys don't see that what they are doing is wrong. They are just reacting to being fooled. Its up to you to set them on the straight and narrow.

COMMAND. When somebody grabs at your props, say "don't touch" and MEAN IT. Don't be angry or defensive...that will just encourage them. Use the same tone that a cop does when he says, "Would you please step outside of the vehicle, sir". Polite, level, but with the ABSOLUTE EXCPECTATION that you will be OBEYED.

Again, this is an acquired skill that comes with practice and experience. Its an absolute requirement for working on the street.

One thing that I find helps a lot is to carry a BIG STICK. seriously. This is a tip that I got from Whit Hayden. I have a magic wand that I made from a 1 1/4 inch dowell. There's some kind of primal reaction that a guy with a stick is supposed to be obeyed...like Jerry Springer with his microphone. I don't use it threateningly, but if somebody is out of line, I can point it at him and tell him to shut up. It helps.

Daniel, I APPLAUD you for continuing to take on this difficult venue. What you're learning now will be useful to you for a lifetime.
What you can do is perform for one person at a time. That way, if you screw up, you only mess up for one person and at the same time, get some feedback from the reaction. When it looks good for one person, show to two, then work your way from there.
What I do is I have a couple of friends of mine that have very keen eyes, and they are VERY good at figuring out magic tricks. The deal I have with them is that they don't reveal my tricks to anyone, and I don't perform a trick in public until I can do the trick and even if they know how it is done, they can't see me do it.

Example: My sponge bunnies routine. I would practice my sleights, and when my friend came over, and I did the routine to him, he would literally go, "I saw the fake pass" or "Your hand looks really awkward there" etc. etc. And I didn't perform the effect in a real show, till I could do the whole routine without him being able to see anything. The last time I did it to him, I did a steal from a hidden pocket that he wasn't expecting, and when I opened my hand, and he was expecting it to be empty, and there was suddenly a whole bunch of rabbits in my hand, he looked at me and said, "You're ready to perform this, because I have no idea how in the hell you did that?"

It's always good to have one person that you can trust to not spoil the tricks for you, and at the same time can give you real feedback as to how well you are performing them.

Jeff
I go to a small private school too, and I have found for those that think they know my magic, to not do it any where near them, if I see them coming, I move on. Plus angles is a big thing, and I do no tricks that require them, maybe you Good luck.
Telling the crowd you’re going to stop because of some heckler in the crowd is like a boy with a ball saying he’s taking it home because no one will let him play. It seems childish to me. I always find it more challenging and rewarding to use their behavior in the act. The first trick I learned that does this was Victor Edward’s “11 card trick.” The trick requires 11 cards, and every time the spectator gives you 11 cards you end up getting only 10 cards. Of course, the fact that the spectator can’t give you 11 cards is the trick itself. Gene Gordon took this principle and used dollar bills instead in a trick called “Dizzy Dollars.” The message of these effects is that the audience needs to participate or there is no magic, only a trick. I think Gene Gordon said it best when he said, “Finally, remember that the presentation of your trick or illusion must include audience reaction. You must work with the audience, not just for the audience. ... This is the magic that becomes real for us on both sides of the footlights.”

-Ron
Take a step away and look at your work from a different angle. Maybe you need to try these tricks on strangers first to get the bugs out then only do it for your friends when you can blow them away.
Many people are smarter then we think...magnets are in everyones life more now then in the past.
I only use this if the person is a real know it all, and I think they can take a joke and laugh at themselves, but I use the "Pea Can" on them. Everyone else gets a real kick out of the fact that the know it all is now the victim, and should now know how it feels to be busted. :rotf:
A drop of coffee in the water, can give it the one, two punch. Be careful with the Pea can unless your self defense skills are above average. Last October I saw a small fight provoked with one. (not me)
Zack's post above was excellent. Not only would his suggestions work as a performer but also dealing with people in everyday situations. I particularly liked these suggestions:

[quote]
COMMAND. When somebody grabs at your props, say "don't touch" and MEAN IT. Don't be angry or defensive...that will just encourage them. Use the same tone that a cop does when he says, "Would you please step outside of the vehicle, sir". Polite, level, but with the ABSOLUTE EXCPECTATION that you will be OBEYED.

One thing that I find helps a lot is to carry a BIG STICK. This is a tip that I got from Whit Hayden. I have a magic wand that I made from a 1 1/4 inch dowell. There's some kind of primal reaction that a guy with a stick is supposed to be obeyed...I don't use it threateningly, but if somebody is out of line, I can point it at him and tell him to shut up. [/quote]

Good stuff Zack - Thanks!
Daniel
Here is what I do in the situation you described (spectators requesting you do certain things).

Step 1……. first agree with them say “sure I will be glad to do that” that ends the argument because you agree…..

Step 2……you say…normally when I do this my way I do not charge for the entertainment…….most people who request a private show expect to and do pay me well for their request……would you like the$50 show or the $100. show?...........No?.......OK…….I’ll just go on then……..Oh, if you change your mind again ...Just wave the money in the air…….and you can stop winking at me.

This is just an example to get you started thinking……Good luck.
………………..Jesse
I just try to ignore them. My audience comes to my defense to on ocassion. Another thing you can do is like people have said before, do tricks in which you don't need gimmicks.

The Darwin Ortiz advice was excellent. Another thing you can do is if you know a really good sucker effect, do it on that person. Sometimes if I'm using an ungimmicked prop and I'm certain the person has no idea how something is done, I'll say "cool you know how its done? Okay here you go (hand them your props) I'd love for you to show everyone here your awesome magical skill".

I'm telling you, they'll make themselves look foolish trying to figure it out, and you get good comedic relief to boot. But really, always try to ignore them first. :) :bluebikes:
I am not so confident that making a fool of any audience member is a good idea. Making a fool of oneself should be a solo activity.
For the grabbers, be quicker than they are. No joke, but a discreet body turn that takes the prop out of reach is an excellent method of avoiding grabby hands.

Simply turn to someone else and ask something like "Did you see the card?"

A wand grabber is fun - all sorts of lines possible - some good, some gross: "Do I grab YOUR wand when you're working with it?" "STOP!! The Safety's OFF!! You almost turned Sally, here, into a newt - and that takes some getting over, believe me!" Or, "Don't touch that! You don't know WHERE it's been!"

For the guy who keeps saying "I know how you do that," try these: "Care to demonstrate? I thought not, us magicians have to keep OUR secrets, right?" Or, "Don't tell them - SELL it to them..." if they persist, "later," if they keep going, "when I'm gone," if they keep going, "you'll make more money that way, trust me!"

Never duel with the spectators. It's not worth it. But bantering and playing with them in a spirit of fun (without POKING FUN) is a great way to make new friends.

Just a few lines from a guy who's still pretty new at this - only been at it for about 30 years as a pro after all. I still have a long way to go...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
OK first of all I do not agree with what you said about the raven. I had it but a few hours and already I was showing my hands empty before and after and loading it with one hand unnoticed. Not only doing vanishes but switches etc.

I think it is just a matter of how quick you pick things up and I think you insluted the guy before he had even started by saying, just my 2 cents.

Now back to the question, if you ask me I'd do a trick that messes with them like color monte or , Be honest what is it? There are plenty of tricks that leave you clean and use standard decks/props, learn them and confuse them.
i try to change up the trick or go to another trick immediately like well have you seen this and then go to nxt trick or just go to someone else casually
Thanxe guys, This is really great advice, and a good thing for any begginer to learn. Im happy that this thread is going so long, and that it is reaching so many people. TY!
try a 3 card monte routine, that way you could start off with the kids thinking that they are better then you and then you can turn it around. alson i think that the kids will like the monte trick because of the fact that it is a con game.